Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2011, 10:53   #496
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

I had been on the NH4 this last weekend. All the way till Satara (thats as far as I had gone), one can see road widening work being carried out.
Todays paper also carries an article stating that the entire NH4 stretch in Maharashtra is going to be a 6 lane one, from the existing 4 lanes.
Old 8th November 2011, 13:16   #497
BHPian

@Swanand, The work is on for more than 7-8 months now for Pune-Satara stretch. Reliance infrastructure is doing it. Infact, for this reason toll between Pune and Satara was increased from Rs. 45+25 to Rs. 65+45 and there was agitation.
Old 9th November 2011, 14:11   #498
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
@Swanand, The work is on for more than 7-8 months now for Pune-Satara stretch. Reliance infrastructure is doing it. Infact, for this reason toll between Pune and Satara was increased from Rs. 45+25 to Rs. 65+45 and there was agitation.

Was it? I didnt realise the increase in amount. Had been on the same roads in August and we hadnt paid toll on the 1st naka (then). So wasnt sure of the price increase.

However, glad to know that some widening work is being carried out. That NH4 is seriously falling short of roads, due to increase in vehicular traffic.
Old 11th November 2011, 21:40   #499
dot
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday morning, a Tavera taxi broke down at Mundhwa junction due to puncture, I suppose. The driver had promptly decided to change the tyre then and there. It caused such a traffic snarl that some people took one hour to cross the junction.
Old 14th November 2011, 11:17   #500
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone noticed? The strecth from Kalyaninagar bridge to North Main (till Lane 5) has become miserable to drive on.

The manhole covers are haphazard. There are new potholes, the size that could take up the whole wheel and there are morons who park and wait in the car, while their family members enjoy the Naturals Ice cream! Its a pain to drive on that stretch.
Old 14th November 2011, 11:29   #501
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Has anyone noticed? The strecth from Kalyaninagar bridge to North Main (till Lane 5) has become miserable to drive on.

The manhole covers are haphazard. There are new potholes, the size that could take up the whole wheel and there are morons who park and wait in the car, while their family members enjoy the Naturals Ice cream! Its a pain to drive on that stretch.
Faced that problem yesterday!! Does KP come under Cantonment jurisdiction?
Old 15th November 2011, 13:47   #502
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer_X View Post
Does KP come under Cantonment jurisdiction?
IIRC, it does. At least till HRC. Beyond that, I believe its Hadapsar/Mundhwa. I may be wrong though.
Old 16th November 2011, 04:19   #503
BHPian

I spoke to a friend of mine with the traffic branch about the Sancheti bridge. Apparently the issue is because of Sancheti hospital as well as COEP.

If a wider bridge is built it will encroach on the approach road of Sancheti hospital or pass through the COEP compound. However COEP being a heritage institution it cannot be done. They are working on an alternative solution which he did not say what it was, but he said that sometime next year you will see it in papers.
Old 16th November 2011, 08:11   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The new bridge at Bundgarden has already been completed. I guess they will wait for an appointment by some minister to come and inaugrate it by 2014. Does anyone know how that bridge will help decongest Yerwada junction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
I still do not understand as to how would the new bridge help de-congest traffic. What's to happen to Bund Garden in that case?
Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
IMHO, it is a bit silly as the traffic congestion was never on this side of the bridge. The problem exists due to the narrow road on the Yerwada side signal of this same bridge
I did some research as I pass by this area almost everyday. The Yerwada end of the bridge ended right a temple that took time to be demolished. It was done a couple of weeks ago and I witnessed the demolition while passing by. It was peaceful! The bridge is all set to be inaugrated and what better time than before the 2012 civic elections to impress voters.

Additionally, to our doubt on the implementation, here's a related press article:

Link.

I believe this system would be very effective if implemented since that is the only way to decongest the junction. Manoj Patil as an ACP (traffic) Pune did some great things while he was here but unfortunately as it happens in sarkari divisions, the good people get transferred and so did he.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 23:29   #505
BHPian

Guys,
This might sound like a daft question, but could ya'll throw some light on the new route to the airport, which takes the newly constructed bridge (sangamwadi?)..
I'm not sure how and where will it lead to the airport road while bypassing the sancheti chowk-coep-sangam bridge-bund garden road.

Thanks in advance!
Old 19th November 2011, 00:24   #506
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
I'm not sure how and where will it lead to the airport road while bypassing the sancheti chowk-coep-sangam bridge-bund garden road.!
sancheti chowk-left turn at coep signal-first right turn to go on sangamwadi bridge-right turn when the road ends after about 2-2.5 kms-go straight for another 2 kms or so, crossing 3 traffic signals on your way [yerawada bridge, gunjan talkies, kalyaninagar]-keep to the left lane after you see pulse mall and hotel ista to your right-take the left turn after you see these 2 landmarks-this road will lead straight to the airport

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 19th November 2011 at 00:35.
comfortablynumb is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 19:44   #507
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I believe this system would be very effective if implemented since that is the only way to decongest the junction.
Yes, a circular system at this triple bridge - multi junction area will be very useful. In that case, I wonder if traffic coming from KP will go straight to Yerwada or take a left and then right through the new bridge.

Swanand, not only the road around Kalyani Nagar to KP has broken up, I found most roads around the city have broken down.
Old 21st November 2011, 10:17   #508
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Yes, a circular system at this triple bridge - multi junction area will be very useful. In that case, I wonder if traffic coming from KP will go straight to Yerwada or take a left and then right through the new bridge.
They'll take a left and go via the new bridge. Kind of a detour. Similarly, traffic coming from Nagar will make a left at Yerwada, Right at Bund Garden and then again right onto the new bridge to head towards Bombay Sappers / Holkar bridge. This is what I think the setup would be like.
Old 21st November 2011, 10:47   #509
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaro CV8 View Post
Guys,
This might sound like a daft question, but could ya'll throw some light on the new route to the airport, which takes the newly constructed bridge (sangamwadi?)..
I'm not sure how and where will it lead to the airport road while bypassing the sancheti chowk-coep-sangam bridge-bund garden road.

Thanks in advance!

Not sure if this is still needed, but while coming from FC road, take the Agri college route > underpass at old Bom-Pune hwy and right onto old Shoppers Stop. Take a left at the new bridge and right at Deccan College route. Then onto Nagar Rd and new airtport road. This new route saves close to 25 mins (as experianced this Saturday).

Yes Dotty, most of the roads in the city have broken down. Thankfully, some of them are in the process of being repaired.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2011, 22:13   #510
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
They'll take a left and go via the new bridge. Kind of a detour. Similarly, traffic coming from Nagar will make a left at Yerwada, Right at Bund Garden and then again right onto the new bridge to head towards Bombay Sappers / Holkar bridge. This is what I think the setup would be like.
That will be really circular.

Knowing Pune traffic, I can anticipate that during off hours people will break the rule and dart across the easy path, specially two and three wheelers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks