Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th June 2011, 15:37   #1
Senior - BHPian

Biker Crashes into my Figo

Car was washed and detailed on Sunday. It was looking like the day she came from the showroom. I think this biker liked my car a little too much.
Had a small accident yesterday evening. A biker lost control and came crashing into the right side of the car.

I was driving in my lane when a car coming from the opposite direction (Mistubishi Outlander had taxi plates ) suddenly stops and the driver opens his front right side door. A speeding biker didnt see the driver opening the door and tried to avoid it somehow but alas he was going too fast, I think he scraped the door of the other car and then comes crashing into my car.
I stop and get out of the car,
Luckily nothing happening to the biker, his arm or leg didnt come under my tyre.
The biker gets up and starts arguing with the outlander driver. His bike is still on the ground.
Im in shock my hands and feet are shaking and I dont know what was happening. Hardly 10 seconds after the crash 2 more bikers come and start asking me for directions to some place.
My mind still too shaken up.
The biker who crashed is still there, his bike on the ground and these 2 idiots want directions?

Suddenly some common sense, all that I learned from Team-BHP - The Definitive Indian Car Community - Portal comes flashing into my head. This felt like how Eddie Morra from Limitless feels after he takes his dose of NZT!
My laptop, phones everything is in the car.
Are they deliberately trying to distract me? ORR stories ?

I tell them sorry go back to my car, lock up the doors and make a call to my cousin who lives in the next street of the accident zone and tell him exactly what happened, Gave him the number of the outlander. Couldn't read the number plate of the crashed bike from inside the car.

I watch these people carefully, first the 2 bikers asking for directions vanish, next the biker who crashed into my car is gone and so is the outlander.
I drive to my cousins pace and access the damage.
Damage doesn't look so bad just the rear door has a couple of marks and the front door has a small dent you cant even make out unless you look closely.

Both me and my cousin were the wondering if this was an attempted robbery/mugging attempt ? Now that ORR is patrolled by Cops and private security forces have these thugs shifted their location ?

I kept worrying about the car so much that I slept for only 2 hours last night.
My cousin and other family members keep telling me its just a car you worry to much about it.
Today I take the car to the A.S.S. And this is where my troubles start.
They gave me an estimate of Rs 19,7xx!!!! Thats nineteen thousand I can get the whole car repainted for 30,000!
The estimate shows labour charges 18,000 And 1,7xx as parts.
And figo is supposed to be a cheap car to own?
There is no problem with the doors or the locks or windows everything if fine, just the big ugly dent on the doors.

I have opted for an insurance claim and waiting for the person from the insurance company to come and inspect the car.

SA told me he will call back and let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Biker Crashes into my Figo-565.jpg  

Biker Crashes into my Figo-566.jpg  

Biker Crashes into my Figo-567.jpg  

Biker Crashes into my Figo-568.jpg  

Biker Crashes into my Figo-569.jpg  

Biker Crashes into my Figo-570.jpg  

Last edited by Captain Slow : 28th June 2011 at 15:44.
Captain Slow is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 15:42   #2
Senior - BHPian

Re: Biker Crashes into my Figo

Is he replacing the complete door? 19K for just repainting sounds too much but you never know.
Old 28th June 2011, 15:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Sorry about the hit. Crazy bikers are well, a pain, to put it simply.

How many panels are impacted ? The way the snaps are taken + the fact that the car is shiny and black + the reflection of other cars on it, it is tough to make out the actual damage. To me it looks like the 2 door panels are the ones with damage.

Recently a friend got repainting done for his Accent at non-HASS and it was like 3.5K per panel. I had asked MASS about repainting a panel of our A* and they quoted 3.8K.

So, if only 2 panels are damaged, looks like the FASS is charging more.

EDIT : Re-read your post which says front door has a very minor dent and rear door has more noticeable dents. So basically 1 panel needs to be tinkered/painted. The price they quote is atrocious.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 28th June 2011 at 15:51.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 15:54   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
Both me and my cousin were the wondering if this was an attempted robbery/mugging attempt ? Now that ORR is patrolled by Cops and private security forces have these thugs shifted their location ?
Well all these guys vanishing surely sounds fishy! You haven't mentioned where exactly this happened though!
Old 28th June 2011, 15:54   #5
BHPian

19k is rip off unless there is structural damage, doesnt look like any from the pics you have posted. Again, estimates go skywards whenever you opt for insurance.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:04   #6
BHPian

Thank heavens that you are safe, remember everything else is repairable. What counts is that all parties are safe - wits and limbs intact.

My Polo had a similar side swipe kind of a accident a couple of months back. Damage included floorboard denting/painting and front side wing replacement and painting. Service centre quoted 16K, insurance paid 14K I pitched in the rest. Vehicle was back on track in 3 days.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:04   #7
Senior - BHPian

19k for the little damage that can be made out from the pics is just too much. Dont bother with the FASS. Once the surveyor arrives and inspects the car and if the quote is still 19k, it is better to get it done at a competent guy outside. It will be done in a fraction of the cost.
Old 28th June 2011, 16:44   #8
BHPian

First off, you have really kept your vehicle in top gloss and it is literally gleaming. Secondly, as you said, it might be a setup too as you are saying they all disbursed in a flash which generally is not the case in an accident.

Regarding expenses, 19K surely is a rip-off. I can see a diagonal scratch on the front door which doesn't warrant a replacement. Surely they can fill it up and paint the door.
The back door too can be filled up and painted unless and untill the door metal has been cut through (can't see clearly as your vehicle is really shinning).

Don't know why they are charging a hand and a limb for that. You can surely get it done outside for a far lesser cost.
f1fan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 16:47   #9
J.Ravi

Sorry to hear about the accident. I think, painting can be got done outside at a cheaper cost. You can take a quote from a reputed painter, and then, decide.

Old 28th June 2011, 16:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

19K sounds too much for a small dent. Check with the SA, I think 19K will be for replacing the entire door and repainting the same. It happened to me when the front left door of my Micra was damaged. The A.S.S guys are clever, they will try and tell you to replace the entire door. But don't fall for their words. I think you can get it done outside at fraction of the cost and quicker too, if you get it done as a paid job and not an insurance one.

See this post in my ownership thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2074345

They will quietly quote the cost of replacing an entire door, but don't get fooled by them.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 28th June 2011 at 16:55. Reason: Added link to post
W.A.G.7 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2011, 16:53   #11
Senior - BHPian

The rear 1/4panel, the two doors require repair and repainting. Doing the same on a swift would cost around 10K for all the three and as someone said you can get your car repainted paying around 40K.

16K looks a little high. Can you ask for a break up of 16K itself.?
Old 28th June 2011, 17:01   #12
Senior - BHPian

I think the 18K as labour charges is too excessive. Please take at least 2 quotes from other workshops. AFAIK, even they can get the work done via insurance.

For some scratches on my Jazz, the SA at HASS quoted around 16K; another workshop has quoted around 8.5K; both with insurance.

Last edited by selfdrive : 28th June 2011 at 17:02.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:02   #13
Senior - BHPian

Since you took down the Outlander number, register a complaint with the local police station and make sure they take down the whole incident, including the vanishing bikers. Just as a precaution.

Also as a safety measure make it a practice to store all your valuable luggage in the boot, where it's much harder to flick it.
Old 28th June 2011, 17:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Slow View Post
......Today I take the car to the A.S.S. And this is where my troubles start......nineteen thousand .......just the big ugly dent on the doors.......
Sad to hear the incident, but the quoted figure is too much for whats visible from your images. I had my fiesta left front door completely replaced and painted for around 9k few months back. Comparing that to what I can see on your Figo is like nothing. If an entire door can be replaced and painted for 9k, why a dent and touch up should go over it ? And I am sure Fiesta door should be bigger than a Figo's.

Talking about bikers, they are going totally blind these days. My friend had gone out on Sunday for shopping, he was waiting at a signal on outer ring road beside another truck. A speeding biker came from somewhere and did not even see the crowd waiting for the signal, smashed into the truck rear and died on the spot. Truck driver escaped running, fearing a crowd attack. Imagine the situation, poor driver had nothing to do with the incident, he was waiting for the green. Thats our culture. Dead man gets more support than a poor living driver !
Old 28th June 2011, 17:42   #15
Team-BHP Support

Captain, check the before and after pictures of my car.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/other-...ml#post2109461

Work done at a local garage in Hyderabad. Am sure you will be able to find one in your city as well.
bblost is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks