Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2013, 16:07   #1666
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
So Punekars, how has been the pot-holed journey so far? Its been terrible for me. The route from Warje flyover to Chandani chowk is screwed up like hell. For the < 3 KMs distance, it takes about 20 minutes to 1.5 hrs daily. And the amazing craters near the Wonder-Funkey area are killers, for the vehicles, for the traffic and most importantly, your health. I have not experienced any back pain yet, but the Orthopaedic surgeons and motor garages are doing brisk business these days.

There are two more options for me. Going by the Dahanukar Colony-Kumar Parisar-Paud Road-Chandani Chowk route, but during peak hours, the Kothrud Depot junction gets really messed up. And the last and the worst option is, Karve Road-Law College Road-SB Road-Baner Road, which is unimaginable.

Like my favorite RJ Sangram says, a horse is the best way to commute during rains.
Why dont you try karve road, FC road, Univesity, Baner road. When i used to satay at Karve Nagar, i found this route to be smooth flowing
Old 31st July 2013, 16:34   #1667
BHPian

Quote:
There are two more options for me. Going by the Dahanukar Colony-Kumar Parisar-Paud Road-Chandani Chowk route, but during peak hours, the Kothrud Depot junction gets really messed up. And the last and the worst option is, Karve Road-Law College Road-SB Road-Baner Road, which is unimaginable.

Like my favorite RJ Sangram says, a horse is the best way to commute during rains.
Avoid Kothrud depot junction, I spent 15 min crossing this junction today morning. I thought the traffic signal logic is improved, but not sure it is for better or worse! On my count, the green light stayed on for 90 sec (for going towards Chandani chowk), and red for another 90 sec...

The bypass highway is extremely unpredictable. Any of the two diversions (Baner and Bavdhan) can get choked at any hour. Even google maps goofs up on the traffic situation sometimes...
Old 31st July 2013, 19:09   #1668
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
Have you guys seen this video ?

Police high-handedness or ? Whatever the case , the guy hit a policeman and probably paid a hefty price for it.

From his dressing and the tone of the language he was using, he seemed to be a well-educated person from a decent background.
From the background chatter, it can be gleaned that the incident took place somewhere near the Mumbai-Pune highway.
It would have been interesting to know for what he was stopped. Based on the video i get a feeling that he tried to teach some law to the policeman or tried to drop some names. And then hitting the police fellow was the last straw i guess. Surprised this has not come up on some national news website as of now.

Last edited by amitwlele : 31st July 2013 at 19:11.
Old 1st August 2013, 09:13   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Folks, try and avoid the Swargate/Sarasbaug/Sanas Ground/Mitramandal/Hirabaug area today, unless absolutely necessary.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 1st August 2013, 09:33   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Return of the palkhi?
FC road was jammed at 8am today. I can only imagine it will get worse especially as the left half is occupied by the pilgrims and at some parts people are crowding up and blocking the entire road.
Old 1st August 2013, 09:50   #1671
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
Return of the palkhi?
Don't know about the return of the Palkhi, but the above FB update is for the Lokshahir Annabhau Sathe Jayanti event which takes place near Swargate. I guess processions from all over the city will converge there leading to a "chaos as usual" situation everywhere

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 1st August 2013, 10:10   #1672
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
From his dressing and the tone of the language he was using, he seemed to be a well-educated person from a decent background.
From the background chatter, it can be gleaned that the incident took place somewhere near the Mumbai-Pune highway.
Whatever be the case. Hitting a civilian in public is not warranted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
Surprised this has not come up on some national news website as of now.
So am I. Sharing it on Pune traffic police's FB page (Unless already there).
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 10:15   #1673
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitwlele View Post
It would have been interesting to know for what he was stopped. Based on the video i get a feeling that he tried to teach some law to the policeman or tried to drop some names. And then hitting the police fellow was the last straw i guess. Surprised this has not come up on some national news website as of now.
Maybe the guy tried to contest the what the policeman was telling him, or told him to mind his language.
That irked the policeman, and he started hurling abuses (including the M word) and raised his baton to hit the guy. Being told to speak respectfully (if thats what had happened) is no reason to hit a citizen.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:00   #1674
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Maybe the guy tried to contest the what the policeman was telling him, or told him to mind his language.
That irked the policeman, and he started hurling abuses (including the M word) and raised his baton to hit the guy. Being told to speak respectfully (if thats what had happened) is no reason to hit a citizen.
The guy is at fault too. He'll get charged for assaulting a government servant while performing his duty. But what is important to note is that the cop started beating him up and sweared at him.
Old 1st August 2013, 11:57   #1675
BHPian

Quote:
The route from Warje flyover to Chandani chowk is screwed up like hell. For the < 3 KMs distance, it takes about 20 minutes to 1.5 hrs daily. And the amazing craters near the Wonder-Funkey area are killers.
+1. This is really horrible. This plus abandoned construction at Bavdhan has doubled my travel time. Fortunately, Warje flyover was completed just in time. From last one week, I have given up on bypass highway and started taking city route. Atleast roads are better.

Quote:
You cruel! your life is anyway miserable, why making it miserable for poor horse as well?
Old 1st August 2013, 13:50   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone compiled a list of pot-hole free roads within city limits?
Most of the roads around Kalyani Nagar are in good condition. The road around Ishanya is good partly and average partly.
Both the airport roads are still in good condition. All the roads under defense area (e.g.approaching Lohegaon) are in good condition (including the speadbreakers).
Road from Kharadi to Wagholi/ Lonikand is good as well.

Nagar road between Yerwada and Khardi is overall bad where you will encounter very big potholes all-of-a-sudden. So, trailing behind a vehicle is a strict No.

Please share conditions from other areas.
Old 1st August 2013, 15:45   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Has anyone compiled a list of pot-hole free roads within city limits?
At all the below roads, potholes are free. Free to sprout anywhere. Then some bitumen mix will be poured overnight. The next morning the mix will be all over the place. So now you have potholes and rubble strewn all around.

- Karve Road
- JM Road entire stretch from Sancheti hospital to Deccan
- Nagar road upto Kharadi, even the concrete parts have holes especially heading towards Kharadi.
- Non concrete parts of Sinhagad road
- Old NH4

Admittedly FC road seems to be holding up well till now.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2013, 16:49   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Well it is about quality of material and the right mix.

We have a stretch near Housing board which is absolutely flawless - it was done a few months ago and there isn't a single depression on it yet.

Wish the same contractor did the job elsewhere in Pune.
Old 28th August 2013, 14:14   #1679
Senior - BHPian

Aahh , the day when thugs run the show is tomorrow!
You can see the posters of the Goons (Lovers Group et al..) upto three stories high dotting the skyline , alongside film actresses.
Today morning, they were trying to dig up a perfectly good road near where I live. The iron skeleton of a stage was slowly coming into shape . For a change, I was driving to work today, and was stopped by a rough looking fellow as I neared the stage.
Fellow : "Pudhe Rasta Bandaay.." (The road is closed up ahead).
Me : "Kuthe banday dada, chalu ahe ki.." (Where is it closed, I can clearly see it open , even though their "stage" was taking up more than 70% of the road).
Fellow : "Naai naai banday.." (No its closed).

By this time , a Fiesta driver with ultra dark tints behind me had lost patient , overtook me and went across anyway. Me too simply ignored the fellow and drove right past. Small insignificant thing, but signs of things to come until their stages and pandals are dismantled the day after.
I am more worried about tomorrow , when the groups of ruffians will be out in full force on that very spot.

<Rant over>
Old 28th August 2013, 15:05   #1680
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Aahh , the day when thugs run the show is tomorrow!
Its not a day it will be the next two months!
dahi handi, ganpati, navratri, diwali. celebrating festivals is one thing, but what these people do has very little to do with the festival itself. silly season is upon us already.

As a country, we really do everything on the roads.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks