Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 11:25   #466
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

^^ I may be in the minority, but the current carriage width is enough right ? I mean, if you leave aside moronic drivers/rider , you almost never see undue congestion there because of too many vehicles.
Old 19th October 2011, 11:27   #467
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Apparantly, the bad patch has been left like that for a purpose. The locals in that area have to say that due to that bad patch, the vehicles actually have no option but to slow down! Wah, what innovation!
Quote:
The new Sangamwadi bridge is a boon for those travelling to that side from Deccan. Problem being, just a patch in between is really bad. Why not do the whole road? Its such an amazing road to drive otherwise.
Good news, the bad patch is being fixed. I drove back from work yesterday to see them actually using a road roller and tar to fix the bad patch. I hope they would complete the work by end of day today to save me 3 minutes of my time to get home.

Additionally, the authorities seem to have woken up from slumber and are building a concrete boundary wall on both sides of the stretch from end of Sangamwadi bridge to the stretch that they recently built. Makes me believe that the bottleneck will be sorted and speeds will double. Hope I get a super smooth expressway drive to work.

<rant>When will they realize that Sancheti bridge is over burdened. Just shifting the divider isn't helping the cause. We need to have at least a six lane dual bridge across Shivajinagar.</rant>

Quote:
A few weeks ago, I did happen to read an article in the papers, saying a 6 lane road on that bypass has been sanctioned.
You could be right. Quite a few sections on the NH-4 seem to be getting an additional lane. I have noticed this around Khed Shivapur as well. Perhaps they are giving a dedicated lane for wrong lane drivers. Hopefully they'll put a board "Wrong lane drivers, don't forget to turn on your headlights." (as if that helps)

Last edited by moralfibre : 19th October 2011 at 11:30.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 11:54   #468
Senior - BHPian

^^ When is the road work/digging work near Sancheti getting complete ?
Old 19th October 2011, 11:59   #469
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Good news, Hope I get a super smooth expressway drive to work.
That indeed is good news. If the road is done up and a concrete boundry wall is made, the road would be super smooth to drive on. Saves a lot of time eventually.

Quote:
<rant>When will they realize that Sancheti bridge is over burdened. Just shifting the divider isn't helping the cause. We need to have at least a six lane dual bridge across Shivajinagar.</rant> )
That bridge has been the same since the time I learnt driving. That's like two decades ago. How can they expect the traffic to be the same now. They need to widen the bridge ASAP. Even that underpass or whatever it is, that they have been building is taking eons!

Quote:
Hopefully they'll put a board "Wrong lane drivers, don't forget to turn on your headlights." (as if that helps)
. Hope they do that! No, on a serious note, the entire NH4 seems to be getting broadened. Even the E-Way is supposed to be made into an 8 lane from the existing 6 lanes. The old Bom-Pune highway also gets 6 lanes in place of the existing 4.
Old 19th October 2011, 12:40   #470
BHPian

Actually, Entire stretch between Dehuroad and Katraj was supposed to be 6 lanes + continuous service roads on both sides with only 6 exits/ crossings. Somehow, that was never done and thanks to great vision of the decision makers and the piecemeal approach, we have wrongly designed Wakad, Chandani Chowk junctions and bottle necks at Sus Road overpass as well as chandani chowk overpass.

We actually need a cloverleaf at Wakad, Chandani chowk & Sinhgad road junctions. This was very much possible (atleast to plan for it) when the roads were being made. Our 'wise' decision makers unfortunately were not able to visualise the situation in proper perspective. Now with the unauthorised development that has already taken place and resultant increase in land values, it is impossible to resolve the junctions in proper manner.
CANPUSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 14:27   #471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
<rant>When will they realize that Sancheti bridge is over burdened. Just shifting the divider isn't helping the cause. We need to have at least a six lane dual bridge across Shivajinagar.</rant>
Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
^^ When is the road work/digging work near Sancheti getting complete ?
Quote:
That bridge has been the same since the time I learnt driving. That's like two decades ago. How can they expect the traffic to be the same now. They need to widen the bridge ASAP. Even that underpass or whatever it is, that they have been building is taking eons!
Raw nerve, check
your feet, double check
raise feet and dance on the nerve, check

here is something for those who undergo that torturous rail overbridge every day. Twice over.
Now compounded by a one way traffic conversion on the next two parallel bridges (Kamgar Putala and Kumbharwada)

nevertheless:
1. orange ovals - proceed with the flow even when the signal turns amber. Thus blocking traffic turning right towards Pune station
2. blue ovals - generally blocking traffic by being in the wrong lane and then trying to switch over. Also common occurrence just before the Paud phata flyover in Kothrud.
3. yellow ovals - again wrong lane and trying to change/ merge
4. grey ovals - merging issues
5. My favourite red oval - at least 4 to 5 vehicles at the extreme left which block the straight traffic towards Shivajinagar station/ Wakdewadi. When their signal turns green these jostle with the vehicles turning right onto the rail bridge. Eventually there are at anywhere between 6 to 9 vehicles turning right towards RTO/ Pune station
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-coep1.jpg  

Last edited by selfdrive : 19th October 2011 at 14:32.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th October 2011, 18:26   #472
Senior - BHPian

El-stupido question.
What is it that is WIP in selfdrive's picture ? Is it a pedestrian underpass? Will it be from Kala Niketan's building till Sancheti on one side and same on the opposite side too ?
Old 19th October 2011, 18:42   #473
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
El-stupido question.
What is it that is WIP in selfdrive's picture ? Is it a pedestrian underpass? Will it be from Kala Niketan's building till Sancheti on one side and same on the opposite side too ?
It isn't a pedestrian underpass but an underground road from Sancheti hospital towards the high court. I am told that COEP students recommended that an underground road is faster to build and cheaper than a flyover.
Old 19th October 2011, 18:46   #474
Senior - BHPian

^^ Yet another noob question then. Whats wrong with the overground route ? Or will its use be restricted to traffic going towards COEP/JM Road ?
Old 20th October 2011, 10:41   #475
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
^^ Yet another noob question then. Whats wrong with the overground route ? Or will its use be restricted to traffic going towards COEP/JM Road ?
Ojas, the underground route will be used by people coming from Shivajinagar/Shimla Office side and heading towards high court/Sangam Bridge and vice versa. (Not too sure about the vice versa though).
The overground would still be used by people heading towards COEP/JM road etc.

That ways, at least some amount of congestion on that road would be taken care of.
Old 20th October 2011, 15:13   #476
BHPian

Talking about the sancheti underpass (& the likes) taking forever, have you wondered how quickly the PCMC areas got their share of flyovers & grid separators?

Its a breeze to drive down to Nidgi, Akurdi, Pimpri, Chinchwad, etc.
But on the return journey - the moment one reaches Dapodi (MES college), Pune roads hit you!

Then the journey onwards, Khadki - Range hills - Wakdewadi - COEP is a nightmare..
Monaro CV8 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd October 2011, 08:49   #477
Senior - BHPian

Seriously?
Another murder over Navratra group rivalry - Indian Express

And to think the only thing I am worried about here is that 100 cars were damaged. I have added myself to the insensitive group
Old 24th October 2011, 10:35   #478
Senior - BHPian

The new Sangamwadi bridge work is now complete. What a wonderful road that has become. Hope the auhtorities do not mess up with that road at least.

Spare a few buffalows and cows, there are absolutely no obstacles on that stretch.

Bala, I'm with you in the insensitive group. But come to think of it, isnt this a silly reason for starting an argument? People have a lot of time on hand, it seems.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 11:49   #479
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Spare a few buffalows and cows, there are absolutely no obstacles on that stretch.

Bala, I'm with you in the insensitive group. But come to think of it, isnt this a silly reason for starting an argument? People have a lot of time on hand, it seems.
You forgot the private buses parked all over that stretch. But that depends on what time you travel there.

Oh and these people can find even sillier reasons to pick up a fight. To be honest we cannot do much to improve someone who wants to stay in that state. I think it comes down to a street dog wanting to be the boss of his locality but not thinking of any development at country/ state/ regional or even personal levels.
But I have no sympathy for anyone who vandalises public property or endangers lives of uninvolved people.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2011, 13:52   #480
BHPian

The bad patch on the necklace stretch towards pashan is seeing some freshly laid tar finally! I will comment about the quality once i pass through while going home.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks