Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th August 2011, 14:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

One of the reasons for the jam at Wakad flyover was, a 407 coming in the opposite direction of the traffic, right at the chowk. As if the six seaters, the people coming from the illlegal U Turn side and the vegetable vendors werent enough! The cops as usual turned a blind eye to the 407.
Old 29th August 2011, 16:41   #227
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
O
Also, 21000 cusecs of water has been released from Khadakwasla dam. Expect flooding on river roads. So people planning to go to the DCC Mall area () better avoid today.
Please note, this has been revised to almost 41,000 cusecs, as of today afternoon. Chances of flooding in low lying areas.
Old 30th August 2011, 10:59   #228
Senior - BHPian

Today's TOI carries a detailed article on the overall condition of the roads in Pune. Its bad! If such piddly rains can create this, imagine if we had the same administration in somewhere like Cherapunji!
Old 30th August 2011, 11:15   #229
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Today's TOI carries a detailed article on the overall condition of the roads in Pune. Its bad! If such piddly rains can create this, imagine if we had the same administration in somewhere like Cherapunji!
Check out the photos here : Article Window

Really paints a sorry picture.

Also today, saw yet another accident on the NH4 bypass, near Praj. Or maybe a bit further. I wasnt sure where I was because I couldnt see out and I was reading a book.
A light CV (perhaps an Eicher) had rear ended a Tempo Traveler. The cabin of the truck was completely smashed and looked like the door had been ripped open to get the occupants out. For some reason, the TT's front windscreen was also smashed, leading me to believe someone (or something) hit it real hard after collision causing it to break. Sorry sight. :(
Old 30th August 2011, 11:51   #230
Senior - BHPian

Sajo: When did this occur? I crossed that road around 9:30ish and didnt see any signs of an accident. Could have probably happened after I crossed.

The photos do paste a sorry picture of the overall infrastructure in Pune. The one is Warje though is a result of digging activity. That was done just prior to the onset of monsoons, and as usual, only half the work was done.
Old 30th August 2011, 12:02   #231
Senior - BHPian

This happened at around 8.30 I guess, when I was passing by. Looked like a case of sudden braking gone wrong. Again.
Old 30th August 2011, 17:18   #232
BHPian

Over the weekend, I'd travelled from Pimple Nilakh to Chandni Chowk post sunset. The stretch from PN to the highway is just plain scary. It's a wwwide road being built, no dividers, no streetlights, no cat-eyes and the road simply does not reflect back any light. All I was doing was following the taillights in front. At least there aren't any big craters - that would've been a recipe for daily accidents.
Old 31st August 2011, 07:44   #233
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
Over the weekend, I'd travelled from Pimple Nilakh to Chandni Chowk post sunset. The stretch from PN to the highway is just plain scary. It's a wwwide road being built, no dividers, no streetlights, no cat-eyes and the road simply does not reflect back any light. All I was doing was following the taillights in front. At least there aren't any big craters - that would've been a recipe for daily accidents.
Apologies for my ignorance. But where is Pimple Nilakh? I had heard of Pimple Saudagar (though still don't know the exact location).
Old 31st August 2011, 09:14   #234
Distinguished - BHPian

For the past couple of days, have been noticing a strange sort of vibration while waiting on the Wakad flyover. This is on the upward-sloping section (headed from HJW to Aundh). The first time I actually thought I was being nudged by the vehicle behind me. The car seemed to rock from side to side.

It's a very scary experience and ties in with what someone was mentioning that the bridge is handling loads way over its rated capacity.
Old 31st August 2011, 09:20   #235
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
For the past couple of days, have been noticing a strange sort of vibration while waiting on the Wakad flyover. This is on the upward-sloping section (headed from HJW to Aundh). The first time I actually thought I was being nudged by the vehicle behind me. The car seemed to rock from side to side.

It's a very scary experience and ties in with what someone was mentioning that the bridge is handling loads way over its rated capacity.

I too had reported this in the HJW thread a while ago. It feels like a suspension bridge in strong winds.

Quote:
Also, call me stupid, but thats also partly because I do get the feeling that the Wakad bridge is structurally unsound and you can actually feel it bobbing and swaying if you are stationary on it for longish periods of times. Like the feeling you get when you are on foot on a railway bridge and the train goes past.
Old 1st September 2011, 00:01   #236
dot
Senior - BHPian

The roads around east Pune have all gone to dumps. Yet the Civic does not bottom out, thankfully. Maybe due to the fact that the current top speed is 17 kmph.

Last edited by dot : 1st September 2011 at 00:03.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 09:15   #237
dot
Senior - BHPian

Managed traffic at Shastri Chawk for a minute today.

This was before 9 a.m. so traffic signal was off. Naturally everyone had a right to "go". Soon a gridlock resulted. No one was willing to wait. Finally I got out of my car and stopped a few vehicles and allowed the grid lock to ease out. Interesting thing was people listened.

Less than a minute I realized that my car was clocking the traffic as no one was inside! Time for me to go too.
dot is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:48   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Dream run into work today. Sus Road to Hinjewadi Phase 2 (my office gate) in 16 minutes. And I wasn't even racing like some morons I saw.

God bless long weekends.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:10   #239
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone dare to venture out last evening?
I was an idiot who thought its would be better to take the car for a spin. Guess where? Deccan of all places! Roads were jam packed with Ganpati processions. To top that, it was pouring cats, dogs and all other domestic animals. Plus the horrible roads that our city has.

Start/Stop traffic killed the already dismal FE that the Superb manages. Got home to a shocking figure of 6.7kmpl. I am sticking to the Diesel Laura.
Old 2nd September 2011, 11:37   #240
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Did anyone dare to venture out last evening?
I was an idiot who thought its would be better to take the car for a spin. Guess where? Deccan of all places! Roads were jam packed with Ganpati processions. To top that, it was pouring cats, dogs and all other domestic animals. Plus the horrible roads that our city has.

Start/Stop traffic killed the already dismal FE that the Superb manages. Got home to a shocking figure of 6.7kmpl. I am sticking to the Diesel Laura.
I did.
Took me 1+ hour to get from Kothrud to Aranyeshwar at around 7 in the evenings. I could see a lot of police presence though, which was reassuring.
Coming back after 9 was nice though, rains meant not much traffic on the roads.

@Dot : nice gesture their sir. Many amongst us (me included) would have just cursed and tried to wiggle through the traffic.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks