Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2017, 11:30   #1981
BANNED

re: Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
So whenever it rains, our beloved city immediately transforms into a spiderweb of red.
Luckily, I learned from past mistakes and was able to get out of office just when the rain started. Crossed the Viman nagar stretch of Nagar road with full flooding but less traffic.

Why do people turn their hazard lights in rain? Do they prefer to celebrate Christmas in heavy rain or they just anticipate that their car will anyhow stall in the water puddles?
Old 15th June 2017, 11:43   #1982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Why do people turn their hazard lights in rain?
Logic I got told is that it increases visibility a lot more in rains. The same is the case with people entering tunnels on the Eway. Many of them switch on the hazard lamps. I never do so either in rains or tunnels. At best, I just switch on the fog lamps
Old 15th June 2017, 12:12   #1983
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Logic I got told is that it increases visibility a lot more in rains. The same is the case with people entering tunnels on the Eway. Many of them switch on the hazard lamps. I never do so either in rains or tunnels. At best, I just switch on the fog lamps

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetrolRider View Post
Why do people turn their hazard lights in rain? Do they prefer to celebrate Christmas in heavy rain or they just anticipate that their car will anyhow stall in the water puddles?

That's what happens when knowledge is transferred to normal folks by truck drivers and auto wallahs. This is few of the many idiotic things that happen on our roads. Hazard lights increase visibility of your car in such situations. Yes, but it also blinds the other parts apart from your car because of the massive reflections that happen in rain and fog with that orange light. No one cares. Then there are people who have one side indicator on to warn the incoming traffic of their extreme car edge. Not realizing that indicators are also meant to give direction of turn.
I often feel we are the most intelligent species on earth, who can even differentiate between indicator for edge detection vs turn. So much for autonomous cars in the world. That's AI of next level.
justwheels is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th June 2017, 13:11   #1984
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Isn't the hazard lights are there to notify a hazard, meaning the vehicle is immobile or very close to that?

A simple working parking light (if the car doesn't have a fog light) and working reflectors do the visibility part pretty well. By putting on hazard lights one confuses the other road travelers and also restrict communication regarding one's intent to turn or change lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
That's what happens when knowledge is transferred to normal folks by truck drivers and auto wallahs. This is few of the many idiotic things that happen on our roads. Hazard lights increase visibility of your car in such situations. Yes, but it also blinds the other parts apart from your car because of the massive reflections that happen in rain and fog with that orange light. No one cares. Then there are people who have one side indicator on to warn the incoming traffic of their extreme car edge. Not realizing that indicators are also meant to give direction of turn.
I often feel we are the most intelligent species on earth, who can even differentiate between indicator for edge detection vs turn. So much for autonomous cars in the world. That's AI of next level.
Cant agree more to this. I even seen people with suits in their Merc doing the same here. It is high time, the way it is mandatory now to buy helmet with 2 wheeler, it should be made mandatory to pass a road general knowledge quiz before buying cars.
Old 7th August 2017, 16:23   #1985
BHPian

Admins if you think , the post is not suitable here please remove

Recently saw a tweet by the elected MP from Pune showing the map of 3 level flyover which will be constructed at Chandani Chowk. Looking at the map and the way construction proceeds, there will be major traffic snarls
Attached Thumbnails
Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-c-chowk-plan.jpeg  

mm403 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st August 2017, 20:47   #1986
Senior - BHPian

Received the attached via WhatsApp.

Pune : Roads, traffic conditions, route queries and other assorted rants-img20170821wa0006.jpg

The gist seems to be as below

1)Vehicles coming from Pune can't go straight from Wakad "Y" junction towards Jagtap dairy Chowk/Ravet.They have he to take Hinjawadi road and come via Kaspate Chowk

2) Vehicles coming from Shivar Chowk can't take right at Jagtap dairy Chowk to go to Kalewadi/Ravet. They have to go straight on Hinjewadi road and take U turn at Savitribai Phule Garden

3) Vehicles coming from Kalewadi/Ravet, can't go straight at Jagtap dairy Chowk. They have to take right at Jagtap dairy Chowk and go via Kaspate Chowk.

Not sure how much to go by this. Anyone else heard about it?
Old 21st August 2017, 21:28   #1987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm403 View Post
Admins if you think , the post is not suitable here please remove

Recently saw a tweet by the elected MP from Pune showing the map of 3 level flyover which will be constructed at Chandani Chowk. Looking at the map and the way construction proceeds, there will be major traffic snarls
Now that is one thing which we don't want on the NH4!
When you arrive towards Chandni Chowk from Mumbai direction, there is hardly any space for diversion. So where will these guys put that up is anybody's guess.
Old 22nd August 2017, 15:36   #1988
BHPian

Also read in the newspapers recently that the flyovers at Nal stop have been approved and work is to begin shortly !

Are they proposing to join the flyover to the paud road or is the plan to cause more bottlenecks and pain in the neck issues for Kothrud / Paud road residents coming from Deccan, that was not specified.

BTW the short stretch of road from poolgate to golibar maidan chowk has been badly out of shape for quite some time now.
Old 22nd August 2017, 16:19   #1989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
1)Vehicles coming from Pune can't go straight from Wakad "Y" junction towards Jagtap dairy Chowk/Ravet.They have he to take Hinjawadi road and come via Kaspate Chowk

2) Vehicles coming from Shivar Chowk can't take right at Jagtap dairy Chowk to go to Kalewadi/Ravet. They have to go straight on Hinjewadi road and take U turn at Savitribai Phule Garden

3) Vehicles coming from Kalewadi/Ravet, can't go straight at Jagtap dairy Chowk. They have to take right at Jagtap dairy Chowk and go via Kaspate Chowk.

Not sure how much to go by this. Anyone else heard about it?
This is 100% true and has been effective since yesterday. The impact was so bad that there were traffic jams from Infy circle in Hinjewadi till Sanghvi/Aundh Phata. So basically while going from Aundh to Pimple Saudagar, you now need to compulsorily take the left to Hinjewadi which goes through Vishal Nagar. You then travel all the way till Kaspate Chowk and take a right at that chowk to go towards the Jagtap dairy signal.

Now, given the excellent on road mannerisms and lane discipline that the people driving in Pune have, people taking a left at Kaspate chowk ended up blocking the on coming lane and likewise. It was a horrible situation yesterday. Hopefully people would be a bit more understanding today
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 15:51   #1990
BHPian

There is news that PMC is planning a Grade Separator at Golf Club Chowk to ease traffic congestion. While this may be a good long term solution, it may not be easy to divert traffic from this intersection during the construction.

I am proposing a very simple solution that could be immediately applied with minimum cost of implementation. It could be also used to streamline flow during the construction phase of the grade separator.

More details on my blogpost: https://smjoshi.wordpress.com/2017/0...e-traffic-jam/

Would love to get comments from this forum to help improve the situation at this important intersection where many hours are wasted annually.
shajoshi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 17:11   #1991
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
There is news that PMC is planning a to ease traffic congestion. While this may be a good long term solution, it may not be easy to divert traffic from this intersection during the construction.

I am proposing a very simple solution that could be immediately applied with minimum cost of implementation. It could be also used to streamline flow during the construction phase of the grade separator.

Would love to get comments from this forum to help improve the situation at this important intersection where many hours are wasted annually.
I think there will be conflict. Those who have to take right turn, particularly those coming from Airport and going towards Sangamwadi, will have to cut across the straight going traffic coming from their left in order to turn left..
CANPUSH is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 18:07   #1992
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shajoshi View Post
The main problem as I see it at that junction is the additional lanes blocked by drivers wanting to turn right towards Business Bay. Similar situation is seen at Viman nagar chowk at Nagar road, the mess at Shastri nagar chowk, Deccan bus stand, Nal stop, probably just every other signal in Pune.

Till we have lane discipline, no amount of flyovers, grade separators, one ways or traffic re routing will help.
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2017, 20:29   #1993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANPUSH View Post
I think there will be conflict. Those who have to take right turn, particularly those coming from Airport and going towards Sangamwadi, will have to cut across the straight going traffic coming from their left in order to turn left..
I have observed very few vehicles do that. Most Airport to Holkar bridge traffic avoids this intersection and goes via Vishrantwadi. There is the option to use the Yerwada Jail road to get to Holkar Bridge as well.
Old 30th August 2017, 15:23   #1994
BHPian

Just another common street experience.

I was patiently waiting for the Red signal to turn Green and then there stops a TVS Jupiter with 3 teenage college kids on it.

Then the third kid who is not riding the bike says, "Arey kya??" (Why did you stop?)
Still the kid riding does not budge. And then the third says to the middle one "Arey Yeda ho gaya hai kya ye?" (Is he mad to stop at the Red light?)

The middle one tells the one riding the bike to go and then they jump the lights and buzz out.

Moral of the story- Two buffoons overpowered that one good thing the kid was doing.
aghate is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th August 2017, 16:48   #1995
BHPian

Yesterday while going back from work, a kid driving a creta almost crashed into me head on because he was on the opposite road and had no indicators/hazard lamps on. The car had typical signs of a localite vehicle with vernacular number plates, political symbols and dark tainted glasses. Initially I couldn't see who was in the car but later the could see clearly when took a left (my left) into a field. The kid was surely around 8-9 years old and was in a semi seated position (when your legs dont reach the A-B-C pedals) and there was another kid in the passenger seat who was maybe around 5 years old. God forbid, but had the crash actually happened then I surely would have been in deep trouble for no fault. This has become a regular scene in many places in Pune with cops doing absolutely nothing about it
centaur is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks