Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 15th February 2012, 11:29   #976
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Another accident on the bypass!

A truck turned turtle, near Balewadi main gate. Probably, he couldnt judge the ditch, that has been dug for road widening and landed in it sideways. Damage to the truck is apparent, but no clue if anybody was hurt.

Guys, with this road widening in place, there's a ditch being dug throughout, with no safety boundry at many places. Better to be in the right lanes, while on the bypass, especially at night.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 12:33   #977
Senior - BHPian

I'm getting a feeling that I have become the accident spotter in Pune!

Last evening, I had to go into town, hence took the Aundh route. At the junction where the road turns into Aundh, and the one that goes straight to University road, a Honda City overtook me at insane speeds.

Here I was thinking, this guy would probably crash, and even before the thought was over, he lost control, jumped the divider and landed straight on an oncoming car (Fiesta or Indigo. Cant remember). His front right tyre was peacefully sitting on the hood of the car!

What followed was a lot of arguments and traffic jam till the cop arrived at the scene. The last I saw, the queue had extended till Bremen Chowk (for traffic headed towards Wakad).

What is happening? No, not with idiots driving, but me spotting accidents all over town!
Old 16th February 2012, 12:47   #978
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
he lost control, jumped the divider and landed straight on an oncoming car (Fiesta or Indigo. Cant remember). His front right tyre was peacefully sitting on the hood of the car!

What followed was a lot of arguments ....
What was there to "argue" ? The idiotic City driver was clearly at fault, he should have been arrested by the cops for attempted murder!!

On Monday I saw yet another chain or rear endings near the Sus exit of the NH4, just before Oxford Nissan. Indigo+Etios+Alto+Fiesta (I think..).
Old 16th February 2012, 12:59   #979
Distinguished - BHPian

@Swanand, thanks...remind me not to ride with you anymore

I had a similar experience the other day on Sus Road...this biker guy with no helmet zipped from behind me on my left, cut across another car, squeezed between two more...and went and promptly skidded and landed on his back just as I was telling my co-passengers, "That guy is going to crash..."

It was a little funny actually... the guy gets to his feet and looks around angrily and then realises there is nobody to blame: there was nobody in his way, he just skidded and fell by himself! Quietly slunk off as everyone glared at him. The wife remarked caustically that he had no helmet on because there is nothing in that head worth protecting, probably
noopster is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 13:14   #980
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@Swanand, thanks...remind me not to ride with you anymore
Quote:

What is happening? No, not with idiots driving, but me spotting accidents all over town!
Must be safest riding with Swanand in the same car. Not around him perhaps!
Today in the morning on my way to work, I spotted a biker at the Law college signal (Film Archives) who revved too hard, did a wheelie and ended up on his bum on the road. Not sure what he was upto.

Earlier this week a mini pileup outside Law college when drivers of 4 vehicles were all looking at a group of girls instead of the road. Two of those girls had decided it was too warm and were removing their sweaters. So a Santro guy (going towards Karve road) failed to notice an oncoming biker turning right and braked late. One rick and two other bikers rammed slightly into the Santro. Interesting incident as I saw it happen right in front of me and everyone involved looked at each other as if saying 'et tu'.
Edit: Just clarifying that the interesting incident comment is meant for the vehicle rear endings as all drivers involved were looking at the girls. I did not intend to refer to the sweater removal as interesting!

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th February 2012 at 13:16.
Old 16th February 2012, 14:14   #981
Senior - BHPian

^^Why not Bala? That incident is interesting too .

But yeah, have seen "accidents" happen on those grounds quite a few times. Heck, was involved in one of those, back in college days, meself!
Old 16th February 2012, 14:23   #982
Senior - BHPian

The wife knows the handle. And now you are addressing me by my name and expecting me to agree. Ha! With friends like you SI..

By the way, heard from 2 different people yesterday (who heard from the local corporator) that a flyover is being planned all the way from Chandni chowk to Kinara hotel chowk on Paud road. Not sure of the accuracy, but thought I should check if someone here knows of this proposal.
Maybe it is to cover up for all campaigning costs?

Edit: Amit, I asked the same question, apparently 3 exits/ entries on that stretch. Time frame: 2 years. Not sure if that is for coconut breaking or ribbon cutting.
^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 16th February 2012 at 14:45.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 14:37   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
By the way, heard from 2 different people yesterday (who heard from the local corporator) that a flyover is being planned all the way from Chandni chowk to Kinara hotel chowk on Paud road. Not sure of the accuracy, but thought I should check if someone here knows of this proposal.
Maybe it is to cover up for all campaigning costs?
Looks like one of those election promises.

But i think the road is wide enough for a flyover. But study needs to be done on how many vehicles go from Chandni Chowk to Kinara hotel.

So would it also have multiple exits/entries on it as the current Paud Road for the multiple arterial roads.
Old 16th February 2012, 15:32   #984
Team-BHP Support

There have been interesting changes in traffic diversions on the 2-wheeler underpass at Wakdewadi.

- Traffic from ShivajiNagar station / Sakhar Sankul towards Wakdewadi cannot use the underpass to go to Shoppers stop. It has been blocked by barricades.
- You have to make a compulsory left turn and come out at the Hero Honda showroom on the road towards Pimpri.
- Due to this arrangement you cannot make a u-turn in the underpass. Good!
- But what's the use of the branch that comes out towards Shoppers Stop? You may close it for good then
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2012, 15:46   #985
Senior - BHPian

Today morning, there was this sparkling brand new Passat which came from behind me near Kothrud Depot junction at break-neck speed. There was considerable traffic on the road which would have prevented any vehicle to surge ahead easily. However, the Passat owner had no intention of stopping or caring for the traffic. He was continuously swaying left and right, squeezing that giant sedan in narrow gaps like an Indicab, constantly honking. Later, he was stuck for a while on the slope just before CC and that frustrated him even more. The moment the path got cleared, he moved ahead as if it was a drag race. Such a nice car, and such a pathetic way to drive it. This was a case of 'show of strength', but not politically.
Old 17th February 2012, 11:03   #986
Senior - BHPian

Looks like counting was on in full swing this morning at Yashwantrao Chavan Natyagruh in Kothrud. That section of road was closed by barricades for general traffic movement. Please be mindful of other centres and surroundings which are likely to be taken over by celebrations later in the day.

Anyone coming to SB road be aware that the Marriott is hosting some conference today so that road and all lanes turning towards it were blocked by cars wanting to park. Only problem being there is no parking and there are all sorts of dimwits there taking all kinds of fancy turns and waiting on the roadside. The cops have arrived and are regulating the traffic, which will hopefully be cleared soon. Parking in the Pantaloons basement was full at 930 in the morning, so anyone headed there please dont hope for any parking places and plan accordingly.

Phew, thankfully I am on my bike today

Yes Swanand, but it was full to the brim (all spots) and people were waiting in queue at 930. One of my colleagues was waiting there but managed to squeeze into the smallest slot in B2.
Oh and one enterprising fellow managed to park his DZire on the pavement just outside the Marriott entry gate. Last seen arguing with the security at that entry gate,
^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 17th February 2012 at 11:12.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2012, 11:07   #987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Looks like counting was on in full swing this morning at Yashwantrao Chavan Natyagruh in Kothrud. That section of road was closed by barricades for general traffic movement.
Even in the evening, expect a lot of traffic there, with celebrations in full swing for whichever party that takes lead.

Quote:
Parking in the Pantaloons basement was full at 930 in the morning, so anyone headed there please dont hope for any parking places and plan accordingly.

Phew, thankfully I am on my bike today
Actually, apart from the companies that work in ICC Tech (Pantaloons waala building), others have open parking slots in the basement.

The thing is, these two companies have a reserved number of slots for their parking. Once that is full, they start charging for parking (where you occupy the general quota of parking spots).
Old 20th February 2012, 11:57   #988
BHPian

Today morning at 8:30am while going to office I saw one accident. On the road going towards Sarasbaug, after Nilayam, theres one small chowk. Saw a PMT and crowd had gathered. After nearing I saw a Scooty Pep which was fallen and was under PMT, just centimeteres away from wheels, but entire scooty was stuck under PMT bus. Hope this wasnt a fatal accident.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:06   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
A bit late, but did you notice the accident on Friday late morning (11 a.m. onwards) - right in front of DLF - an Indica had decided to use the U-turn at the last moment, cutting a tempo traveller from the left lane. As a result the TT banged into the right rear door, but the damage was not that much as he had braked hard. But the result of this was another Tata car behind the TT banged into the rear - apparently the bumper had come off.

Was late to office so didn't really stop to find out what happened next.

Weird no one put it up on the thread - everybody had reached office before that?

Quote:
The wife knows the handle. And now you are addressing me by my name and expecting me to agree. Ha! With friends like you SI..

Last edited by ninjatalli : 20th February 2012 at 14:08.
Old 20th February 2012, 14:25   #990
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
A bit late, but did you notice the accident....
Weird no one put it up on the thread - everybody had reached office before that?
Asking me if I noticed the accident? Aint that a given .
Check the HJW thread. Posted about that accident on that thread, since it happened in HJW.

Now that we are on the topic of accidents, did anyone read about the accident that occured in between Sangamwadi and Vishrantwadi? Its in todays paper.

Apparently, 3 guys, 19 years of age were in a Santro and lost control and hit a pole sideways. The car seems to have taken the full impact on the right side. Luckily, all 3 were relatively ok. No one was seriously injured.

Most Viewed