Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 09:11   #421
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

It was about 7:15 when I merged onto NH4 yesterday. The rains caught me just before the Pashan-Sus overbridge.
As always traffic piles up because of two-wheelers taking refuge under the bridge effectively blocking one lane and all vehicles trying to muscle their way into the free space.

Same problem at the Chandni chowk overpass. Other than that, it was a smooth albeit slow drive from Pashan to Chandni Chowk. Of course with almost zero two-wheelers on the road - the drive has to be good, isn't it?
Old 12th October 2011, 10:40   #422
Senior - BHPian

Pune's love for flex boards is quite famous. Every road every street corner you go is blemished by these boards.

Today I saw a big flex board in the middle of the road put up by a politician for....wait for this... Steve Jobs!!!
Old 12th October 2011, 11:06   #423
Senior - BHPian

Luckily I left office early last evening. There was hardly any jam all the way. After Chandani Chowk, the rains started pouring and jams started beyond that.

Last evening (around 9) had gone out for some work in Kothrud itself, and the roads were watrer logged. People were wading through ankle deep to knee deep water.

Sajo: I agree, if Pune receives Bombay grade rains, the whole city would come to a standstill.
Old 12th October 2011, 12:22   #424
Distinguished - BHPian

Am usually on the road or setting out at that time, so guess I was lucky to be home when the storm struck. It was absolutely awful! The doors were rattling and breeze screaming in through the cracks, lightning was striking REALLY close and the power went out adding to the eerieness of it all. My little one was clinging to me in terror . But it stopped almost as soon as it started, leaving a trail of debris and some fallen trees in its wake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Today I saw a big flex board in the middle of the road put up by a politician for....wait for this... Steve Jobs!!!
One of his aides must have told him, "People want you to focus on jobs"
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 12:24   #425
Senior - BHPian

Got this really neat article as an email forward:

SCIENCE HOBBYIST: Traffic Waves, physics for bored commuters

Just wondering if it's even remotely feasible to implement on our roads!

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 12:51   #426
Senior - BHPian

^^Vikram, IIRC, @anilisanil had shared this before perhaps on some other thread.
At that time I was wondering how this is different from tailgating. I dont really know, I guess I didnt understand the perspective of the author.

After all on our roads, the people either
- avoid the jams by going up the wrong side or
- honk repeatedly at the waiting vehicles as if its a magic wand that will make all the cars disappear

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
One of his aides must have told him, "People want you to focus on jobs"
I hope no one tells them to work on traffic'ing

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th October 2011 at 12:53.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:57   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Got this really neat article as an email forward:

SCIENCE HOBBYIST: Traffic Waves, physics for bored commuters

Just wondering if it's even remotely feasible to implement on our roads!

Cheers,
Vikram
I had read this earlier and had actually given it a try on the Hinjewadi stretch which is perpetually jammed. So i used to slow down to create some space between my car and the car ahead of me in the jam. This would ensure that i never have to brake and would keep moving in 1st gear. But then this hardly worked. As soon as some space was created it was immediately occupied by bikers coming in from different directions and eventually i would have to brake.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:00   #428
Senior - BHPian

Looks like yesterday's conditions might be repeated today. It has darkened quite a bit and has already started raining in some parts. And is expected to continue on Thursday, Friday and Saturday as well.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:03   #429
Senior - BHPian

The traffic wave logic would only work, where lane discipline is followed. Heck, where traffic discipline is followed. Not in a place where every other person drives as if he is on a death wish.

Amit, let alone Hinjewadi, will you? This place is a case study where all the traffic control genius's of the world would give up. You and me are too puny (not literally, lol) for such things .

@Sajo: Thanks for the headsup. Was searching for a reason to leave office early. You are a savior man!
Old 12th October 2011, 16:05   #430
Senior - BHPian

No problems dude. Infact, it is raining so hard here, I cant see beyond a few dozen meters from my window. I am sure in the car it must be much worse, because atleast my office window is stationary.
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:17   #431
BHPian

Good heads up on the rain but too late to get out now its pouring outside. Wondering how the situation will be at Hinjewadi flyover this evening.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:30   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurrycane12 View Post
Wondering how the situation will be at Hinjewadi flyover this evening.

Hinjewadi people may have started a Live From Office concept, a ground breaking initiative, which is modeled on the lines of Work From Home, but is totally opposite in every way.
Showers and changing rooms in offices are becoming the norm, and ofcourse, there are comfy office chairs should you need an occasional nap.

Heres the view from my office on a normal day :

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-untitled.png

And here's what I see today.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-image152.jpg
sajo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 16:35   #433
Senior - BHPian

In my 3+ years in Pune, I have never been to Hinjewadi and no plans to visit the same in the near future. Somehow the traffic jam reports of Hinjewadi are attracting a lot of my attention these days, albeit for the wrong reasons.
Is there something different happening there compared to other areas like the station area or old Pune area?
I get the feeling this would be similar to the Electronic City - Hosur road traffic chaos of yesteryear's in Bangalore which was resolved by building an elevated highway. What is the cause and solution in Hinjewadi's case?
Old 12th October 2011, 16:36   #434
BHPian

Sajo quite a change in view today Live from Office loved it, hope the HR guys don't hear this.

Yesterday i was anyway late in office so did not mind leaving at 10 PM but today i am wondering what time should i make my move.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:06   #435
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In my 3+ years in Pune, I have never been to Hinjewadi and no plans to visit the same in the near future.
In my 30 years in Pune, I have never been there too (famous last words I hope!)
The problem is a bit similar to the Electronic city issue; just that
- except Hosur sized city on the other end we have Mumbai. Regular highway traffic also takes the same route till Wakad.
- this area has seen haphazard development without planning. though this could be applied to any SEZ surrounding in India
- the so called planners should have built a corridor or a rail/ metro line to town from HJW

Better contributions should be expected from those who travel/ travail there everyday

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th October 2011 at 17:08.

Most Viewed