Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2011, 13:21   #646
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

To be honest, Pune airport does not have many flights. Plus the flights are expensive when compared to the ones departing from Mumbai. Hence, not many prefer to go via Pune.
Overall, I don't expect huge number of people visiting the airport when compared to other airports. The airport is not very critical from civilian perspective.

Nevertheless, any new road/ bridge that gets built in the city is a welcome change (I know they do these things just before elections, but still it is positive).
Old 16th December 2011, 13:45   #647
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
To be honest, Pune airport does not have many flights. Plus the flights are expensive when compared to the ones departing from Mumbai. Hence, not many prefer to go via Pune.
Overall, I don't expect huge number of people visiting the airport when compared to other airports. The airport is not very critical from civilian perspective.
To every man to his own. Have you ever checked flights for Chennai or Bangalore? Every time I have, Pune flights are cheaper. Although its quite the opposite for north/east side flights.

I know so many IT Project Managers complaining about not having direct international flights to Pune (for clients). Its a huge trouble, getting them to stopover at Mumbai and then come by cab/connecting flights. As long as the IT industry is here, expect the demand to stay (or till the international airport comes at Panvel).

Quote:
Nevertheless, any new road/ bridge that gets built in the city is a welcome change (I know they do these things just before elections, but still it is positive).
+1 to that. But the administration seems to have some resemblance of a plan for that section of the city, so it seems.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:39   #648
Senior - BHPian

My observation is that flights off Pune are generally more expensive than the ones off Mumbai.
For international routes, (say Dubai or Frankfurt) the rate difference is around Rs. 3000 + per ticket.
For domestic routes, tickets to East and West India are generally expensive. At times, there is no direct flight in the first place.
It will take a year or two to come down, I guess.

On another note, the garden at Nagpur chawl, near MH Board is now complete. It was under renovation for a long time. Overall the work done is very good.
Old 16th December 2011, 14:51   #649
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I know so many IT Project Managers complaining about not having direct international flights to Pune (for clients). Its a huge trouble, getting them to stopover at Mumbai and then come by cab/connecting flights. As long as the IT industry is here, expect the demand to stay (or till the international airport comes at Panvel).

+1 to that. But the administration seems to have some resemblance of a plan for that section of the city, so it seems.
The international flight from Frankfurt was ok till it started taking an (extra) refueling stop at Tbilisi in Georgia or Ankara in Turkey.
Nevertheless, I find it better to take a stop in Frankfurt than taking that sorry late night cab ride from Mumbai.

Plan for Pune city now? Sounds like locking the door after the horse has bolted. There should have been a plan in place 20 years ago. With a metro network inplace by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
My observation is that flights off Pune are generally more expensive than the ones off Mumbai.
For international routes, (say Dubai or Frankfurt) the rate difference is around Rs. 3000 + per ticket.
I would be better off paying the extra 3000 than taking a cab and saving the airfare. Unfortunately, the travel desks dont agree most of the times.
Also, Hyderabad airport was adverstising quite aggressively as a stopover destination some time ago. Not sure what the rates look like. It may be a good choice from Pune airport
Old 17th December 2011, 12:20   #650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

Also, Hyderabad airport was adverstising quite aggressively as a stopover destination some time ago. Not sure what the rates look like. It may be a good choice from Pune airport
Yes Hyderabad are promoting themselves quite aggressively as a flying out / in point. However IMO the advantages are more focused on SE Asia & Middle East. The other connections to Europe / US cost similar or maybe slightly more than Mumbai. But yes they have built an excellent infrastructure in & supporting the Hyderabad airport while at Pune we are still discussing where the next PUNE focused international airport will finally be placed.
Old 19th December 2011, 10:57   #651
Senior - BHPian

Well, the myth that Pune airport does'nt have much traffic was busted last night.
I was at a place called Maya (in Wagholi). An open air RLC, where, in the span of 2 hours I could see at least 25 planes land in Pune. This, on a Sunday night at that!

So, I suppose, with the increasing growth in the IT and manufacturing sector, all those road widening/new roads to the airport does make sense afterall.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:14   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
But yes they have built an excellent infrastructure in & supporting the Hyderabad airport while at Pune we are still discussing where the next PUNE focused international airport will finally be placed.
Aint that true for Bangalore as well ? Dont worry man, I expect my grandkids to be on the inaugural flight out of Pune International Airport at Chakan.
Pune is behind almost all comparable cities in terms of road infrastructure as well.
Old 19th December 2011, 11:57   #653
Senior - BHPian

I guess we are comparing apples to oranges. All the cities that we compared Pune with are capital cities for their respective states and they themselves are much behind the schedule.

Pune has this dubious distinction of second city of a state which is hugely developed, hardly any other city in India has such similarity. Barring of course the exception Gujarat.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:07   #654
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
I guess we are comparing apples to oranges. All the cities that we compared Pune with are capital cities for their respective states and they themselves are much behind the schedule.

Pune has this dubious distinction of second city of a state which is hugely developed, hardly any other city in India has such similarity. Barring of course the exception Gujarat.
Honestly IMO, that is quite a lame excuse. But true in the sense probably when it comes to funds allocation - the metros do get a better chunk of the resources.

Isn't Nagpur supposed to be even more well planned & with better infrastructure than Pune? Apologies if I am wrong on this, but most of my localite friends keep mentioning this. Haven't been to Nagpur yet.
Old 19th December 2011, 12:12   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Honestly IMO, that is quite a lame excuse. But true in the sense probably when it comes to funds allocation - the metros do get a better chunk of the resources.

Isn't Nagpur supposed to be even more well planned & with better infrastructure than Pune? Apologies if I am wrong on this, but most of my localite friends keep mentioning this. Haven't been to Nagpur yet.

Ah! I am not supporting this, of course for all the taxes we pay through our noses, we deserve better, but my point is Pune is place where "people" can make money and when "people" have to make money "infrastructure" has to make its own share of sacrifices (again I am not supporting this). This is not possible (or at least not as easy) in cities like Hyderabad or Bangalore as they are capital cities and generally the places where most investment goes!

I ain't been to Nagpur, but at least Nagpur might not be dealing with the huge inflow of IT body shoppers and students who flock to Pune through out the year for obvious reasons!
Old 20th December 2011, 00:08   #656
dot
Senior - BHPian

Range Hill Road was totally jam packed on Sunday. Traffic was crawling and there was no place to park. It was amazing to see cars parked in places where normally no one would venture. I wonder how did they ever land up on rocks and ditches.

It was due to a rural fair: Bhimtadi Jatra. Any idea what was the rush all about?
Old 20th December 2011, 10:53   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It was due to a rural fair: Bhimtadi Jatra. Any idea what was the rush all about?
I am ashamed of the fact that I dont know what the 'Bhimtadi Jatra' is all about. All I know is, the food in that jatra is to die for. The most lip smacking Veg/Non Veg dishes are prepared on coal.

It happens every year where the rural side of Maharashtra is displayed, I suppose.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 13:03   #658
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post

Actually Pune has better infrastructure than a lot of these so-called capital cities. I hope it stays that way, but looking at the way the metro plan, for example, keeps getting scuttled, it does not fill me with much hope.

My wife and I grew up in Mumbai, lived a while in Bangalore, ran away when it got intolerable to Singapore before "settling" in Pune. I was telling her the other day we are running out of places to run from!
Old 20th December 2011, 13:28   #659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Actually Pune has better infrastructure than a lot of these so-called capital cities. I hope it stays that way,
I strongly disagree .Would be interesting to know what places your are comparing Pune with ? A place like Pune ( to be precise Hinjewadi ) which happens to be the IT hub and has 1+ Lac manpower commuting daily doesnt have proper roads (forget the infrastructure ) , what else should we ask for ?

IMHO , Pune happens to have one of the worst civic administration and worst planning model considering it to be a Tier 1/2 city .
Old 20th December 2011, 15:34   #660
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond View Post
A place like Pune ( to be precise Hinjewadi ) which happens to be the IT hub and has 1+ Lac manpower commuting daily doesnt have proper roads
This 1 lac manpower probably commands next to zero voting power. I get a feeling that it is one reason why this vital part of the city is so neglected, when you consider 8 laned great roads coming up in otherwise sleepy neighborhoods.

Most Viewed