Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2012, 11:22   #796
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

You guys should start a new thread called "Spotted a rear-ending" like we have TeamBHP sticker spotting thread. Sajo will be as active on this thread as IronHawk is on the sticker spotting thread.
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2012, 12:06   #797
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Sajo will be as active on this thread as IronHawk is on the sticker spotting thread.
I had a co-spotter in the form of Mr.Reinhard yesterday! So I wasnt the only one..
Inspite of all this, people still throw caution to the wind on this road and ride/drive like Morons.
Old 10th January 2012, 12:53   #798
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I had a co-spotter in the form of Mr.Reinhard yesterday! So I wasnt the only one..

Weird, I spotted neither of you!! Even I was stuck in the resultant jam, not to mention the moron in Safari from the MH14 land who is dangerously tail gating me and flashing his lights, I had faintest of clues as on where he wanted me to go!
Old 12th January 2012, 09:52   #799
BHPian

Had to go to a medical shop yesterday evening, via Senapati Bapat Road. The traffic was extremely horrible, wide roads yet completely packed. Not sure what will be the fate of Pune few years down the line. Looking at HJW the width of the roads is questionable, but even if roads are widened, not sure, it will solve the traffic chaos. There is no option other than an improved public transport, IMHO.

Started from HJW at 5:45pm, reached back home at Balewadi by 8:30 pm. 35 kms in close to 2 hrs, with a 10 minutes stop at the medical store at Ghole Road and 5 minute stop at Joshi Vadewale for sumptuous vada-paav after eons.
Old 12th January 2012, 09:57   #800
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post

Started from HJW at 5:45pm, reached back home at Balewadi by 8:30 pm. 35 kms in close to 2 hrs
Hjw-Balewadi 35 KMS?
I am sure I am missing something here!!
Old 12th January 2012, 09:58   #801
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anilisanil View Post
Hjw-Balewadi 35 KMS?
I am sure I am missing something here!!
HJW-Ghole Road (Shivaji Nagar)-Balewadi
Old 12th January 2012, 10:03   #802
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
HJW-Ghole Road (Shivaji Nagar)-Balewadi
Oh OK!

I was confused coz I left at 6 from Hjw Phase 3 and reached Bhavdhan in 50 minutes so about 20 Kms in 50 minutes. Almost same rate @ 18kmph? Consistent with your average speed. So that gets me thinking, average speed of vehicles in Pune during rush hour is about 15-20 KMPH.
anilisanil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:23   #803
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Had to go to a medical shop yesterday evening, via Senapati Bapat Road. The traffic was extremely horrible, wide roads yet completely packed. Not sure what will be the fate of Pune few years down the line. Looking at HJW the width of the roads is questionable, but even if roads are widened, not sure, it will solve the traffic chaos. There is no option other than an improved public transport, IMHO.
Welcome to part of my daily commute! After a couple of rear endings due to impatient bikers I have given up and switched over to my bike. This unfortunately is the daily story on arterial roads in town. SB, FC, JM, Karve, Paud roads. You name it and its choc a bloc.
The emphasis on public transport should have been laid sometime in the 90s before the big vehicle boom. So much for planning. How many people will actually use public transport when they have at least 1 vehicle per head at home?
Heck, even the GQ divider should have been wider and had a high speed rail track in it! Now I am digressing

Quote:
Oh OK!
I was confused coz I left at 6 from Hjw Phase 3 and reached Bhavdhan in 50 minutes so about 20 Kms in 50 minutes. Almost same rate @ 18kmph? Consistent with your average speed. So that gets me thinking, average speed of vehicles in Pune during rush hour is about 15-20 KMPH.
Anil, average speed of cars is 15-20 clicks. May actually be 10 to 15 in some worse off areas!

Quote:
Because even when on the highway in your car, you rarely get to hit highway speeds and its more crowded these days (from 8am-11am and 6pm-8pm) than Laxmi Road.
EDIT : Selfdrive , considering a TBTS 'eh?
Technically only part of Laxmi road is crowded and that too due to parking and stopping on both sides.
Yeah, considering selling my existing bike and the Nano to get the downpayment to buy one. Cannot live with 5 petrol vehicles dude
^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th January 2012 at 10:48.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 10:29   #804
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
speed of vehicles in Pune during rush hour is about 15-20 KMPH.
Interesting!
The highway notwithsanding , I think bikes are a faster (though relatively unsafe) mode to get in and out of Hinjewadi.
Because even when on the highway in your car, you rarely get to hit highway speeds and its more crowded these days (from 8am-11am and 6pm-8pm) than Laxmi Road.

EDIT : Selfdrive , considering a TBTS 'eh?

Last edited by sajo : 12th January 2012 at 10:30.
Old 12th January 2012, 10:38   #805
Senior - BHPian

Muaaaahhh !!

There was this jackass biker today morning tailing me for some time from the Pashan circle till the 3M outlet on the Pashan-Baner link road. He touched my car twice for no reason, so I decided to do something. When we both reached the place which gets extremely narrow, just outside 3M outlet, this jackass was on the extreme right and then came a 3 wheeler tempo from the opposite direction. Now suddenly, this guy had no where to go, so naturally, he tried to stuff himself in the non-existent gap between me and the next vehicle. I did not let that happen. I floored and closed the gap in no time and this was biker was glaring head-on at the tempo. The tempo screeched to a grinding halt with few mms gap between the tempo and the pulsar. Tempo driver gave the biker a nice morning dose and I fled from the scene.

Muaaaaaaaahhh!!
ajay_satpute is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th January 2012, 11:46   #806
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Welcome to part of my daily commute! After a couple of rear endings due to impatient bikers I have given up and switched over to my bike. This unfortunately is the daily story on arterial roads in town. SB, FC, JM, Karve, Paud roads. You name it and its choc a bloc.
The emphasis on public transport should have been laid sometime in the 90s before the big vehicle boom. So much for planning. How many people will actually use public transport when they have at least 1 vehicle per head at home?

Technically only part of Laxmi road is crowded and that too due to parking and stopping on both sides.
^^
Me thinks, a good solution atleast for HJW, could be, if trams are plied within HJW, with high frequency, and huge parking areas built outside - near the service road of NH4. With no plans of metro at HJW, this is the option, and used very judiciously all over Europe. The same model can be replicated for Laxmi road too. I remember I had written to TOI editor almost 7-8 yrs ago with this proposal, but it was never published.
On the other hand, with the vehicle boom, I feel, this situation might be a bit political, it could be that the automobile companies would be bribing govt officials to go slow (or not go altogether) on addressing the traffic chaos, else they will suffer losses.
Old 13th January 2012, 10:58   #807
Senior - BHPian

So its election time again, and the political parties are holding the city to ransom yet again , in the name of "Show of Strength".
How about this : Hundreds of two wheelers blatantly ride on to the Lakdi Bridge in peak hours under the name of "campaigning".
Old 13th January 2012, 11:10   #808
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So its election time again, and the political parties are holding the city to ransom yet again , in the name of "Show of Strength".
How about this : Hundreds of two wheelers blatantly ride on to the Lakdi Bridge in peak hours under the name of "campaigning".
Isnt the campaigning period over? Well, at least in some states it is (with some statues being covered et al).

Two wheelers were never allowed on Lakdi pul, unless after 9PM. If that is the case, then why should these so called loyalists be allowed? Different strokes for different folks?
Old 13th January 2012, 12:25   #809
Team-BHP Support

The broken speed breakers (plastic ones) between Pashan circle and Bavdhan have been repaired and replaced. As a tax, they have converted the single speed breakers to a sort of double rumbling strip. A 1st grade student can build a better speed breaker than what looks like an upside down pothole. Thankfully two of these rumblers were converted to a single speed breaker.

Speaking of speed breakers, they have added a couple on the ends of the newly opened flyover near Yerwada. Just to slow you down at the end of the bridge. Expect that speed breaker to turn into gravel soon.

@sajo, I saw campaigning for a famous party as well. This was around the Golf course area. Pitch drunk riders carry two pillions, one of them with a flag and standing on foot rests. Rickshaws with people flowing out from all openings. Running board riders on SUV's, jeeps, etc. Not an uncommon sight to see them occupying most of the lanes and blasting their horns as well. It is normal practice to abuse passing public in the name of campaigning. Teasing women is their strong point as well.

I just remembered an incident from 2010 when my good friend and a Wing Commander for the IAF was driving on South Main Road to his staff quarters. There is a nice defence property for 4 officers in K.P.

Police had put up barricades following the German bakery blast and were harrassing commuters for petty things like a PUC. My friend was returning from work at Senapati Bapat Road and wasn't carrying a PUC or his bike papers which was registered in Gujarat. As usual, cops spots a GJ registration and their eyes light up. He pulled my friend over and said in his usual tone: "licen, pushee, paper". My friend handed over his license and without taking it back, told him he'll get the other docs in 5 minutes. He drove home which is less than 200 meters away. Took his Red beacon Gypsy and went back with the docs. The look on the face of the cops, priceless! Needless to say, without flexing too many muscles, he got back his license but he did show all papers required. When I asked him why he took the Gypsy, he said, "my bike was almost out of fuel".

Last edited by moralfibre : 13th January 2012 at 12:39.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th January 2012, 12:36   #810
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Muaaaahhh !!

There was this jackass biker today morning tailing me for some time from the Pashan circle till the 3M outlet on the Pashan-Baner link road. He touched my car twice for no reason, so I decided to do something. When we both reached the place which gets extremely narrow, just outside 3M outlet, this jackass was on the extreme right and then came a 3 wheeler tempo from the opposite direction. Now suddenly, this guy had no where to go, so naturally, he tried to stuff himself in the non-existent gap between me and the next vehicle. I did not let that happen. I floored and closed the gap in no time and this was biker was glaring head-on at the tempo. The tempo screeched to a grinding halt with few mms gap between the tempo and the pulsar. Tempo driver gave the biker a nice morning dose and I fled from the scene.

Muaaaaaaaahhh!!
My dear friend the whole incident sounded good but I must say you escaped a potential dent or scratch from that biker which is good. But if it would have been than unfortunate scene you would have cursed yourself to no end for knowingly getting into it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks