Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2011, 17:27   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

I have one query for all Pune guys. On the Senapati Bapat road have you noticed the right most lane (going towards University Road) there is a Red coloured strip on the entire stretch. What is its significance? I wonder if there is some traffic rule associated with it.

I had this query for a long time and finally found a thread to post the question.
Old 7th July 2011, 17:29   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
I have one query for all Pune guys. On the Senapati Bapat road have you noticed the right most lane (going towards University Road) there is a Red coloured strip on the entire stretch. What is its significance? I wonder if there is some traffic rule associated with it.

I had this query for a long time and finally found a thread to post the question.
That was for that gaming event held I guess. That lane was dedicated to the Games traffic.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 17:31   #33
BHPian

^^^ That's right. A lane was dedicated for the CWYG vehicles to carry athletes etc. IIRC, a significantly heavy fine was levied on non CWYG vehicles seen using that lane.
mmxylorider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 17:33   #34
Senior - BHPian

^^True, that was the dedicated CYG lane. Much like the dedicated CWG lanes that had come up in Delhi during the CWG.
However, now that red lane has no particular significance as such.

EDIT: Back to back posts by MMXylo and me.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2011, 20:16   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

Damn I always thought it was the dedicated bus lane and used to feel very amused that no bus ever seems to use it!
Old 7th July 2011, 21:03   #36
BHPian

Wow. Now I know. I used to think that it meant you *HAD* to stay in that lane all the way till the roundabout at start of Law College Road (The way you have solid line demarcating lanes in US where you couldnt change lanes).
Old 8th July 2011, 07:03   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
That was for that gaming event held I guess. That lane was dedicated to the Games traffic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
^^^ That's right. A lane was dedicated for the CWYG vehicles to carry athletes etc. IIRC, a significantly heavy fine was levied on non CWYG vehicles seen using that lane.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^^True, that was the dedicated CYG lane. Much like the dedicated CWG lanes that had come up in Delhi during the CWG.
However, now that red lane has no particular significance as such.

EDIT: Back to back posts by MMXylo and me.
Isn't it strange that the strip is only marked on the Senapati Bapat Road? I do not recollect seeing that on the road leading to Balewadi stadium. Strange ways of the organizing team.
Old 8th July 2011, 11:09   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isn't it strange that the strip is only marked on the Senapati Bapat Road? I do not recollect seeing that on the road leading to Balewadi stadium. Strange ways of the organizing team.
I think the other roads to the stadium are either too wide or too narrow to accommodate this. But yeah, strange it is!
Old 8th July 2011, 11:18   #39
Senior - BHPian

^^I am so tempted to reply to the above strange ways, but then I am dead sure, this discussion would take a political turn. Best left avoided.

The logical reason may be- the other roads, Sus Rd (which was widened for that purpose), Baner-Pashan Rd are wide enough to acommodate traffic.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:05   #40
Senior - BHPian

The other day, someone was telling me the permission for the pedestrian underpass (or whatever that is) being constructed near MIT College has been denied.
This is like....
First they dig up 50% of the road, complete 20% of the work, let the monsoons begin and then deny the permission.

There is a pedestrian underbridge in existence at the beginning of Mhatre Bridge. Who uses it ? Crores of rupees have been spent constructing it, and it lies mostly unused. Or totally unused. People continue to cross the roads from the roads, and there is no footpath either.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:39   #41
Senior - BHPian

No wonder that bridge construction, though 80% complete has been stopped completely for the last few days. This seriously is getting on my nerves now.
Why cant people get the bloody permission before begining the work? Leaves me clueless.
Old 13th July 2011, 12:52   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
There is a pedestrian underbridge in existence at the beginning of Mhatre Bridge. Who uses it ? Crores of rupees have been spent constructing it, and it lies mostly unused. Or totally unused. People continue to cross the roads from the roads, and there is no footpath either.
Quote:
Why cant people get the bloody permission before begining the work? Leaves me clueless.
Fabulous! In any case, whats the use of these projects even after completion? The overbridge at SNDT is at least used a bit though some people still prefer to tempt their fate by dashing across the road.
I guess the only underbridge that is used is the Garware bridge at Deccan. And even there we have people strolling across.

No use in erecting barricades: there is one barricade that has been cut out; probably 15 metres away from a dedicated zebra crossing across Karve road (outside Yatri hotel/ Fotofast). People cross the road by entering through the hollow as if it were an army training obstacle. Why not walk the extra 10 or 15m?
Old 13th July 2011, 14:05   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
People cross the road by entering through the hollow as if it were an army training obstacle. Why not walk the extra 10 or 15m?
Didnt you know, the Indian Armed Forces is recruiting .
Jokes apart, Ive seen people get injured while crossing that. Heck, even seen an accident happen only because of such morons.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 14:18   #44
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Fabulous! In any case, whats the use of these projects even after completion? The overbridge at SNDT is at least used a bit though some people still prefer to tempt their fate by dashing across the road.
I guess the only underbridge that is used is the Garware bridge at Deccan. And even there we have people strolling across.
Quote:
Didnt you know, the Indian Armed Forces is recruiting .
Jokes apart, Ive seen people get injured while crossing that. Heck, even seen an accident happen only because of such morons.
The problem lies in basic road manners. People won't make use of anything until enforced. Do they use footpaths? Forget footover bridges built across roads, they don't use them at railway lines either. Everytime I open the newspaper, there is news of cycle tracks being sanctioned by the PMC. How many school kids, bicycle riders do you see making use of them wherever available? The only way to enforce such usage is by force and by the fear of heavy fines. Jaywalking should be a punishable offence just how it is in developed countries.

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th July 2011 at 14:20.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th July 2011, 14:28   #45
BHPian

Quote:
@ Amit: I can answer this a little better. The RED STRIP was clearly for the purpose mentioned by others on the thread, but mostly use by our dear politician (now in Tihar jail) to come in and out of this busy section. So we did not see it anywhere else in Pune or even leading to the Balewadi stadium.

How I know this ? I work for the company who sponsored a fortune for the games. I was the games management systems project manager and used to sit at the senapati bapat road office. Yes we are the ones who have the Olympics contract till 2016 too. And we are glad we were not a part of the CWGD2010 games
the-rare-one is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks