Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2016, 07:29   #1861
Senior - BHPian

There was this bus waiting next to me at a very busy signal. This particular signal is of a long duration, like 3 digits.

The moment the countdown began, the driver took a water bottle in his hand and started gargling, brushing his teeth with fingers and for all this he wad constantly spitting on the road. The spitting was actually like puking.

When i lost my cool, i honked at the moron. Then he stopped spitting, but was making some hand gestures at me. After a while i came to the left side of this bus and asked him why the hell was he doing all that and has he even heard of Swatcha Bharat movement. He said "Sir i work day and night and i am always travelling. So i do everything in the bus, so i can't help it." So i said, "Are you planning to take bath at Nalstop junction?"

After this dialogue, he got stuck in traffic and i left. Wondering why am I even living here amongst these irresponsible citizens???
ajay_satpute is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 12:33   #1862
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay_satpute View Post
Wondering why am I even living here amongst these irresponsible citizens???
Irresponsible with no civic sense at all ! And this is not limited to bus drivers / working class people. Gentlemen (which they are definitely not) in cars / on motorcycles spit and puke randomly without a thought to the other road users.

And if you happen to honk or take objection, you receive a glare and even abuse as if their fundamental right to spit on the road has been violated. I even have had some moron say to me - "Tumchya angawar tar nahi na thunklo!" (I have not spit on you, have I ?). I was speechless on receiving this answer.
luvDriving is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th February 2016, 13:34   #1863
BHPian

3 weeks back the Lane 8 of Prabhat Road had the top surface of the road 'shaved off' to relay the surface and I guess the work has still not started :(

One side of the Central Mall Lane (parallel to Karve road) is being 'concertized' and closed for traffic coming towards Deccan. You bet.. some people are illiterate and blind and they just ride inspite of the big boards being put at both ends of the construction zone.

This in addition to the 'no right turn' on Karve road is creating complete chaos on adjoining roads. Wonder when will PMC and traffic police sit together and chart out a plan before randomly doing thins independently.

Its not going to be long before my lane gets 'concretized' its going to be 2 months of agony...

Last edited by freedom : 29th February 2016 at 13:37.
Old 18th April 2016, 14:19   #1864
BHPian

Not sure what happened, but there was a massive traffic jam at Shivaji Nagar, took me 1.5 hrs to get from Baner to Shivaji Nagar.
2 Wheeler stunt drivers were trying to squeeze through everywhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_20160418_114616714.jpg  

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_20160418_114629895.jpg  

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_20160418_114633724.jpg  

Ajitsingh208 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 13:10   #1865
Senior - BHPian

One day of Rains and the complete city goes bonkers with respect to traffic. Google Maps showed a web of red today morning, both in the city and in the outskirts.
What is the purpose of having so many underpasses built on the NH4 Bypass ? Especially the one near Wakad Octroi post ? It caused painful congestion for many months and isnt resolving anything at all.
The one near Audi showroom is now dutifully carrying out the responsibility of wasting everyone's time, fuel and energy every day.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 14:19   #1866
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
What is the purpose of having so many underpasses built on the NH4 Bypass ? Especially the one near Wakad Octroi post ? It caused painful congestion for many months and isnt resolving anything at all.
The one near Audi showroom is now dutifully carrying out the responsibility of wasting everyone's time, fuel and energy every day.
@sajo: near Audi showroom is the classic case of service roads not constructed to the same standards as the NH, and sharp turns from/to the main highway make it worse. The top surface has just disappeared!

The underpass at Wakad octroi post is constructed to facilitate right turn (towards Mumbai), coming from Wakad. Due to the construction of one wrong overbridge (Wakad - Hinjawadi), they had to construct two underpasses on either side of it!!
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 15:07   #1867
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschivate View Post
The underpass at Wakad octroi post is constructed to facilitate right turn (towards Mumbai), coming from Wakad. Due to the construction of one wrong overbridge (Wakad - Hinjawadi), they had to construct two underpasses on either side of it!!
Look at the bright side - how much GDP is added because of this (Wakad - Hinjawadi overbridge)!! (a) increased expenditure in constructing two underpasses on either side; (b) perpetual traffic jam leading to more fuel expenditure; (c) poor quality roads leading to potholes which leads to more fuel expenditure and increase in repair bills ......

Jokes apart, every time I use the Nasik Phata - Nigdi grade separator, I curse the m****s who sanctioned the Wakad - Hinjawadi plan.
Old 4th July 2016, 15:21   #1868
BHPian

Quote:
One day of Rains and the complete city goes bonkers with respect to traffic. Google Maps showed a web of red today morning, both in the city and in the outskirts.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Look at the bright side -
Jokes apart, every time I use the Nasik Phata - Nigdi grade separator, I curse the m****s who sanctioned the Wakad - Hinjawadi plan.

I guess all of us are travelling to Hinjewadi from one way or other. Ever noticed the new road that is constructed from the Junction that turns to Mezza9 from Bhumkar chowk & is scheduled to join the existing road next to Eternina ahead of HDFC bank. I dont see any space left on the raod to construct a rotary or a junction to facilitate this merger of new road.

Similarly an additional lane is constructed at Wipro circle. Under ideal scenario it should have been used to facilitate the smooth flow of trafiic for people going to Ph2 or Ph3, but is more used for parking Buses, so called 6 seaters & legendry Cabs. what a waste.

This strech at least need one more lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajitsingh208 View Post
.. 2 Wheeler stunt drivers were trying to squeeze through everywhere...
Just looked at your rear view mirrors in the pic, looks like an entire fleet was trying to follow the stuntmen & take every possible shortcut.

Last edited by saurabh2711 : 4th July 2016 at 15:25.
Old 4th July 2016, 15:39   #1869
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Quote:
@sajo: near Audi showroom is the classic case of service roads not constructed to the same standards as the NH, and sharp turns from/to the main highway make it worse. The top surface has just disappeared!
The one near Audi showroom is being built to facilitate widening the highway to 3-lanes. There is a drainage / canal beneath the location and it has to be redone.

Quote:
What Wakad junction actually needs is a Clover leaf interchange more than anything else. Link.. Rest anything is pure jugaad and doesn't solve any dime of the original issue. Did you see the condition of the service road opposite Ranjai restaurant in Wakad? Some more showers and you'll need to inflate a life raft to wade through it.
moralfibre is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 16:35   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by moralfibre View Post
The one near Audi showroom is being built to facilitate widening the highway to 3-lanes. There is a drainage / canal beneath the location and it has to be redone.
No, the culvert is just a part of the work. If you check the north-bound corridor, you can see 4 columns coming up, which will facilitate another underpass...
sschivate is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2016, 16:58   #1871
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Oh that and the bridge that connects Pashan to Sus. On certain days, this bridge is a nightmare specially after the two ramps that have now been built towards Chandani chowk side to the Highway. Whoever had the brains to design such a narrow bridge needs to be commended. Three lanes of traffic (which becaome 4-5) on pashan-sus road converge to form a single lane on the bridge. On bad days like today, it can take upto 45 minutes to cross it with traffic piling up almost till Balaji chowk. And this is not even a major road .

My office is on top of the Audi showroom (third and fourth floors of the building) and it took more than 2.5 hrs from me to get to office from NIBM road. This despite me giving the bridge a miss by taking bavdhan road from Pashan gaon circle to hit the Highway under the flyover near crystal Honda.
Old 4th July 2016, 19:00   #1872
BHPian

Swargate, Pune

The newly opened Y-shaped flyover at Swargate junction is such a relief ( Jedhe flyover ). It has abated the erstwhile chaos here to a good extent. Those coming from Padmavati / Katraj side intending to go towards Saras baug or Camp/Hadapsar can pass this messy Swargate junction in a jiffy now. This has also resulted in lesser traffic below the flyover. Ideally they should have built another arm for those coming from Hadapsar, wanting to go towards Katraj, but I think I am asking too much.

Pics clicked yesterday at 4.30 pm and 8.00 pm
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_20160701_160749016.jpg  

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img_20160701_211505556.jpg  

vivek95 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 12:08   #1873
BHPian

Given the traffic situation in Pune, I feel its on the brink of an infrastructure (read roads) collapse sooner or later. Absolutely no public transport (if I actually want to get to a place, I will never take the BRTS owing to the frequent breakdowns), higher density of vehicles on the road and haphazard parking. WHat else can you ask for to spend a day on the road esp. on the weekends
Old 5th July 2016, 13:26   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek95 View Post
Swargate, Pune

The newly opened Y-shaped flyover at Swargate junction is such a relief ( Jedhe flyover ). It has abated the erstwhile chaos here to a good extent. Those coming from Padmavati / Katraj side intending to go towards Saras baug or Camp/Hadapsar can pass this messy Swargate junction in a jiffy now. This has also resulted in lesser traffic below the flyover. Ideally they should have built another arm for those coming from Hadapsar, wanting to go towards Katraj, but I think I am asking too much.

Pics clicked yesterday at 4.30 pm and 8.00 pm
I agree with you. The flyover is a relief for those heading from Katraj to Hadapsar. But the road below the flyover while going from Hadapsar towards Katraj has lot of potholes. It was smooth till last week. Four days of rain and it has deteriorated. :banghead:
Ketan T is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2016, 13:53   #1875
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
if I actually want to get to a place, I will never take the BRTS owing to the frequent breakdowns
My commute remains incomplete, unless I come across a broken down PMPML bus (somewhere between two stops and occupying half the carriage way) with a swarm of commuters desperately waiting in the middle of the road to catch the next bus...

Given the chaos and lack of well thought out roads, any vehicle with more than two wheels should be banned in Pune! (if you happen to be on a two wheeler in the underpass at Wakdewadi, and you see a nonchalant SUV coming at you, you'll understand what I am trying to say)
vrprabhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed