Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2012, 12:27   #1321
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

^Actually, there was a truck that malfunctioned on the right lane, bang opposite Balewadi. Hence the traffic. My wife drove past that point around 8ish and mentioned the queue.

Nowadays, in the evenings, the traffic gets worse after Praj. The road extension after Lalani Quantum causes huge queues. Sometimes extending all the way till Praj junction.
Last evening, I got stuck in the jam, and was there for a good two hours! Pouring rains, no sign of traffic movement and a full bladder ensured an ordeal and a half .
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2012, 12:34   #1322
Senior - BHPian

Slow moving traffic on Nagar road this morning. I suspect that this will be the situation in other parts of the city too, with rain Gods finally gracing the city since last nights.

Hopefully the water situation will improve provided it rains in and around the water catchment areas.
Old 31st July 2012, 13:47   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Slow moving traffic on Nagar road this morning. I suspect that this will be the situation in other parts of the city too, with rain Gods finally gracing the city since last nights.
You said it! If it were any slow, it would have gone in reverse.

It took me almost 30 minutes to cross just the Kalyani Nagar chowk. After that, only more 15 mins to reach office. Am not looking forward to the evening commute at all!

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 31st July 2012, 14:44   #1324
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Nowadays, in the evenings, the traffic gets worse after Praj. The road extension after Lalani Quantum causes huge queues. Sometimes extending all the way till Praj junction.
Yes, its due to the overbridge being built a little after that. The service road is only 1.5 lanes wide, which results in the jams. I will probably just exit at SUS from today and avoid the highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Last evening, I got stuck in the jam, and was there for a good two hours! Pouring rains, no sign of traffic movement and a full bladder ensured an ordeal and a half .
Dude, its said that driving under the influence of the bladder is actually more dangerous than driving under the influence of alcohol. And you are a guy, so...umm..never mind , there was no "side lane" left to park anyway.
I was in the leftmost lane of a two lane highway, and at one point of the time I found myself being third from left.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2012, 10:26   #1325
BHPian

The recent attack on JM road have left quite a few souls residing in the area, restless and shakey.

Sad to see pune going down the terror hit list..

Recent last time it was the madman in a ST bus, this time its an organised effort!

Somebody has already started a separate thread on this..
Old 4th August 2012, 22:08   #1326
BHPian

This happened near Sancheti hospital signal at around 6.30 pm on a Sunday evening to a colleague of mine.

He was waiting for the signal to turn green and had his windows half open. A beggar passed by his car and suddenly started yanking the rear door pointing his legs and then started limping. He also started abusing my colleague. This guy got distracted while trying to understand what happened. In the meanwhile one person put his hand through the open window and ran away with the mobile. All the time, the colleague was unaware that someone has ran away with his mobile phone.

He came to know about this only when he pushed ahead on the signal and an elderly couple in the next car told him that someone was trying to steal stuff while you were looking at the beggar.

This is very similar to http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...o-shocked.html
Adi_k is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2012, 11:52   #1327
Senior - BHPian

^Such incidents are on the rise, nowadays. Its always better to lock the doors and the windows. Most importantly, not to keep valuable items (like mobiles) visible to outsiders.

Also, Ive seen and heard a few cases, where cars were broken into, to steal something. The dash/windscreen mounted GPS was a give away. Even if you dont leave the GPS on the mount, its always better to remove the casing, while getting out of the car.
Old 6th August 2012, 12:19   #1328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi_k View Post
He came to know about this only when he pushed ahead on the signal and an elderly couple in the next car told him that someone was trying to steal stuff while you were looking at the beggar.
While I dont expect the elderly couple to chase the thieves on foot, perhaps they could have created an alarm by standing on their car horn? Nevertheless, that mobile is gone now and it would only be good to learn the lesson.

I can recall two incidents at signals.

The first one while I was in my office cab at Bal gandharva signal. A beggar came knocking on the rear windows and the lady in the rear seat was refusing to look at the beggar or give anything. The cab driver tried to become the knight in shining armour and asked the beggar to move away. The beggar moved ot the driver window and threatened the driver to come out. The change in tone and threat was so immediate and dire that the cab driver was literally tongue tied.

Second incident last month at Deccan Lakdi pul signal. We were waiting to turn right on Karve road when this kid comes and tries to wipe the windshield with his dirty rag. I have none of it and reverse/ forward the car so that he doesnt scratch the glass. He comes over the driver window and does the usual begging action. We are not looking at him, but a co passenger notices that the beggar kid is scanning the entire dashboard, glove box and rear seat area. Again an unfortunate reminder of the objectives these people have. Thankfully, our windows and doors are locked and there is no way anyone can steal anything till I open the door. And learning from Sugeeta's incident, I have learnt not to unlock the car at any such distraction. Lets hope we dont forget that!
Old 6th August 2012, 14:31   #1329
Senior - BHPian

At the Nal-stop signal too, there is an elderly beggar type person in army or watchman like fatigues who comes to your window and demands some money. I have encountered him twice or thrice. But can't say if he is really a thief or a beggar.
Old 6th August 2012, 14:57   #1330
BHPian

Posted earlier in wrong thread, re-posting here.
-----------------------------------------------
Speed-breakers were so far a nuisance to us. Rarely it did cause a damage to our cars. But here in Pune, an unmarked speedbreaker killed a person.

Speedbreaker removed after fatal bus accident, News - City - Pune Mirror,Pune Mirror

This person was travelling in a bus to Pune. In Hadapsar (Pune suburb), bus driver could not spot this unmarked, newly constructed, non-standard speedbreaker. People on last seat got thrown up and hit the roof of the bus.

I heard that this speed breaker was constructed near the house of the mayor.

This speedbreaker was later removed after this accident. But one live is lost that can not be reversed.

This is so tragic and so unnecessary. I don't know when the local authorities are going to be become sensitive about this.
Old 10th August 2012, 09:56   #1331
Senior - BHPian

<rant>
Today is Dahi-Handi. Also known as free-for-all thuggery day. The approach road to my home, a nicely paved, un-potholed stretch , was dug up and more than 75% of it occupied by a pandal, by a bunch of goons known who call themselves "Lover's Group". They made sure nobody can miss them romeos by putting up massive 2-storey high flex boards of themselves.

Starlets seem to be the theme this year , with a bunch of them adorning all flex boards alongside the Guntha mantris. Expect huge crowds showing up to watch them and massive jams in the evening.
Bavdhan road seems especially tricky, since a famous Canadian female with a propensity to shed clothes is expected to "grace" the Dahi Handi there.
</rant>

sajo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th August 2012, 10:49   #1332
Distinguished - BHPian

@sajo- It's OK, you can say "Sunny Leone"- it's not on the list of banned words

Yup- the Jism 2 girl herself is gracing the dahi handi of Sus/Bavdhan/Balewadi (my neighbourhood!) with her presence. The buzz is that she got paid 5 Lac for it, too! There is plenty outrage about this on Facebook but I find it silly- if Prachi Desai can come across the road why not Ms. Leone?

I reached office early today but can't imagine what a mess the roads must be today thanks to incessant rains and of course the preparations for dahi-handi tonight. I expect most offices will start emptying by 4. Expect the worst traffic you can imagine!
Old 10th August 2012, 10:57   #1333
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I expect most offices will start emptying by 4. Expect the worst traffic you can imagine!
Any idea what time Hinjewadi folks will start Dahi-Handi? Will it be on main Hinjewadi road? Normally we get mail from admin informing about such things, but this time there is no information.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:13   #1334
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Bavdhan road seems especially tricky, since a famous Canadian female with a propensity to shed clothes is expected to "grace" the Dahi Handi there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
@sajo- It's OK, you can say "Sunny Leone"- it's not on the list of banned words

Btw the Aap ki Suroor lady is gracing Hinjewadi today. I wonder how it is going to turn out considering
- Daily jams due to increased traffic due to rains
- Friday evenings have immense traffic jams every week constantly
- Dahi - handi celebrations!

I guess today will be the day I'll be testing the Vento on the Nande-Chande-Sus Road route. Wonder what is the condition of the road on that route.
Old 10th August 2012, 11:20   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post

I guess today will be the day I'll be testing the Vento on the Nande-Chande-Sus Road route. Wonder what is the condition of the road on that route.
Not a good idea methinks. I went by that route last night and saw a couple of Dahi Handi Pandals on the way. So better to avoid.

I guess the best option would be to leave early.
amitwlele is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed