Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th December 2011, 15:52   #661
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
This 1 lac manpower probably commands next to zero voting power. I get a feeling that it is one reason why this vital part of the city is so neglected, when you consider 8 laned great roads coming up in otherwise sleepy neighborhoods.
Maybe that.

Methinks a Pawar-ful school on the extreme north-west side of the airport also gives a hint on why that part of the town is developing faster. Can any localite explain the power politics of Pune? Who comes from which area/supported by which area(s), etc.
Old 20th December 2011, 15:58   #662
BHPian

Quote:
This 1 lac manpower probably commands next to zero voting power. I get a feeling that it is one reason why this vital part of the city is so neglected, when you consider 8 laned great roads coming up in otherwise sleepy neighborhoods.
Well.. this 1 lac+ manpower do not vote for any development in Hinjewadi, they obviously vote for issues in the area they stay in, don't they? Yes, it may affect their voting pattern, but they are not organized In our country those people get the share who are organized (read unions)
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 16:19   #663
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't want to get into defending anybody here. Pune's infrastructure is (in absolute terms) abysmal and we have a long way to go before we boast even a fraction of what exists in large cities across the world.

I was just responding to Anil's point about "capital" cities: with the exception of the metros, the rest are as pathetic as any Class 2 town. Where our leaders fail is to see an opportunity to take a different path from the trodden one: case in point, Pune could possibly have had a world-class airport, mass rapid transit system etc. BEFORE it actually "needed" it (Bangalore for example got in too late for both of those). But I guess that would be expecting too much!
noopster is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 16:51   #664
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I don't want to get into defending anybody here. Pune's infrastructure is (in absolute terms) abysmal and we have a long way to go before we boast even a fraction of what exists in large cities across the world.

I was just responding to Anil's point about "capital" cities: with the exception of the metros, the rest are as pathetic as any Class 2 town. Where our leaders fail is to see an opportunity to take a different path from the trodden one: case in point, Pune could possibly have had a world-class airport, mass rapid transit system etc. BEFORE it actually "needed" it (Bangalore for example got in too late for both of those). But I guess that would be expecting too much!
Completely agree with you!!
In fact I cant think of any city (metro, tier 1, 2, whatever) in India which has designed to be working efficiently 25 years later (Chandigarh? NCR? not sure) Forget cities, even roads are designed by short sighted people, classic example the Pune -> Belgaum NH4 section, within 6-8 years of its constructions, they realized another lane is needed, wow!!

Regarding Hinjewadi, yes the area was developed for IT companies to come over, but approach roads, parking? Nobody thinks about that; which is the case with ALL malls and multiplexes in the city, isn't it?
Old 20th December 2011, 16:59   #665
Senior - BHPian

@noopster: The basic problem in Pune is lack of public transport. There are way too many vehicles on the road for the population that we have in Pune. Mass rapid transport is absent. No metro in sight for the next 3 years. PMPML had maximum bus breakdowns in November (and the cops have given them a warning of Rs. 1000 fine for every breakdown since they cause traffic issues for them).

The roads are average condition but, less vehicles on road (in the hypothetical scenario) would buy us more time to build new infrastructure.

I have been born and brought up in Mumbai, lived in Bangalore for four years (was in other places before that) and then settled down in Pune.
I would say, in last three years, Pune has gone from good to bad - still a lot better than Bangalore in terms of traffic and lack of speed-breakers.

But, visit a place like Rajkot, Gandhinagar or Ahmedabad and then come back to Pune and you suddenly sense the level of corruption in our state. (compare the infrastructure in those cities - e.g. Gandhinagar is the place to settle down with tons of greenery and beautiful broad roads)
Unfortunately not many opportunities (infact zero) for me in those places.

I read somewhere that Pune was second best place to live in India. Can't find that link right now.

Anyway, I was at the station on Saturday night to pick up my wife and the parking was full. Never seen such a lot of commotion there at that time (10 PM).
Had to take a round and come back and still could not find a place. Did a double parking and then finally a car moved out and I got a place to park. The scene inside the station was even worse. The platform resembled Dadar station at peak hours. Someone said that there was a special train coming at mid-night and hence the rush.

On the way back, took the new bridge at Bund Garden for the first time. It was nice and relaxed drive home at 11 PM.

Last edited by S_U_N : 20th December 2011 at 17:01.
Old 20th December 2011, 17:31   #666
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@noopster:Pune has gone from good to bad - still a lot better than Bangalore in terms of traffic and lack of speed-breakers.

But, visit a place like Rajkot, Gandhinagar or Ahmedabad and then come back to Pune and you suddenly sense the level of corruption in our state. (compare the infrastructure in those cities - e.g. Gandhinagar is the place to settle down with tons of greenery and beautiful broad roads)
Unfortunately not many opportunities (infact zero) for me in those places.
Exactly my thought . Places such as Ah'bad, Rajkot , Surat , Gandhi Nagar , Jaipur , Noida when have such infra , why can't such a big industrial joint can have basics( to be read roads ) . The problem is too much of corruption in our dear state .

Quote:
Probaly Yes , but its just not only about voting areas . The overall comparision of Pune with some Tier 1/2 city in India itself would tell you the story . Not that funds are not sanctioned , just that they are not executed . They are just not used for public welfare instead they are used for Political welfare . IMO places such as Kolhapur have better roads than Pune ?? Sad state of things .

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Pune's infrastructure is (in absolute terms) abysmal and we have a long way to go before we boast even a fraction of what exists in large cities across the world.
Forget about world class cities and their fractions to be implemented , the complete mentality has to change for bringing a change and making our dear Pune a really nice place . .
Old 20th December 2011, 17:44   #667
Senior - BHPian

Just to add to the discussion- I have observed that all the approach roads (for about 50-100KMs) to any Reliance industry are excellent.

While I was doing this Pune-Vizag trip I had to take a de-tour to Samalkot (Reliance has is its industries in Godavari basin somewhere near this town) which is off the highway and I must say the roads are much better than the highway itself!! I gather the scene is pretty much similar for other Reliance industries too.

I wonder why our beloved IT/auto conglomerate can't make that happen! pst! pst!
Old 20th December 2011, 17:50   #668
Senior - BHPian

Reliance is much 'closer' to the politicos and has a history of getting things done (albeit for own benefit or for greater good).
IT co's/ auto co's, though well connected, do not have the same influence.
But yes, they do have some influence.
For example: It took many years for the IT co's in Electronics City, Bangalore to get the elevated highway done on Hosur Road. It was a victory of sorts to finally see the highway completed and running. They had put in lot of efforts (including personal interaction of Azim Premji and NRN) on this.

Once metro is fully operational, Bangalore may be up on the list of best places to live.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:13   #669
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jealousdiamond

IMO places such as Kolhapur have better roads than Pune ??
No no no no.
Very few roads in kolhapur are in good shape thanks to some fund received from central gov, otherwise the roads are wort to say the least.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:28   #670
Senior - BHPian

I have to say, except for problems arising out of sheer inadequacy of things, Hinjewadi roads are a better place to be stuck in a jam than in the main city.
People mostly observe lane discipline (subjectively), there is no excessive honking (thoda honking is normal and is part of background noise), not much road rage too. Hinjewadians can get stuck on city roads, say, when the signals are out of order during peak hours, and can immediately notice the difference. I would say, Hinjewadians (I hate this term!) are now used to the extreme chaos and have adjusted to it.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th December 2011, 18:39   #671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I have to say, except for problems arising out of sheer inadequacy of things, Hinjewadi roads are a better place to be stuck in a jam than in the main city.
People mostly observe lane discipline (subjectively), there is no excessive honking (thoda honking is normal and is part of background noise), not much road rage too. Hinjewadians can get stuck on city roads, say, when the signals are out of order during peak hours, and can immediately notice the difference. I would say, Hinjewadians (I hate this term!) are now used to the extreme chaos and have adjusted to it.
Yes, I agree completely. Today I was to go out of the city and hence traveled to the other end of the city and was surprised to see odd things (including people, cattle, bikes and autos) darting across as if they are testing the general driving skills of vehicles passing. Believe me you, this is on the highway!

And I have been rear ended (actually a combo of rear ending and side scraping) by an ST bus while waiting for signal to clear, which a while ago was letting passengers alight and board the bus by stopping on the fast lane of the highway (near Katraj) I encountered so much random chaos on road that I cancelled my journey and returned back to office, looks like people have taken seriously the phrase "Highway to Hell"!!

Last edited by anilisanil : 20th December 2011 at 18:42.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:48   #672
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
And I have been rear ended (actually a combo of rear ending and side scraping) by an ST bus while waiting for signal to clear, which a while ago was letting passengers alight and board the bus by stopping on the fast lane of the highway (near Katraj) I encountered so much random chaos on road that I cancelled my journey and returned back to office, looks like people have taken seriously the phrase "Highway to Hell"!!
What? Today!

Also, on the bypass weirdos have this weird habit of squeezing in between lanes. A yellow boarded Swift actually squeezed past into the service shoulder near Lalani Quantum today as I slowed down to let people take their leisure strolls and he brushed across a few labourer women waiting by the side of the road. Ofcourse, Mr.Moron didnt bother to stop and zoomed across. And he could get no further than 100 meters from me at any point thereafter, inspite of constantly pulling risky maneuvers.

PS : Its so so so so stress free to take the bike within the city instead of the car. I have decided against letting go of mine.

Last edited by sajo : 20th December 2011 at 18:49.
Old 20th December 2011, 18:51   #673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
What? Today!
Yes today!! And all this right in front of the police station!
Old 20th December 2011, 19:00   #674
Senior - BHPian

Really sorry to hear about the incident Anil. Must be crushing, (mentally!). What happened thereafter ? Compensation, taking to task, Mobbed, etc ?
Old 20th December 2011, 23:33   #675
Senior - BHPian

Article Window

Dumper sniffs out yet another young life. She was apparently slowing down at a signal as it turned orange when she was hit by the dumper from behind.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks