Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2012, 11:30   #1066
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Rode to work at a leisurely 25 to 30 kmph just to time the effort and note the difference than riding at 40-50 in spurts and generally stressing myself out. No revving or braking today, and it all resulted in an extra 4 minutes of time over my 8km commute.
I consider it time well spent as against the stress I accumulate clashing with morons everyday. Intend to walk quicker on the stairs to compensate for this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Wheels in my brain started turning with protest, "This cant be, looks like Swargate but where is the traffic????"
Must be the Rangpanchami effect I guess? Traffic on Law college road was relatively smooth too yesterday. Today people are back to usual antics.

Near Ratna hospital on SB road, I spotted an auto dangling from the pavement. Rear left wheel on the pavement, rear right wheel trying to reach the street and front wheel at the pavement edge. The underbody was scraping the pavement turning the auto into a weird seesaw.
The hero was asked by another auto (on the street) while we were waiting for the signal to turn green: "Chadhavtaana ka"? (While climbing?)
The hero is speaking on his mobile and answering "Naahi, utravtaana" (no, while getting off)
Perhaps he was trying to avoid traffic and climbed the pavement! Idiot.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th March 2012, 13:33   #1067
Senior - BHPian

^^LOL, that wouldve been a hilarious sight for sure!
You know what, nowadays, instead of getting mad at people like this, I've started thanking them. The amount of entertainment such people provide, is invaluable .
Old 13th March 2012, 16:21   #1068
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Cool. So my guess was right, because I had not seen the board.

Does anyone know what's coming near Mhatre bridge? Looks like mall + offices.
This one is the commercial complex from Suma Shilp, the builder of Adjoining Himali Society. This mall has a firm commitment from PVR for a multiplex, plus unconfirmed ones from Reliance/Westside. There were some issues with this project mainly due to objections from the adjoining residential societies, but guess now its all settled . They are currently building a 7+ floor car parking tower adjoining this structure.
Old 13th March 2012, 19:25   #1069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diablo29 View Post
This mall has a firm commitment from PVR for a multiplex, plus unconfirmed ones from Reliance/Westside. There were some issues with this project mainly due to objections from the adjoining residential societies, but guess now its all settled . They are currently building a 7+ floor car parking tower adjoining this structure.
Even I heard about Reliance opening their retail store there. I think there are not only shops but also offices. A friend told me that Tata Technologies has already started their office/development center in the same building.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:32   #1070
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
^^LOL, that wouldve been a hilarious sight for sure!
You know what, nowadays, instead of getting mad at people like this, I've started thanking them. The amount of entertainment such people provide, is invaluable
You bet!
This morning on my way in spotted a lady on an Activa waiting at roughly the same spot. She had the right indicator on and was waiting at the extreme left near the pavment. Now there is no break in the divider on that section of SB road so a U turn is ruled out. Traffic was moving slow. So I thought she wanted to pick up something that fell from her scooter or perhaps had some problem with the scooter itself.
So I stopped and asked her if she wanted to pass.
Her answer: No no, I am waiting for a friend.
Me: so why the right indicator
Her: that is to indicate that people can overtake me from the right.

Gave her a quick thumbs up and told her:
I hope you are not driving in front of me on a highway!

Seems like an incident a day for me, especially on that ironically named Law College and Senapati Bapat roads. Nothing related to Law or a Senapati in the behaviour of these morons. I was initially thinking I should stop noticing or interacting, but why let go of free entertainment?!

Last edited by selfdrive : 14th March 2012 at 10:35.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:17   #1071
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
You bet!
This morning on my way in spotted a lady on an Activa waiting at roughly the same spot. She had the right indicator on and was waiting at the extreme left near the pavment. Now there is no break in the divider on that section of SB road so a U turn is ruled out. Traffic was moving slow. So I thought she wanted to pick up something that fell from her scooter or perhaps had some problem with the scooter itself.
So I stopped and asked her if she wanted to pass.
Her answer: No no, I am waiting for a friend.
Me: so why the right indicator
Her: that is to indicate that people can overtake me from the right.

Gave her a quick thumbs up and told her:
I hope you are not driving in front of me on a highway!

Seems like an incident a day for me, especially on that ironically named Law College and Senapati Bapat roads. Nothing related to Law or a Senapati in the behaviour of these morons. I was initially thinking I should stop noticing or interacting, but why let go of free entertainment?!

This is a pretty often scenario on highways, isn't it? People drive on the white lines stripes on the middle of the road and flash right indicator. Now I always wonder why the indicator? To allow me to pass or they want to get into the right most lane!!
This is as confusing as people who use parking lights in tunnel, don;t know what they want to convey? I mean the tail lamps are enough indication for vehicles coming from behind, with parking lights on, they even change lanes, sin't that crazy?
Old 14th March 2012, 12:22   #1072
BHPian

^^^ Why can't two wheeler manufacturers provide a hazard switch on vehicles? So easy to indicate that one is waiting or parking without any ambiguity.
Old 14th March 2012, 12:26   #1073
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post

This is as confusing as people who use parking lights in tunnel, don;t know what they want to convey? I mean the tail lamps are enough indication for vehicles coming from behind, with parking lights on, they even change lanes, sin't that crazy?
Hmmmm... Just to clarify when you mean parking lights you mean both the indicators flashing at the same time right?

Those are Hazard lights and are meant to indicate that your vehicle is a hazard, please check the symbol on the switch to confirm this along with your owners manual.

I hope now you understand the reason for switching that on in a tunnel with high speed vehicles in all the lanes. dark tunnel+high speed vehicles=hazardous? rings a bell?

And just for another piece of info, its a bad practice to change lanes in a tunnel, so that rules out showing your indicators. Stick to your lane till you finish the tunnel.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:33   #1074
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Hmmmm... Just to clarify when you mean parking lights you mean both the indicators flashing at the same time right?

Those are Hazard lights and are meant to indicate that your vehicle is a hazard, please check the symbol on the switch to confirm this along with your owners manual.

I hope now you understand the reason for switching that on in a tunnel with high speed vehicles in all the lanes. dark tunnel+high speed vehicles=hazardous? rings a bell?
Nope. This is hypothetical, it could be your view. The parking lights (Yes, both the indicators flashing at the same time) does indeed means hazard but why would you call a moving vehicle a hazard (You are not supposed to drive in that hazardous fashion anyway ).

Quote:
And just for another piece of info, its a bad practice to change lanes in a tunnel, so that rules out showing your indicators. Stick to your lane till you finish the tunnel.
Sometimes, you would need to change lanes in tunnels, and as you said the indicators will not then indicate anything if your parking lights are on, hence a bad practice.
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 13:42   #1075
BHPian

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post deleted. Personal attacks on fellow BHPians are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. All members are part of the Team-BHP family and any discriminating or derogatory comment is uncalled for.

Last edited by noopster : 14th March 2012 at 19:51.
kevinephraim is offline   Received Infraction
Old 14th March 2012, 15:08   #1076
Senior - BHPian

Guys there is no use of debate. Theory is quite different but practically in india things are totally different. If you try to follow European/ American ways in india i bet you will be in a soup, singing a soup song.

If one wants to deliberately stick to those ways better drive on right hand side as they do

When in Rome do as the Romans do.

When in india do as the Indians do.
Old 14th March 2012, 19:57   #1077
Distinguished - BHPian

Switching on hazard lights in tunnels/rain/fog is a new practice that has emerged from "safe" drivers over the past few years. I find the practice misguided and really annoying, potentially dangerous as well. In low visibility conditions you need a minimum of distraction and flashing amber lights don't provide that!

In any case, this has discussed in depth on the Bad Drivers thread, so let's move on.
noopster is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 20:37   #1078
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I hope you realise that driving at night is also "high speed vehicles in all lanes. dark +high speed vehicles=hazardous?" too... but we don't see people driving around with their hazard lights flashing do we. Thats what headlights and tail-lights are for. A tunnel shouldn't be any different. (There's also fog-lights and rear fog-lights as the next line of defense).

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th March 2012, 23:15   #1079
BHPian

A bad experience day before yesterday.
I was going down Ghole road towards Balgandharva square at around 8pm on my Pulsar. I had just started and was in 3rd gear.
I came close to the 1st small square, close to FC rd so I let the throttle go.
I looked around and saw no one crossing the road.
So I shifted down to 2nd and got back on the throttle.
I have crossed 1/2 of the square.
Suddenly in the lights of oncoming cars I see a silhouette of a fat moron on a bike who came from the opposite direction, with a mobile between his shoulder and his ear.
This person turns towards his right and stops right in front of me.
The distance is so less that it is impossible to stop.
I slam both the discs, while I steer to the left, and my bike is about to slip.
So I ease on the front brake and get the grip on the road back.
I lose most of my speed but cant avoid hitting the guy.
Since I hit him at an angle I lose my balance and fall on the left.

Now this moron puts away the mobile and is waiting on his bike.
He is on the wrong side of the road he was coming from and on the wrong side of the road he was going to (turned too early).
No indicator.
And thats not the end of it.

I pick up my bike and park it on the side and approach this guy.
This is a rowdy fat person, just celebrated holi, stinking alchohol, staring at me. I question him which angers him. He gets off the bike and is furious because his little finger is injured. He accuses me of riding fast. He tries to slap me repeatedly, but this time i manage to dodge him. After some arguement he wants me to come to the police chowki. I agree.
Then he demands that he rides my bike. I disagree.
Finally we are riding towards the police chowki with me following him and he continuously checking if I am there.
He has already called someone.
I am bruised and I thought its not worth spending time and energy after this person. After all the cops would advice us to settle it. This moron also seemed to have some contact.
So I turned into some by-lane and went back home hoping to never meet such people again.
Probably that was a wrong thing I did but I was not at all willing to go through all that stuff.

Assessed the damage after coming home. Bruised right leg, Sprained muscles on right wrist and shoulder, a paining left elbow and slightly scratched tail panel of my bike. The crash guard took the fall and protected my leg.
Old 16th March 2012, 10:30   #1080
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejas Ingle View Post
A bad experience day before yesterday.
Sad to know about the incident Tejas. Hope you recover soon. At times I feel we should turn into vigilante and teach these #*&$^*#$^ big lessons. At times blood boils so much that I feel it will be better if I let it go through the roof
rahul_sinha is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed