Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2011, 20:07   #601
BHPian

The new Yerawada bridge is operational now. The rotary traffic is on, so this means if you are coming from Nagar road, and want to proceed to say Wakadewadi via the sangam wadi road, you will cross the river thrice!

As expected, there is going to be a lot of criss-crossing on this new bridge as vehicles coming from Nagar road enter the bridge from the right side and turn left at the end of it, vice versa for vehicles coming from Sun-n-Sand and going towards Nagar road.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 13:26   #602
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

I got a pleasant surprise today. I was on my bike on JM Road, when I slowed down to a near crawl for one of those (very stupidly designed) 3 narrow humps they have peppered it with. And whump...Was rear ended by a female on another two wheeler.
And..and..She actually opened her helmet glass and said "Sorry". I was searching my brain to activate my "angry glare" code, but this unexpected apology from a fellow motorist made me ride on with a wave. There is no flapping of loose plastic or rattling from the impact on my Pulsar. I think its the first time in my history as a motorist I was apologised to by someone.

EDIT : The vehicle in question was a HH Pleasure. I have a similar vehicle at home, and I have my reservations about its braking abilities.

Last edited by sajo : 10th December 2011 at 13:28.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 15:53   #603
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo
I got a pleasant surprise today. I was on my bike on JM Road, when I slowed down to a near crawl for one of those (very stupidly designed) 3 narrow humps they have peppered it with. And whump...Was rear ended by a female on another two wheeler.
And..and..She actually opened her helmet glass and said "Sorry". I was searching my brain to activate my "angry glare" code, but this unexpected apology from a fellow motorist made me ride on with a wave. There is no flapping of loose plastic or rattling from the impact on my Pulsar. I think its the first time in my history as a motorist I was apologised to by someone.
Hee hee..mate looks like you got smitten by the fairer sex.
That was a pleasing experience - offender apologizing.

But seriously wouldn't driving in Pune be such a pleasure if most of the traffic citizens are wary of each other and recognise each other's follys, or give way, or follow the red light (even at 8am), don't honk unnecessarily, follow lane discipline,etc. etc.

Heck, am I talking about Utopia?
Monaro CV8 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 11:05   #604
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
The new Yerawada bridge is operational now. The rotary traffic is on,

As expected, there is going to be a lot of criss-crossing on this new bridge.
However the entire circlar system is signal free. This means fast traffic throughput. At least thats what I experienced yesterday. Need to check how this system is working on a weekday.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2011, 11:48   #605
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot

However the entire circlar system is signal free. This means fast traffic throughput. At least thats what I experienced yesterday. Need to check how this system is working on a weekday.
On Friday, the signal on the bund garden side of the bridge was working, I don't know why. If there is no signal, it would be good!
Old 11th December 2011, 16:39   #606
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
On Friday, the signal on the bund garden side of the bridge was working, I don't know why. If there is no signal, it would be good!
The green signals on the Yerwada side are always on. Thats what it seems to be, after two days of observation. Funnily the countdown timer is also on. Maybe "beta" testing is going on.
Old 11th December 2011, 22:35   #607
BHPian

I am not sure if this has been discussed in details in this thread .... the problem arises especially when driving after sunset (east end of Pune) on the Mundhwa- Kalyani Nagar/KP - Nagar Road - Kharadi Bypass.

Somebody familiar with this stretch won't be surprised to suddenly notice - buffaloes (jet black), elephant (black), camel sometimes(color doesn't matter considering the size/movement/speed) tractors/trucks/all those construction related vehicles (w/o any taillights).

However recently started noticing Horses too !
-ve --> speedy, with sharp movements
+ve --> they are white in color (at least till date what I have noticed, 2-3), so can be easily spotted

On a serious note - friends, who are not familiar/regular in this stretch, please be alert, always
AvonA7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 11:30   #608
Senior - BHPian

Did get to experiance the new bridge, this weekend. Novel idea, but I seriously have my doubts in the way it would manage traffic on weekdays.
Old 12th December 2011, 11:45   #609
BHPian

So far.. so good!! No signal, no jam while coming from Sangamwadi bridge and crossing the signal at the entrance of Nagar road in 4th gear! I am loving it

But, I have doubt about safety while driving on the new bridge because of the expected criss-crossing!!
Old 12th December 2011, 13:10   #610
Senior - BHPian

A colleague (not someone I know) passed away in an accident in Alka theatre chowk on Saturday morning (4am).
This guy was returning home in a cab after his night shift and was seated in the front passenger seat. A ST bus (north karnataka AFAIK) rammed into the indicab from the passenger side and this guy passed away.
My BIL saw the cab sometime over the weekend and said it was totally smashed. The driver of the cab is alove, but not sure of his state.
RIP to the deceased and I wish his family the strength to cope with this loss.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:37   #611
Senior - BHPian

^^That is bad news indeed. May the deceased RIP.
That chowk is prone for such accidents, specially in the wee hours of the morning. Empty roads and high speed vehicles results in this.

Ive always wondered this - Why are the traffic lights switched off, post 10PM? I feel, the traffic lights should be functional 24 hours a day. That, would reduce such accidents by some margin at least.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:43   #612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
A colleague (not someone I know) passed away in an accident in Alka theatre chowk on Saturday morning (4am).
This guy was returning home in a cab after his night shift and was seated in the front passenger seat. A ST bus (north karnataka AFAIK) rammed into the indicab from the passenger side and this guy passed away.
Thats sadistic man , May his soul RIP .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
That chowk is prone for such accidents, specially in the wee hours of the morning. Empty roads and high speed vehicles results in this.

Ive always wondered this - Why are the traffic lights switched off, post 10PM? I feel, the traffic lights should be functional 24 hours a day. That, would reduce such accidents by some margin at least.
Well thats again subjective , even the working traffic lights would do the trick only if people follow it . Given the current state of things , its pity man . No one wants to brake/stop even knowing that they are unsafe on those high speeds/ sharp curves / intersections . God Help !!

And the cabbies definately need to be taught the concept of ' Right of Way ' . They just dont understand somebody approaching the main road has to be extra precautious and take necesary actions , instead they presume the other person to brake for them . Sorry state of things :-(

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 12th December 2011 at 14:46.
Old 12th December 2011, 14:54   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

That's terrible. I am always very cautious with these late night/early morning cab services and repeatedly tell the driver, it's OK if we reach 10 minutes late but please don't speed.

Of course someone needs to tell the interstate bus drivers that as well.
Old 12th December 2011, 15:07   #614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Swanand, I started following the jungle law after almost getting rear ended by a speeding Merc at RTO chowk a few years ago. At around 1015 pm at that. To be honest, I have begun to believe night drivers lack basic common sense. Perhaps I sound cynical, but this was one of the reasons I gave up travelling on the e-way at night. I hope my new organisation does not force me to take flights from Mumbai! Or if they do, I will have to travel during the day. I am that skeptical now :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Thats sadistic man , May his soul RIP .
Whats sadistic in the post JD bhai?

Nevertheless, the worst part was that the rest of the cab was empty so this guy chose to take the front seat. Something that many of us do to ensure that the cabbie doesnt doze off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Of course someone needs to tell the interstate bus drivers that as well.
noop, from what I have been told the interstate bus was going very fast. And it was one of those old style NWKRTC buses that could not stop in time. i.e. no Volvo/ air brakes.
Oh by the way, I just re read my post and I intended to say that the driver is alive not alove.

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th December 2011 at 15:08.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:08   #615
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
Well thats again subjective , even the working traffic lights would do the trick only if people follow it . Given the current state of things , its pity man . No one wants to brake/stop even knowing that they are unsafe on those high speeds/ sharp curves / intersections . God Help !!
JD, I agree on the part that its subjective. But come to think of it, I know for a fact that many of us would stop if the light was red. I make it a point to stop, regardless of the time of the day/night. I've seen for a fact that seeing one car stop, some do stop behind that guy too.

So, yeah. My point is, traffic lights need to be on 24/7.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Swanand, I started following the jungle law after almost getting rear ended by a speeding Merc at RTO chowk a few years ago. At around 1015 pm at that. To be honest, I have begun to believe night drivers lack basic common sense. Perhaps I sound cynical, but this was one of the reasons I gave up travelling on the e-way at night. I hope my new organisation does not force me to take flights from Mumbai! Or if they do, I will have to travel during the day. I am that skeptical now :(
Bala, understand the skecpticsm here. But again, if the traffic lights were on, maybe, this guy would have survived.

Oh and I know for a fact that in your new organization, you are supposed to take flights out of Bombay . So, be prepared to travel in the day.

EDIT: Actually, I am going to post this question on the PTP FB page. Lets see what answer they give.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 12th December 2011 at 17:09. Reason: Adding text

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks