Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:37   #556
Team-BHP Support

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Any chance of putting down the cop name (I believe you saw the badge), or bike registration number or anything else that might identify him? Asking because I generally put across such cases to all my friends, to take care it doesn't happen to them. You never know when the same guy might get to do a similar act (it seems it was pre-determined and might get repeated).
Why not? It was Raju Pawar. His bike a Splendour - MH-12-DY-5(2)069. It has a small sticker with "POLICE" written on it. It had a side box with a lathi shoved between the box and the seat. Don't remember very well now. Been trying to put this incident behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASHISHPALLOD View Post
@moralfibre,
after reading the incident, i know, you may have reacted otherwise if you was not in hurry.
I kind of had my blood boiling when he held me by my collar but then I didn't want to be charged with what he actually claimed I was trying to do. And if I had hit back, which I could very well have, I would have had a tougher chance of getting out of the situation. Its not that I couldn't apply political influences from Baramati (), but it was just that the issue was very petty to involve anybody else.
Old 2nd December 2011, 14:50   #557
Distinguished - BHPian

Much as I would like not to argue on the local aspect mentioned by @F150, I have to strongly disagree - non-marathi speaking people have to take extra consideration/precautions when dealing with any issue that might lead to an argument/fight on the road with other people/policemen/localites. It helps on a huge factor if you are know marathi, and it is not a good situation if you can't speak the local language while the opposite party does. Can't stress this by any means.

Got involved in two such arguments, once with a biker and once with an attendent at the Baner petrol pump. In both cases, I wasn't at fault, and in both cases I tried to reason the same. In the latter, I got beaten up, thankfully mildly with no thanks to the petrol pump people, but to a friend who stopped them just before it became too ugly.

But this is not w.r.t to Pune or Marathis, the problem is seen in other cities too. My colleague was beaten up (hospitalized) last year by Jats in Noida. He was passing by. Didn't matter who was at fault, four of them just ganged up and beat him up badly and left him like that.

Having said that, I hope my post doesn't ruffle up any feathers. Even the bangalore mugging thread has quite a few discussions on this aspect, with no result; bangloreans glorifying their city trying to give reasons, while non-kannada folks trying to put their points. In Chennai, non-tamil people are blatantly fooled by the autos. So it seems to be a universal thing. And yes, w.r.t to the law enforcement section, all they care in such cases is about getting the moolah, doesn't matter if it's from a localite or an outsider.

P.s. Do not ask me what happened/what was the story. Maybe someday i'll put it up
P.s.s. Have been living in Pune since 2004. The above problems have started coming up recently only. Never faced it 2 years back.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 2nd December 2011 at 14:52.
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:37   #558
Senior - BHPian

Okay guys, just heard that the entire Wakad / Hinjewadi part of the NH4 (atleast) has been blocked to allow the President's motorcade to pass through. People going towards Pune have killed their engines and are just sitting there. This is atleast since 6.30pm. And I am still in office , with some work at home to be taken care of by 8.30pm.
Old 2nd December 2011, 19:55   #559
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Okay guys, just heard that the entire Wakad / Hinjewadi part of the NH4 (atleast) has been blocked to allow the President's motorcade to pass through. People going towards Pune have killed their engines and are just sitting there. This is atleast since 6.30pm. And I am still in office , with some work at home to be taken care of by 8.30pm.
Yes the President's visit has created a real mess on Pune city roads today. When I started from Chinchwad today @ 11:45 & took a right turn at Akurdi signal, I could not enter the central carriageway as it was blocked. I guess the whole road (middle 4 lanes) from Nigdi to Pimpri were closed for traffic, don't know the reason though. Also there was a jam near the circuit house, road from Blue Diamond hotel to Empress Garden.
Old 2nd December 2011, 20:23   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
You still seem online < wats the status now ? Why cant these people pass through without disturbing the local equilibrium ?
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:12   #561
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Why not? It was Raju Pawar. His bike a Splendour - MH-12-DY-5(2)069. It has a small sticker with "POLICE" written on it. It had a side box with a lathi shoved between the box and the seat. Don't remember very well now. Been trying to put this incident behind me.

I think you should not put the incident behind you. Putting the incident behind will make this happen again and again to other hapless people. Looks like soft targets are on the increase these days. Maybe we can (1) write to newspapers, (2) vaguely remember that there is a Pune police facebook page, can we write it there, (3) go to commissioner's office and report it. If you want I can accompany you on this.

Last edited by dot : 2nd December 2011 at 23:17.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd December 2011, 23:34   #562
Senior - BHPian

When is the president going back? I would want to avoid travel till she is out of the city.
Old 3rd December 2011, 07:58   #563
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
This is daylight robbery. I think the easiest and the least that you can do is to post these details on Pune Traffic Police facebook page. Now this would be the least effective based on my experience of the action being taken. But then it would atleast be read by other members of the page.
amitwlele is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 22:54   #564
Senior - BHPian

The traffic yesterday on NH4 was a mess. Thanks to being closed for an hour, the resultant pileup was MASSIVE even after it was reopened. When my office bus joined it , all I could see was a long line of brake lights as far as the eye could see.

Have a look this article.

Interesting points to note :
Quote:
• Seeing the low quality and little work done till now, and comparing with the expenditure incurred, heavy possibility of irregularities and misappropriation cannot be ruled out

• A detailed inquiry at the govt level should be carried out, action taken against those found responsible for the mess. Committee should be apprised of action taken
There was talk somewhere on this thread of 5000 crores earmarked for BRTS work in the city in total. Tht would be politicos and their chamchas would get richer by 4995 crores.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th December 2011, 12:03   #565
Senior - BHPian

So, apart from H.H. The President's convoy this weekend, there was another event in place. Some Mr. Joshi (politician offcourse) had a birthday celebration! Yes! A Birhtday celebration in Agriculture college. All bigwigs of the city, alongwith all politicians paid visit to wish the birthday boy.

No need to say that traffic was a mess, due to (so called) VVIP movement on the city roads. This, on a Saturday evening on a road like FC Road and University Road.

Shame. Thats all I have to say.
Old 5th December 2011, 14:48   #566
Distinguished - BHPian

so that was what it was? Both sides of the road were done up with all kinds of lighting and stuff- thought it was a shaadi!
Old 5th December 2011, 16:48   #567
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Some Mr. Joshi (politician offcourse) had a birthday celebration! Yes! A Birhtday celebration in Agriculture college. All bigwigs of the city, alongwith all politicians paid visit to wish the birthday boy.

No need to say that traffic was a mess, due to (so called) VVIP movement on the city roads. This, on a Saturday evening on a road like FC Road and University Road.

Shame. Thats all I have to say.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
so that was what it was? Both sides of the road were done up with all kinds of lighting and stuff- thought it was a shaadi!

Found out that it was Mr. Mohan Joshi's B'day & his daughter's wedding (both at the same time!).

So that explains the inflow of VIPs into the city, starting from the CM till the local politicos. Saturday night was literally chaos on the city roads.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:42   #568
Senior - BHPian

Had my first interaction with a 'Changbhale' guy yesterday evening at JM road.

I was trying to park near Sambhaji Park after indicating that I am turning into the space being vacated by a SX4. All good and fine till I see a speeding Omni in my left ORVM. I hastily swerve to the right and manage to save the Jazz a horrible dent. This guy rushes in and parks there.
So I back up, apply the handbrake and ask my wife to lock the car from the inside. Two guys step out of the Omni and this is what happened:
Me: What was that? If you wanted the space so bad, you should have flashed and spoken to me from the driver side window.
Changbhale poster boy 1 (CB1): I have been waiting there for a parking space for 20 minutes. How can you park here?
Me: How do I know who is waiting where? I was in line when this guy backed out and I clearly indicated I was turning left.
CB2: How will we know? We thought you are entering the park
Me: So that was the reason that you sped up along the left and risked an accident?
Do you know this is not a drive in park?
CB1: Aye, neet bol
Me: Aata paryanta neet ach boltoy. tumhi suruvaat keli aahe tey lakshyaat theva (not sure what got into me, but I felt like bashing up both of them at that instant. What happens later dekha jaayega)
CB2 looks at CB1. I am not backing down.
Bystander 1 to CB poster boys: this is not a parking space. your wheels will be locked
CB1 to me: Ok, you can park here.
Me: Do you realise that is not the point? I dont want your parking space. Just dont hit or my car. Have fun getting your wheels locked.

I get in to the car and leave to find another parking spot down the road. Last seen one of them was guarding the Omni to avoid wheel locks while the other was upto no good on the pavement outside the park.

One more incident where I begin to think it is wiser not to interact with some strata of the society. I dont care if sound snooty or snobbish, but why should I risk my life and property to deal with such fools?

Why is this group not banned yet if they are using their stickers as intimidatory tactics? Is there anywhere one can register a complaint and get something done about it?

Last edited by selfdrive : 5th December 2011 at 17:47.
Old 5th December 2011, 17:50   #569
Distinguished - BHPian

That was pretty risky, Balaji. You need to just smile and back off in such situations, especially when you are with family.

Read about some people getting killed and badly injured over parking disputes in some other cities in the news and was wondering: is this what it has come down to now?

Appealing to T-BHPians to remember the old adage: discretion is the better part of valour. Let's pick our battles wisely. Stay safe!
Old 5th December 2011, 21:57   #570
dot
Senior - BHPian

I dont know whether I have shared this story before on TBHP. This was a year back.

We were going slowly on the street which connects East Street and Dr. Coyaje Rd, looking for a place to park. As many of you know, cars park perpendicular to the footpath on both sides of the street. We saw a car (dont remember the make now) backing off. So stopped near the spot with enough space for the car to back out and go away and also enable us to take a right and enter into the parking spot. The indicator were on to show our intent. As soon as the car backed out a small hatchback came out of nowhere and parked in that spot. Initially I was honking which was of no use. Then I stepped out, tapped his window pane and asked the fellow to come out and then gave him a dose of verbal lashing. He pretended that he didnt see my car. I told him that I didnt care, and that he needs to take his car out and park elsewhere. In the commotion the parking attendant came. I explained to the parking attendant about the problem. He also told that guy to move off. On seeing that he had no other go he moved off.

Then we parked.

Last edited by dot : 5th December 2011 at 22:00.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed