Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th September 2011, 12:32   #331
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Is the concept of clear exits totally lost on Punekars and Indians in general?
What about the multiple entries/ exits around Warje?

Also, the vehicles coming from HJW and exiting the bypass at Kothrud are blocked by (that sorry excuse of a one way system) vehicles coming down from Banjara Hills/ Bavdhan. Subsequently, there is always at least one moron who switches to the centre lane with a huge risk of being rear ended by speeding vehicles on the fast lane towards Warje.
Old 20th September 2011, 13:00   #332
Senior - BHPian

Entries/Exits on the entire bypass (right from Kondhwa to Ravet) are absolutely absurd. It sure does question the sanity of the designer/engineer. How can you have traffic crossings on the bypass? Praj exit to be precise. Its a nightmare to drive on that stretch.

I consider the entire bypass a huddle race while commuting to and fro. Each huddle succesfully crossed, and I pat my back in my mind.
Old 20th September 2011, 14:17   #333
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
[*]The Sus Road exit to the bypass heading North (towards Mumbai), i.e. right outside Pashankar Auto:....vehicles coming from the South also take reverse U-turns (legally) as one tries to merge.
That is an accident waiting to happen. A third lane on the road should start much before the exit appears, so that people intending to turn can indicate and occupy that lane.
Its good that that point is usually very crowded, otherwise a car coming from Katraj at decent speed in the left lane may rear end the one waiting for its turn to take a U-turn right on the highway.
Old 20th September 2011, 15:33   #334
Team-BHP Support

The new bridge at Bundgarden has already been completed. I guess they will wait for an appointment by some minister to come and inaugrate it by 2014. Does anyone know how that bridge will help decongest Yerwada junction?

A picture in todays Pune Mirror shows the 144 year old Fitzgerald bridge (aka Yerwada bridge), in shambles with weeds growing out of its columns. Still, it is my most admired piece of engineering for having withstood the testimony of time. I doubt any maintenance was required for that bridge in all its years of connecting Pune across the river bank. I am told that they will be declaring it a heritage structure and building a park on it to compensate the loss of garden land for building the new one. I really hope they do not do this.

EDIT: Here are some old time images of the surrounding areas:

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlin...u00026000.html
http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlin...u00025000.html

Last edited by moralfibre : 20th September 2011 at 15:40.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 16:12   #335
Senior - BHPian

^^Moralfibre: There is an interesting story attached to that bridge too. Dont know the authenticity. but nonetheless interesting.

When the bridge was about to complete 100 years of existence (somtime in the late 90's), the PMC had received a letter from the British company that built it, stating - in a few days, the bridge completes 100 years of existence and post that date it (the bridge) isnt their repsonsibility anymore!

Can we ever have such an example in India?

I still do not understand as to how would the new bridge help de-congest traffic. What's to happen to Bund Garden in that case?
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2011, 16:30   #336
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
When the bridge was about to complete 100 years of existence (somtime in the late 90's), the PMC had received a letter from the British company that built it, stating - in a few days, the bridge completes 100 years of existence and post that date it (the bridge) isnt their repsonsibility anymore!

I still do not understand as to how would the new bridge help de-congest traffic. What's to happen to Bund Garden in that case?
I thought that story pertained to the Sangam bridge near RTO.

IMHO, it is a bit silly as the traffic congestion was never on this side of the bridge. The problem exists due to the narrow road on the Yerwada side signal of this same bridge
Old 21st September 2011, 13:17   #337
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone realised - There are literally 100's of turn's on Paud Rd. It is so annoying to slow down at every 100 mtrs. Why cant they just close all the turns and make 1 or 2 major junctions where U/Right/Left turns can be taken. This way, a lot of traffic jams can be avoided.

Also, complete that bloody subway work (opp Kinara) already. Its been more than 6 months now and its status quo.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:03   #338
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also, complete that bloody subway work (opp Kinara) already. Its been more than 6 months now and its status quo.
Add to that the ones in Bavdhan. They are already spending so much pumping water out from them. Though I suspect the ones there are storm water drains, and not pedestrians crossings.
All that hassle for something which people are not going to use anyway.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:16   #339
BHPian

Quote:
Has anyone realised - There are literally 100's of turn's on Paud Rd. It is so annoying to slow down at every 100 mtrs. Why cant they just close all the turns and make 1 or 2 major junctions where U/Right/Left turns can be taken. This way, a lot of traffic jams can be avoided.

+1 to this concretisation has destroyed Paud road. Who on earth recommend a mini elevated road for the underpass near monginis(more vidyalaya). And as you said rightly numerous open sections for turns have messed the traffic flow up. It is like free for all.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:21   #340
Senior - BHPian

@Sajo: The Bavdhan work is completely beyond my logical understanding. Such a lovely road it was! Drivers dream, if you ask me. PMC just had to ruin it for us. And for what - some say water pipeline, some say pedestrian crossing.

@Heman: Very true. Not only that, the corporator has had the nerve to go ahead and put up a board stating the expenses for the (unwanted) work.
Old 21st September 2011, 14:41   #341
Senior - BHPian

I think MIT college mini-flyover turned out to be an execution mess, but the intention was good. Literally hundreds of school kids excitedly cross these roads during school days , and they need something which is safe and traffic free.
Though I agree all that digging could have been avoided and a ped-overbridge would have served the purpose just fine.
Old 21st September 2011, 15:07   #342
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Add to that the ones in Bavdhan. They are already spending so much pumping water out from them. Though I suspect the ones there are storm water drains, and not pedestrians crossings.
All that hassle for something which people are not going to use anyway.
Quote:
@Sajo: The Bavdhan work is completely beyond my logical understanding. Such a lovely road it was! Drivers dream, if you ask me. PMC just had to ruin it for us. And for what - some say water pipeline, some say pedestrian crossing.
As someone who has been using this road for the last 10 years I agree with your observations. The road from University circle to Chandni chowk was an absolute delight to drive on even when it was half the width it currently has. So the authorities widened the road from the start of Bavdhan to Chandni chowk. That was really a welcome move. It eased up quite a load of traffic that had developed due to new societies that had come up.

The authorities were watching this closely and then, they put up a few dozen speed breakers in the armament area. And added a few pedestrian crossings that no pedestrians ever use. They proudly put up a figure of Rs. 4.5 Crores as expenses towards these crossings. One spell of heavy rain and they simulated a moon drive in Bavdhan.

Now they are building storm water drains everywhere. Before completion, they did ensure that a picture of the person responsible for this mess is put up.

Have you heard about the activists wanting to save Ram nadi? I really would want to know where they were when Ram nadi was an alcohol brewery.

Last edited by moralfibre : 21st September 2011 at 15:08.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:02   #343
BHPian

^^

Spot on!
The chandni-chowk to Pashan road was a driver's delight those days..umm nostalgia..

Up untill 5-6 years ago, it was the perfect road to go for a long drive (maybe a date or testing the new car )

All's gone, those silly speed breakers, and of course, the lousy traffic too!
Old 21st September 2011, 16:08   #344
Senior - BHPian

@Monaro: Why 5-6 years ago? I remember it to be like that, as late as 2009. Ok, the aramment area's speed breakers were slightly justified. But those hills they built in Bavdhan were absolutely not! They ruined it with those hills (breakers) and now the storm water storage. Why cant they plan before hand?

Thankfully the road leading to NDA (post Garden Court) is still a delight, barring a few breakers which, were a necessasity, IMO. The twisties are amazing fun to drive. Lets hope they leave that road as is.
Old 21st September 2011, 16:15   #345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thankfully the road leading to NDA (post Garden Court) is still a delight, barring a few breakers which, were a necessasity, IMO. The twisties are amazing fun to drive. Lets hope they leave that road as is.
Sshhh already!!
Now if something happens to that road, you know who's coming after you

by the way, the road to Panshet is good too but it takes a big effort to get to Donje in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Though I agree all that digging could have been avoided and a ped-overbridge would have served the purpose just fine.
sajo; ped overbridges mostly end up unused/ underused. People still run across the road, example SNDT. Now they built anothe rone at Mryutyunjaya temple chowk, someone told me its going to have lifts too. Not sure if the comment was sarcastic though

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
I am for all his fancy civil stuff, just want level roads. The half done culverts are not flush with the road surface - so you have these speed limiters followed closely by the humongous speed breaker/crossing and the next culvert and so on...
So do we, so do we! more so as those with low GC on their cars
the question is didnt they think of this before building that road? Oh wait, did I say think?

Last edited by selfdrive : 21st September 2011 at 16:22.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks