Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 16:07   #1156
dot
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Anyone knows about the bridge like construction going on in the river just next to the new Bund Garden (yerawada) bridge?

Not sure if they are planning another bridge there!
As reported on newspapers, they are building a barrage on the river.
dot is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 16:34   #1157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
As reported on newspapers, they are building a barrage on the river.
Ohh! So they broke the existing "bund", built a new bridge and now again building a barrage! Great!! I saw some vertical slots in that construction and thought of the same, but then since they already broke the bund, the idea did not make much sense to me. Maybe the boat club had some influence
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2012, 16:53   #1158
Senior - BHPian

The construction of the Sancheti underway seems to be speeding up. I can see wall tiles being fitted and the bamboos supporting the bridge is being removed slowly. Guess it will be functional soon.
Old 20th April 2012, 17:20   #1159
BHPian

Be prepared of the major calamity on the way..

If they approve elevated Metro Corridor, the traffic on the entire stretch between Vanaz on Paud road and Ramwadi on Nagar road will get paralyzed.

The Metro route is - Paud road - Paud phata - Nalstop -Karve road - Deccan - J M Road - turn at sancheti junction - Kamgar Putla - sangam bridge - Dr. Ambedkar road upto Maldhakka - Turn left towards station - Sanjay Gandhi road - cross station to Jahangir Hospital chowk - Bund garden road - cross river near Bund Garden - Nagar road till Ramwadi - turn left to new Airport road - Airport.

Once the construction begins central 9-10 meters width all along this stretch will be blocked for next 5-6 years. What a nightmare!

Had they accepted Underground, all this could have been avoided. The Sancheti underpass will soon be blocked again when they will need to erect pillars for Metro right in the center of it.
Old 20th April 2012, 18:39   #1160
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post

Once the construction begins central 9-10 meters width all along this stretch will be blocked for next 5-6 years. What a nightmare!
That is a pretty optimistic number, hope it is true.

Going by how the new airport location choosing dilemma is going on, this 5-6 years number might just stretch a bit to double digits.
Old 20th April 2012, 19:21   #1161
BHPian

Need some suggestions guys - how do you people control yourself from anger when some one just things he is the king of the road and can cut loose the way he likes. Of lately I am driving to HJW during rush hours and man I just get boiled , my car already has seen few scraches specially from the bikers - who think that for any space available between cars a biker should stand or try to make way out - which is just very frustrating.
Old 20th April 2012, 19:33   #1162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Need some suggestions guys - how do you people control yourself from anger when some one just things he is the king of the road and can cut loose the way he likes. Of lately I am driving to HJW during rush hours and man I just get boiled , my car already has seen few scraches specially from the bikers - who think that for any space available between cars a biker should stand or try to make way out - which is just very frustrating.
Usually, I stick to the extreme left or extreme right and drive very close to the dividers. Even more usually though, if I someone approaching, I just let them go. Keep falling further and further behind , but hey, saves a lot of heartache.
Me too got a bunch of scratches (some made by miscreants when parked) , that I need to get removed. What do you plan to do about yours ?
Old 20th April 2012, 23:48   #1163
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
Check this thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...s-example.html

Have posted a few guidelines that I follow on post #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by antz.bin View Post
My father is the one who constantly keeps cribbing about bad traffic sense, autorickshaws, ill placed community dustbins, traffic et all. Whenever he starts getting angry(he is a bit short tempered), I just remind him of the Navjot Singh Siddhu incident and he cools off.

I myself follow a couple of rules to keep the rage in check.
1. Watching mirrors for potentially faster cars (Especially the German ones with those LED DRLs and angel eyes ) which won't want to stick around behind me.
2. Always listening to CDs, FM has too many advertisements which have potential to piss off anyone. We must never forget that it is the small things that add up to big incidents.
3. Give way whenever possible. The guy behind might be in a genuine hurry (eg. reaching his father's wedding ).
4. Joke about the idiots on the road.
5. Generally keep playing the hypermiling game whenever I drive in city. I mean, if I am preoccupied with keeping the FE high, there are no violent accelerations / braking / direction changes which might piss somebody else off. Also, since I am not trying to reach anywhere too fast, the stress level is less.
6. Always follow a defensive driving regime inside the city. If there is need for speed, take the bike.
7. Using the bike not the car when there is a hurry. Since I have fun on the bike even in traffic, and generally don't get caught up in traffic at all, the bike ride is infinitely more relaxing. Also, since my bike itself is reasonably fast, its more than a handful whenever I need my dose of adrenaline in or out of city limits.
I don't drive a lot in BAD BAD traffic, but I am yet to get a single scratch on any of the 3 cars when I have been driving (Touch Wood ).
antz.bin is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st April 2012, 01:35   #1164
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support: Post deleted. Please do NOT discuss moderator actions on the forum. We suggest you read the posting rules very carefully before proceeding.

Please use the "Contact Us" form at the bottom of the page for any further clarifications from Support Team.

Last edited by noopster : 21st April 2012 at 10:47.
Old 21st April 2012, 13:59   #1165
BHPian

Is the metro corridor finalised? I was under the impression that it is still very much under debate, even regarding whether it should be an elevated one or not.
Also, getting the Sancheti signal jammed once again is going to be a massive pain.
Old 22nd April 2012, 14:12   #1166
BHPian

Guys - since we are talking about the Pune Metro, let me present this result of my daydreaming about how the Pune metro of future might look like.

Before I begin, let me clarify the following questions that might come to your mind
  • Have you been smoking anything illegal? - NO
  • Are you an expert in this subject? - NO
  • Do you think this is actually going to happen? Probably in next 10-20 years? - NO
  • Don't you have anything better to do this afternoon - NO
  • Don't you think this is bit off topic for this thread? - Probably YES.
Now, with the questions out of the way, I would proudly like to present this map:

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-punemap2.png

I am imagining total 7 lines. Six connecting different ends of the city, and one city circle line, similar to what they have in London. Note that most of the stations have been randomly placed. Also I know that I have probably not been fair to the eastern and south eastern suburbs as compared to the western and northern ones.

As per my knowledge part of the light blue line above is already being planned for first phase of the metro. I think it's going to be from Ramwadi to Vanaz. (By the way I have not taken into account the exact same route or stations as mentioned here.)

Even though this plan is a figment of my imagination, I strongly believe that something of this scale must be planned TODAY considering the growth the city is experiencing and the current state of public transport facilities and the roads. I am very much aware that financially this is going to be very very expensive, and probably won't be feasible even if it's done over a span of couple of decades. But I don't think it is impossible.

Let me know your thoughts.
MandarMax is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2012, 19:50   #1167
BHPian

Really nice idea!!!!

Have you thought about being a town planner?

Have you thought about taking this to the Pune town planning authorities?
Old 22nd April 2012, 20:06   #1168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinephraim View Post
Really nice idea!!!!

Have you thought about being a town planner?

Have you thought about taking this to the Pune town planning authorities?
Good suggestions both. Thanks Kevin.

Would love to be a town planner, but they won't make me one. . Also don't think approaching town planning would do anything. I believe that there is no shortage of people more qualified than me as far as town planning is concerned, there are definitely good engineers @ Delhi Metro Railway Corporation. It is the financial planning and execution stage - which are under direct control / influenced by politicians - where things usually go wrong.

Last edited by MandarMax : 22nd April 2012 at 20:07.
Old 23rd April 2012, 12:24   #1169
Senior - BHPian

@Mandar: Nice work, but metro should cover the airport and link it to the railway station. This is how it is in Delhi for example. Please include the airport in your next version.
S_U_N is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2012, 13:39   #1170
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
@Mandar: Nice work, but metro should cover the airport and link it to the railway station. This is how it is in Delhi for example. Please include the airport in your next version.
It actually does both. If you see, the light blue line connects the Pune railway station as well as the Lohagaon airport. I think I have placed the red dot a bit too close to the Nagar road, but that was actually meant for the airport. And if you are talking about the proposed airport at Chakan, that too is connected, though I don't know the exact location for that.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks