Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2011, 23:11   #16
BHPian

Re: Now drive your car to Sri Lanka

Does look like an alternative. Any idea about taking bikes along with us? That has to work out much cheaper than a car or an SUV. I would prefer a two wheeler to potter around town and around because of the freedom it gives you. Again a big market for that I guess.

I did hear a tata indica costs more than 16L in SL now.
Old 19th October 2011, 17:21   #17
BHPian

Heard that due to some Visa rule changes, the package is postponed as of now.
Old 23rd October 2011, 14:08   #18
BHPian

It is still doable but involves some deposit amounting to 300% of car value etc according to their site. Not as easy as it sounds i guess.

Hi,

For a ford figo we would charge about 250 dollars for one way.

Regards,
Customer Care

Sent: Thu, 20 Oct 2011 16:44:40
Subject: Re: Tuticorin-Colombo
Dear Mr premjit

You can travel with your car by obtaining carnet document from the Automobile association. They have certain requirements that you have to fulfill to avail the same like be a member, possess international driving license, etc.

Can you please let us know the car model for us to quote a price.

Regards,
Customer Care
Flemingo Liners
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:54   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucifer1881 View Post
For the same reason many of us prefer to drive to Leh or Goa or Ooty or 'it does not matter where' rather than use public transport to get there and then hire a cab to get around. We love driving. I, for one, would love to take my car to the Andamans on a ferry.
lucifer
Hi fully agree with you. Travelling with a driver is no fun. The charm of cross country driving. Unfortunately in india the self drive option is very very limited(have no idea about limitations in Sri Lanka)
You would be surprised Guwahati has no self drive provider and a bigger surprise is Kolkata also the same. Checked on Avis or Hertz website and it was not there.
Old 8th May 2012, 19:09   #20
BHPian

Hi,

Has anybody from TEAM-BHP done this, if so kindly provide more information about the process.
Old 10th May 2012, 14:58   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannon View Post
Hi,

Has anybody from TEAM-BHP done this, if so kindly provide more information about the process.
Please read some previous post. There is a suggestion from GTO that it is cheaper to hire a corolla in Sri-Lanka for 7000/- INR for a week.

Do you thik its really worth the hassle of moving your car? Trust me - eventhough the rule appears straight-forward on paper, it would not be straigh. You may have to pay at various points and there will be un-neccasary dragging of the process.

Trust me - Its better to fly / ship to sri-lanka and take a local car for rent. Its easier cheaper and hassle free.
Old 10th May 2012, 15:12   #22
BANNED

Normally the Carnet de Passage is a big document and dodgy to get. Until the formalities for this are reduced / removed it is as bad or good as anything else. In the EU this was reduced and then removed. Given the permissions one an always take the car out of the country with the Carnet.
Old 14th September 2012, 20:55   #23
BHPian

Is it possible to take the bike across? I wouldn't mind a bike trip to Colombo.
Old 6th November 2017, 18:05   #24
BHPian

This is sad. I live in Chennai and would love to drive down to SL for a weekend if there was an easy driving option available. It makes lot of sense for people down south as a weekend getaway. Its incredible that for a country like SL which mainly depends on tourism revenue we have no land bridge and easy passage way. just sad :(
krcustoms is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed