Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2011, 17:09   #436
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
In my 3+ years in Pune, I have never been to Hinjewadi and no plans to visit the same in the near future. Somehow the traffic jam reports of Hinjewadi are attracting a lot of my attention these days, albeit for the wrong reasons.
Is there something different happening there compared to other areas like the station area or old Pune area?
I get the feeling this would be similar to the Electronic City - Hosur road traffic chaos of yesteryear's in Bangalore which was resolved by building an elevated highway. What is the cause and solution in Hinjewadi's case?
There is nothing different happening in Hinjewadi as compared to other places. The same old story of no planning of road infrastructure. They are creating Phase after Phase of IT parks and the number of access roads have remained the same. Not to mention the quality of those roads.

No proper public transport. I think the need of the hour is to have a elevated rail road from Wakad Junction to all the different phases in Hinjewadi. They can create a huge parking lot at Wakad junction and ask people to take the elevated rail to office after parking the cars. Does this sound stupid?
Old 12th October 2011, 17:25   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
No proper public transport. I think the need of the hour is to have a elevated rail road from Wakad Junction to all the different phases in Hinjewadi. They can create a huge parking lot at Wakad junction and ask people to take the elevated rail to office after parking the cars. Does this sound stupid?
You don't even need a high cost elevated line. A couple of dedicated bus lanes from a public parking lot near Wakad to the different phases of HJW will suffice. Just have buses running ring service every 2 minutes - Like a park and ride service.

Most people choose personal transport for the flexibility. The option above should get some more cars off the road, at least within the congested HJW area.
mmxylorider is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 17:31   #438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmxylorider View Post
You don't even need a high cost elevated line. A couple of dedicated bus lanes from a public parking lot near Wakad to the different phases of HJW will suffice. Just have buses running ring service every 2 minutes - Like a park and ride service.

Most people choose personal transport for the flexibility. The option above should get some more cars off the road, at least within the congested HJW area.
How many entrances and exits do this public parking lot would have? Where will the buses be parked? How would they turn around?

All of the above questions have a single issue- SPACE. With real estate booming so much it would be a difficult task to acquire a big enough parking lot and a bus bay that are effective!
Old 12th October 2011, 17:43   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
How many entrances and exits do this public parking lot would have? Where will the buses be parked? How would they turn around?

All of the above questions have a single issue- SPACE. With real estate booming so much it would be a difficult task to acquire a big enough parking lot and a bus bay that are effective!
Valid Qs! But if the authorities want, it is certainly doable. There is no reason to have 1 huge parking lot. There can be small ones which could provide vehicle security and allow parking even on chargeable basis.

Drawing a parallel with airports (in US - my only exposure to the model), there are parking lots miles away from the airport. Parking is significantly cheaper than the airport parking and they have their own shuttles making pick/drops to/from the airport.
Old 12th October 2011, 17:48   #440
Oxy
BHPian

I was in Pune some six months ago and was aghast to note that public transport there is almost non existant. The few buses which ply on the roads are so rickety and uncomfortable, it's a pain travelling in one of those. Plus the fares are pretty steep, and they have no fixed timings.

I can't see folks in Pune surviving without a vehicle.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:21   #441
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Finally, the necklace area between Pashan and Bavdhan is seeing a genuine repair. Earlier the potholes would be filled with mud but this time they are serious about fixing the issue. Hopefully, with all plastic speedbreakers meeting their fate, the road will be back to what it used to be before.
I was so wrong here. What they ended up doing:

- Dug out the section that had potholes.
- Put in large size stones. Add mud to fill up the gaps.
- Run the road roller a few times and done.

The result: All the stones are spread across before and after the small section of the road. You have to dodge them when you see one to avoid your tyre going over it. A speeding truck over these stones can launch them towards your windshield or a poor biker. Be careful out there.
Old 13th October 2011, 10:37   #442
Senior - BHPian

^^Thanks Kiran for the heads up!

This morning an Indicab (MH14 BA xxxx) overtook me on Bund garden road near the Cusrow Wadia signal. On the entire stretch from Cusrow Wadia till Sun n Sand, banana peels kept falling from the vehicle (6-7 at least). The windows were rolled up, so not sure if there was a hole in the boot floor. These were definitely not lying on the road before it passed as I could see the road stretch from the left side of the Indicab.

What kind of monkeys was this cab carrying? I am intrigued
Old 13th October 2011, 11:01   #443
Senior - BHPian

Same old stories on a different day! Something like SSDD (Same sh*t different day). Most of the roads have turned to rivers with the kind of rains we are getting.

Not only the roads, but even electricity is being a concern here. Folks in my office tell, that there is no electricity for the past 2 days in households in Wakad and thereabouts. How can the authorities let this go by?

The entire system is a joke. Nothing else.
Old 13th October 2011, 11:10   #444
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Not only the roads, but even electricity is being a concern here. Folks in my office tell, that there is no electricity for the past 2 days in households in Wakad and thereabouts. How can the authorities let this go by?
Atleast before the electricity to the households is cut, they first cut the electricity to the city (government consumers). Hence there are no streetlights these days in a large amount of areas.
The know-it-all weather widget on my desktop predicts rain and thunderstorms everyday upto Sunday. Atleast upto Sunday.
Old 13th October 2011, 17:39   #445
Senior - BHPian

Some heartening news, kudos to the guys for running and the girl for shouting in time

Techie, colleague chase down chain-snatcher - Indian Express
Old 13th October 2011, 22:12   #446
BHPian

Sharing one small info - someone new to this road, please be careful (refer pic)
nagar road going towards Kalyani nagar, ~50ft before the right turn towards Crystal Honda/3M showroom/Kothari Maruti

Today during the evening rains, it was very very difficult to notice with water filling the pot holes, and this one is huge. In front of me a SX4 got almost stuck with a huge thud sound, the guy restarted the engine then moved ahead, I was lucky to follow this car, was able to avoid. It wasn't present even 2 days ago, probably the rain effect, crossing this pot hole @30km/hr might cause damage to the car

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-tbhp1111.jpg

Last edited by AvonA7 : 13th October 2011 at 22:17. Reason: addition ...
AvonA7 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 10:44   #447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Some heartening news, kudos to the guys for running and the girl for shouting in time

Techie, colleague chase down chain-snatcher - Indian Express

All is well, but why did they leave out the door no of the people who nabbed the culprit.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:11   #448
Senior - BHPian

This morning:
- Did anyone see the Dzire (MH14 CC xxxx) that has climbed over the divider near Kothrud bus depot? It is positioned in the direction of Rambag colony/ Deccan, so I assume it went up there while trying to avoid some other vehicle (changing lanes) at high speed

- spotted a company bus near Paud phata flyover with the 'changbhale group' sticker. I thought this was only used by cabs. Certainly seems like an intimidatory tactic!

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th October 2011 at 11:14.
Old 14th October 2011, 11:16   #449
Senior - BHPian

Yes Bala, I noticed it as the acident happened in front of my eyes.
I had gone to drop the wifey to her bus stop and saw this happening.
The DZire guy was overtaking some vehicle at high speeds and then he climbed the divider. Looks like a lot of damage.

Others driving on that stretch - be careful. Due to the accident, there's a lot of oil spill, that may cause accidents.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2011, 11:20   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
This morning:
- Did anyone see the Dzire (MH14 CC xxxx) that has climbed over the divider near Kothrud bus depot? It is positioned in the direction of Rambag colony/ Deccan, so I assume it went up there while trying to avoid some other vehicle (changing lanes) at high speed
Ohh yeah, saw that one. All fluids had leaked off from the looks of it, and judging by the distance it had traveled over the divider, looks like the speed was decently high too.
No sign of the driver though. And there was a mini traffic jam because people were stopping to stare.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks