Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th September 2011, 12:17   #286
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The Warje pothole is really bad, there are also competing ones on that bypass near Praj and on the Baner flyover.
Bala, as of last evening, work on the Warje potholes has begun in full swing. While coming back from Hinjewadi, I normally take the Warje route (to avoid the cluster**** at Chandani Chowk) and did see that, potholes were relatively covered up . They have also erected barricades on the median from Warje chowk to Kakde city, thus stopping those pesky two wheelers, who jump the median.

The flyover past Warje flyover (the oldest one on that stretch) though is a rollercoaster ride. Potholes in plenty. Rather, there is some amount of road between potholes.
Old 9th September 2011, 12:34   #287
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Bala, as of last evening, work on the Warje potholes has begun in full swing. While coming back from Hinjewadi, I normally take the Warje route (to avoid the cluster**** at Chandani Chowk) and did see that, potholes were relatively covered up . They have also erected barricades on the median from Warje chowk to Kakde city, thus stopping those pesky two wheelers, who jump the median.
Swanand, its great in fact a relief to hear that. I hope they also finish work on the potholes that dot the huge curve from Kothrud towards Praj. They are hugely offputting and plain dangerous as drivers try to swerve/ brake at the last moment. Also a huge risk to the suspension if someone hits them at high speed IMHO.

I believe that for regulating traffic here it is ideal to ensure:
- All roads in Pune should have complete end to end dividers (chest level height) with no breaks. Nobody understands or bothers to respect the lines (single/ double/ white/ yellow)
- Offending vehicles should be confiscated, wheel locked and left on the roadside for 72 hours at owners risk. Insurance companies should be instructed to check with police station for traffic offense history and reject claims that arise from this.
- Penalties/ fines should be levied as a % of vehicle OTR cost (new as of date, regardless of how old the vehicle is)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
No Ojas. No response. I have also lost the tracking number now as my laptop crashed. So no way to follow it up.
Amit, there is a way if you forgot the complaint number. Go to this link, choose the Forgot complaint number option, put in the email id you registered with and the month/ year. It will give a list of all complaints filed with that email id in that month/ year. Here is the link:
http://rti.india.gov.in/rti_check_re....php?cat=compl

Just checked status of my complaint. It says "Signed copy awaited". It looks like we have to send a signed copy to someone somewhere to initiate the procedure. Funnily, I dont remember reading this anywhere while posting. Looks like we will have to start over again.

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th September 2011 at 12:48. Reason: Added link and details
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th September 2011, 14:23   #288
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
You should see the bridge just before the mundhwa chowk across the river. It is dis-integrating with huge craters. God knows when they will repair it.

Dot are you using this bridge?
Oh yes, that bridge is my favorite. Whenever I want to stretch the suspension a bit, like after a long rest, I take that bridge.

BTW, this bridge has been in the same state for the last five years.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:56   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
Couple more pothole free road which comes to mind :
1. DP road which runs from Mahatma Society --> Kumar Parisar and meets Karve road.
2. Karve road from Nal stop to Deccan is also relatively pothole free.
I stay right on this Kumar Parisar road in one of the societies. They have not yet restored the footpath on the Mahesh Vidyalay side. I hope once they finish the pipeline work, they would restore this road to its full glory.
Old 9th September 2011, 14:57   #290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Amit, there is a way if you forgot the complaint number. Go to this link, choose the Forgot complaint number option, put in the email id you registered with and the month/ year. It will give a list of all complaints filed with that email id in that month/ year. Here is the link:
Check Your Complaint Status: Central Information Commission (CIC) Online

Just checked status of my complaint. It says "Signed copy awaited". It looks like we have to send a signed copy to someone somewhere to initiate the procedure. Funnily, I dont remember reading this anywhere while posting. Looks like we will have to start over again.
Thanks Bala. I was able to find the complaint and even mine is in the status Signed Copy Awaited. I think that is the default status as soon as the complaint is lodged. Because i logged the complaint on 13/07/11 and the status is as on 13/07 I guess they are banking on people not submitting a hard copy of the complaint so that they don't have to act on it. Good excuse. I would be taking a print out and sending it across. Now to figure out to whom it is to be sent - Ministry of Surface Transport?
Old 9th September 2011, 22:07   #291
dot
Senior - BHPian

Folks who know Holkar Bridge route will know that if you cross the bridge from Yerwada side and go towards Khadki, you will come to a detour within 200m from the bridge. Police has put iron fences covering half of the road to divert traffic into the detour. Rest of the road is one way from the other direction.

Naturally most two and three-wheelers go around the iron fence and proceed against the one way. In lean times, taxis, cars, state buses also do the same. So for people coming in the right direction of the one way it is a constant menace as you have to make way for these traffic violators.

Today when I was coming back to Yerawada, in the right direction of this oneway (do you expect anything else?) I had to stop infront the iron fence as a Polo was trying to go around the fence and proceed against the one-way and was blocking my path. A police fellow came and told me to move off and let the Polo go.

Imagine who is the violator now?
Old 10th September 2011, 22:31   #292
BHPian

One small update regarding the newly constructed flyover at Hadapsar and Magarpatta Road crossing -

a. half of the street lights is OFF (yes, in a newly constructed flyover)

b. coming from Magarpatta City in the south direction, the flyover is a T-Junction, that is from Solapur to Pune side --> traffic can go straight and also take a right turn (towards Magarpatta), where as traffic from Magarpatta can only take right turn towards Fatima Nagar/Race Course (crossing Ranka jewellers).

With NO traffic signals, its an accident prone jone, someone not familiar with this route please take caution while driving.

* Posting a drawing for easy reference.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-accprnzone.jpg

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2011 at 12:45. Reason: As per your reported post
AvonA7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 08:34   #293
Team-BHP Support

Gentlemen, while we rant on status of roads, here's something equally interesting to discuss. Tolls!
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 09:32   #294
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvonA7 View Post
One small update regarding the newly constructed flyover at Hadapsar and Magarpatta Road crossing -

a. half of the street lights is OFF (yes, in a newly constructed flyover)

b. coming from Magarpatta City in the south direction, the flyover is a T-Junction, that is from Solapur to Pune side --> traffic can go straight and also take a right turn (towards Magarpatta), where as traffic from Magarpatta can only take right turn towards Fatima Nagar/Race Course (crossing Ranka jewellers).

With NO traffic signals, its an accident prone jone, someone not familiar with this route please take caution while driving.

* Posting a drawing for easy reference.

Attachment 607511
This has to be one of the worst planned flyovers I have ever seen. Flyovers are meant to avoid junctions. They have created one more junction on the flyover. Superb PMC

Last edited by GTO : 12th September 2011 at 12:45. Reason: Quoted post has been edited
Old 12th September 2011, 11:32   #295
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if this will be considered as a rant. Or rather, if this should be a rant. Due to the Ganpati immersion, most of the roads in Pune were choc-o-block last evening. Ganpati pandals were possibly been given right of way. Which is understandable.
What I want to point out, is the efficiancy of the Pune Police who made sure that all was on track and no mishaps or traffic snarls took place. Well, at least they tried their best to avoid traffic snarls. Kudos to Pune Police!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 11:37   #296
Senior - BHPian

Balewadi crater has been fixed. Which is good. But its patchwork. If it rains, this will be washed away fast.

Since people are talking about the road from Kumar Parisar to Paranjape School road, there is a whopping big flyover on that road. No idea why its been built so unscientifically and why does it have to be big enough to cause airplanes to slow down.
Old 12th September 2011, 12:37   #297
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
What I want to point out, is the efficiancy of the Pune Police who made sure that all was on track and no mishaps or traffic snarls took place. Well, at least they tried their best to avoid traffic snarls. Kudos to Pune Police!
Kudos indeed, I cannot begin to imagine how difficult it must be for cops around this time. I always try to chat up with a few of them and try to cheer them up. I dont know if it would be wise to offer them anything to eat or drink, so not tried it yet.

By the way, I almost knocked a biker off the Paud road flyover yesterday on my way back from Nal Stop. This biker was coming in the opposite direction and there was no indication of oncoming vehicles on that one way flyover. I was surprised to see him there but there were other vehicles starting to climb the flyover towards Nal Stop, so I didnt waste a rant at/ on him.

Also, it seems to be a free for all this morning with no one ways being respected in town. Be careful

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Since people are talking about the road from Kumar Parisar to Paranjape School road, there is a whopping big flyover on that road. No idea why its been built so unscientifically and why does it have to be big enough to cause airplanes to slow down.
Yes, sajo. it is my favorite hill in town. The Nano actually climbs it and comes down the other side. Maybe they can dig a tunnel through it? It is risky indeed and should be reported on the Pune police FB page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Gentlemen, while we rant on status of roads, here's something equally interesting to discuss. Tolls!
@moralfibre: I filed a RTI request for knowing the status of this toll naka. We had extensive discussions (on some toll related thread here), but no one had any concrete information. Unfortunately, I only found out last week that the RTI request also needs to be printed and sent to someone. Now trying to figure out whom/ where I should send it.
By the way, the Pune mirror article is a bit ambiguous. IIRC, there was an article in a Marthi newspaper, but I cannot find it anywhere.

During my last visit there, my friend who was driving preferred to pay the toll. Nevertheless I had asked the attendant about the legality and he asked me to bring a copy of the news article. I havent been in that direction since, but I would be disgusted to pay toll there.

Edit: I just saw the other link posted (http://thepunekar.com/2010/01/29/civ...on-city-roads/)

Apparently, this was raised in the civic body meeting in Jan 2010 and the matter was delayed as it was sub judice. Has the status not changed since then? I guess I will take this up with Mr. Kemse the local corporator; someone I know knows him.

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th September 2011 at 12:46.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th September 2011, 12:48   #298
Senior - BHPian

Bala, the same happened to me last night as well. That flyover has always been for traffic flowing from Karve Rd to Paud Rd. Never has it been vice versa.
Last evening (around 11:00PM), right on the turn (which BTW is a blind spot) saw a car coming in the opposite direction. I was shocked to say the least, but then later on saw, cops were diverting the entire traffic and urging them to use the flyover to go to Karve Rd.
Old 12th September 2011, 14:34   #299
BHPian

I'm really happy about the roads in PCMC.

They are far far better and well maintained than those in PMC. Here we can easily touch the 5th and 6th gears often. Few potholes here and there but they are manageable. Not an issue considering that most of the roads are well maintained. Moreover there are hardly any roads I have seen with any water logging whatsoever.

The drive all the way from Nigdi to Khadki is cool. The problem and the congestion starts when you reach the Khadki station.
The only problem now is Hinjewadi area.

During a recent trip to JM Road, it felt more like a swimming pool. Completely water-logged.
Old 12th September 2011, 21:48   #300
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@moralfibre: I filed a RTI request for knowing the status of this toll naka.
Maybe we should file RTIs for the following (and some-what OT on this thread, but dear to Puneris) tolls

1. Panchgani
2. Mahabaleswar
3. Pen road (E-way to Pen)
4. Alibagh road from Pen
5. Alibagh entry
6. Nangaon (off Alibagh) entry

I had raised queries at each and everyone of these tolls about what they are doing with my money. To show me some records.

I think you all can guess what were their reactions
dot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks