Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th May 2013, 22:23   #31
BHPian

Aayush, that really blows man. Did you not have any sort of sensor/security system installed?

Also, quickdraw, how did the alarm not sound when the glass was broken? Is it some sort of oversight on the manufacturer's part or..? I have AutoCop installed on both cars, so is there anything more that I should do?

I feel your pain - the entire ICE was stolen from my M800 a few years ago. Of course, the job was a lot easier then, pull out the beading along the rear windshield, reach in to unlock the door, and voila! Bobs your uncle.

Have you got a new HU installed yet, and have you insured it?
Old 27th May 2013, 08:46   #32
BHPian

Re: Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbelAFC View Post
Aayush, that really blows man. Did you not have any sort of sensor/security system installed?

Also, quickdraw, how did the alarm not sound when the glass was broken? Is it some sort of oversight on the manufacturer's part or..? I have AutoCop installed on both cars, so is there anything more that I should do?

I feel your pain - the entire ICE was stolen from my M800 a few years ago. Of course, the job was a lot easier then, pull out the beading along the rear windshield, reach in to unlock the door, and voila! Bobs your uncle.

Have you got a new HU installed yet, and have you insured it?
Hi Abel,

It's a very sad thing to see something like happen to our cars.

I was very lucky that the Head-unit wasnt stolen, and the car already has a security system (immobilizer with floating key & central lock) - but no alarm (a feature not available on the Ambiente version)
I'm on the lookout for one now with an interior monitor.
You should just check the specs to confirm if it does have an interior monitor; most of the times they do, they go off with the slightest disturbance. So you should be sorted.

The thieves were definitely novices as they took some 10 bucks in loose change from the front cup-holders but they didnt take the head unit. I'm thinking they didnt know to remove it.
What could've been another deterrent is the fact that once the doors of my car are locked from outside they wont open even from the inside - so this could've made their job a lot tougher.

Anyway, i'm still in shock to see something like this happen to my beauty - alls well now though.

Cheers,
Aayush.
Old 15th June 2013, 23:43   #33
Senior - BHPian

The most secure option even today is to go for a head unit with a detachable front plate, and take the front plate with you everytime you park your car in a public place. Since the unit is useless without the front plate, it serves as a big visual deterrant for the prospective thief from breaking into your car.
Old 16th June 2013, 09:31   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
The most secure option even today is to go for a head unit with a detachable front plate, and take the front plate with you everytime you park your car in a public place. Since the unit is useless without the front plate, it serves as a big visual deterrant for the prospective thief from breaking into your car.
I totally second you on that! I've started to remove my HU from the car everytime she's parked on the street.

Cheers,
Aayush.
Old 12th August 2013, 17:31   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post

Unfortunately, removing the front panel also doesn't do much good. This incident occurred earlier in the year from my building in Shivaji Park, so thought of sharing as I stumbled upon this thread.

I ALWAYS remove the front panel whether heading to office, home or even when out for a movie. Despite this, the entire unit (without the front panel) was stolen. It was stolen from the car parked inside my building with the watchman sleeping (I guess!!).

The thief was forgiving, as he did not break the glass but removed the beading from the privacy glass on the rear door and left it below the car (was able to get the same fixed again from the service center). He simply managed to unlock the rear door and then the front door and this too without kicking of the alarm. I would have realized if the alarm went off as I stay on the third floor and the car is parked right below my bedroom window.

Went and filed a police complaint, to which they suggested I go to Sion and find another unit for cheap as normally only front panels are stolen and rear units are useless while buying new units. And yes, they were right as I got a rear unit for really throw away price (1000/-) with installation.

Have attached below image only for representation purposes, not my car pic.

Also, 6 other cars were broken into the same night in our vicinity from buildings that have watchmen.
Attached Thumbnails
Head Unit Theft, commonplace in Mumbai-fordfiesta.jpg  

Old 12th August 2013, 20:54   #36
BHPian

Where in shivaji park ? My in laws too live there . The wagon r is parked there .
Old 12th August 2013, 21:38   #37
BHPian

In the lane behind Catering College (off Cadelle Road). However, this was sometime back and honestly, this is a practice common across the city.

I remember a couple of months back, there was a person who got busted while in the act (near Shivaji Park again) and he kept on pleading to be handed over to the police. That's when someone actually recognized him as one of the folks who works on the towing van in the area.

It doesn't take much to realize, the local cops and these folks operate in mutual agreement.
Old 22nd August 2013, 20:33   #38
BHPian

A similar incident happened to my car when it was almost brand new i.e just covered 2-3 K kms. It was parked near my house on the road and the next morning I see is the front passenger glass broken and the theives had tried to take the factory stereo system which they were unable to plug out, but in the process they had screwed the AC Vents on the center facia.

Had to reinstall the front passenger glass along with 3M sunfilm to retain the normal looks along with the AC vents, also it pushed me to get the overall ICE changed to the one where I can take away the front facia - well it pushed me to get a better ICE installed asap which I was contemplating in couple of months down the line.

Mods please move this thread or delete as appropriate as this incident is from Delhi.

Last edited by invincible7 : 22nd August 2013 at 20:36.
Old 28th October 2013, 16:35   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
The thief was forgiving, as he did not break the glass but removed the beading from the privacy glass on the rear door
I don't know how the thief was able to unlock the door without tripping the alarm but do get the alarm checked - it seems as though the burglar removed the rear quarter glass and unlocked the door to open it. I've seen several after-market AutoCop alarms fitted onto Maruti Suzuki cars and if the door handle is pulled either from the outside or from the inside without first using the central unlocking on the remote, the alarm is triggered. The sound of the alarm usually frightens away the burglars, though one should avoid approaching the vehicle alone at night when the alarm is triggered because what started off as a burglary case could turn into a kidnapping case.

Does anyone have a Cerberus car alarm installed? How do those compare to the AutoCop alarms?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks