Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 09:06   #1261
Senior - BHPian

The signal in front of Inorbit is now operational. Only time will tell how many people wait for it to turn green. At the moment, it is manned by the traffic wardens.
At 6:20 PM, there was hardly any traffic on Nagar road.
Very surprised!
Old 8th June 2012, 18:14   #1262
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Apparently, the president is in town and multiple roads might be closed. There is a press release out, but I am not able to open it:

http://www.punetrafficpolice.gov.in/...pressnote.html

Maybe others have a better luck. Can anyone tell me which all roads will be closed and when ?
Old 9th June 2012, 02:49   #1263
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Apparently, the president is in town and multiple roads might be closed. There is a press release out, but I am not able to open it:

http://www.punetrafficpolice.gov.in/...pressnote.html

Maybe others have a better luck. Can anyone tell me which all roads will be closed and when ?

I'll try to translate it here in brief ...

From 9th to 11th June 2012 try to avoid using the following roads during the stated timings.

Date 9.6.2012

1.Morning 07.35 to 08.30
Ganeshkhind Road Aundh RoadOld Mumbai Pune Road, Holkar Bridge, Alandi Road, Golf/Club Ambedkar Road, Airport Road2.Afternoon12 .15 to 13.30 Lohegaon Road, Airport road, Golf Club Road/Ambedkar Road, Holkar Bridge, Old Pune-mumbai Pune road, Aundh road, Ganeshkhind Road.

3.Late Afternoon17.00 to 18.00 Old Pune-mumbai Pune road, Aundh road, Ganeshkhind Road, Nashik Road, Telco Road.

4.Evening 19.00 to 20.15 Old Pune-mumbai Pune road, Aundh road, Ganeshkhind Road, Nashik Road, Telco Road.

Date 10.6.2012

1.Morning 09.30 to 10.00 Aundh road, Ganeshkhind Road.

2. Morning 10.30 to 11.30 Aundh road, Ganeshkhind Road Old Pune-mumbai Pune road, Holkar BridgeAlandi Road,Golf Club Road/Ambedkar Road, Airport Road

Roads will be closed as per requirements.

Please use alternate routes in order to avoid any inconveniences. This is an appeal by the Traffic Regulatory wing. Efforts will be taken to keep the above roads closed for the shortest period of time. For more info on the above call or contact the traffic control number : 020 26122000 or SMS helpline 8888004455.

*Translated accurately to the best of how I could. I hope the Message is conveyed. Just read whatever is important *

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2012 at 15:34. Reason: Please do NOT use external word softwares. Removing FONT tags
arrowaby is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 10:23   #1264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
- The underpass from Shivaji Nagar station to the High Court is set to open today. Lots of political party flags and security around.
- Will it decongest Sancheti junction? I don't know. Only time will tell. The construction of the underpass has been carried out by a construction firm owned by a powerful political person from that area.
It has decongested the Sancheti hospital traffic very successfully. Have been having nice traffic free rides from there for the past 2 days I suppose as a side effect they have increased the timer to 150 secs in the signal just after the bridge.

I wonder if they will stop the signal near the sancheti altogether.
_raVan_ is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 12:18   #1265
Senior - BHPian

It's Palkhi time folks.

Please take a look at the schedule given on Pune Traffic Police's website, so that you can make alternative plans to avoid the impending gridlocks: Sant Tukaram & Gnyaneshwar Maharaj Palkhi 2012

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th June 2012, 21:01   #1266
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
It's Palkhi time folks.

Please take a look at the schedule given on Pune Traffic Police's website, so that you can make alternative plans to avoid the impending gridlocks: Sant Tukaram & Gnyaneshwar Maharaj Palkhi 2012

Cheers,
Vikram
Thanks for providing the link Vikram, it is really very useful. Kudos to Pune Traffic Police for publishing the blocked roads & alternate routes well in advance. Wish these could have been in English as well so that folks who are not proficient in Marathi could also take advantage of the information.

Any idea when the Sant Dnyaneshwar palkhi is likely to be crossing the Sadal Baba Dargah chowk in Yerawada? I would be traveling through that road tomorrow @ 11:00 am & will travel further through Yerawada, Bund Garden bridge.
Old 13th June 2012, 10:10   #1267
BHPian

Hats off to PTP, just now received an SMS:
Pls avoid alandi road, khadki road, new sangamwadi bridge upto 17:00 hrs due to palakhi.

Though the eternal cribber in me still feels more should be done.

I was strolling with my labrador yesterday evening when kids were discussing that they have half day today due to palakhi and were happy about it, without having an iota of clue on why palakhi processions are held.

IMHO, palakhi is culturally etched within the city fabric and if young kids do not feel about it, we are going wrong somewhere.
Why cant:
a. Schools provide an arrangement for school kids to participate in palakhi - maybe for sometime? Should be applicable to office folks as well.
b. Why cant proper footpath (maybe even a makeshift one) be made for the participants, which do not interfere in traffic as well?
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2012, 12:01   #1268
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
IMHO, palakhi is culturally etched within the city fabric and if young kids do not feel about it, we are going wrong somewhere.
Why cant:
a. Schools provide an arrangement for school kids to participate in palakhi - maybe for sometime? Should be applicable to office folks as well.
b. Why cant proper footpath (maybe even a makeshift one) be made for the participants, which do not interfere in traffic as well?
I have not received any text from PTP, is there a link where we have to register?

Sorry Rahul, but I dont agree with the responsibility being given to schools for this topic.

I studied in a school where participation in such activities was mandatory and in my experience it was more stressful and tiresome. This also had a detrimental impact on academics for many others, though I will be the first to admit that I would not have studied any more or less regardless of such activities being held or otherwise.

Moreover, to take an example of a palkhi the risks of taking a bunch of school going children n the streets now is quite magnified to what the situation was in the 90s. Both in terms of risk and traffic/ crowd behaviour.

I would suggest that interested parents should educate their children on their own initiative. After all a days holiday is not so difficult to get.
Old 13th June 2012, 12:05   #1269
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
After all a days holiday is not so difficult to get.
Mate, its the pay-back of the holiday that you need to make, is painful

Well, my disclaimer said earlier - that I am an eternal cribber
Old 13th June 2012, 12:16   #1270
BHPian

Any idea about the impact of the Palki on Saswad road, Sholapur road, Magarpatta area. I've been warned that things are going to get very packed this side but I haven't found anything in the papers or PTP website.

Last edited by thewhiteknight : 13th June 2012 at 12:28.
Old 13th June 2012, 13:41   #1271
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewhiteknight View Post
Any idea about the impact of the Palki on Saswad road, Sholapur road, Magarpatta area. I've been warned that things are going to get very packed this side but I haven't found anything in the papers or PTP website.
The palkhi will be resting in Pune tomorrow and move onwards on Thursday morning. Expect the impact on Sholapur Road (upto Noble Hospital sq) till 11 AM on Friday
Old 13th June 2012, 15:05   #1272
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Sorry Rahul, but I dont agree with the responsibility being given to schools for this topic.

I studied in a school where participation in such activities was mandatory and in my experience it was more stressful and tiresome.

(...)I would suggest that interested parents should educate their children on their own initiative. After all a days holiday is not so difficult to get.
Completely agree. Palkhi is a faith thing more than a cultural thing, so if I lack the faith, all I see is logjammed roads and people getting inconvenienced for hours.

I remember as a kid all the kids in a certain class were asked to go and greet the Pope when he visited the St. Pius seminary in Goregaon East. A bunch of us went and waved to the Pope an some lucky girl (the topper in "Religion" if I remember correctly) got to hand him a bouquet and get her head patted.

Frankly I woulnd't like it if my kid was forced to do tha stuff these days. Times have changed.
Old 13th June 2012, 15:22   #1273
BHPian

Quick update is that the road from Jehangir Hospital towards RTO and Engineering College is closed. They have allowed traffic from Pune Station to Juna Bazaarto PMC building. As expected it is very crowded. So pls plan with time in hand if you want to venture out on the roads.
Old 13th June 2012, 15:42   #1274
BHPian

Couple of SMS from PTP
1. Pls avoid Deccan, simla(?), Laxmi road, nana peth from Kabir Chowk between 17.00 to 22.00 due to palakhi
2. Use route from Chaturshrungi, sangavi, pashan, Senapati Bapat Road to mhatre bridge-sarasbaug-volga chowk for going to satara road, solapur due to palakhi
Old 13th June 2012, 20:48   #1275
Senior - BHPian

huge jams around Chandani chowk. Plan accordingly. All entries into CC are jam packed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks