GTO
Team-BHP Support

Re: Your biggest fear while riding / driving

Mod Note: Thread merged & open for discussion again
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 13:14   #92
BHPian

Jaywalkers and unmarked speedbumps are the things I fear most.
And yes errant two wheeler drivers.
Drive on BLR-Chennai NH and you will know what I mean. Out of nowhere you see three guys on a bike with designer sun shades but no helmets in the wrong way and giving you the creepy look if you dare to honk.
Old 28th November 2014, 15:47   #93
Senior - BHPian

I'm a very cautious & defensive driver, maintain my car in A1 shape so honestly don't have any fear when driving. I mean I enjoy being on the road as much as I can and take umpteen long road trips which might be called a little impractical when you see fuel costs/distance etc.

I've seen & read enough to know that I'm always at risk when out on the road so all I do is ensure that I'm completely focused when driving. Its more of being prepared rather than fear with me.

However, its when I'm sitting in a car with someone else driving that my fears come out. My office provides cabs for pickup and drop daily so I have a great fear of tyre blowouts (we all know how well-maintained the office cabs are). In fact our cab had a tyre blowout a couple of months back but that was the rear tyre and we were doing 60-70 kmph in an Innova, no issues whatsoever.

To reach my office we have to ply on Greater Noida expressway and since the speed limit is 100 kmph I can't really do much but people who know this area would know that even 100 kmph on this stretch can prove fatal.

The office cab drivers tailgate like crazy and I'm done trying to educate them about the dangers of tailgating. When in office cabs I'm in a constant state of extreme panic & fright.
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 16:21   #94
BHPian

I fear:
1. Sitting in rear passenger seat as I do not know if the driver is defensive or one with a short fuse when it comes to driving in India
2. While driving, oncoming vehicles high beam. I cant see clearly due to the high beam on my face and I m scared I ll hit something/go out of road. On a lighter vein, I think those oncoming vehicles want to see my face rather than road :P
3. Driving parallel to private buses/BMTC buses in city
4. I jump off my seat if anyone even thinks of touching/resting their hands on the hand brake
Old 28th November 2014, 16:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fine69 View Post
However, its when I'm sitting in a car with someone else driving that my fears come out. My office provides cabs for pickup and drop daily so I have a great fear of tyre blowouts (we all know how well-maintained the office cabs are). In fact our cab had a tyre blowout a couple of months back but that was the rear tyre and we were doing 60-70 kmph in an Innova, no issues whatsoever.

To reach my office we have to ply on Greater Noida expressway and since the speed limit is 100 kmph I can't really do much but people who know this area would know that even 100 kmph on this stretch can prove fatal.

The office cab drivers tailgate like crazy and I'm done trying to educate them about the dangers of tailgating. When in office cabs I'm in a constant state of extreme panic & fright.
Have you considered sitting in a seat that you have access to a seat belt? Push admin / bribe drivers to get the seatbelt.

I'm always belted in any car that I travel in, including ola etc even if I sit in the navigator seat.
phamilyman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 16:58   #96
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Have you considered sitting in a seat that you have access to a seat belt? Push admin / bribe drivers to get the seatbelt.

I'm always belted in any car that I travel in, including ola etc even if I sit in the navigator seat.
I belt up at every opportunity I get but when I have to sit in the middle on the last seat in Innova I don't have the option to belt up sadly. A couple of cars don't have the middle belt in the middle seat also.

You would be suprised if I told you the reaction I get when I belt up, its like everybody is calling me a wuss but I'd want to see who is smiling the day the car goes down the ditch, the way these guys drive its highly likely.

But let me say that our company only keeps Innovas and Xylos which are less than 3 years old. I see other company cabs in the campus I'm in and those Sumos are like death traps. 4 people on the side facing rear benches in Sumo, no seat belts in the middle seat (taken out or something), its a nightmare!!
fine69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th November 2014, 18:50   #97
BHPian

Re: Whats your biggest fear while driving on highway and city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by venuvedam View Post
This exact thing happened a couple of years ago on the Nellore-Gudur stretch of NH5. A couple driving sedately in their BMW from Nellore towards Gudur - had no chance - when a truck on the other side of the road lost control; went over the divider and practically ended up "on" the BMW.

Both of them died instantly.
So sedate driving too can be fatal. I personally feel spirited driving is more safe than sedate because u are more cautious and more conscious of yourself and surrounding vehicles.
Old 28th November 2014, 19:34   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I belt up at every opportunity I get but when I have to sit in the middle on the last seat in Innova I don't have the option to belt up sadly. A couple of cars don't have the middle belt in the middle seat also.

You would be suprised if I told you the reaction I get when I belt up, its like everybody is calling me a wuss but I'd want to see who is smiling the day the car goes down the ditch, the way these guys drive its highly likely.
I am not surprised. Kudos on swimming against the tide.

Life's too short to eradicate stupidity among everyone, just enough to keep oneself safe!
Old 29th November 2014, 15:33   #99
BHPian

There are somethings that always scare me when I get into a car to drive.

1. The typical irresponsible Indian who might either be driving a car/bike/auto and who swerves suddenly on his whim.
2. The drivers who rush in and try to squeeze the non existing place adjacent to the car
3. And the unsuspecting potholes that take care of the Wheel alignment and Tyre pressures.
Old 29th November 2014, 18:18   #100
Senior - BHPian

Would this be a fear to any of you?

Placing these traffic cones as an alternate to divider can prove hazardous. The moment I realized that if an oncoming car hits one of this it's going to come flying at me, I decided to shift to the left lane.

I'm not sure if you guys call me paranoid but display of such intelligence by traffic cops makes me frightful for sure.
Attached Thumbnails
Your biggest fear while riding / driving-1417264981652.jpg  

Old 30th November 2014, 01:16   #101
Senior - BHPian

My biggest fear is definitely a pedestrian or biker getting run over by my car due to their own negligence or lack of attention and not being able to stop my car in time. After reading about cases where bikers have been run over after having an accident on the opposite side of the road and flying over the divider and then getting run over. The driver who does the running over always has a case slapped against him even though he is clearly not at fault. It is harder to avoid something coming from the opposite direction than on the same side as time taken for the collision is lesser.
I for one would not be happy with a manslaughter case filed against me in such a situation.
Is there any way to get such charges dropped or cleared ? Any legal precedence ?
Old 30th November 2014, 09:16   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Would this be a fear to any of you?

Placing these traffic cones as an alternate to divider can prove hazardous. The moment I realized that if an oncoming car hits one of this it's going to come flying at me, I decided to shift to the left lane.

I'm not sure if you guys call me paranoid but display of such intelligence by traffic cops makes me frightful for sure.
I agree !
That is a potential hazard lying in open which can pose a grave threat to the vehicles.
Those cones are supposed to be used for temporary purposes in high traffic roads at peak hours when the traffic moves at snail pace [ when one lane is heavily congested while the opposite is totally free] and have to be taken off asap after the traffic thins down !
Such foolish acts can cause life damaging consequences.
Old 30th November 2014, 14:58   #103
BHPian

After watching a lot of those Russian dash cam car-crash videos on youTube, now on straight roads (the ones without a divider separating the lanes) I worry about the oncoming driver to make a mistake and come crashing on to me.
Old 30th November 2014, 15:08   #104
BHPian

The 2 things that I fear are-
1. Losing control of my car while driving for what ever reason. This could be because of a wet road or worst case scenario oil on the road or even when the tyres lock up under hard braking. This is when you have no control of your car and it is like as if your car has a mind of its own.
2. Being rear ended .
Old 30th November 2014, 16:14   #105
Senior - BHPian

My biggest fear while on the highways is someone popping out in front of my car and jumping into the roads to cross it from the median, behind the plants/bushes. Very scared when I think of it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks