Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:39   #1186
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Ohh! When I was passing through the same toll booth at about 9pm, I asked the toll attendant that whether the toll was applicable for Pune residents too. He replied 'Even Aamdars have to pay this toll' which I didn't quite get the reference of. Now I know!
Old 2nd May 2012, 14:54   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Ohh! When I was passing through the same toll booth at about 9pm, I asked the toll attendant that whether the toll was applicable for Pune residents too. He replied 'Even Aamdars have to pay this toll' which I didn't quite get the reference of. Now I know!
Show him the supreme court directive

no idea why they have extended this tollplaza by a year. The road further ahead is not that great anyway. Its acceptable, but not great. Maybe they should put up a toll plaza at Lavasa entry point.

For all tolled roads, alternative free use roads should be provided.
Old 2nd May 2012, 15:12   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Even more funny/sad was the illegal toll plaza on the Umbraj - Patan road. The local goons were gathered and were collecting 17rs from each vehicle. The barriers were operated by hand (a man was manually lifting and putting back the barriers!) so that cars would stop and pay!

I can think of 3 of such illegal toll booths in and around Pune. One is this, Umbraj - Patan road. Other is on Hadapsar - Fursungi road ahead of SP Infocity. Third is the Chandani Chowk toll. These tolls are closed by the government, yet the structure remains to provide employment to local goons and low lifes to collect tolls from unsuspecting cars. If anyone knows any more such illegal toll booths, please update.
ani_meher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:24   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Other is on Hadapsar - Fursungi road ahead of SP Infocity. These tolls are closed by the government, yet the structure remains to provide employment to local goons and low lifes to collect tolls from unsuspecting cars. If anyone knows any more such illegal toll booths, please update.
I take the Saswad route to Narayanpur Balaji Temple, so I pass by this Hadapsar -Fursungi Road and I end up paying the toll whenever my KA registered car is driven. I noticed they do charge for registrations other than MH12 as a couple of times taking my Pune registered vehicle did not attract this. I am not sure whether they do it deliberately but certainly dont understand the logic here .
Old 3rd May 2012, 14:31   #1190
Senior - BHPian

Heads up to anyone driving on SB road from University/ Chatushringi side towards Law college road

Just after the ICC Tech tower/ Pantaloons and a few metres before that signal (is it Vetalbaba chowk) the road is either dug up or collapsed. This is in the middle of the road, so please ensure you stay in the extreme left or right lane. As of yesterday night, there was only a single metal barricade placed horizontally across the road. Perpendicular to traffic movement and right where the road surface has gone poof.
There are a number of last minute swerves by our 'local Cadaloras'/ 'mad max' Biaggis, so please keep your eyes open for them even if you are in the right/ left lanes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
Pls talk to the authorities, I am sure you have support from the fellow TeamBHPians. count me in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Please feel free to share your thoughts.
I was working on a similar type of proposal (not as detailed!) a couple of years ago but was using the riverbed area for carriage area/ parking lots. The thought process then was to take this to the relevant party in power then through some contacts. Not for any benefits to myself definitely. However, everyone has their vested interests and pull in different directions in terms of their own egos and benefits. I am not trying to dissuade you but just giving an alert that the correct path needs to be found by braintorming with relevant minds.
I am happy to join this effort and take it further. We will definitely need to think out of the box and need adequate publicity to make this work in a positive way.

Quote:
If anyone knows any more such illegal toll booths, please update.
Some of us have been raving mad about this here for some time:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...l-plaza-8.html

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd May 2012 at 14:44.
Old 3rd May 2012, 15:21   #1191
BHPian

I don't know if you all have noticed this or is it just me going crazy with what I am seeing? Off late, I am seeing lots and lots of traffic hawaldars busy talking on their cell phones while monitoring a busy cross road or signals. Aren't they supposed to look after the traffic snarls, etc? I see this regularly now a days at Sancheti chowk, Agriculture college chowk, Shivajinagar Police station chowk and at the cross roads below the E-Square to name a few. Interestingly, there is always a lady hawaldar at the E-square cross road that goes towards range hills and she will always be talking on a cell phone. I wonder why there is always a lady hawaldar at this chowk, but the funny part is even if the duty is changed the new hawaldar would be found talking on her cell phone!!

We already have morons who drive/ride on a cell phone () and now even the hawaldar's are on the cell phones when they are on duty. I mean I understand that there could be situations when they have to respond to the phones, but it's too much to digest that every other traffic hawaldar is on the phone!
Figopian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:16   #1192
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I don't know if you all have noticed this or is it just me going crazy with what I am seeing? Off late, I am seeing lots and lots of traffic hawaldars busy talking on their cell phones while monitoring a busy cross road or signals.
Not when you dont have a flashing beacon on your vehicle. What do you expect?!
We should be glad some of them have grown over their habit of hiding behind trees or in other blind spots and jumping in front of vehicles who they have 'caught' sneaking out of an amber signal perhaps.

By the way you forgot to mention drivers and pedestrians who are forever glued to their ipod or equivalent. Whats the big deal about music, do you have to listen to something all the time? Spare us fellow drivers please!

Last edited by selfdrive : 3rd May 2012 at 17:18.
Old 3rd May 2012, 17:28   #1193
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VJ_MAVRICK View Post
I take the Saswad route to Narayanpur Balaji Temple, so I pass by this Hadapsar -Fursungi Road and I end up paying the toll whenever my KA registered car is driven. I noticed they do charge for registrations other than MH12 as a couple of times taking my Pune registered vehicle did not attract this. I am not sure whether they do it deliberately but certainly dont understand the logic here .
I work in SP infocity & pass through the Fursungi bridge many a times. I do not pay any toll over there (mine is MH14 registration) because I know that it is an illegal toll booth. Ideally we should get hold of some paper cutting or some circular which lists down all the toll booths, which are operating illegally & when they demand for the money throw this list on their face.
Old 3rd May 2012, 18:00   #1194
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post

By the way you forgot to mention drivers and pedestrians who are forever glued to their ipod or equivalent. Whats the big deal about music, do you have to listen to something all the time? Spare us fellow drivers please!
No I did not, I did mention those morons. But I am kind of becoming ignorant towards people with something in their ear. I was expecting more sincerity from the police, but alas..
Old 4th May 2012, 11:49   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

OT Point - Route Discovery!

Here's another short-cut I was shown by one of my friends - route to reach Baner from Aundh without going through the traffic-intense ITI road - Rajwada (hotel) route.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-route.jpg
First placeholder - Parihar chowk / Third placeholder - Baner Petrol Pump

For most of the part, the road is (just) wide enough for two cars to pass by each other. However there is a stretch of 200 mts where the road condition is very bad, as we pass over the nullah (shown as the middle placeholder in the map).

Although I could see several cars using this route, I would recommend this route only for two wheelers. Cuts the travel time (from Aundh to Baner) to just 3-4 minutes at max.

Last edited by ninjatalli : 4th May 2012 at 11:51.
ninjatalli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2012, 12:05   #1196
BHPian

Wow, thanks Ninja. Would surely try this.

BTW - Why was there a long traffic jam at HJW chowk around 10.30? Vehicles lined up right from Marriot to the chowk.
Some intelligent creatures now have started going beyond the red barricades and further blocking the road. I traveled in car after long time today, and no ways I would continue that.
Old 4th May 2012, 22:18   #1197
dot
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Here's another short-cut I was shown by one of my friends - route to reach Baner from Aundh without going through the traffic-intense ITI road - Rajwada (hotel) route.
Good catch Ninja. Noticed in the map, where the right turn is (from Baner side), a few meters away seems to be the starting point of Nagras Road. Nagras Road is an unusually wide road which seems to go nowhere. Why was it made? Any idea?
Old 5th May 2012, 00:09   #1198
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Good catch Ninja. Noticed in the map, where the right turn is (from Baner side), a few meters away seems to be the starting point of Nagras Road. Nagras Road is an unusually wide road which seems to go nowhere. Why was it made? Any idea?
The greyish block at the end of Nagras road is a new residential complex, Aloma County. By the looks of the place, the road seemed to end there only. I could very much believe that the road was made for that complex only.

Edit : Aloma County website shows a road connection to Baner, so possibly this Nagras road could be extended to connect to Baner too!

Last edited by ninjatalli : 5th May 2012 at 00:14.
Old 6th May 2012, 12:17   #1199
BHPian

Had been extremely busy last week so couldn't comment earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
It is great that you are thinking about the good future of the city that we love so much. Much better than the usual rant and negativity. I would certainly suggest that you take your work to appropriate authorities. Yes, it might (and will) meet the expected skepticism, but sometimes unthinkable happens. Courage is needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by advaitlele View Post
This is fantastic Mandar. We all love this city, and thanks for thinking for the future.
As dot has said, any new thing will be met with skepticism.
About the budget, well, we have lots of money, its just that it needs to be channelised correctly.

Pls talk to the authorities, I am sure you have support from the fellow TeamBHPians. count me in.
Thanks for your suggestions. I am always a bit skeptical about the political class, I have come to believe that most politicians will not do anything unless there is some personal gain. Having said that I am open to the idea if you or anyone on this forum have contacts in position of authority - someone who can at least see / listen to the proposal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
I was working on a similar type of proposal (not as detailed!) a couple of years ago but was using the riverbed area for carriage area/ parking lots. The thought process then was to take this to the relevant party in power then through some contacts. Not for any benefits to myself definitely. However, everyone has their vested interests and pull in different directions in terms of their own egos and benefits. I am not trying to dissuade you but just giving an alert that the correct path needs to be found by braintorming with relevant minds.
I am happy to join this effort and take it further. We will definitely need to think out of the box and need adequate publicity to make this work in a positive way.
I had that idea too (i.e. using Riverbed for road/metro) and from a very long time. I agree that it is important to make people aware of these ideas. We should use social media to its fullest potential. As more and more people see/understand/debate these ideas, it will capture people's imagination and something positive will definitely come out. (Ah, here I go again! daydreaming.. bad habit this! ).

And thanks for your willingness to join the effort. We should plan something in near future. If you are in Kothrud area we can meet, and also invite other fellow bhpians who would be interested in joining to movement (or should I even call it that?).

Last edited by MandarMax : 6th May 2012 at 12:25.
Old 7th May 2012, 16:47   #1200
BHPian

Mods I have seen number of threads related to sun film removal , incase of duplication please remove or merge this post.

Pune tbhpians it has been reported in today's sakal & TOI that pune traffic police has started a drive to check since films. Did anyone of you were caught in this drive. If yes, what has been your experience.

Most Viewed