Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2006, 11:48   #46
BHPian

i really hope that the lady and the guy are fine. May the lady's soul rest in peace.
Old 16th February 2006, 12:43   #47
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram
It is too common to hear instances, where man will not stop to help fellow man.
There are way too many instances of people getting into major trouble as witnesses of fatal accidents. I know a NRI doctor who got into trouble with the cops trying to help an accident victim. He now limits his services to donating money to hospitals.

The need of the hour is a huge investment in providing emergency medical services, and its management. Time is such a critical element in an emergency. It is such a shame that people die of blood loss.

In any advanced country, the emergency room is always 20 mins to half an hour away. I have seen rock climbers on Yosemite, hundreds of miles away from civilization being rescued, after they launch a flare. Actually, being a fireman or an emergency worker is a dream job (they are celebrated heros) for many kids.

On a National highway/expressway the least we should expect is quality emergency care from trained professionals. We should not expect any other highway driver to take a dying person in his trunk. He could be doing more harm than good.

My 2 cents,
-Prasadee
Old 16th February 2006, 13:20   #48
BHPian

EVO, great job done. It shows your great character.

Its really irritating to see some people justify the insane speed in a tallboy car. They will come to know they lived on edge once they drive a sturdy sedan.

And 150 kmph in Santro!! lots of laugh. please don't risk others life.
Old 16th February 2006, 15:53   #49
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prkothan
EVO, great job done. It shows your great character.

Its really irritating to see some people justify the insane speed in a tallboy car. They will come to know they lived on edge once they drive a sturdy sedan.

And 150 kmph in Santro!! lots of laugh. please don't risk others life.
All right, will slow down on my Santro. But take a look at the opinions of a few Santro/Wagon R owners on this website:

http://cityblogger.com/archives/2005...suzuki-wagon-r

Here are some sample quotes from this website:

Quoting Kishore Prakash:

"It is very true that Santro shakes after 90kmph. I think people that Santro is best have not gone above90kph or have not driven a wagonr. I always go smoothly through highways at 140-150kmph with easy and flexible overtakings in a WagonR."

Quoting San:

" Read the coments on this page and thought I should make my experience known to try and right some misconceptions.
Had to recently drive my Santro from Ahmedabad to Pune and touched speed of 130-140 and felt no vibrations whatsoever that some have claimed on this site. "

Quoting Prakash:

"Santro has no stability issues at high speeds. I drove the Santro Xing at 140 Km/hr and it was quite stable."

I do not mean to imply that this is an authoratative website. Just pointing out that I am not the only one given to speeding in tallboys (at least I do it in the Expressway, these guys seem to have no problems hitting 130-150 kph on *regular* Indian highways).

Regards, rks
Old 16th February 2006, 16:01   #50
Team-BHP Support

People make lots of claims about cars etc., and stable speeds etc., but the fact is that physics always wins. A 700kg car doing 120kmph can loose control at high speeds. Heck I was driving the getz through a storm at around 50kmph, as visibility improved I accelerated to 80-90kmph(It was an empty expressway) but a sharp gust of wind made me slide across 1 full lane. Imagine if that gust had come in such a way that I would have slid into the divider.
The more surface area, ie taller car means more susceptibility to cross winds. So if you are driving a heavy car you are safer in such scenarios. Infact light weight sports cars have spoilers to increase downforce so as to increase effective weight, otherwise they would fly off at hight speeds.
So if you want to speed in a tallboy be careful, and make sure you have wide tyres. When I colided with a tallboy(Santro) doing 60kmph it flew into the air and landed on the roof. I was not even doing 30kmph, the high center of gravity did the trick.
Old 16th February 2006, 16:10   #51
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
People make lots of claims about cars etc., and stable speeds etc., but the fact is that physics always wins. A 700kg car doing 120kmph can loose control at high speeds. Heck I was driving the getz through a storm at around 50kmph, as visibility improved I accelerated to 80-90kmph(It was an empty expressway) but a sharp gust of wind made me slide across 1 full lane. Imagine if that gust had come in such a way that I would have slid into the divider.
The more surface area, ie taller car means more susceptibility to cross winds. So if you are driving a heavy car you are safer in such scenarios. Infact light weight sports cars have spoilers to increase downforce so as to increase effective weight, otherwise they would fly off at hight speeds.
So if you want to speed in a tallboy be careful, and make sure you have wide tyres. When I colided with a tallboy(Santro) doing 60kmph it flew into the air and landed on the roof. I was not even doing 30kmph, the high center of gravity did the trick.
After having considered the opinions expressed on this forum, I have decided to play it safe and slow down. Thanks a lot for all the helpful advice given.

Regards, rks

Most Viewed