Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2012, 11:32   #136
Senior - BHPian

Re: Four-year dream run comes to an end - Laura L&K accident

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybee View Post
The discipline that you have mentioned is actually a combination of different factors. The safety of the car and its occupants and the unpleasantries involved in any accident, minor or major, always make me take my foot off the accelerator every time I am tempted to go fast. I do try and test the car sometimes to see the limits it can be pushed to, but I believe I have never really found that limit. I back off way before it. So the predominant emotion present here is that of fear.
One thing I learnt quickly in my about 20+ years behind the wheel. Never give in to fear. If you are afraid of driving (be it any reason, may be the weather, the people in your car, the traffic) back off and hand over the wheel to someone else or stop and gather yourself.

It is also useful to develop a skill which I call as marking the stage. In the two dimensional road view ahead, to your sides and behind you, everytime you plan a move (say overtake, slowdown, turn left or right), please look ahead, left mirror, right mirror and rearview. You will know who all are around you. Then plan your move with respect to anticipating how the affected parties may react and also factor in for their slow reaction, allowing them escape/runoff areas. When you are satisfied that all will be safe with your planned moves, then go ahead and perform your actions.

I know all this sounds of too much planning and lot of time, but trust me, with practice, you would be doing all this at a subconsious level, in microseconds and driving in a safe, smooth and seamless manner.

Lastly, as long as you are not constantly accelerating, slowing down, holding to high speeds is far safer. When you are on any road, you automatically come to know of the safe speed on that road, for that day. The safe speed is that speed where in you are not slowing down, accelerating, changing gears constantly and no one is honking/flashing at you from behind. It may be 120kmph today and may be only 80kmph tomorrow. When you find the safe speed, stick to it as closely as possible. You will see that your average time comes down, your family will thank you for smooth driving and you will save fuel. Cheers
apachelongbow is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th August 2012, 11:49   #137
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
Update after a long time:

Two things that dragged forever:

1. Transfer of the car ownership. The garage owner who bought the car never gave me papers (I also did not insist in the beginning and got tired of follow up later on). He took nearly a year to repair and sell the car. I took a third-party insurance even after selling the car to the garage owner just to be on the safe side. As you know, the ownership will change only when the garage owner manages to sell it to some real buyer.
2. The auto-driver who got injured in the accident went to the motor accidents claims tribunal and made a claim for 10odd lacs. In July this year, the court gave a judgement granting him a claim of Rs 20,000 or so (because he did not have a strong case).

So this chapter in my life is finally closed for good. Phew!

I would like to update this thread with some of the legal stuff based on my experience - it will be a bit slow as it is a busy month.

Always ensure that the vehicle has a valid insurance and the driver has a valid driving license. To be honest, I never bothered to check license of the driver I have employed!

Here is the legal notice I got from ICICI in their last ditch attempt to deny their liability:
One by one:
a) You 'SOLD' the car as is to the garage owner. Selling a vehicle involves filling up that form 15, which by itself relieves you of any responsibility of your old car. So its not true that unless garage owner sells the car to a private party you will be liable for the car. What if the garage owner planted bombs in your car and exploded it in a busy place? Without the transfer certificate you my friend would be tried for terrorism. So please be careful on this point.

b)Auto driver making claims against you made no sense. You have a valid third party insurance. Your insurer ICICI would make the relevant payments. How can they involve you in it? Motor vehicle tribunal should have recongnized and rectified this gross error. I hope you didnt pay the auto guy Rs 20,000 from your pocket!!!

c) Good to know you have checked the credentials of your driver now. Better late than never. It is also a safe idea to have him examined every year for hearing, eyesight etc to keep your family safe. Also credentials and address proofs of all domestic help should be lodged at your local police station along with photographs. We do it at our house. It just protects your family

d) The forms are standard polices of any insurance company. All documentary proofs should be submitted within 15 working days to process a claim. Thats why a FIR becomes so necessary.
apachelongbow is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th May 2018, 16:58   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apachelongbow View Post
One thing I learnt quickly in my about 20+ years behind the wheel. Never give in to fear. If you are afraid of driving (be it any reason, may be the weather, the people in your car, the traffic) back off and hand over the wheel to someone else or stop and gather yourself.

It is also useful to develop a skill which I call as marking the stage. In the two dimensional road view ahead, to your sides and behind you, everytime you plan a move (say overtake, slowdown, turn left or right), please look ahead, left mirror, right mirror and rearview. You will know who all are around you. Then plan your move with respect to anticipating how the affected parties may react and also factor in for their slow reaction, allowing them escape/runoff areas. When you are satisfied that all will be safe with your planned moves, then go ahead and perform your actions.

I know all this sounds of too much planning and lot of time, but trust me, with practice, you would be doing all this at a subconsious level, in microseconds and driving in a safe, smooth and seamless manner.

Lastly, as long as you are not constantly accelerating, slowing down, holding to high speeds is far safer. When you are on any road, you automatically come to know of the safe speed on that road, for that day. The safe speed is that speed where in you are not slowing down, accelerating, changing gears constantly and no one is honking/flashing at you from behind. It may be 120kmph today and may be only 80kmph tomorrow. When you find the safe speed, stick to it as closely as possible. You will see that your average time comes down, your family will thank you for smooth driving and you will save fuel. Cheers
Agreed! This planning is now second nature to me. Be it the highway or B2B traffic.
Old 18th May 2018, 12:26   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Update after a long time:

More to come..
Hey Androdev,

I came across your thread. I know, it's almost closing in to be a decade old ordeal but I still feel for your loss & glad that no one was hurt.

I'm still waiting for "more to come...".
Old 30th March 2022, 10:36   #140
BHPian

Quote:
The median is totally damaged and steel barrier bent, etc. The road construction contractor logged a complaint at the same police station claiming some 20K worth of damages.
Sorry, reviving a really old thread, but I got to this from androdev's what car thread.

Can a road contractor even do that ? This is the first I am hearing of it. By the very definition of it being a barricade in the road, it runs the risk of being damaged. Any accidental damages to the road infrastructure will be paid for and repaired by the town council, no ? Isn't that why we pay taxes for ?
SR-71 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2022, 13:21   #141
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR-71 View Post
Sorry, reviving a really old thread, but I got to this from androdev's what car thread.

Can a road contractor even do that ? This is the first I am hearing of it. By the very definition of it being a barricade in the road, it runs the risk of being damaged. Any accidental damages to the road infrastructure will be paid for and repaired by the town council, no ? Isn't that why we pay taxes for ?
That is what we mean by third party damage liability. Parties don't claim because it's nearly impossible to get 3rd party claims approved in our country. In any case, your insurance will deal with it and you as the vehicle owner is not liable to pay anything.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed