Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2012, 11:00   #826
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

And I thought I had seen everything on our roads....

Today morning, on a relatively peaceful drive to work, here I am on the bypass, enjoying some nice retro songs, the winter sun shining in the car. What I see in front of me not only shocked me, but it also amused me to no limits.

Two cars, one in the right lane, one in the left. Both driving at the exact speed. CHATTING with each other, windows rolled down. If that wasnt enough, they decide to pass some kind of a file, between the windows. All this, while driving, on the bloody bypass!

No guesses for where they turned into. Yes, good ol Hinjewadi! Who said we IT folks are educated and civilised!

.... And I thought I had seen everything on our roads!
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th January 2012, 11:38   #827
BHPian

The other day my father had a interesting conversation with the rickshaw driver when he was trying to hire a rickshaw from shivajinager to chandani chowk.
He asked the first driver whether he will take him to chandani chowk. The driver in usual rude way said the fare would be 1.5 times the meter fare. Mind you this was in the middle of afternoon.
So my father moved on to next driver and asked the same question. The driver said he will go by the meter fare however 20Rs. extra would be charged over the meter fare. My father asked why Rs. 20 more and the answer which the driver gave was unimaginable. He said it is too cold right now (middle of afternoon) hence the Rs. 20 more.

Hiring an auto rickshaw is quiet a task but these drivers can give any reason for making a quick buck above the meter fare.
Old 16th January 2012, 20:25   #828
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The broken speed breakers (plastic ones) between Pashan circle and Bavdhan have been repaired and replaced. As a tax, they have converted the single speed breakers to a sort of double rumbling strip. A 1st grade student can build a better speed breaker than what looks like an upside down pothole. Thankfully two of these rumblers were converted to a single speed breaker.
These speed breakers have got a treatment now. They have covered the double rumbling strip with some tar which has made life a bit easy.

Are there any standards for speed breakers?
Old 17th January 2012, 09:15   #829
BHPian

Yesterday had to go to a clinic at Aundh (parallel lane to Reliance Mart) from Balewadi. While going from home took the usual Baner Road route. Distance = 9 kms, time taken: 40 mins

While coming back, took the newly constructed bridge via Pimple Nilakh to home at Balewadi.
Distance = 7 kms, time taken: 12 mins

Though the route is not well lit, but tarmac quality is good and absolutely zero traffic! Would recommend if you want a good sedate drive, avoiding the bumper-to-bumper traffic at Aundh and Baner Road.
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 11:32   #830
Senior - BHPian

^^Rahul: Where exactly is this new bridge? Which areas does it connect?
Old 17th January 2012, 11:56   #831
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post
Yesterday had to go to a clinic at Aundh (parallel lane to Reliance Mart) from Balewadi. While going from home took the usual Baner Road route. Distance = 9 kms, time taken: 40 mins

While coming back, took the newly constructed bridge via Pimple Nilakh to home at Balewadi.

Though the route is not well lit, but tarmac quality is good and absolutely zero traffic! Would recommend if you want a good sedate drive, avoiding the bumper-to-bumper traffic at Aundh and Baner Road.
So you went all the way from Rakshak chowk or is there any other road which links to the bridge before Rakshak chowk?

@Swanand
Bridge can be seen here. The one in Aundh is old and obvious. The other one is new and connects Pimple Nilakh to Baner.
Unknown road to Balewadi Rd - Google Maps
alto99 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 12:04   #832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
So you went all the way from Rakshak chowk or is there any other road which links to the bridge before Rakshak chowk?

@Swanand
Bridge can be seen here. The one in Aundh is old and obvious. The other one is new and connects Pimple Nilakh to Baner.
Unknown road to Balewadi Rd - Google Maps
Yup, I went all the way upto Rakshak chowk. No link roads. The map correctly depicts the route taken by me.

@Swanand: Not sure about the true "VFM" of the bridge, though works for people residing at Pimple Nilakh and Balewadi though.

Easier to reach Reliance Mart, fortunately or unfortunately ?
rahul_sinha is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 12:11   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_sinha View Post

Rahul,
Have they put a proper tarmac on either sides of the bridge? Last time I used it (3-4 months ago) the road was pretty bad on either side of the bridge. Plus the exit/entry point on the Pimple Nilakh side is pretty narrow. My car was stuck up once behind a stationary truck in one of the lanes with the driver nowhere. Had a harrowing time to get it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
@Swanand, the ideal route is to go via Rakshak chowk, go through the village area in PimNil, and cross the bridge to reach Balewadi Phata. IMO, a great option for bikes but not yet for cars, unless the entire stretch of road has been improved.

I once used this road at 1 in the night, and was stopped/checked by a police van just next to the bridge. Apparently a few mugging cases have occured on this road, as there is no street lights and the area is very sparsely populated.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 12:20   #834
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Rahul,
Have they put a proper tarmac on either sides of the bridge? Last time I used it (3-4 months ago) the road was pretty bad on either side of the bridge. Plus the exit/entry point on the Pimple Nilakh side is pretty narrow. My car was stuck up once behind a stationary truck in one of the lanes with the driver nowhere. Had a harrowing time to get it out.

@Swanand, the ideal route is to go via Rakshak chowk, go through the village area in PimNil, and cross the bridge to reach Balewadi Phata. IMO, a great option for bikes but not yet for cars, unless the entire stretch of road has been improved.

I once used this road at 1 in the night, and was stopped/checked by a police van just next to the bridge. Apparently a few mugging cases have occured on this road, as there is no street lights and the area is very sparsely populated.
I drove my cruze through it with aplomb. And I had driven my cruze before as well, when there was not a proper road, but at that time speed was barely 10km/h and I was cursing myself.

Yes, good quality tarmac is laid.
Only three things of concern
1. No street lights before the bridge, esp when the road passes by an under-construction society
2. After the bridge, just before entering Balewadi, there are bulging man-holes in the middle of the road, that one should be careful about
3. The turn into Balewadi is a blinder, so be cautious.

Am planning for a walkabout early morning on one of the weekends, parking my car somewhere within Pimple Nilakh, the area reminds me of good old uncluttered Pune.

Last edited by rahul_sinha : 17th January 2012 at 12:26.
Old 17th January 2012, 12:34   #835
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ That is an excellent alternative to the highway. What are the authorities waiting for, Christmas? (even that has passed). Someone who lives right next to More in Balewadi (where the bridge ends) told me about it otherwise I had no clue about it. Must try it sometime.

I did a lot of driving in Mumbai over the weekend (from South and Central Mumbai to Western suburbs) and I must say that we Punekars have it a lot better. My Vento went as low as 3.7 kmpl on MID. Average speed 15 kmpl after a day's driving of over 50 km. And I got the distinct feeling that every SUV and auto driver, not to mention BEST bus, was trying to murder me.

Happy to be back!
Old 17th January 2012, 12:43   #836
Team-BHP Support

rahul_sinha, I can't thank you enough on the road update. I will be moving to my new apartment near Pancard club soon and this road is a boon if I had to visit my relatives in Wakad. Brilliant alternative I'd say. How wide is the road throughout? Does it go through any residential settlements or is it secluded? I must drive on it soon to find out.
Old 17th January 2012, 14:21   #837
Team-BHP Support

noopsters thread here, reminded me of a scamster I encountered very very recently. Last Friday, I was driving down from my friends place in Vishrantwadi and wifey felt like having kathi kababs at Kapila, so I turned right from Central and made a left at the Anchorage to end up on the road that runs between Kapila and Connaught place. I parked my car in front of Great Punjab .

I have frequently parked on this road in the past since it has parking readily available as compared to the road opposite Ruby Hall. It was about 8 pm and as soon as I parked, a kid knocks on my window screaming "Parking, parking ticket!" I don't know what got into me and I rolled down my window and asked him: "Kaan ke niche awaaz nikalu kya?" (You want to be slapped?). Immediately realized that I was in the vicinity of Tadiwala road and held back from slapping the kid add to it that wifey was seated right next to me and was quick to hold me back. As soon as I got off the car, the kid ran across the road into a lane. I don't know how, but immediate instinct made me realize he was a con. I recollect very clearly that the kid had a ticket book in his hand and I was dead sure that this road has free parking.

I returned after enjoying my kabab to see the kid continuing to fleece unaware people. Just thought I'd let fellow bhpians know.
moralfibre is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th January 2012, 15:08   #838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
rahul_sinha, I can't thank you enough on the road update. I will be moving to my new apartment near Pancard club soon and this road is a boon if I had to visit my relatives in Wakad. Brilliant alternative I'd say. How wide is the road throughout? Does it go through any residential settlements or is it secluded? I must drive on it soon to find out.
No worries abt the width of the road. In fact, there is even more widening going to happen, looking at leveling and the debris alongside.
Old 17th January 2012, 15:24   #839
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre
turned right from Central and made a left at the Anchorage to end up on the road that runs between Kapila and Connaught place. I parked my car in front of Great Punjab .
It was about 8 pm and as soon as I parked, a kid knocks on my window screaming "Parking, parking ticket!" I don't know what got into me and I rolled down my window and asked him: "Kaan ke niche awaaz nikalu kya?" (You want to be slapped?). Immediately realized that I was in the vicinity of Tadiwala road and held back from slapping the kid add to it that wifey was seated right next to me and was quick to hold me back. As soon as I got off the car, the kid ran across the road into a lane. I don't know how, but immediate instinct made me realize he was a con. I recollect very clearly that the kid had a ticket book in his hand and I was dead sure that this road has free parking.

I returned after enjoying my kabab to see the kid continuing to fleece unaware people. Just thought I'd let fellow bhpians know.
Boy you were lucky, what if the kid made scratches on your car while you were away. I am not suggesting that you should have paid him.
Old 17th January 2012, 16:29   #840
Senior - BHPian

Help needed.

In one of my trips to Hyd, I hit one of those huge pot holes at a very high speed, while the only damage perceived then was a torn out tire, in a recent visit to the SC, I realized that the alloy wheel got bent a little bit. The bend is not visibly apparent, but one can notice it if you jack the vehicle up and rotate the wheel.

So I need help from you guys on getting this repaired (if that is feasible/safe). SC guys referred me to Anand Traders near Nashik Phata, but as the saying goes, the more the merrier, so please help!

Last edited by anilisanil : 17th January 2012 at 16:31.

Most Viewed