Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 19:17   #1201
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
Thanks for your suggestions. I am always a bit skeptical about the political class, I have come to believe that most politicians will not do anything unless there is some personal gain. Having said that I am open to the idea if you or anyone on this forum have contacts in position of authority - someone who can at least see / listen to the proposal.

I had that idea too (i.e. using Riverbed for road/metro) and from a very long time. I agree that it is important to make people aware of these ideas. We should use social media to its fullest potential. As more and more people see/understand/debate these ideas, it will capture people's imagination and something positive will definitely come out. (Ah, here I go again! daydreaming.. bad habit this! ).

And thanks for your willingness to join the effort. We should plan something in near future. If you are in Kothrud area we can meet, and also invite other fellow bhpians who would be interested in joining to movement (or should I even call it that?).
Actually, there is a group of Architects, planners, educationists and related professionals, under banner of Pune Technical Coalition, which is coalition of 22 professional associations (architects, planners, urban designers, civil engineers, contractors, interior architects, railway engineers, etc.), all schools of Architecture and town planning and Janwani, NGO of MCCIA and groups of citizens under Pune Metro Jagruti Abhiyan, trying to convince govt and politicians that Metro should be under ground in central part of Pune. We had already made presentations to all politicians connected to Pune, across the party lines. Apparently, all accept that Metro should be underground, but in reality make resolutions other way.

You can read blogs on the issue at - Architecture+: Bury the METRO Architecture+: Munnabhai on Metro..by Shirish Kembhavi Architecture+: 19 May and Metro

There is a movement on facebook also in this regard. I believe average citizen is neither aware nor bothered at this point of time. So is the media. They all will wake up only when the roads get cordoned and they began facing hardship. Unfortunately, it will be too late then as the contracts will have been already awarded and government will not be able to go back.

Along with metro will also come congestion. To raise the funds, it is proposed to award FSI 4 (4 times present FSI) for plots 500 mtrs on either side of Metro line. This will bring in 4 times current population along with their vehicles, etc. into this central part of city. Imagine the chaos that will prevail.

For city like Pune where the roads in the central area are no more than 24 meters wide only sensible option is to build underground metro.
CANPUSH is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 12:06   #1202
Senior - BHPian

Expect the ruination of some nice roads like JM Road, FC Road and some cramped ones like Karve road , amongst many others PMC Has decided to go ahead with 4 more long BRT Routes. :

PMC
Old 9th May 2012, 13:34   #1203
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Just after the ICC Tech tower/ Pantaloons and a few metres before that signal (is it Vetalbaba chowk) the road is either dug up or collapsed.
Update: this section has seen some patchwork and the barricades have been removed. But that stretch is as risky if not more than before.
Watch out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
And thanks for your willingness to join the effort. We should plan something in near future. If you are in Kothrud area we can meet, and also invite other fellow bhpians who would be interested in joining to movement (or should I even call it that?).
Sure I am game for any activism as long as it is positive in efforts. and yes, I am in Kothrud too. lets plan a breakfast meet in the area. please subscribe to the tapri meet thread. I will try to initiate/ plan something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Pune tbhpians it has been reported in today's sakal & TOI that pune traffic police has started a drive to check since films. Did anyone of you were caught in this drive. If yes, what has been your experience.
nope, not been caught yet. not seen anything on my bike commute either. but my commute is restricted to Kothrud/ SB road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
For city like Pune where the roads in the central area are no more than 24 meters wide only sensible option is to build underground metro.
sir, I am no expert in nothing. but due to unfortunately repeated exposure to logistics, I can be of some assistance there. if you are a part of this and would like someone to consolidate/ optimise efforts, do let me know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Expect the ruination of some nice roads like JM Road, FC Road and some cramped ones like Karve road , amongst many others PMC Has decided to go ahead with 4 more long BRT Routes. :
ruination of ruins? how can that happen?!

yesterday I was fetching my son from his swimming classes and we saw a bus going by at a signal. People were dangling precariously from the footboard. My son said it reminded him of a BBC program featuring monkeys or bats dangling from trees. We are not really living as humans here, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Last Saturday, I was driving home from ICC and all of a sudden, I see that barricaded portion in front of me. Thankfully it was noon time, hence could swerve without worrying about traffic.
See SI, you should believe me once in a while. I am not crying wolf!

Usual suspicion is that the road is not built according to proper standards of stone/ gravel/ tar and the underbelly is, well just jelly.

^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 9th May 2012 at 13:55.
Old 9th May 2012, 13:43   #1204
Senior - BHPian

^^How many times is that section of road going to collapse? And yes, it collapses or gives in (whichever is the termed used).
Last Saturday, I was driving home from ICC and all of a sudden, I see that barricaded portion in front of me. Thankfully it was noon time, hence could swerve without worrying about traffic.
Old 9th May 2012, 14:10   #1205
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
OT Point - Route Discovery!
Here's another short-cut I was shown by one of my friends - route to reach Baner from Aundh without going through the traffic-intense ITI road - Rajwada (hotel) route.
First placeholder - Parihar chowk / Third placeholder - Baner Petrol Pump
I cannot thank you enough. I distinctly remember there used to be another road right around Seasons hotel in Aundh that used to emerge at the Petrol pump on Baner road. This one seems to be new. I should give it a try since I am moving to Baner in a weeks time and brother lives on Nagras road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dot View Post
Nagras Road is an unusually wide road which seems to go nowhere. Why was it made? Any idea?
Nagras road will eventually join Baner road as a bypass to Aundh around the same area where the bridge from Pimple Nilakh comes in. That's what I had seen in the Aundh development plan long ago.

__________________________________________________ ________________

Off late traffic cops have started a massive drive on weekends to curb drunk driving and now add a check for sunfilms on cars. One such barricade is put outside Fergusson college every weekend.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2012, 16:36   #1206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post

PMC
Completely agree with you. BRTS doesnot solve the problem but create more problems, that is what we experience with so called BRTS route that is being operated today. Its a clear example of robbing tax payers money. This decision must be opposed to extreme, I do not know how and that adds to the frustration
Old 9th May 2012, 19:59   #1207
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
Its a clear example of robbing tax payers money. This decision must be opposed to extreme
Amount spent on existing Katraj + Hadapsar BRT routes ~ 125 crores.
Do you see Anything worth even 10 crores along the way ? Hadapsar route is not even a complete stretch and blatant violations are the norm. The bus stops already appear dilapidated and rusting. Accidents are aplenty.

Proposed expenses for new BRT routes ~ 1000+ crores. EPIC waste of money I say.
Old 9th May 2012, 20:06   #1208
BHPian

^^^ Add to that, the road dividers on Katraj BRTS route are being demolished in order to make way for proposed fly overs.
THe bus stops at the centre of the roads makes it more and more difficult for people to get in there, basically cross the never stopping traffic at extreme risk just to get to the bus stop. Forget the misery of handicapped people!
They purchased buses with doors on both sides, what the heck? Where do the passengers use the right side door?
Just compare the amount of people being transported against the %age of area of the road getting used by BRTS. It is no where near to justify BRTS.

1000+ crores on BRTS? Why not invest some money on buying new buses and improving the current status of PMPML?
Old 9th May 2012, 20:40   #1209
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
Very insightful posts CANPUSH sir. Thanks for sharing them with us.
As a trained urban planner/architect , what are your thoughts on the BRT implementation in Pune city, both current and proposed ?
Old 9th May 2012, 21:05   #1210
BHPian

It's time to rant again.

For those living in Kothrud and using the new DP road, Kumar Parisar-Ashish Garden- YC Natyagriha, the roadwork seems going to take forever to complete. It is utter waste of money and resource, with roads dig for over a year and debris left haphazard manner.

It seems though been lucky earlier to have wider roads (compared to rest of Pune),the Kothrud is fast proving a cursed suburb. The Paud road (tar-retar-concretisation, pedestrain subway, flyover) took almost decade to complete (leave the pedestrian subways as last heard that 50% will be abandon) , now the Karve road-New DP going to follow same plight.

PS - The footpaths on 100ft Kumar parisar are dig and fixed for 6 times in last year. What a waste of tax money
Old 10th May 2012, 13:04   #1211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanstorm View Post
For those living in Kothrud and using the new DP road, Kumar Parisar-Ashish Garden- YC Natyagriha, the roadwork seems going to take forever to complete.
by the way what is going on there? A year ago I thought the road was being concretised, but apparently only some concrete duct is being prepared and nothing else.

The worst section has to be near Paranjpe school where a chawl perpendicular to the road has not been demolished. So the road narrows down to half of its carriage width. Any idea why that building has been left alone? Its only a single storey chawl; might as well extend the road by that much to remove a roadblock.

I think the problem is accentuated because the road from Dahanukar colony has been closed for the last month at least.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:05   #1212
BHPian

Update on the Chandani Chowk traffic in the evening.

Vehicles coming from paud/mulshi side and going towards kothrud depot are now being diverted via the upcoming road from Ved Vihar by putting in barricades in half section of the road. I think this is valid only in the evenings 5-8 and might help reducing the chaos at Chandani chowk
heman_369 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2012, 17:15   #1213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heman_369 View Post
Vehicles coming from paud/mulshi side and going towards kothrud depot are now being diverted via the upcoming road from Ved Vihar by putting in barricades in half section of the road. I think this is valid only in the evenings 5-8 and might help reducing the chaos at Chandani chowk
Might be a little better than before but the traffic from Paud/ Mulshi would still interfere with the traffic coming up from Kothrud and turning right towards Bavdhan.
Or hold on, maybe they could reverse the direction of that one way structure. So the road via Vedvihar would be used for traffic coming down from Chandni chowk and heading towards HJW/ Mumbai. The road on the Bavdhan/ Banjara hills side could be used for traffic going up to Chandni chowk and towards Katraj/ Satara/ Blr.

But then that jam will be transferred from the top the bridge to down in Kothrud.

It is a very badly planned junction. I cannot think of anything better. More a case of choosing the least evil option.
Old 10th May 2012, 17:45   #1214
Senior - BHPian

^^No wonder, the amount of traffic at CC has gone down a bit.

IIRC, the Kumar Parisar - YC Natyagrih road was being dug up due to repairs in water/whatever pipes. But, that, like any other project has taken eons to complete.
From what I understand, those residing in Kumar Parisar and thereabouts have a serious problem. The DP road is dug up, and so is the Dahanukar Colony road. The only way out of that area in relatively less traffic is to join Paud Rd.
Old 11th May 2012, 09:05   #1215
Senior - BHPian

Live post: horrible jam on nh4 near bavdhan. Go via baner or take the city route. I am stuck since the past 30 mins.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks