Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2012, 14:33   #1456
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

MH 12/14-IX.NNNN series are not used by RTO just to avoid confusion between 'I' and '1'.
It has not vanished , but this series with Ix will not be issued by RTO for any vehicles as far as my understanding goes.
Old 6th November 2012, 15:57   #1457
Distinguished - BHPian

I don't think there is much method in this madness. Subodh's and my Ventos are just 17 days apart, the only difference is I opted for "special" number issued out of turn and he went with what God (and the RTO) ordained. His series is GK and mine is GR!
Old 7th November 2012, 18:34   #1458
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Mr. Balaji, you did not get the point. I meant to say that where has the whole MH 12 Ix xxxx series gone. With one alphabet, the total possible combinations are 9999 x 26, isn't it?
Mr. Ajay, indeed I had not understood the question which i why I said I am not sure what you meant. I get it now
the evoque was not Ix 9999, thats for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
I don't think there is much method in this madness. Subodh's and my Ventos are just 17 days apart, the only difference is I opted for "special" number issued out of turn and he went with what God (and the RTO) ordained. His series is GK and mine is GR!
People are willing to spend more money in our part of the world for this nowadays (ahem, your noopness!), so special numbers are very much in demand. So they obviously follow a different allocation pattern. I am sure the 007 numbers have gone out far ahead than the current series for normal allocations. As have the numbers which can be morphed into 'Dada' and 'Raja' and what-have-you in the local numerals.
Which I hear are not actually legal. But that is another rant for another time.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:42   #1459
Senior - BHPian

Dunno where to ask , and *may* have been asked before, but how much do we need to pay the parking thugs at Pune Railway station ? I have been charged varying amounts like 15/20/25 for approximately same duration each time.
And I am extremely apprehensive about leaving my car keys with them as they often demand.
Is there another, safer car park anywhere ? What about the multi-level parking thingy one can see just before the station on the opposite side ?
Old 12th November 2012, 14:47   #1460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Is there another, safer car park anywhere ? What about the multi-level parking thingy one can see just before the station on the opposite side ?
Why dont you park at Sohrab Hall (Crossword, not sure if its still there!) and walk over?

There is a not so secret foot overbridge that ends up between the Le Meridien exit gate and the church/ school/ convent. It is the same Pune station overbridge that is extended from Platform 6 over the road onto the Le Meridien side. Yes, the same one that causes the road underneath to take a short sharp diversion. I am surprised you dont know this 'secret'! Its been there for at least 6-7 years if not more.
^^

Last edited by selfdrive : 12th November 2012 at 15:01.
Old 12th November 2012, 14:53   #1461
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Why dont you park at Sohrab Hall (Crossword, not sure if its still there!) and walk over?
If I have luggage, its kinda hard to cross the road with it..!

Or is there some secret foot overbridge at the far end of the station ?
Old 13th November 2012, 15:41   #1462
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Doubt this, since I am in possession of a late-80s Yezdi Classic that bears an MH12-B-XXXX number. Papers say this was the original number (not re-registered).

Another observation: I've come across a very small number of vehicles with registrations from the single letter series like the above Yezdi. Is it because most of them from the 80s were scrapped/re-registered? Strange.

But maybe we should get back to the rants now? Anyone in the mood?
The new system of numbering started only in September 1989... So how late is your late 80's Yezdi Classic? I doubt its the original registration no.

Most of the 80's vehicle will have the old system... Three letters and three or four digits. MFK 5727 etc.. Most Single letter MH12 nos. would be registered between September 89 to mid 92.. look for old KiHo's or Hero Puch's or Bajaj Supers.. those were what sold then..
Old 14th November 2012, 12:43   #1463
Distinguished - BHPian

A friend who's looking to invest in the north corridor (Vishvrantwadi - Dhanori - Wagholi) is getting a lot of mixed opinions & views on the "potential" Ring Road and road infrastructure plans of the government.

Does anyone have a decently plausible info on the same. Googling on "Pune Ring Road" doesn't give any useful info, the wiki page for the same has an outdated info (2007-old) which doesn't seem to make much help.
Old 14th November 2012, 13:00   #1464
Senior - BHPian

Diwali Dhamaka ?

According to Marathi daily Sakal , Pune RTO has registered 16,000+ new two wheelers and 1000+ cars in the past 14 days. Similarly , 9,800 new bikes are registered in Pimpri RTO.

<Insert oft repeated infrastructure, metro, public transport , bus and parking woes rants here>

Old 14th November 2012, 14:00   #1465
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Dunno where to ask , and *may* have been asked before, but how much do we need to pay the parking thugs at Pune Railway station ? I have been charged varying amounts like 15/20/25 for approximately same duration each time.
And I am extremely apprehensive about leaving my car keys with them as they often demand.
Once during daytime as usual the guy asked me for Rs 20 for parking and did not appear to be giving me a reciept. I stoped my car and asked for a recipt which said Rs 10 which was changed by a sketchpen to Rs 20. I gave him 10 but he was adament on 20.

I said it says 10 on the reciept and am not new to pune. Gave him a 100 Rupee note. He said 10 is fine as he does not have change.

The next time late at night the guy was reluctant on 20 even on argung on the Rs 10 changed with sketchpen.

He said night charges- Now I know he was a damn liar, but I did not want to get into a fight at midnight with the shady goons at station when accompanied with family.

Anything to stop this nuisance?
Old 14th November 2012, 14:11   #1466
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
Once during daytime as usual the guy asked me for Rs 20 for parking and did not appear to be giving me a reciept. I stoped my car and asked for a recipt which said Rs 10 which was changed by a sketchpen to Rs 20. I gave him 10 but he was adament on 20.

I said it says 10 on the reciept and am not new to pune. Gave him a 100 Rupee note. He said 10 is fine as he does not have change.
I was there on Monday , and my mother simply handed him a 10 rupee note, rolled up the window and we drove off. If you ask "kitna ?" though, you will get the varying answers.
Old 14th November 2012, 15:06   #1467
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ 10 works fine. As long as you sound like you know what you're doing, they will accept it and walk away.

Makes you wonder though- that mney probably ends up in someone's pocket rather than the state's exchequer where it is intended to.
Old 14th November 2012, 17:35   #1468
BHPian

The point with giving Rs 10 and walking out without a reciept is same as paying Rs 20 for a reciept worth Rs 10.

They want to earn Rs 10 from every vehicle which is unaccounted for to the Railways.

I usualy do not ask kitna hua but places where I do not frequent and do not know the rates, I appear to be clueless!
Rastapopoulos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 15:25   #1469
BHPian

I was waiting at Nal Stop Signal when noticed a well dressed man distributing some kind of card to drivers. First I thought it is some kind of advertisement. Soon he came to my my car, wished a polite 'Happy Diwali' and handed over the card to me. When I read, I was feeling like every day I kill some people on road.

(Translation: Thanks to vehicle drivers for keeping us alive. Please continue to have this affection on us. Best wishes to you and your family!)
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-wp_000245.jpg  

radek is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 16:02   #1470
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastapopoulos View Post
The point with giving Rs 10 and walking out without a reciept is same as paying Rs 20 for a reciept worth Rs 10.
Excellent point!!!

Kinda makes you think how we need to re-set our fundas, no!

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Soon he came to my my car, wished a polite 'Happy Diwali' and handed over the card to me. When I read, I was feeling like every day I kill some people on road.
Dunno the exact intention/context of the person, but that is really thoughtful way of putting his point forward.

Most Viewed