Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2012, 17:43   #991
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Apparently, 3 guys, 19 years of age were in a Santro and lost control and hit a pole sideways. The car seems to have taken the full impact on the right side. Luckily, all 3 were relatively ok. No one was seriously injured.
Saw the pic, and the first thing that came to my mind is, how the hell did they crash in that position!!! They were lucky that there were no major injuries, but the car seems to be total wreck.
Old 20th February 2012, 17:53   #992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Apparently, 3 guys, 19 years of age were in a Santro and lost control and hit a pole sideways. The car seems to have taken the full impact on the right side. Luckily, all 3 were relatively ok. No one was seriously injured.
Yeah its not a santro, it was a ZEN. Looking at the car one can easily make out that the guy was death proof. By gods grace nothing happened to those guys. the Car was shattered and twisted at almost a right angle.
Old 21st February 2012, 18:02   #993
BHPian

I wonder did anyone traveled on University to Chandani Chowk stretch.

It seems who ever is in-charge, is all set to make a speed breaker(with random shape, size and height) at each point where a lane/exit from some building/society is joining the main road.
It all started with speed breakers on the Chandani chowk - Ram Nagar society section. The big ones.

Then someone would have thought of, lets experiment with different ones, so from Ram nagar till Pashan circle, small metal ones were put in single or twin bump mode. (Now the metal ones are covered (at random) with tar.

Now, wanting to spread the experimentation, a few speed breakers are build between Pashan circle and DRDO building.

Anyone aware of when are they planning to extend it to the rest of city? Or, who are the people who decides on putting these random speed breakers?
Old 21st February 2012, 22:50   #994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav75
nav75 use this stretch regularly.The stretch between Ramnagar to DRDO is controlled by Defence folks . Probably someone there first came up with putting metallic spead breakers. When these were broken they put the double humped tar ones and this weekend they converted those to full tar ones and put new ones near ARDE bldg

These speed breakers create a bottleneck at some of the places on this stretch. Regarding the utility the less said the better
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:04   #995
Senior - BHPian

Another Road Rampage happened on MG road yesterday. A drunk cab driver drove on wrong side on MG road knocking down 7 vehicles. He stopped after hitting a car. He was trying to reverser and run away, but people took him out of the car and thrashed him.

This is almost similar to Santosh Mane's case, the only better thing in this is that there was no heavy vehicle involved.

On day to day basis it has become very very difficult to drive on pune basis. Cabbies , local goons play havvoc on road. Daily i see vehicles brushed , people fighting , thrashing each other.

The main problem in the whole scenario i feel is lack of fear of police. The fines in India which ranges from 100-300rs is peanuts nowdays for traffic offenders. On top of that the image of police is very down and everyone takes them for granted. This has happened as they are no more strict and let the offenders easily go by by accepting small bribes like 50-100rs.

Police too are under burden due to local political goons. Due to all this the overall situation in Pune has become worst.
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:20   #996
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav75 View Post

Anyone aware of when are they planning to extend it to the rest of city? Or, who are the people who decides on putting these random speed breakers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
nav75 use this stretch regularly....
These speed breakers create a bottleneck at some of the places on this stretch. Regarding the utility the less said the better
Guess what? I compiled a long post about this yesterday and when I tried to post it, the database error came up on team-bhp.

At last count, excluding the so called pedestrian crossings that double up as speed breakers too, the total count of speed breakers between DSK and ARDE is seven. All of them came to life as a single plastic speed breaker by "Protek" and went on to become a double strip which inturn was filled with tar in between the double strip to make it a united speed breaker. The newest ones have come up before and after the ARDE gate. It is pathetic to drive on what was one of the best roads to drive on. What it needs is a divider and not a speed breaker. I agree traffic has increased 100 times on this stretch where Nav and our small group of enthusiasts used to enjoy riding back in the day.

Have you guys tried to drive to the highway from DSK? That 1 km stretch of road has about 8-9 speed breakers. Beat that!

Another interesting note: We had some senior management teams visit Pune. I happened to have a casual chat with the CTO and he asked me a serious question: "Why do the local authorities here, paint those stripes on the road? In the US, road users drive between those two lines whereas here they play Pac Man and Snake on them." I just burst out laughing. Similarly he was curious to know why his driver would honk as soon as he got in the car without even moving as if it were a ritual.

Last edited by moralfibre : 22nd February 2012 at 11:24.
moralfibre is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 11:21   #997

Hi nav75 & mm403,

Last Saturday, there was an accident between a traveltime vehicle (Wagon R) and a Force Motors Traveller van just after ARDE towards University Circle where the road curves. In my personal opinion, the speed breaker before ARDE is long overdue as no one follows the speed limit sign (40 Kmph). I do agree that the army of speed breakers between Pashan Circle and Bavdhan is pretty frustrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nav75 View Post

It seems who ever is in-charge, is all set to make a speed breaker(with random shape, size and height) at each point where a lane/exit from some building/society is joining the main road.
It all started with speed breakers on the Chandani chowk - Ram Nagar society section. The big ones.

Then someone would have thought of, lets experiment with different ones, so from Ram nagar till Pashan circle, small metal ones were put in single or twin bump mode. (Now the metal ones are covered (at random) with tar.

Now, wanting to spread the experimentation, a few speed breakers are build between Pashan circle and DRDO building.

Old 22nd February 2012, 12:10   #998
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
At last count, excluding the so called pedestrian crossings that double up as speed breakers too, the total count of speed breakers between DSK and ARDE is seven. All of them came to life as a single plastic speed breaker by "Protek" and went on to become a double strip which inturn was filled with tar in between the double strip to make it a united speed breaker.
How legal is it for the armed forces to use public roads for their own well being? Agreed, to handle the speeds that are (or rather, were) done on that stretch, a breaker was necessary. But then, isnt there a mandate for the size and height of the speed breaker?

Quote:
Have you guys tried to drive to the highway from DSK? That 1 km stretch of road has about 8-9 speed breakers. Beat that!
That must be the power of the societies in that area. If a local corporator lives nearby, then its his birth right to do as his highness pleases!

Quote:
"Why do the local authorities here, paint those stripes on the road? In the US, road users drive between those two lines whereas here they play Pac Man and Snake on them." I just burst out laughing. Similarly he was curious to know why his driver would honk as soon as he got in the car without even moving as if it were a ritual.
Old 22nd February 2012, 16:54   #999
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Another Road Rampage happened on MG road yesterday. A drunk cab driver drove on wrong side on MG road knocking down 7 vehicles.
I had the rotten luck to be at the receiving end of a similar incident, about a year back. An i20 had ploughed against the one way traffic on East Street and knocked down several two wheelers and autos. The car's ORVM had hit my hand as we were walking on the side, and were unaware that a vehicle was approaching from the wrong side. I had tried to stop the car by slamming and shouting but without any avail. Finally a few police men, who were running behind the rampant vehicle managed to reach and stop the car near Mayur Thali.

The i20 was full of young males and females.

What I feel had happened was that these guys had decided to take a short cut by going against the one way. In the process they had knocked off one two wheeler and panicked. Then they tried to scoot and hit more number of vehicles as a result.

Last edited by dot : 22nd February 2012 at 16:55.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:34   #1000
Senior - BHPian

Guys

Just be aware or beware of a silver Indigo numbered MH-13 AC 1353, if you are traveling on the CC-Bavdhan-Pashan route. I have seen this dreadful Indigo 3 times in the last one month. The driver drives the car as if the car has alcohol filled in it instead of diesel. Twice he came very very close to my car and almost scratched, but I somehow managed to sway to left. He has scratched/touched few cars, 2 wheelers already. BTW, there is this doctor's symbol on the rear windshield. Ha...doctor collecting patients..eh?
ajay_satpute is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 17:40   #1001
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Guys

Just be aware or beware of a silver Indigo numbered MH-13 AC 1353, if you are traveling on the CC-Bavdhan-Pashan route. I have seen this dreadful Indigo 3 times in the last one month. The driver drives the car as if the car has alcohol filled in it instead of diesel. Twice he came very very close to my car and almost scratched, but I somehow managed to sway to left. He has scratched/touched few cars, 2 wheelers already. BTW, there is this doctor's symbol on the rear windshield. Ha...doctor collecting patients..eh?
Damn! I too saw his monkey deeds. He drives it as if he stole it from someone. He almost rammed into an oncoming swift trying to over take me on the speed breaker!!!
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:21   #1002
BHPian

Yes. The entire section of road from University till Chandani chowk needs divider.

Putting speed breaker, that too of random shape and size, is just going to create more problems than solving. Specially on the climb up from Pashan circle towards Pashan lake, those speed breakers doesn't nothing but creates multiple bottlenecks.

@MF: That section of road from DSK to highway is just stupidity. In case you haven't seen it, they have removed one speed breaker that was half made. The height of it was so much that people used to avoid it by going into opposite lane. It hit the underside of my ZMA and Fiero.

Why can't people think of putting those rumble strip instead. Something similar to what we have at the exit of e-way (Pune side) or what we have near that road construction work going on, close to DRDO.

@MF: Oh yes, years back it used to be such an awesome section of road to ride on.
nav75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2012, 19:39   #1003
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Guys

Is there any particular area where he is spotted. Next time you see him make sure u call the police helpline on 100 and chase and stop him.

If i see him will do the same.
Old 23rd February 2012, 11:18   #1004
Senior - BHPian

Tralier broken down on the bypass, just before Sus Rd overbridge, on the north bound lane.
Caused a massive jam in the morning. By now, should be clear.

Due to the road widening in process, a kaccha lane has been created on the left of the lane. All SUV's got onto the kaccha lane and drove merrily till they could join the road again.

My need for an SUV has grown two fold now.
Old 23rd February 2012, 12:31   #1005
BHPian

Quote:
All SUV's got onto the kaccha lane and drove merrily till they could join the road again.

My need for an SUV has grown two fold now.
Ditto. Looking at ease with which these SUVs drove on that road, I started doing mental calculation about amount I have to save per month to buy a Yeti. Well, I calculated the target amount before the end of traffic jam and you are not going to see a Yeti on Hinjewadi road in next few years.

Most Viewed