Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2011, 14:48   #16
BHPian

Re: Advice needed on hit and run case involving my wife!

Thank god your wife escaped with some injuries, it could have been worse. I can understand your anger against Innova guy.

About pursing the culprit, though you have every right to do so and therotically it is possible, but the way things move in India, practically it is very different. Unless you have some local connections or you are ready to spend lots of your time into this, I would suggest you to just forget this bad incident and move on with life. More so since we are not 100% sure about vehicle identity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajinibm View Post

Then suddenly last week my wife who had gone for a check up, while coming back saw this innova and she was sure it was the same as the number what the people had given was KA-0**-**-1185 but the real number was KA-**-**-185.
Let me share a real life incident. One of my friend owning white Swift was also wrongly caught in such situation. Someone driving a white swift (having almost identical regn no) hit a passer by and fled. A witness noted the car number and gave it to victim and police. Just like in your case, there was minor mistake in noting down the number and it matched exactly with my frined's car. To top it all, car model and color was also similar (remember Swift diesel is very popular and again white is a common color). So police charged my friend for this incident. Now this guy handled situation very well. He argued police that his car doesn't have a single scratch. Also he went to both MASS that we have in town to check if any car with similar specs had gone under some body work. To his luck, there was one white swift with almost matching number, undergoing repairs. He provided this info to police, also pulling some strings from top police officials helped. This way he got his name cleared from the case.
kamboj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th June 2011, 16:44   #17
Senior - BHPian

If all you want to do is teach him a lesson, post his exact details on TBHP and we will make sure he and everyone he knows gets to know about his driving habits and how he could've cost a life with his stupidity. Its the era of social media. Why even consider shuttling MAA-BLR?

@Kamboj: VERY smart friend of yours. Good thing I bought a unique car. I am far worried about being implicated for others' errors!

Last edited by phamilyman : 15th June 2011 at 16:45.
Old 15th June 2011, 19:27   #18
dot
Senior - BHPian

@rajinibm,

Thank goodness your wife is safe.

IMO, you should just give the suspect Innova number to Police and let them handle it. We cannot be "Batman" and run our investigations or seek revenge. I know your intention is not revenge, but lets say the suspect Innova is not the real guy, you will put that person in undue trouble. Lets say the fellow is the real culprit, who better to handle it than the Police.

I have put lot of faith on Police on this post. In reality, dealing with them is really draining on mind and body. But since you have the urge, this might be the best method.
Old 16th June 2011, 07:16   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

I am very sorry to hear this my friend. Hope your wife recovers soon.

You have a case, provided the following conditions are met:

1. You have registered an FIR/case stating Innova, Color, reg number (could be wrong), exact location of the incident and time.

2. Have a good lawyer and witness that will support you.

3. The trick is to establish that the "corrected" reg number owner/driver was carrying a cell phone that proves that he was at that location at the time of the incident.

Now the bad news:
1. The law is not very strict in punishing such offenses and police always try to make money off both parties.
2. Assuming that your wife has recovered and bike has been repaired by now, the police will not see it as a serious case.

My suggestion would be:
Engage a lawyer at least to establish that the said vehicle/owner was in the accident area at the accident time (using cell phone details). This can only be done by police and it is not that simple to get them do it, especially after a long gap. Still worth trying, at least you would know the truth. Don't have high expectations on the punishment - it will be at best be an harassment and some compensation - you can at least make him attend court sessions!

Last edited by androdev : 16th June 2011 at 07:17.
Old 11th July 2012, 15:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

Sorry to reply to an old thread. I had to reply because it might help others in similar misfortune.

If you had the vehicle number with you, for a small fee (RTO) you can get information regarding the name of the owner and his residential address. There after by googling or basic search you can find out about his profession, his work place, family members etc.

Using his work place/profile/family it is easy to make this person understand that he has performed a hit and run, and if he doesn't compensate for medical expenses he could be in big social/professional/legal trouble. This should set most of the guys right. Of course if the vehicle belonged to goons/politicians/police (all are same) then too bad for you

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks