Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 12th December 2011, 17:19   #616
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Bala, understand the skecpticsm here. But again, if the traffic lights were on, maybe, this guy would have survived.

Oh and I know for a fact that in your new organization, you are supposed to take flights out of Bombay . So, be prepared to travel in the day.

EDIT: Actually, I am going to post this question on the PTP FB page. Lets see what answer they give.
Yes, if the cab driver had bothered to follow the signal. Sorry to sound harsh, but the accident would not have occurred if he had the sense to slow down while approaching that intersection. Purely personal opinion though.

Damn that e-way, it always catches up with me one way or the other. It would have been fabulous to have a train link from Pune to that airport. But then it would have been great to have a metro from Pune to HJW as well. So I should stop digressing.

Let us know how it goes on the PTP FB page. Any result other than the contact details of Mr. Nale, i.e. I am considering metamorphosising into a vigilante type and acting on all those requests/ complaints on that FB page
Where can I find a red chaddi to wear over my blue cycling tights?

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th December 2011 at 17:21.
Old 12th December 2011, 17:59   #617
Team-BHP Support

I will be testing the new traffic system implemented at Yerwada in about 15-20 minutes from now. Hope to see some improvement. The average wait time at Yerwada bridge junction to go towards Sangamwadi was about 10 minutes during peak traffic times.
Old 12th December 2011, 20:18   #618
Distinguished - BHPian

When I was 14 I spent a month in Bahrain where my Dad was based. One night we went for ice cream at Dairy Maid and a nice long joyride with my Dad's friend in his old Corolla. It was sheer pleasure to roam around on the empty streets but what completely shocked me was that ALL the lights were operational well past midnight and even stranger, Uncleji was stopping at EACH and EVERY one of them!

For someone so used to see people break signals at whim even in broad daylight, this was a big surprise. I wondered then when we would have such discipline in our own country.

Unfortunately, friend Swanand, that day is still not here
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 20:26   #619
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Uncleji was stopping at EACH and EVERY one of them!

Unfortunately, friend Swanand, that day is still not here
Well, you can take a ride with me to get back those childhood days memories. It may not be safe though, and certainly unpleasant, as all sorts of abuses will be hurled towards us. I make it a point to stop at any red, specially if it is night time.

On a serious note, on an empty road, a stale green is the most dangerous signal.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th December 2011, 21:34   #620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
.... that ALL the lights were operational well past midnight ...
A few weeks ago, I was driving back from Mumbai airport about 2 am and the traffic light after the Suman Nagar (the flyover has opened few days ago) junction was operational. When I stopped, I saw a bike with a couple of young college going types guys approaching, the pillion carrying a bag. This guy went ahead, took a U and came close. I was debating what to do when he indicated my number plate and asked if I could give him a lift if I was going to Pune (MH14 plates). Said "Nope" , slotted into 1st and drove off. The light was still red.

I believe, at odd hours, you are better off slowing down, taking a quick check for traffic and continuing.
Old 13th December 2011, 10:22   #621
Senior - BHPian

Forget all night signals guys. Yesterday evening, I was going from E-square side to Sancheti bridge and signals were "off" all the way till RTO. Manually controlled traffic resulted in huge jams.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:20   #622
Senior - BHPian

noop, I second Dotty on that. Hitch a ride with me. I make it a point to stop at all reds, all the time. Yes, instead of people abusing us, it would be the other way around, though!
Well, we all know how mild mannered good ol Dotty is! Not all are moulded the same way.

I was to write on PTP FB page, but forgot to do so last evening. Lemme go ahead and do that now. Lets see what explanation they give.
Old 13th December 2011, 11:36   #623
Senior - BHPian

It is unfortunate to hear about selfdrive's colleague's fatal accident. One more reason why I am really really afraid to sit in cabs.
The accident happened at 4AM. But according to this report by the traffic cops, between 4 and 5 AM is the safest time be on Pune roads.
Old 13th December 2011, 13:59   #624
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
I will be testing the new traffic system implemented at Yerwada in about 15-20 minutes from now. Hope to see some improvement. The average wait time at Yerwada bridge junction to go towards Sangamwadi was about 10 minutes during peak traffic times.
How did the test result look like?
Old 13th December 2011, 14:12   #625
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
It is unfortunate to hear about selfdrive's colleague's fatal accident.
A clarification from my side. Apparently the 2 vehicles involved in this accident were moved to the Alka theatre chowk later. Some people told me yesterday that the accident actually happened somewhere on Bajirao road. Perhaps at the intersection with Laxmi road.
The suspicion is that one of the vehicles was headed on Bajirao road against the day time one way direction. Which if true, will open a whole new can of worms.
Old 13th December 2011, 14:31   #626
Senior - BHPian

Bala, if that be the case, then the entire incident actually takes a whole new 'turn'. I thought that road is a "one way" for all the time. Didnt know about it being a one way only in the day time.

Also, I believe, you would be making use of the new bridge during peak hours. Your experiance?
Old 13th December 2011, 14:43   #627
Distinguished - BHPian

You guys perhaps are new to Pune (or India). One-ways, no entries, speed limits, stopping at traffic signals, hell even driving on the left side of the road are only meant to be followed in the daytime, when the chances of being fined by a cop or beaten up by angry bystanders is high. Once night falls, you are free to ignore all the road signs and drive as you please.

You should check with locals before posting such non-value-adding posts. Really!
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 15:37   #628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
How did the test result look like?
3 minutes flat to cross the bridge twice! No bottlenecks. No jams. The earlier issue of rickshaw workshops just after crossing the junction towards BEG has been sorted by moving them on the stretch between the new bridge and the darga.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th December 2011, 16:00   #629
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Bala, if that be the case, then the entire incident actually takes a whole new 'turn'. I thought that road is a "one way" for all the time. Didnt know about it being a one way only in the day time.

Also, I believe, you would be making use of the new bridge during peak hours. Your experiance?
Wah wah, senior saab! One more reason for a party

Unfortunately I havent found the time to cross the bridge yet. I will try it sometime later this week. Classic case of leading the 'donkey' to the water's edge (ok gutter's edge) but unable to cross it
Old 14th December 2011, 21:50   #630
dot
Senior - BHPian

Most of you know that the new Sangamwadi bridge road ends in a T junction which either goes to Yerwada or Holkar Bridge. That T junction is soon going to be a 4 way intersection as soon as they open a brand new road. This new road will essentially be the extension of the Sangamwadi bridge road and will terminate at the Jail Road. It goes right next to our buildings.

That means, we need to to just step out of the house and go straight to the city. Wow.

Folks in the building are not too happy as they feel that traffic noise will increase. Well, you cant please everyone.
dot is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed