Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:04   #916
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Wow , The PTP quiz was serious fun . What I scored :" Should that mean I am SAFE and Street Legal "

Quiz Result
Result : 10 / 10
Percentage : 100.00 %
Passed : Passed
Start Date : 2012-02-03 11:29:50
End Date : 2012-02-03 11:32:18
Spent Time : 2 min 28 sec
Passed Percentage :
4.00 %

Last edited by jealousdiamond : 3rd February 2012 at 17:05.
jealousdiamond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2012, 17:53   #917
Senior - BHPian

No idea which one I got wrong :

Result : 9 / 10
Percentage : 90.00 %
Start Date : 2012-02-03 12:20:19
End Date : 2012-02-03 12:22:07
Spent Time : 1 min 48 sec
Passed Percentage :
4.00 %
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:01   #918
BHPian

Don't know which one I got wrong

Quiz Result
Result : 9 / 10
Percentage : 90.00 %
Start Date : 2012-02-03 12:26:24
End Date : 2012-02-03 12:28:31
Spent Time : 2 min 7 sec
Passed Percentage :4.00 %
Old 3rd February 2012, 18:58   #919
Distinguished - BHPian

JD- please post your responses so that the duffers among us know where we're going wrong!

Request to folks: please don't post your individual scores else this thread will totally get killed.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:09   #920
BHPian

Two incidents yesterday:

1. 10:30 am - I was riding my Honda Dio near my house, the road is almost empty, a brand new Fiesta classic is coming from the opposite direction at normal speed. The idiot is continuously flashing lights.

2. 5:00 pm - I am slowly driving out of a large society in Erandawane, in my Fiesta. The road is wide enough for two cars to pass, there is an A-star coming slowly towards me. Idiot flashes headlights 2-3 times.

In both cases ample daylight was available. I didn't have my lights on, I wasn't blocking anyone, I wasn't driving fast or intimidating anyone. Then why? What's wrong with people? Is it becoming more fashionable to use headlights instead of horn to warn people in generally quieter places?
Old 6th February 2012, 12:13   #921
Senior - BHPian

^^Mandar, sorry, but I dont find anything wrong in that. I would rather flash my lights (for want of way) than to honk unnecessarily at the oncoming traffic.
Old 6th February 2012, 12:57   #922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^^Mandar, sorry, but I dont find anything wrong in that. I would rather flash my lights (for want of way) than to honk unnecessarily at the oncoming traffic.
Swanand - if you read carefully, the point is that there was no need to honk, so why honk or flash lights unnecessarily? And I am saying is it becoming a new habit with Punekars?

I would even say that may be flashing once is ok (but only if required), but continuous flashing? Why? it is very irritating.

(EDIT: I am not discussing would you rather flash than honk? The point is why do it unnecessarily?)

Last edited by MandarMax : 6th February 2012 at 13:08.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:01   #923
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Two incidents yesterday:

1. 10:30 am - I was riding my Honda Dio near my house, the road is almost empty, a brand new Fiesta classic is coming from the opposite direction at normal speed. The idiot is continuously flashing lights.

2. 5:00 pm - I am slowly driving out of a large society in Erandawane, in my Fiesta. The road is wide enough for two cars to pass, there is an A-star coming slowly towards me. Idiot flashes headlights 2-3 times.

In both cases ample daylight was available. I didn't have my lights on, I wasn't blocking anyone, I wasn't driving fast or intimidating anyone. Then why? What's wrong with people? Is it becoming more fashionable to use headlights instead of horn to warn people in generally quieter places?
I think in both cases, the drivers must be new and hence cannot / do not judge the distance their vehicle will require to pass by another vehicle.
Sometimes they honk and flash and warn purely because they can.

Today morning, I was driving on my way to work when I saw this scene near chandani chowk.
An Eeco cab took the wrong side to join the NH4 going towards Katraj, the steep incline which people use to exit the highway. Just as he was about to reach there, a typical "kaka" (uncle) on a bike coming from the correct side, blocked his way, put his bike on side stand and sat staring at the cabbie, refusing to move. The cabbie was in no mood to relent and determined to break the law.
Do not know what happened next because I did not stop, but such cases of utter lawlessness have increased exponentially due to weak policing. When we were in Jr.College, we were hardly ever doing things like triple riding or wrong side driving , because the chances of getting caught were very high and almost certain. But these days dont be surprised to find teenaged yobs triple riding on their punk'd Dio on the wrong side of F.C. road during peak hours because nothing is going to happen to them. There is 1 mama/mami at good luck , but thats it. Same is the case for JM road. A couple of cops at Balgandarvha , but a free for all from there onwards .

Apologies for the long Monday rant.
Old 6th February 2012, 13:37   #924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax
Two incidents yesterday:

I can't understand what you are complaining about. They are flashing, what's wrong. Extra caution.
Old 6th February 2012, 14:02   #925
Senior - BHPian

Friends need one help:

What is the driving time from Dange Chowk to Sanghvi Nagar during peak hours?
Old 6th February 2012, 14:11   #926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latheesh View Post
Friends need one help:

What is the driving time from Dange Chowk to Sanghvi Nagar during peak hours?
Do you mean "Sangvi" or "New Sangvi"? If yes, then my guesses are:

Peak hours: Anywhere between 20-40 mins.

Non-peak hours: 15-20 mins.

Frequent travellers on this route can give you more accurate info.

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 6th February 2012 at 14:13.
comfortablynumb is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 16:11   #927
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I think in both cases, the drivers must be new and hence cannot / do not judge the distance their vehicle will require to pass by another vehicle.
Sometimes they honk and flash and warn purely because they can.
Cannot rule out the possibility of drivers being new, but I still don't think it is a right thing to do when you have a clear road ahead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
I can't understand what you are complaining about. They are flashing, what's wrong. Extra caution.
My argument is about unnecessary use. For people with sensitive eyes, continuous flashing can almost blind you even if it's for a few moments. So I don't agree with the argument of extra caution. (By the same logic then why not justify honking or keeping lights full on in broad daylight?)

Couple of questions:

Q#1: Imagine that you are driving and the car coming from opposite direction starts flashing lights at you continuously for no reason. How would you react? Would you say that the person is observing extra caution?

Q#2: Would you start flashing headlamps unnecessarily in the middle of the day when you see someone driving in the opposite direction?

If your answers are 'No' then I hope I have made my point.
MandarMax is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2012, 20:02   #928
Distinguished - BHPian

Mandar, I get your point- flashing is annoying for sure. But as many here point out, it is preferable to honking and in some cases, as when someone is not fully attentive, it serves as a warning to oncoming motorists. What I am completely against is habitually flashing one's lights as one drives, which I have observed in a lot of vehicles especially on the bypass highway. If someone is blocking the fast lane, it is still understandable, but beyond that it reeks of selfishness and an attitude that "I have to get where I am going and to hell with all the others!"
Old 6th February 2012, 21:49   #929
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
My argument is about unnecessary use.
Completely agree with you. I find flashing headlights during normal situations an expression of purely selfish behavior. It is supposed to convey, "get out of the way, I (in bold and underline) am coming".
Old 6th February 2012, 22:03   #930
Senior - BHPian

Today I was being continuously tailgated by an Alto on the highway, who was flashing non-stop. Even though he could see that both the lanes were fully occupied with nowhere to go , he kept continuously honking and flashing.
At one point I rolled my window down and made a flying motion with my right hand palm, requesting him to take his plane and fly over our heads, but didnt think he got what I was trying to say.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks