Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2012, 22:15   #931
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Today I was being continuously tailgated by an Alto on the highway, who was flashing non-stop. Even though he could see that both the lanes were fully occupied with nowhere to go , he kept continuously honking and flashing.
Was it a BHPian trying to say hi?
Old 6th February 2012, 22:24   #932
Senior - BHPian

^^ I dont think so. It looked like it was being driven by a driver.
(And I will be in a heap of trouble for the above statement if it indeed was a BHpian.. Beige Alto anyone?)
Old 7th February 2012, 11:45   #933
Senior - BHPian

Ojas, even if it was a BHPian trying to say Hi, that wouldnt be the appropriate way to do so. He could have overtook you, making sure you notice the stickers on his car (if he has any).

Anyways, Im pretty sure, that it was one of the many morons that infest our city, trying to nudge you in giving 'his highness' the right of way.

The best thing you did (and should always do) is motion the flying sign. That in turn serves two purposes - Asking him to fly over you, or asking him to take a flying.. well we all know what!
Old 7th February 2012, 12:47   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
What I am completely against is habitually flashing one's lights as one drives, which I have observed in a lot of vehicles especially on the bypass highway. If someone is blocking the fast lane, it is still understandable, but beyond that it reeks of selfishness and an attitude that "I have to get where I am going and to hell with all the others!"
That's exactly my point. Thanks Anoop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Completely agree with you. I find flashing headlights during normal situations an expression of purely selfish behavior. It is supposed to convey, "get out of the way, I (in bold and underline) am coming".
Thanks Dot. What worries me is that I am increasingly seeing this kind of behavior, and appears like this trend is slowly catching up in Pune. Another bad practice! What else can we say?
Old 7th February 2012, 12:58   #935
Senior - BHPian

From last week there has been a Papaya orange Nano being driven by an elderly gent on KP roads, who just loves to honk! Empty road, traffic, doesn't matter, uncle will put his horns to test. First day I saw him at 9.30, going from Mundhwa road to KP, he honked consistently. It was so funny, that what he lacked in BHP he made it up in irritation levels, and even skodas and bigger cars were giving him sides, where he was pushing nano with a hand on horn.

I met him on the signals, and told him his horn sound is very wonderful. But why is he using it when no one's around? He said one should always use horns, because pedestrians are careless! The side view mirrors on both sides were obviously folded in.

I told him it would damage the battery if you honk so much, that seemed to put some sense in him. Atleast not for public, he stopped honking for his own sake! Yesterday I again spotted him struggling with the car with his engine shut down in middle of traffic, mostly due to wrong gear. But at least he was not honking

And the flashing part, oh God! People like to flash a lot now a days. It's like driving in a disco club sometimes! Full on flashing for 3-5 seconds, not just once or twice, but high frequency flashing. Perhaps they expect the oncoming vehicle to completely get off the road and go crash in tree.

Last edited by ani_meher : 7th February 2012 at 13:00.
ani_meher is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th February 2012, 13:12   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
but didnt think he got what I was trying to say.
Don't think these idiots would get a mild gesture like that. But then you can't also give a finger, that might invite massive trouble . So why not give him the toe! (Can't help quoting Seinfeld below. Please ignore if you are not a fan.)

Quote:
So I move into the centre lane, now I get ahead of this women, who felt for some reason I guess, that she thought that I cut her off. So, she pulls up along side of me, gives me... the finger. It seems like such an... arbitrary, ridiculous thing to just pick a finger and you show it to the person. [shows several fingers to the audience] It's a finger, what does it mean? Someone shows me one of their fingers and I'm supposed to feel bad. Is that the way it's supposed to work? I mean, you could just give someone the toe, really, couldn't you? I would feel worse if I got the toe, than if I got the finger. 'Cause it's not easy to give someone the toe, you've gotta get the shoe off, the sock of and drive, get it up and uh [pretends to drive with one foot in the air and speaks to person driving next to him] look at that toe, buddy. [puts his foot down] I mean, that's really insulting to get the toe, isn't it ?
MandarMax is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 10:48   #937
Team-BHP Support

A simple alternative to flashing continuously during day time is to drive with your headlights ON. I have tried this very often and noticed that people are more attentive towards you. It has been proven as well (can't find the link). Daytime running lights are an alternative. Don't the Audi's grab more attention than other imports?

Apart from the pain of having every pappu, raju and babu telling you that your lights are on with a disgusting signal, it helps greatly in gaining attention from other road users and that includes pedestrians as well. Try it.

Let's TURN 'EM ON! - Headlights On 24/7 - Help save lives in Australia!

Last edited by moralfibre : 8th February 2012 at 11:15.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 10:53   #938
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
Apart from the pain of having every pappu, raju and babu telling you that your lights are on with a disgusting signal, it helps greatly in gaining attention from other road users and that includes pedestrians as well. Try it.
This, is the only downer in leaving the lights on. Ever seen one of these telling a lady that the lights are on . Looks hideous with that gesture.

On a serious note, I have seen it in Australia. Many people drive with the lights on even in daytime.

First hand experiance says, you are more attentive to a car with lights on, than the one with lights off.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 10:59   #939
BHPian

I have seen in Canada that people drive cars with lights on during daytime. Its a law there. Even I think people are more attentive when driven with headlights on.
Old 8th February 2012, 11:25   #940
Senior - BHPian

Had an argument with a biker moron on the wrong side near Pantaloons today on my way to work. This guy insisted that he could go up the wrong way just because he had his headlights on. "light toh chaalu kiya hai na"
Another car driver had blocked him and refused to let him proceed. And if anyone knows the area, it is so simple to just go around the building instead of heading up the wrong direction. I am sure that would have been quicker for him instead of getting involved in this argument.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 11:37   #941
Senior - BHPian

Flashing lights during day time is quite natural and correct and a proper road manner.

Say there is a narrow road bottleneck and you are at speed of 40 and just approaching the bottleneck and there is a car coming in front of you at low speed.

All you need to do is flash lights and alert him that you are in correct position to make the pass than him.

This works very well and he slows down till you pass on.

Last edited by noopster : 8th February 2012 at 15:32. Reason: Please take the trouble of punctuating your posts, including capitalising the starting letters of a sentence. Thanks!
Old 8th February 2012, 11:58   #942
Senior - BHPian

Election rallys today

Saw this post on PTP's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5234615&type=1

The MNS rally is scheduled to end at 10 PM!! Better call home and say that you'll reach by breakfast tomorrow.

Cheers,
Vikram
comfortablynumb is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 8th February 2012, 12:24   #943
Senior - BHPian

Re: Election rallys today

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Saw this post on PTP's FB page: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...5234615&type=1

The MNS rally is scheduled to end at 10 PM!! Better call home and say that you'll reach by breakfast tomorrow.

Cheers,
Vikram
To add to the chaos, NCP rally has also started the same time. Ajit Pawar is rallying opposite to MNS.
They will meet at dagdushet chowk. so dont ever think of being in that area.

Last edited by noopster : 8th February 2012 at 15:33.
Old 8th February 2012, 13:18   #944
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
On a serious note, I have seen it in Australia. Many people drive with the lights on even in daytime.

First hand experiance says, you are more attentive to a car with lights on, than the one with lights off.
Quote:
Originally Posted by athanedar View Post
I have seen in Canada that people drive cars with lights on during daytime. Its a law there. Even I think people are more attentive when driven with headlights on.
Having lived and worked in both the countries (in Melbourne, Australia and Vancouver, Canada) for a considerable time, my observation is that only a few people use daytime lights in these places. In Australia you are permitted to use lights during the day depending on visibility conditions, but it's not mandatory. In Canada DRLs are mandatory since last 20 years, but at least in British Columbia their use is not strictly enforced. (I think the provincial regulations don't mandate the use of DRLs). While some people support DRLs there are also those who are strictly against them. I came across this interesting link - DADRL - The Story of Daytime Running Lights (Please read the section: The Case Against DRLs)

Personally I am against using FULL headlights during daytime in our country, but I support use of low intensity lights / LEDs similar to those used on Audis, Mercs etc. because I think they do definitely help in increasing visibility on our roads.

Last edited by MandarMax : 8th February 2012 at 13:24.
Old 8th February 2012, 14:20   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post

Cheers,
Vikram
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
to add to the chaos, NCP rally has also started the same time. Ajit Pawar is rallying opposite to MNS.
they will meet at dagdushet chowk. so dont ever think of being in that area.
Guys cannot access FB in office. In which area are these rallies planned?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks