Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 25th December 2012, 12:39   #1546
Senior - BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by misguidedmisile View Post
The Tempo involved in the accident lost control and came onto the wrong side of the road! Poor people had no idea what was coming towards them!

Here's the link to the pic of the Wagon R involved in the Accident! As usual, the driver of the Tempo is absconding!

http://www.mid-day.com/news/2012/dec...d-accident.htm
The mangled remains of Abhyankar's Wagon-R, which was bought just 10 days ago. (Picture Courtesy: Sakal Papers)
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-abhyankars-wagonr.jpg

Below news courtesy Times News Network:

Actor Anand Abhyankar’s driver, Suresh Patil, who escaped with minor injuries, said he would never forget the incident which claimed the life of his employer.

Patil told TOI that after Abhyankar finished the movie shoot, they returned to Abhyankar’s flat in Dahanukar colony in Kothrud on Sunday night. “Around 10 pm we left for Mumbai. Akshay Pendse, his wife and son were with us,” Patil said.

Patil said that Abhyankar loved to drive. “He was excited about his car which he had bought just 10 days back. He was a very safe driver,” he said. After driving for about a km, Abhyankar told Patil to stop the car at a point where he met an acquaintance. “After that he asked me to sit next to him and took charge of the wheel. I felt like telling him that if he was going to drive the car then were my services needed at all. But, I could not say this to him,” said Patil. Even while coming to Pune in the morning, Abhyankar took charge of the vehicle after crossing the first toll booth.

Patil said that Abhyankar was in his usual jolly mood that day as the two (Pendse and Abhyankar) cracked jokes at each other. “Our car was in the left slow lane at a normal speed. About 10 kms after the toll plaza, we saw a truck breaking the road divider and heading towards us. Abhyankar screamed “Arrey to bagh kay kartoy” (see, what is he doing). Before he could stop or do anything else, the truck crashed into our car,” Patil said.

At first, Patil thought everything was over. When he got back to his senses, he saw Abhyankar had injuries on his head while Pendse too was badly injured. His son also had injuries. “I did not know what to do. I contacted Abhyankar’s wife and informed her about the accident,” Patil said.

Patil said that no one stopped on seeing the accident. “The ambulance reached the spot after 20 minutes and took all of us to a hospital.”
Old 26th December 2012, 12:47   #1547
BHPian

I was travelleing to Mumbai in a chartered Innova on Saturday morning ~6am. The driver took Ravet road (2x2 lane without divider) to reach to E-way. On that Ravet road he was travelling at 80-90kmph when we saw 3-4 cars ahead of us travelling in the "fast lane" at 5-10 kmph with hazzard lights ON. We spotted these cars after finishing a curve. Since it was early morning my driver prepared to overtake them from right going in to the opposite lane. Only when we were 20 meters away from the nearest slow moving car we spotted kids skating along side the cars (on the inside lane). None of the kids were wearing any reflectors on them and one couldnt spot them from a distance. It was very likely that my driver could have chosen to overtake the slow cars from the inside (normal practice in this city/country). I cannot imagine what could have happened!

It looked like a initiative by a group of mindless parents to let their kids skate on a highway without proper arrangements. They shoud have atleast blocked the inside lane by keeping a car behind all kids in that lane. How can any parent put their kid to such a high RISK? I fail to undertand. Obviously they thought putting blinkers ON would instruct all following drivers to overtake from the outside. MORONS!!

Putting blinkers on IS NOT EQUAL to being covered by your guardian angel. How many times we see vehicels parked on the E-way on a blind turn. They put their blinkers on and think that their job is done. {{HIGHLY FRUSTRATING}}

Last edited by ashtorque : 26th December 2012 at 12:52.
ashtorque is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 13:59   #1548
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtorque View Post
I was travelleing to Mumbai in a chartered Innova on Saturday morning ~6am. The driver took Ravet road
That road is very near to the river, and in present climate, that area is covered in dense fog most of the times. A major mishap could have taken place.

O.T:
About the road:
That road is so big that an A320 can definitely make a safe landing over it. Most of the people there are 'Gunthesh' and own very high end vehicles with some unreal power, and have no mercy on 'common' people, as they take off or land.

Cheers,
Abhijeet
Old 26th December 2012, 15:51   #1549
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coriollis View Post
Most of the people there are 'Gunthesh' and own very high end vehicles with some unreal power, and have no mercy on 'common' people, as they take off or land.

Cheers,
Abhijeet
Mate, what is/are these 'Gunthesh' ?
Old 26th December 2012, 16:19   #1550
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
Let me take the liberty of explaining 'Gunthesh' on behalf of Coriollis. These are none other that the erstwhile landlords or farmers, who owned vast tracts of land. Such land parcels have given them unthinkable money & made them filthy rich, such that they treat themselevs Gods:

The Equation is somewhat like this:

"Gunthesh" = "Guntha" + "Esh", where

"Guntha" = Land admeasuring 1000 sqft

"Esh" = "Ish" = Short form for Ishwar (i.e God)
AutoIndian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2012, 16:30   #1551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Let me take the liberty of explaining 'Gunthesh' on behalf of Coriollis. These are none other that the erstwhile landlords or farmers, who owned vast tracts of land. Such land parcels have given them unthinkable money & made them filthy rich, such that they treat themselevs Gods:
Many thanks mate...That was a very detailed explanation.
I am sure all of us have our share of experiences with these so called 'Gods'.
Old 27th December 2012, 10:13   #1552
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofkings View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Let me take the liberty of explaining 'Gunthesh' on behalf of Coriollis.
They also have a hierarchy, well sort of. How to identify them:
White vehicles with dark tints, some random party sticker and a numberplate with the number twisted to say "Raja" or "Dada" or "Boss", white clothes, gold chains, "roybans", and usually sandals. most of the above can have a colour fade. but many of these folks are usually of a skin tone which can have the tagline colour gaya toh paisa waapas (if the colour fades, money returned). I am not being racial here, just my observations:
- Associate/ intern/ newbie: Pulsar. usually those who hang around someone who has just sold his land. also known as chamchas (sycophants). will change loyalty as soon as some one else has sold his land.
- Team Lead: Swift or equivalent
- Assistant Manager: Scorpio or equivalent
- Manager Operations: Fortuner or equivalent. usually has some links to local politicians or goons. which is basically the same thing
- Upper management: Q series or imports.
selfdrive is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th December 2012, 15:39   #1553
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
They also have a hierarchy, well sort of. How to identify them:
- Assistant Manager: Scorpio or equivalent
- Manager Operations: Fortuner or equivalent. usually has some links to local politicians or goons. which is basically the same thing
- Upper management: Q series or imports.
This explanation had me literally rolling on the floor with laughter .
Shared with my colleauges as well and it was well received to say the least.
Thanks again mate.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:28   #1554
Senior - BHPian

Please watch out for a tempo stranded in the middle lane on Nagar road before Kharadi junction while moving towards Yerwada. The front axle on this one is broken and the front right tyre is missing. The hazard is highlighted by the mandatory small branch, which of course is expected to have magical leaves visible from miles away in the darkness!

Also watch out for flyover digging work on the fast lane at various places on Nagar road and at the junction near COEP on NH4 where the Sangamwadi road branches off. There are also some diversions on the Sangamwadi road.

In short the fast lane is not really the fast lane in Pune. It is the blocked lane.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 12:54   #1555
Senior - BHPian

^Good post Selfdrive. I came to this thread to report this and it is already there.
Fortunately the road is broad, so people should be able to spot this easily.

Another query. I got lower arm bushes for my car I need to get them pressed into my older lower arms. Where can I get this done professionally and at a reasonable cost?
Old 4th January 2013, 13:23   #1556
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Another query. I got lower arm bushes for my car I need to get them pressed into my older lower arms. Where can I get this done professionally and at a reasonable cost?
If its your older lower arms some hospital I guess. That would hurt a lot though. If its your car's older lower arms, we need to rethink.
Is it the Cedia?
Old 4th January 2013, 14:01   #1557
Senior - BHPian

^lol.
This is for the Cedia. With the grace of God, all my arms are intact.
Old 18th January 2013, 10:02   #1558
BHPian

Pashan Circus

Anyone see or participate in the Pashan Circus today?

Real stupidity by the pot-bellied powers-that-be has caused mayhem at the Pashan Circle. Traffic heading west is suddenly constricted to one lane, and is now not allowed to continue straight from Pashan Circle. So the swanky cars with their singly populated 9-to-5 warriors decide to take a left onto the NDA road. Oh, but wait, where's the circus part?? The immediately cut back to the right, jump the median to take a U-turn to get back to Pashan Circle so that they can continue west. And literally JUMP the median! I saw a dude (with tie, leash+RFID collar etc) in his blingy blue DZire perched ON THE MEDIAN, waiting for an XUV to get off.

Circuses are fun. Really. And its a Friday!

Cheers,
Rahul

EDIT: No one's ranted here for a while. What, 2013 started off well eh? Selfdrive, whither art thou?

Last edited by voodoochild : 18th January 2013 at 10:04.
voodoochild is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th January 2013, 10:46   #1559
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pashan Circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoochild View Post
Anyone see or participate in the Pashan Circus today?

Real stupidity by the pot-bellied powers-that-be has caused mayhem at the Pashan Circle. Traffic heading west is suddenly constricted to one lane, and is now not allowed to continue straight from Pashan Circle. So the swanky cars with their singly populated 9-to-5 warriors decide to take a left onto the NDA road. Oh, but wait, where's the circus part?? The immediately cut back to the right, jump the median to take a U-turn to get back to Pashan Circle so that they can continue west. And literally JUMP the median! I saw a dude (with tie, leash+RFID collar etc) in his blingy blue DZire perched ON THE MEDIAN, waiting for an XUV to get off.

Circuses are fun. Really. And its a Friday!

Cheers,
Rahul

EDIT: No one's ranted here for a while. What, 2013 started off well eh? Selfdrive, whither art thou?
Agreed. It was all a mess there today morning. However, when we passed at around 9:15 AM, things were moving slowly, but still moving. I don't understand what the hell are they doing at that junction? I see a lot of wood, tar, iron bars and lots of irrelevant stuff.
Old 18th January 2013, 11:04   #1560
BHPian

Re: Pashan Circus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
...we passed at around 9:15 AM, ...I don't understand what the hell are they doing at that junction?
Hey, I too passed exactly at 9:15am! Maybe we passed each other. Did you see a black Roadking with a white racing stripe on the tank?
And yes, it was moving by then, but thats when the fun starts! Everyone standing still isn't a circus, is it?

It looks like they're paving the road. Some work is already done on the west side of the circle but its patchy and extremely shoddy. Well, surprise surprise!

Most Viewed