Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2012, 11:32   #1336
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I guess today will be the day I'll be testing the Vento on the Nande-Chande-Sus Road route. Wonder what is the condition of the road on that route.
I had seen that route on google maps when my wife was working in Hinjewadi. I didn't dare to embark on that route. If you do make it today let me know how it was.

Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 11:43   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I had seen that route on google maps when my wife was working in Hinjewadi. I didn't dare to embark on that route. If you do make it today let me know how it was.

Thanks
Ive been using that route as a daily means of commute. To and fro. Let aside a patch or two, and thats a brilliant route to take.
Barely takes time, as there's hardly any traffic on that route.

However, today might be an entirely different ball game. The road passes through Sus Gaon, and they have a dahi handi, right in the middle of the road.

Me thinks, its a good idea to leave from office around 4ish and stay locked up in the house.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:54   #1338
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ That route was our little secret...but no more. For the past couple of weeks or so, a number of cars headed towards Sus/Pashan/Bavdhan and beyond have started using it. Unfortunately a lot of 'em are city-slickers who have no idea how to drive on village roads or 2-lane highways.

A colleague of mine got bashed up because he was closely following a bunch of rash-driving cars that sideswiped a villager's vehicle. They reached in through his window and landed a couple of hard slaps before he managed to race away. I gave him some tips afterwards, reproducing here:

- Remember, you are in THEIR territory, not vice versa. Be respectful.
- Drive slowly and safely. There are little kids, old people and working men/women on foot and on bicycles/mopeds that may appear at any time.
- Don't blast loud music as you pass through the village.
- Don't blast your horn or indulge in any behaviour that may be construed as aggressive.
- Don't scare the animals. You do NOT want a buffalo stampede on your hands.
- On a 2-lane road, if the traffic ahead of you is stationary, that probably means there is a blockage up ahead. Do NOT take the opposite lane meant for oncoming traffic. If you DO and then are not able to merge back in, do NOT expect other drivers to make it easy for you.
- Village roads are not meant for racing or showboating.
- If you need to interact with any of the residents, be calm and accomodating. It helps to speak the local language, and a little politeness goes a long way. Also, do not patronise/ condescend to the "villagers". It is offensive and may inflame an already tense situation.

On average it takes me 20 minutes to get from Phase 2 (Infosys circle) to the Sus exit on the bypass highway. Maybe add 5-10 more minutes to account for bad/slushy roads in the rainy season. The alternative route via Wipro, Mezza9, Bhumkar Chowk or straight down Hinjewadi Main Road could take anywhere between 15-90 minutes, depending on the time of day and weather conditions.
noopster is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:33   #1339
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Not a good idea methinks. I went by that route last night and saw a couple of Dahi Handi Pandals on the way. So better to avoid.

I guess the best option would be to leave early.
You had to say that, didn't you Now all I can think is of going through that route!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I didn't dare to embark on that route. If you do make it today let me know how it was.
Thanks
Will do - but @Swananad/Anoop could give you a better update - they are using it on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Unfortunately a lot of 'em are city-slickers who have no idea how to drive on village roads or 2-lane highways.
So is the case on the Phase 1 - Mangaon - Phase 3 backside route. Earlier I used to see very few office cars taking this route, now it's almost a steady flow - some of them literally drive the way they do on normal Pune routes. Still the taxis haven't yet started using this, so atleast it ain't that bad yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Me thinks, its a good idea to leave from office around 4ish and stay locked up in the house.
Me thinks me will take up that idea of yours. The first part at-least, getting locked up at home is not my cup of tea!
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 14:55   #1340
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
So is the case on the Phase 1 - Mangaon - Phase 3 backside route. Earlier I used to see very few office cars taking this route, now it's almost a steady flow - some of them literally drive the way they do on normal Pune routes.
Actually it is the same route. From Phase 3 if you turn left after crossing Tech M (Megapolis on your right) the straight road there leads to Mann village and then Phase 1 (circle near Lemon Tree). There is a little right turn (when coming from Ph 3) with a barely-visible board saying "Chande" which takes you towards Sus/Lavale.

A lot of folks are taking this route to avoid Wipro circle, which has turned into a real mess these days.
Old 10th August 2012, 15:08   #1341
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
They made sure nobody can miss them romeos by putting up massive 2-storey high flex boards of themselves
I was disappointed when one hoarding of a very good looking lady was replaced with a local gunthesh. I dont get why they want to scare us people with their larger than life pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Starlets seem to be the theme this year , with a bunch of them adorning all flex boards alongside the Guntha mantris
I saw a flex board earlier this week stating Karisma Kapoor (or is it Kapur?) is due to visit Shikshak nagar.

Jokes apart, everyone please be careful in any discussions with these local gunthesh's. also, if any of you intend to take your family along for any festivities, please ensure everyone is alert at all times.

Quote:
I gave him some tips afterwards, reproducing here:
I would like to add a couple of to dos which is good to follow at all places:
- Keep doors and windows locked at all times. not everyone is knocking on your door to ask for IPL scores.
- follow traffic rules; no unnecessary overtaking or honking
- drive slower than on normal city roads
Old 10th August 2012, 17:06   #1342
BHPian

Have lately noticed a bunch of outsiders, 2 wheelers with registration MH22, MH27, et al who have been creating nuisance in the already highly undisciplined Pune traffic. These people seem to be under the impression that they are driving in their native places and will happily cruise at 30kph in the midst of extreme right lane / middle lane on SB road oppposite ICC or say on Law college road. I gave a piece of my mind one such outsider yesterday.

Also, the traffic dept has closed down entry of 4 wheelers in wakdewadi subway which is creating high traffic on Sancheti bridge and the under construction Bhosale Nagar road (this work has been going on atleast for the past 1.5 years). Doesnt it make more sense to have the Wakdewadi Subway closed for two wheelers and open it only one way for 4 wheelers? Say, mornings, only 4 wheelers can come from Agriculture college towards L&T Infotech / Bombay highway and in the eve you can enter the subway and go only towards Agriculture college? 2 wheelers will definitely not cause 30 min long ques near the Sancheti Bridge or even in Bhosale nagar in the evenings

Quote:
^^
- On a 2-lane road, if the traffic ahead of you is stationary, that probably means there is a blockage up ahead. Do NOT take the opposite lane meant for oncoming traffic. If you DO and then are not able to merge back in, do NOT expect other drivers to make it easy for you.
-
This, i believe does not apply only to village roads.
Unfortunately, hardly anyone has patience and decency to que up behind already stationery vehicles

Last edited by noopster : 13th August 2012 at 08:57. Reason: Please use "multi-quote" option instead of posting back to back
Old 11th August 2012, 14:51   #1343
Senior - BHPian

Crazy traffic jam, yesterday morning @ 7.30AM. Deccan main chowk. Deadlock triangle caused by over enthusiastic two wheeler riders. In the process, they ended up jamming everyone. Some super enthusiastic two wheeler riders tried finding gaps (such as the girl between the PMT and other bus ) and ended up locking each other even more! Sadly only the girl between the buses was wearing a helmet.

Nowaday's there seems to be a really bad/crazy habit developed by 2 wheelers in Pune - they keep on coming to the right till they occupy almost all of the oncoming lane.

EDIT: Signals were not working early in the morning.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-photo0095.jpg
Old 11th August 2012, 15:39   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7
Nowaday's there seems to be a really bad/crazy habit developed by 2 wheelers in Pune - they keep on coming to the right till they occupy almost all of the oncoming lane.
I am the regular sufferer of this new irritating habit at CDSS and karishma chowks. The worst part is, they glare at you in disdain if you demand for space as if it were our mistake.
Old 13th August 2012, 11:33   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Heavily OT, but isnt the sky absolutely beautiful, in that pic?

2 wheelers are the new auto's/six seaters. Only those with less or no brains are given 2 wheelers to ride, as they please. Sorry, if this offends fellow BHPians, but sadly, thats true.
Old 13th August 2012, 16:00   #1346
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
Crazy traffic jam, yesterday morning @ 7.30AM. Deccan main chowk. Deadlock triangle caused by over enthusiastic two wheeler riders. In the process, they ended up jamming everyone.
yes sir, finally someone got a pic of this melee. Usually seen at any crossroad in Pune where the signal is not working. Most common sight on Thursdays in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
I am the regular sufferer of this new irritating habit at CDSS and karishma chowks. The worst part is, they glare at you in disdain if you demand for space as if it were our mistake.
what is CDSS?

Quote:
Only those with less or no brains are given 2 wheelers to ride, as they please.
I think you intended to say less or no money, and not brains?! Morons are the same regardless of what vehicle they drive, its just more possible to throw a 2 wheeler around.

My favourite has to be the Pulsar and if anyone is offended, you are the one who keeps cutting me off.
Old 13th August 2012, 16:15   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive

what is CDSS?

I think you intended to say less or no money, and not brains?! Morons are the same regardless of what vehicle they drive, its just more possible to throw a 2 wheeler around.

My favourite has to be the Pulsar and if anyone is offended, you are the one who keeps cutting me off.
CDSS: Cummins Diesel Sales and Services. It's near Patwardhan Baug. Near Mehendale Garage.

No, I do intend to say brains. Obviously, the easiest to identify are the morons without a helmet. They have no brains to protect!
Old 13th August 2012, 16:24   #1348
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

what is CDSS?

CDSS = Cummins Diesel Sales and Service LTD

And bang on with the Pulsar thingy. Pulsar, Honda Dio, Auto rickshaws are some of the rodents on Pune roads that cause a lot of unwanted trouble. (No offense meant to the owners of these vehicles.)
Old 13th August 2012, 16:36   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
CDSS: Cummins Diesel Sales and Services. It's near Patwardhan Baug. Near Mehendale Garage.

No, I do intend to say brains. Obviously, the easiest to identify are the morons without a helmet. They have no brains to protect!
oh yes that place. I didnt put the twos together. perhaps confused as my first bike was called the same.

Good, at least someone is saying I have/ am protecting some brains.
Old 13th August 2012, 21:50   #1350
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive
what is CDSS?
CDSS is for Cummins Diesel Sales and Services.
It is near Hotel Abhishek ( oh yes, this hotel is also a nuisance) in Patwardhan Baug.
Cheers
Abhijeet.

Most Viewed