Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2016, 22:47   #1921
BHPian

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Anyone been through the Parihar Chowk - Bremen Chowk road recently ?

Some GENIUS wanted to convert that stretch to a promenade (?) and diverted that route through the road that goes by the police lines when you go ahead of Parihar Chowk signal and take an immediate right turn.

But, there is concept and then there is execution!

While coming from Bremen Chowk towards Parihar Chowk (the normal erst while route), almost bumped into the blue blooded royals who want to drive on the wrong side and care two hoots for rules and regulations and common sense.

To HELL with promenade, let us drill some basic driving sense into our heads, first.
sandip is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th October 2016, 23:20   #1922
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post

Some GENIUS wanted to convert that stretch to a promenade (?) and diverted that route through the road that goes by the police lines when you go ahead of Parihar Chowk signal and take an immediate right turn.

While coming from Bremen Chowk towards Parihar Chowk (the normal erst while route), almost bumped into the blue blooded royals who want to drive on the wrong side and care two hoots for rules and regulations and common sense.

To HELL with promenade, let us drill some basic driving sense into our heads, first.
Thats the smart city planned for Pune and let me remind you, Pune was second city in list to have got approval for Smart city implementation.

If this is how smart solutions would be provided to our rising urban problems then less said the best. I don't hold any hopes of our cities getting any better or smarter over years.
Old 14th October 2016, 07:33   #1923
BHPian

We need dedicated paid parking bays in each area. Parking on the road should be 'expensive' for both 2 and 4 wheelers.
Wrong side driving, well apart from being irritating it's pretty dangerous when I am on a bicycle going the right way and s Tata ace come speeding with headlights on in broad day light.
Old 14th October 2016, 11:15   #1924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandip View Post

That is my daily route - I have started using the Baner Road on my return trip home in the evening.

The junction at Police Lines Road and Bremen Chowk is chaos. They need to co-ordinate all three signals immediately.

Yes - who is going to benefit from the promenade, other than few people in the morning and evening? Rest of the time, it is of no use either to the motorist or the pedestrians. Sheer waste of tax payers money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
Thats the smart city planned for Pune

If this is how smart solutions would be provided to our rising urban problems then less said the best.
Hey - how do you expect cities to get 'SMART' when the citizens lack basic civic sense?

The way traffic rules are broken brazenly by youngsters on two wheelers, and the manner in which four wheelers are mushrooming and driven without any regard for traffic sense, all of the 'smart' plans will remain a pipe dream.

Pass University Junction during peak hour, and experience the incessant honking - it will drive you nuts How the hell am I going to reach office and start my work after battling this chaos everyday?

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
(1) We need dedicated paid parking bays in each area. Parking on the road should be 'expensive' for both 2 and 4 wheelers.

(2) Wrong side driving, well apart from being irritating it's pretty dangerous when I am on a bicycle going the right way and s Tata ace come speeding with headlights on in broad day light.
1. +1 to that. There is no fear of illegal parking and double, triple parking is the norm.... god knows where these people learnt that this was acceptable social behaviour.

2. Hey, that is his fundamental right!! And can't you give way seeing the blazing headlights, man? After all, you are cyclist who doesn't pay road tax and what rights do you have???
vrprabhu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 11:58   #1925
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
Hey - how do you expect cities to get 'SMART' when the citizens lack basic civic sense?

The way traffic rules are broken brazenly by youngsters on two wheelers, and the manner in which four wheelers are mushrooming and driven without any regard for traffic sense, all of the 'smart' plans will remain a pipe dream.

Pass University Junction during peak hour, and experience the incessant honking - it will drive you nuts How the hell am I going to reach office and start my work after battling this chaos everyday?
This is what I meant, we need proper engineering solutions with strict vigil that they are followed and adhered to, we are past the threshold where trying to expect civic sense from citizens will solve our piling problems.

I am doing my duty by sticking to lanes and not driving on other side, I have even managed to remain patient in chaotic Hinjewadi traffic but have really not seen any perceptible improvement around. People just jump on every possible opportunity to squeeze them as much as possible in every direction to reach first everywhere.

We need authorities to take action against law breakers rather than just regulate traffic, even Traffic police have least sense when they manage busy junctions and allow every one to cross junction by waving their hands. After some interval there is some Traffic awareness campaign running around with placards and marches, and what has it achieved, unless strict fines and penalty on regular basis are not implemented, civic sense won't be developed. Fear will make us to abide laws.

Why do you think Gotham city crimes were at lowest after Dent Act or Gangsters were wary of Batman around?

Just my opinion.
varunswnt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 12:15   #1926
BHPian

If that is the situation of Smart City dry run in Aundh, I can not imagine how are they going to implement smart city concept on something like Tilak road.
Old 14th October 2016, 12:19   #1927
BHPian

I urge everyone to download the PMC App and file complaints.

I tweet to PMC handle regularly and have got a fairly good response and a followup action on my complaints.

More complaints and suggestions will help build a case.
freedom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th October 2016, 17:02   #1928
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunswnt View Post
I am doing my duty by sticking to lanes and not driving on other side, I have even managed to remain patient in chaotic Hinjewadi traffic but have really not seen any perceptible improvement around. People just jump on every possible opportunity to squeeze them as much as possible in every direction to reach first everywhere.

We need authorities to take action against law breakers rather than just regulate traffic ...... Fear will make us to abide laws.
Hats off to your perseverance. And, also to develop endurance to move your car / bike only after the signal turns green. Because, in Pune, if you are at the front of the queue, every person behind you is intent on honking and ensure that you break the signal!! Even a thick skin won't help you tolerate the comments you'll hear from the riders / drivers behind you.

I remember the days when I used to be scared to break signals while driving in Mumbai as the cops were very vigilant and strict. Sadly, the position now is that their presence induces no fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
If that is the situation of Smart City dry run in Aundh, I can not imagine how are they going to implement smart city concept on something like Tilak road.
Can you visualise Asterix and Obleix commenting on the romans - well, that is the only response I can imagine to this plan
vrprabhu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th October 2016, 11:46   #1929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Whatever "smart city" thing was tried in Aundh with a walking plaza and one-way etc. has been scrapped.
Good! because we can never improve unless we are fined. Just 'asking' to give space to pedestrians is not going to help.

Its weird that I feel safer riding a bicycle than walking on the road (when there is no footpath). Pedestrians are the lowest in the predatory hierarchy of Pune.

Last edited by noopster : 19th October 2016 at 06:06. Reason: B'ca = because. No SMS language please
Old 18th October 2016, 12:02   #1930
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Whatever "smart city" thing was tried in Aundh with a walking plaza and one-way etc. has been scrapped.

Pedestrians are the lowest in the predatory hierarchy of Pune
That was only a trail run.... citizens were expected to give their feedback in the booths which had been set up.

Not just Pune - it is now the same situation in most of the metros and larger cities. Planners are asking you - Why walk when you can ride / drive ?
Old 18th October 2016, 14:59   #1931
BHPian

Quote:
Wrong side driving, well apart from being irritating it's pretty dangerous when I am on a bicycle going the right way and s Tata ace come speeding with headlights on in broad daylight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrprabhu View Post
1. +1 to that. There is no fear of illegal parking and double, triple parking is the norm.... god knows where these people learnt that this was acceptable social behaviour.

2. Hey, that is his fundamental right!! And can't you give way seeing the blazing headlights, man? After all, you are cyclist who doesn't pay road tax and what rights do you have???
Rules are being broken because everyone is a witness that nothing happens to the person breaking the law unless it proves fatal to someone. Cops are just interested in clearing the traffic and why not? They will get a call immediately from higher ups asking why there is so much traffic (when there is a complaint) and if they say they are fining the offenders, they would get an earful which will break their ear drums. Adding to it there are the "local gaonwalas" who care a damn and no matter what, will surely break the rules. Local politics will ensure they are not harmed, not even slapped a fine.

As a part of my job (and personal reasons too), I need to travel towards Hinjewadi and City side too. Baner/Aundh have dedicated 2 wheeler lanes but you can every single day see some idiot get into that lane with his car, only to later realize that he cannot go through. Then the moron would start squeezing into the main lane causing inconvenience to others.

Likewise in Hinjewadi, everyday you will see bikers are car drivers go on the opposite lane from Infy phase 2 to wipro in the morning or form a new 3rd line towards mezza 9 in the morning. Both these instances do nothing but block oncoming traffic and cause more jams. Also mind you these are not illiterate/uneducated people but, well educated, well placed and highly earning individuals who give any shit about the law and rules. Not only this, these idiots also boast of this stupidity as if they did something which the others could not even think off or like that the people following the rules are plain stupid.

The only way to stop this is by fining the offenders even if it is at the cost of a traffic jam. Should Not be a one off but a regular thing for at least a week and just look at the way things will improve. Let people realize that its their actions and not because of anyone else.

Quote:
I urge everyone to download the PMC App and file complaints.
Which app is this specifically? I have a couple of 'em but not sure which one it is. I want to make a suggestion to ban heavy vehicles (except office and Corporation buses) within city limits during peak hours (8-11 Am and 6-9/10PM). These elephants do nothing but slow down traffic to a crawl and they occupy all lanes not letting any other vehicle pass by, pretty much like they do on the E-way.

Quote:
Pedestrians are the lowest in the predatory hierarchy of Pune.
Sorry mate but pedestrians are not blame free either. No matter how big and better an overbridge/underpass you construct, these people will always cross only on the road. Adding to it they cross anywhere at their whims and fancies and not at designated spots with zebra crossings.
Old 22nd October 2016, 20:30   #1932
BHPian

I was at VW workshop today. While I was waiting at the lounge I overheard a conversation between a VW owner and SA.

Apparently the car is exclusively used by his daughter to commute to college. 8km in total per day.
Should I blame the bad public transport or the owner or his daughter?

5 years back 830 am roads used to be 'empty' now I see traffic backlog from Yashada to Univ every day morning.

I foresee Bangalore like grid locks in Pune in the next 2 years.
Old 22nd October 2016, 23:24   #1933
Senior - BHPian

The other day, there was a human chain initiative by Pune Traffic Police to increase traffic awareness.
I could see a long line of people holding hands, and urging people to traffic rules, only to be honked at by hundreds of two wheelers driving on the wrong side and coming right in their paths. Only in Pune.
sajo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 13:30   #1934
BANNED

I am not sure if this has been faced by any other members. I can see it as a new scam played by the ‘puncturewalas’ in the city. May be other members can share their thoughts.

1st instance happened some time back, when I get a sidewall puncture (deliberate action by some kid I think) and I took it to a puncturewala near EON, Kharadi. He showed me, the valve has also had a cut and tried to persuade me to get a tube in the tubeless tire and as per him the valve would cost me 350 for a non-branded one and 500 for branded one. Anyway, I preferred to change the 5 year old tire and went to the MRF center near Viman Nagar, for a tire and valve change, the valve cost me Rs 50/-.
2nd instance, I found the front tire of my bike leaking. Took to another puncturewala in same area, as usual he tried to show me the valve was cut. Someway I saved my bike from him and fixed the tire at another shop (one old patch was leaking).
3rd instance, found car’s front tire flat last Monday, took it to tire shop and guess what, valve was broken. But, this time my last two experiences made me extra vigilant and I could feel, he deliberately bend the valve bit hard and the valve got cut in that process. I told him I have few valve lying with me at home and I can get it and asked him to check for any puncture, but the guy, stubbornly did not check the tire insisting on changing the valve.
I am planning to go to the MRF store again and purchase few valves and keep in the car.
Anyone also have similar experience? This is disgusting. I don’t think I have enough time and enthusiasm to go and fight with a puncturewala. I already have a car tire inflator, maybe I will buy a digital pressure meter and a puncture repair kit. But are we came down to such level that expecting a fare service is impossible?
PetrolRider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2016, 13:35   #1935
BHPian

Quote:
5 years back 830 am roads used to be 'empty' now I see traffic backlog from Yashada to Univ every day morning.

I foresee Bangalore like grid locks in Pune in the next 2 years.
True Dat. I always tell my colleagues and friends that looking at the way the city is going Pune is soon in for an infra collapse. Going city side on weekends is a big pain and is generally more crowded than weekdays

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
I am not sure if this has been faced by any other members. I can see it as a new scam played by the ‘puncturewalas’ in the city. May be other members can share their thoughts.
Nothing new. A very old con these guys pull. Many forums including ours have dedicated threads on this. Guys on bikes/walks point out that the air is low. You rush to the nearest tire shop and the guy says its a puncture. He removes the tire to check and you find more than 1 puncture at multiple spots. He fleeces you, and you you come home a happy customer. Many many many people are getting fleeced by these guys everyday
centaur is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks