Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 11:35   #1411
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

For 6 kms distance from Aundh to SB Road office I would have had to
1. walk half KM (no issues) after taking 2 buses.
2. walk 2 km from University circle to SB Road office
So I dropped the idea and I guess so did many others. Roads were full as usual on my way.
Old 1st November 2012, 16:00   #1412
BHPian

Pune's successful "Bus Day"

A nice citizen’s initiative – I rode to work in a PMPL bus. It was not full and got a window seat – this was due to the constant steam of buses arriving and departing.

The bus was clean, shining and it was a pleasurable wintry morning.

A beaming faced conductor saying “Tell me, sir, which ticket do you want?” was a plus.

Many people were boarding a public bus in Pune for the first time.

The roads were empty except for a few stray two wheelers and cars. It was buses and buses everywhere.

The drivers were following the lanes and stopping at the nicely done up bus stops.

Overall a commendable effort and if this continues I would prefer to travel this way forever.

Old 1st November 2012, 16:13   #1413
Senior - BHPian

First of all, I do appreciate the initiative and all the people who actively participated in this event.

However, it was extremely difficult for me to participate. I start from Kothrud, drop by daughter to her school on Paud Road and then go to my office on Baner road. I would have probably needed to change 4-5 buses to reach office and all this would have probably taken about 2 hours at least. So it not really feasible for me.

BTW, throughout on my route, I saw all the buses jam packed to the brim, bus stops flooding with people and multiple buses causing heavy traffic jams. I spent 15 minutes to cross a distance of 1 KM this morning, due to the BUS day initiative. I totally support the initiative, however our current infrastructure does not support the initiative yet IMO.

Last edited by ajay_satpute : 1st November 2012 at 16:15.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:24   #1414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alto99 View Post
So I dropped the idea and I guess so did many others. Roads were full as usual on my way.
Where do you work on SB road? there are a few mini meets happening multiple times on workdays. PM/ call me for details!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
First of all, I do appreciate the initiative and all the people who actively participated in this event.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ketantendulkar View Post
A nice citizen’s initiative – I rode to work in a PMPL bus. It was not full and got a window seat – this was due to the constant steam of buses arriving and departing.
Yes, the buses worked well. The traffic was disciplined. New routes were in place. We saw 8 to 10 buses within 10 minutes on SB road where on normal days we would not see even one.
But I will join this initiative only when public transport is made mandatory for all people in elected posts. Forget official cars, all these people should be given only PMPML and ST bus passes, not a paisa more. When (edit- no, that should be If) this is done, frequency, quality of service, everything will automatically go up. till then I am not vacating roads for such people to zoom all over town. Even if it delays me by minutes or if people call me selfish. Let them set an example and practice what is being preached.

I dont see why the onus on keeping roads free is focussed only on the common man. Because of the sheer numbers, or because the elected people cannot plan a city with any foresight? It is like blaming the citizen for not voting when an elected representative is scamming his way to Switzerland. He does so because he has no fear of the law. Not because I did or did not vote for him.

All I have to say is we are solving the wrong problem by saying that the cause for traffic jams is the common man.

Last edited by selfdrive : 1st November 2012 at 17:26.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st November 2012, 17:48   #1415
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
...there are a few mini meets happening multiple times on workdays. PM/ call me for details!
Multiple mini-meets?? Would love to join in, it'd be a nice break from the mundane weekdays!

Selfdrive, you have a PM.

Cheers,
Rahul
Old 1st November 2012, 18:07   #1416
BHPian

I think the Pune bus day confirmed that our infrastructure is not ready to have 3000 buses on road every day. I saw long queues of buses at bus stop with most buses half empty, which shows not many new passengers ready to travel by bus. A good initiative but needs more accurate planning in terms of bus routes and frequency considering rush hours. As reported by many, I did not see any reduced traffic anywhere between SB road and Kalyaninagar.
Old 1st November 2012, 18:19   #1417
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Multiple mini-meets?? Would love to join in, it'd be a nice break from the mundane weekdays!
Selfdrive, you have a PM.
You have a reply to your PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
I think the Pune bus day confirmed that our infrastructure is not ready to have 3000 buses on road every day.
Sorry to sound so pessimistic but unless this translates into something concrete, this is not a solution. We will get people into buses, increase their number and slowly other vehicles will take up the free space. Isnt that how it works at our traffic signals anyway?

Its like putting a band aid for 10 minutes on a fractured limb, and then being happy that we have done something about it.
Old 1st November 2012, 18:57   #1418
BHPian

Quote:
You have a reply to your PM

Sorry to sound so pessimistic but unless this translates into something concrete, this is not a solution. We will get people into buses, increase their number and slowly other vehicles will take up the free space. Isnt that how it works at our traffic signals anyway?

Its like putting a band aid for 10 minutes on a fractured limb, and then being happy that we have done something about it.
No, it doesn't sound pessimistic, in fact I agree with your analysis. To be able to use the public transport, a mentality change is needed and this does not happen over night. We need a lot more of these bus days (better planned of course). As I said, I do not think that many car/bike users joined this activity, many did but definitely not as many as expected. More buses alone will not solve the problem. There are multiple solutions that need to be implemented (metro?) and that too very fast. By the time we implement a solution and that too at this pace, its going to be too late :(
Old 1st November 2012, 19:47   #1419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figopian View Post
More buses alone will not solve the problem. There are multiple solutions that need to be implemented (metro?) and that too very fast. By the time we implement a solution and that too at this pace, its going to be too late :(
I am of the opinion that a lot of folks won't/don't use the bus purely due to lack of connectivity. Lunchtime discussion today at the workplace revealed this. Some observations by a random cross-section of people (including ex-pats who use the bus more than me):

1) Overcrowded buses at most times of the day
2) The ride in most buses is like sitting on a bucking bronco than in a moving vehicle.
3) Bad connectivity, lack of convenient bus shelters
4) Displayed route information hardly decipherable

It is just not feasible if one needs to walk 'X'km to a bus shelter, wait (god knows how long), hop onto a bus (in the general direction you intend to proceed, hopefully) and then take a shared autorickshaw the last few km to office. And then repeat in the evening. My office is at Bavdhan, and it isn't a joke if I need to bus it from Baner Road even once a week.

I suppose if connectivity is improved (adding more buses, rerouting existing lines etc), the general consensus would be more in favour of the PMT. They could do well by taking a cue or two from the BMTC's staged improvements in Bangalore.

Oh, and while they're at it, maybe they can upgrade those bone-shaking rattlers! Maybe THEN have a Bus Day.

Cheers,
Rahul

PS: Lets not get into the horrors inflicted by the birth-pangs of a Metro! Ask us Bangaloreans, we'll tell!!
Old 2nd November 2012, 11:21   #1420
BHPian

Quote:
But I will join this initiative only when public transport is made mandatory for all people in elected posts.
The bus day concept may not be all correct. But the reason you have given is not fair. If something is right thing to do, do it without any condition. Probably, you are a rational person to decide where such conditions are valid. But if an average person uses such logic, there is no end to it.
-I will not show indicator while turning because president's motorcade did not show any indicator
-I will not pay my taxes because all these politians earn black money and don't pay taxes
-I will not pay housing society maintenance because secreatry of society did not answer my question
etc
radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:17   #1421
Senior - BHPian

A good start leads to work half done! Or say they say.
Honestly, if it wasnt for the "No private vehicles" day, how many of us would even think of stepping into a PMPML bus? Not too many, I bet.

Yes, there is a long way to go, to set the infrastructure right. Yes, there are many loopholes in the existing system. Yes, there always will be - not so comepetant people leading us, but then, that doesnt mean, we the common people just sit back and blame everything.
We are equally responsible.

If such initiatives are planned (with better planning) and executed, Im positive, the traffic scene might see some good changes in the city.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:27   #1422
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
The bus day concept may not be all correct. But the reason you have given is not fair. If something is right thing to do, do it without any condition. Probably, you are a rational person to decide where such conditions are valid. But if an average person uses such logic, there is no end to it.
I am not even an average person, actually I am below average in these terms. But does this not smack of creating a little Amercianism in our society where someone who says that we should travel like cattle actually travels in more comfort on our tax money?
My point is the quality of public transport will not improve till such people actually travel in it. If someone tells me that this is what you have to do, it is up to me to decide whether it is acceptable or not.
Broken run down buses with inconsistent frequency, risky iron rods jutting out of seats, bus stops with no shelter and people waiting on roads may be acceptable to some or most. It is not acceptable to me. If we agree it is acceptable, it is our lot and they will move on. but unless we say its unacceptable, why will anyone do anything to improve it?
That is why I say force them to use public transport only and the quality will automatically improve. There will even be less SUVs on city roads. Which will free up more space than taking my motorbike off road.

Edit: Ending the discussion is not ideal. resolving it is. Even if it takes time. if we just try to end a conversation by saying I accept, we are actually settling for much less than what we should have as basic safety and comfort levels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Honestly, if it wasnt for the "No private vehicles" day, how many of us would even think of stepping into a PMPML bus? Not too many, I bet.
I was a regular passenger when it was still PMT and PCMT. I have even had monthly passes on the local train in Pune - Pradhikaran section (yes there is a train!). But if you look at how these public transport services are run now, one would not want to do that any more. There are umpteen ST services between towns in Maharashtra. We still choose to drive, dont we?!
Why is skipping state transport for personal cars acceptable and why is skipping city transport for personal vehicles not acceptable?

Especially (and this takes the cake for me) when this initiative is actually done to promote the launch of an English daily for an existing Marathi newspaper group. Check your doorstep and you will see a free copy there. I can go into further details, but I am sure that will make this a bit uncomfortable. More so when everyone is smug and happy about having taken the bus for one day.

Last edited by selfdrive : 2nd November 2012 at 12:46.
selfdrive is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:33   #1423
Senior - BHPian

^Its not a question of intra city, or intra state travel.
Like I said, there's a lot to be desired. Given the existing state of the buses (for both city and state travel), one actually shudders before boarding the bus.
If the buses were as "healthy" as some private operators buses, there would've been more people travelling in them.

As far as promotion of a new newspaper is concerned, I aint aware of that, since im not in town. I wouldnt comment on that.
Yes, it was a one day event. But, whats to say that this initiative wont be carried out again? Regardless of who the sponsorer of such an event was!

Also, not everyone is smug and happy about it. All the people who have mentioned their comments here, do add, in someway or the other, that there's a lot to be desired. But then, the overall consensus was that most were happy with an initiative.

Last edited by Swanand Inamdar : 2nd November 2012 at 12:39. Reason: Added text
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:52   #1424
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
Yes, it was a one day event. But, whats to say that this initiative wont be carried out again? Regardless of who the sponsorer of such an event was!

Also, not everyone is smug and happy about it. All the people who have mentioned their comments here, do add, in someway or the other, that there's a lot to be desired. But then, the overall consensus was that most were happy with an initiative.
I agree with that SI, but only time will tell what will happen next. Initiation is not the problem here, it is usually maintenance and upkeep that is the challenge.

Also would like to add that I appreciate the efforts of all involved, especially the drivers/ conductors and people on the ground but I do not support any commercial, political or business benefit by using this as a cause. Unless something is done in the long term.

All I am saying is its a start for now. Lets not be satisfied by going somewhere in a bus for one day. Or by the quality of services that are offered. Just because something is better than nothing.

Last edited by selfdrive : 2nd November 2012 at 12:53.
Old 2nd November 2012, 12:55   #1425
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I agree that maintainence and upkeep us an issue. History has been a proof of that.
No one is satisfied by going in a bus for one day. Most are satisfied, that such an initiative was at least planned. And somewhat well executed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks