Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th September 2011, 10:41   #376
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Rains yesterday meant most parts were flooded. Fortunately I was on my bike as I had to run some errands in the morning. Which only meant that I saw more parts of town than I would on a normal day. RTO side was jammed so I took off through Somwar peth/ Raviwar peth/ shaniwarwada and tried to take the riverside road. That was flooded, so I returned to PMC and tried to go to JM road which was jampacked with no movement. so took Apte road and returned to Garware bridge with a feeble attempt to go to Karve road which didnt have an inch of space. so went into Prabhat road from the lane near Cafe Goodluck.
@selfdrive - Looks like you had Pune Darshan in rains. Which Peth was left out to try?

And i agree with you. Sometimes trying to take detours lands us in bigger mess. Better to stick to the normal road.
Old 30th September 2011, 11:17   #377
Senior - BHPian

These untimely rains sure have caught us on the wrong side. So many jams throughout the city, that its no longer funny.

Last evening, while getting out of Hinjewdi, there was a monumental jam on the bypass. Why? Slippery roads due to rains. Two wheelers were driving at snails speed to avoid mishap (absolutely justifiable). But then, you cant stop under a flyover and block the entire traffic for your convenience, can you?
Old 30th September 2011, 11:57   #378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
@selfdrive - Looks like you had Pune Darshan in rains. Which Peth was left out to try?
The Wednesday one, only been there once when I was lost in the maze that 'Gaon' is. Intend to avoid that place like the plague, though I am not sure what has changed there in 15 years

I guess thats the fun of having a bike in Pune; being able to try out different routes and getting different choices to eat! Within town, a bike always brings you where you want to go, whereas with a car you have to bring it to the destination. Same difference

Last edited by selfdrive : 30th September 2011 at 11:59.
Old 30th September 2011, 12:56   #379
Distinguished - BHPian

The rains affect Hinjewadi traffic badly EVEN when there is no rain in HJW, like yesterday. It is simply inexplicable

I BBMed Swanand that it was raining like crazy and got a sceptical reply from him. Left just before 6 and it still took me an hour to get to Sus Road! The Wakad flyover was the worst offender.
Old 30th September 2011, 14:48   #380
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Are you saying that your phone is dead for 1.5 years? And you are paying bills for the same too?
As far as I know, there is some provision wherein you should not be paying bills for those days/ months on which the phone is out of service. I have come across some incidents where people have paid partial bills since the phone was out of order for a week or so.
Yes boss. Unfortunately we have been paying the rentals. Why ? Because we already have an application placed wherein they will refund all our bills which we have been paying. Some bureaucrat must be sitting on it as we discuss this. And we were assured we dont need to do anything more as a result.

This is the aforementioned structure we have been discussing. As is shown, it is some distance away from the current divider line.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-image146.jpg

Motorists need to watch out, because I have seen accidents happen on this stretch when the road was under construction and unexpected structures appeared out of nowhere.
You can also judge the quality of this road which was in the making for long.

Last edited by sajo : 30th September 2011 at 14:49.
sajo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2011, 15:00   #381
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

This is the aforementioned structure we have been discussing. As is shown, it is some distance away from the current divider line.
This looks like a provision for ventilation of the underpass.

Is the construction at Kinara junction over? So what have they built?
Old 30th September 2011, 16:00   #382
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So what have they built?
There is acute shortage of water in Pune. Especially in that area. So, this structure will serve as a rain water collection tank (haud).

Jokes apart, it doesnt even look like a ventilation system for that underpass, that is under construction for time immemorial.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:14   #383
Mik
BHPian

I was in pune for some house hunting (refer a few pages back for that story) and these were my impressions.
Contrary to the rants i see, i actually felt that the traffic was well behaved (I live in gurgaon ) though its very crowded and polluted in the center of the city. Crossed the famed hinjewadi flyover at 6 in the evening and didn't have too much of an issue at 6 in the evening -- on a honda Dio. A car will be a nightmare for sure.
I did see atleast 60% of the junta using low beams -- Super
People queing up properly at the petrol pump -- Good
The auto wallahs scooting here and there -- Bad
Some two wheelers on the wrong side of the road on the highway -- Ugly

Oh! i did finalize a deal. If all goes well, in a few years i will be adding on to the mayhem at hinjewadi everyday
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:25   #384
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik View Post
I was in pune for some house hunting (refer a few pages back for that story) and these were my impressions.
Contrary to the rants i see, i actually felt that the traffic was well behaved (I live in gurgaon ) though its very crowded and polluted in the center of the city. Crossed the famed hinjewadi flyover at 6 in the evening and didn't have too much of an issue at 6 in the evening -- on a honda Dio. A car will be a nightmare for sure.
I did see atleast 60% of the junta using low beams -- Super
People queing up properly at the petrol pump -- Good
The auto wallahs scooting here and there -- Bad
Some two wheelers on the wrong side of the road on the highway -- Ugly

Oh! i did finalize a deal. If all goes well, in a few years i will be adding on to the mayhem at hinjewadi everyday
@Mik - You could have joined the pune guys for the meet on Sunday. Congrats on the deal and i hope you got a good one.

Now i don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading your impressions. But as i have not been to Gurgaon in the last 6-7 years i think you are a better judge.

By the way did you cross the Hinjewadi flyover at 6 in the evening to go towards Wakad or to go towards Hinjewadi?

Last edited by amitwlele : 3rd October 2011 at 14:26.
Old 3rd October 2011, 14:31   #385
Mik
BHPian

Quote:
@Mik - You could have joined the pune guys for the meet on Sunday. Congrats on the deal and i hope you got a good one.

Now i don't know whether to laugh or cry after reading your impressions. But as i have not been to Gurgaon in the last 6-7 years i think you are a better judge.

By the way did you cross the Hinjewadi flyover at 6 in the evening to go towards Wakad or to go towards Hinjewadi?
He he! i crossed over from Hinjewadi to Wakad side and then onto the highway towards Bavdhan.
Yep! come to gurgaon and drive here for a few days. I bet you will be opening a Pune traffic appreciation thread soon
Was busy on Sunday getting fleeced off by builders and auto wallahs in West pune. Took the night flight and drove to my house in Gurgaon. Damn! the BP went up a notch and i cursed expletives atleast twice and gave the finger once!
Mik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2011, 11:02   #386
Senior - BHPian

Wow Mik! Thats a new perspective to Pune! I agree, there are some things which we all take for granted. Well, as they say - The grass is greener on the other side.
Old 4th October 2011, 11:17   #387
Team-BHP Support

Finally, the necklace area between Pashan and Bavdhan is seeing a genuine repair. Earlier the potholes would be filled with mud but this time they are serious about fixing the issue. Hopefully, with all plastic speedbreakers meeting their fate, the road will be back to what it used to be before.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2011, 11:24   #388
Senior - BHPian

Did anyone see the broken down truck's on the bypass?
One right in front of Mahindra First choice. Carrying so much hay that the tyres couldnt be seen. Broken down in the right most lane. No driver in sight, no hazards to indicate a breakdown, nothing.

Then, just a few meters ahead (near Lalani Quantum) a truck had fallen in the ditch on the left. Must have been a recent accident, as a few people (who have all the time in the world) had gathered around to have a dekko, not caring a bit that they were blocking the highway!
Old 5th October 2011, 11:48   #389
Senior - BHPian

I saw that super overloaded truck, in volume that is. Hay isnt heavy, so I doubt the cops can do anything. By the time I passed by, NHAI pickup truck had arrived and had placed traffic cones around it.
Is there a mandatory vehicle fitness test on CVs ? I doubt (the enforcement part) ...since we have dozens of jugaad bodied trucks still plying around.
Old 5th October 2011, 12:03   #390
Senior - BHPian

Spotted an Indica parked on the Kumar Parisar road (opposite Mahesh Vidyalaya) this morning.

The front right side seems to have taken a bad hit as the front right wheel was protruding. Likely to have some axle damages too, though I didnt stop to have a look. It seems like a high speed late night/ early morning drive gone wrong. I hope no one was injured.
People speed up on this road without realising there is a slight deviation 1/3rd of the way up (heading towards Sahajanand/ Mahatma society)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks