Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2016, 11:01   #1501
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
Are you coming in from Jogeshwari ?

I came to Powai from Vashi. Was routine. Just the usual crawl from Gnagar bridge till IIT Main Gate. rest was fine. coming in from western might be issue.
Yes. There are 4-5 large Ganesh idols on cranes blocking 2 lanes just adjacent to Powai lake.

Traffic cops have now opened one lane on the opposite side to Vikhroli-bound traffic just before the Chandivali flyover. My cab managed to move to the opposite side so it was smooth sailing from there.

Cabbie was saying the Lalbaghcha Raja visarjan at Girgaum chowpatty is causing even more chaos, so SoBo folks do watch out!
Old 16th September 2016, 14:24   #1502
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by noopster View Post
Visarjan madness- am stuck on JVLR heading for Powai for the past hour. Traffic shows no signs of clearing. The immerssions into Powai lake from last night are apparently delayed. Please avoid this route if possible.
Just came in to Powai from WEH about an hour back and the last of the big Ganpati idols was getting readied for Visarjan.

Its all smooth sailing now, no backlogs.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Old 16th September 2016, 14:36   #1503
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Just came in to Powai from WEH about an hour back and the last of the big Ganpati idols was getting readied for Visarjan.

Its all smooth sailing now, no backlogs.

Regards
Dieseltuned
Ohh Thats Great!!
Had a horrible time to reach from WEH to Powai. Read tweets about immersion near Powai lake and cabbie decided to take WEH-JVLR-SEEPZ-Marol rd-Chakala-Chandivali-Powai. Turned out to be horrible decision.
Old 19th September 2016, 17:34   #1504
BHPian

JVLR-WEH junction traffic solutions?

I tried to check if this topic has been covered in this thread before, but i didn't find anything direct, so I am posting it here.

I am sure all of you are aware of the long traffic jams that are a constant feature of the JVLR/WEH junction (coming from Powai), which have started since the opening of the East/West flyover. For those who don’t know, traffic often piles up all the way back to Majas Depot (1 km), till as late as 11:00 pm on most days.

Looking at the traffic flow pattern, of the vehicles coming from Powai, about 15-20% go left towards Andheri, only about 10-15% go straight to Jogeshwari West and 60-70% go right towards Goregaon. This seems to indicate to me that it’s not the potential East-West extra traffic (due to the new flyover) that is causing the jam, but primarily the reduced time available for the signal because some of the time devoted to the new arm (coming from Jogeshwari West). So, the best way to solve the traffic jam would be to again increase the time available for the signal.

Looking at the three options, the logical choice seems to be the opposite arm coming from Jogeshwari West since it brings the lowest amount of traffic into the junction. The other two arms (WEH) have plenty of their own traffic, and I don’t think we can really close a highway signal. So, I was wondering how it would work if there is no straight or right turn for the arm coming from West, and the signal is again divided into three instead of four. All vehicles coming from Jogeshwari West compulsorily take a left, and then those wanting to go straight or right take a U-turn under the flyover on the WEH. It may load the WEH S/B arm, but it will also have more time to compensate. Alternatively, this arrangement can only be done in the evenings, as the traffic would be less on the S/B arm at that time, and that is when the JVLR traffic is worst.

Any thoughts on this potential solution? Not sure I have the necessary means to do anything about this in reality, but would like to hear if it seems to make sense in theory at least. Sitting in the jam for 10-15 minutes daily has made this my favorite topic, and I am really curious to hear other views on this.
Old 21st September 2016, 22:37   #1505
BHPian

Mumbai roads are pathetic in quality to say the least . sometimes it takes me 90 mins to do a distance of a meagre 8 km
Old 22nd September 2016, 18:53   #1506
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertieWoosert View Post
JVLR-WEH junction traffic solutions?

I am sure all of you are aware of the long traffic jams that are a constant feature of the JVLR/WEH junction (coming from Powai), which have started since the opening of the East/West flyover. For those who don’t know, traffic often piles up all the way back to Majas Depot (1 km), till as late as 11:00 pm on most days.
Me too take this route daily. What I think, the major pile-up from Majas depot is due to multiple signals from Depot to signal. what I have observed is that the traffic is fast moving at the JVLR-WEH junction. But the flow at traffic signals before this junction is a major bottle neck.

Quote:
Looking at the traffic flow pattern, of the vehicles coming from Powai, about 15-20% go left towards Andheri, only about 10-15% go straight to Jogeshwari West and 60-70% go right towards Goregaon.
Fair enough for argument. My observation says vehicles going straight are higher. However agree, major flow turns right.
Now the twist: My prediction is that vehicles will now start going straight as the metro works gains progress. with less carriageway available, majority of North-bound vehicles will prefer Link road on the west rather than continue on WEH.[/quote]

Quote:
This seems to indicate to me that it’s not the potential East-West extra traffic (due to the new flyover) that is causing the jam, but primarily the reduced time available for the signal because some of the time devoted to the new arm (coming from Jogeshwari West). So, the best way to solve the traffic jam would be to again increase the time available for the signal.
I beg to differ on this. I had the same argument with one of my friend the other day, as he was complaining about reduced green-signal time per direction.
I think, with new flyover opening, the total flow at that particular spot has increased greatly. Look at the traffic dissipation point of view. Now, far grater cars are moving from that spot than earlier, even though the signal time for each signal has reduced.

Quote:
Looking at the three options, the logical choice seems to be the opposite arm coming from Jogeshwari West since it brings the lowest amount of traffic into the junction. The other two arms (WEH) have plenty of their own traffic, and I don’t think we can really close a highway signal. So, I was wondering how it would work if there is no straight or right turn for the arm coming from West, and the signal is again divided into three instead of four. All vehicles coming from Jogeshwari West compulsorily take a left, and then those wanting to go straight or right take a U-turn under the flyover on the WEH. It may load the WEH S/B arm, but it will also have more time to compensate. Alternatively, this arrangement can only be done in the evenings, as the traffic would be less on the S/B arm at that time, and that is when the JVLR traffic is worst.

Any thoughts on this potential solution? Not sure I have the necessary means to do anything about this in reality, but would like to hear if it seems to make sense in theory at least. Sitting in the jam for 10-15 minutes daily has made this my favorite topic, and I am really curious to hear other views on this.
Too much jugglery. IMO only way is to further increase traffic dissipation from the spot. the low hanging fruit is to improve the tarmac quality at all directions on this junction. This will enable to move all vehicles quickly on this spot. Simple things but long lasting impact!!!
Old 22nd September 2016, 20:05   #1507
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julyone_modi View Post
Me too take this route daily. What I think, the major pile-up from Majas depot is due to multiple signals from Depot to signal. what I have observed is that the traffic is fast moving at the JVLR-WEH junction. But the flow at traffic signals before this junction is a major bottle neck.
6 signals in a matter of less than what 1.5kms? Which moron on earth could think of it. This is inspite of having over bridges for people to cross. I had enquired with BMC for this and apparently its because of some politico biggie's intervention .

I usually while going check on the status of that section on gmaps, if its boiling red I take the seepz midc road for Andheri.

JVLR should be renamed as JLVR - Jaan Lene Vala Road
Dodge_Viper is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2016, 22:10   #1508
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My prediction is that vehicles will now start going straight as the metro works gains progress. with less carriageway available, majority of North-bound vehicles will prefer Link road on the west rather than continue on WEH.
This Link rd/SV rd route is sometimes convenient nowadays. But sometimes those roads can also get very jammed especially Saturdays.
I do Churchgate to Marve in 2 hrs & a bit by taking the train & then a bus from Malad Station. This ordeal by car would on an average take me 3hrs during the monsoon.
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:11   #1509
BHPian

Quote:
I think, with new flyover opening, the total flow at that particular spot has increased greatly. Look at the traffic dissipation point of view. Now, far grater cars are moving from that spot than earlier, even though the signal time for each signal has reduced.

Too much jugglery. IMO only way is to further increase traffic dissipation from the spot. the low hanging fruit is to improve the tarmac quality at all directions on this junction. This will enable to move all vehicles quickly on this spot. Simple things but long lasting impact!!!
Agreed that the suggestion sounds like jugglery. Seeing the daily evening pain on JVLR though, I think anything that may ease it a little bit is worth trying.

Fully agreed on the road quality - no arguments there! Let us wait to see if the situation improves after monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodge_Viper View Post
6 signals in a matter of less than what 1.5kms? Which moron on earth could think of it. This is inspite of having over bridges for people to cross. I had enquired with BMC for this and apparently its because of some politico biggie's intervention .

I usually while going check on the status of that section on gmaps, if its boiling red I take the seepz midc road for Andheri.

JVLR should be renamed as JLVR - Jaan Lene Vala Road
In addition to the signals, I feel that the cut in the road opposite Oberoi Splendor should be removed, I have seen many times one vehicle stuck there to take a right or U-turn, and traffic piles up in no time behind. Actually, I feel in general, that we should eliminate as many cuts in the roads as possible. A few people will have to travel a little bit more to the next signal to take the turn, but it should benefit a lot more people.

Coming from Powai to WEH, I have to go North towards Hub Mall, so no chance to escape this as of now. Sometimes Google Maps advises to take a left after the Majas depot, and take the Jogeshwari station road and then right turn under the highway as an option - has anyone tried that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
I do Churchgate to Marve in 2 hrs & a bit by taking the train & then a bus from Malad Station. This ordeal by car would on an average take me 3hrs during the monsoon.
Seeing that travel times have gone to 1.5-2 hours just from Bandra to Jogeshwari, I think you should count yourself lucky if you can do Churchgage to Marve in 3 hourrs.
Old 23rd September 2016, 12:19   #1510
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Seeing that travel times have gone to 1.5-2 hours just from Bandra to Jogeshwari, I think you should count yourself lucky if you can do Churchgage to Marve in 3 hourrs.
I guess i stand corrected, Churchgate to Marve takes 3hrs on an average during other seasons, once monsoon starts it takes well over 3hrs! Haven't taken the WEH in the evening for a long time, i quietly get into the train.
Btw, read in today's TOI that Mumbai to Goa will be possible in 6hrs in the year 2018, 6hrs(even more i guess during monsoon) is what it takes from Borivali to Churchgate & back during peak hours!

Last edited by PPS : 23rd September 2016 at 12:20.
Old 23rd September 2016, 13:23   #1511
BHPian

Just adding to the JVLR suggestion:

Why cant we have free left turns on every junction and then taking the U turn under the next flyover.

Special U turns can be made like the one under the domestic airport flyovers and thakur village Kandivali flyover.

This will reduce the need for signals and free flowing traffic on the WEH.

Everytime I wait at a signal I just feel like giving this suggestion to the traffic constable at the signal.

Junctions like the Oberoi Mall,JVLR and the ones under the Andheri flyover are in dire need of this.
Old 3rd October 2016, 16:06   #1512
BHPian

I was stuck in an extremely massive choke-up in Thane NH3 on the morning of Thursday, 22nd of September, 2016. Thankfully, I was on bike and had planned to ride towards Aurangabad from Navi Mumbai to meet up a few old buddies over the coming weekend.

I entered through the Saket right (taking a right turn at Kalwa Naka while coming from Navi Mumbai). To my horror, there was a massive choke-up a km or 2 before NH3 toll plaza of trucks. As I moved forward, there were moments where I had to be at same point parked for a good 20 minutes (especially over the bridge right after toll plaza). I was on NH3 at 11:00 and was out of the mess only at 12:45. All this, despite being on a 2 wheeler where I could overtake/squeeze my way through many cars and trucks!

This appeared something massive. No doubt, the cars and trucks would be stranded there for atleast 4 hours. A day before, I was going towards Ghodbunder from the Majiwada flyover. I could see long queues of trucks on NH3 from taxi but I thought it could be something temporary due to an accident/truck breakdown or rains.

The long queue continued till Bhiwandi/Kalyan junction after which traffic was free flowing on the Nashik Highway. Went to a Dhaba and tried googling if something had gone wrong. Well, Versova bridge (the one opposite Fountain Hotel) is closed for truck traffic due to maintenance and repair work for 3 months. All trucks going towards Dahanu/Gujarat direction are taking NH3 till Bhiwandi intersection. And the same applies on reverse direction. So, essentially you have a traffic signal at NH3 Bhiwandi point where trucks and all traffic are blocked for 5 minutes each. This leads to a massive choke-up behind. I wonder if the authorities have thought of opening up alternate routes for truckers through interior roads.

This isn't making big news on local TV news channels as much as the weekend traffic on Expressway makes. Health Minister of Maharashtra was stuck in this jam for a good 3 hours despite getting priority treatment!

All in all, avoid NH3 for time being! This was the worst that I've ever stuck in any traffic jam. And all worldly thoughts strike at such times - what if a car on low petrol gets stuck leading to further slow movement, how about those hungry and sleepy drivers, how about those with a strong sensation for nature's call!

As I check Google Maps now, it does not show any traffic choke-up. However, I believe Google Maps reports its traffic based on movement of Android devices or Gmaps installed devices - we don't have yet have truckers and tempo/loading autos using internet actively on smartphones in large numbers.

A screenshot of the 20 km long patch where the choke-up occurred the other day. Messed up bike ride needless to say and I was out of the Dhaba post lunch at 2 PM to begin my journey ahead.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-scr1.png  

ameyawaghmare is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th October 2016, 20:27   #1513
Senior - BHPian

Is it me or has anybody else noted that there is more dense traffic on wednesdays in mumbai? I always get late to reach home mostly on this day.
Old 5th October 2016, 23:38   #1514
BHPian

Guys, this may be a bit off topic for this thread, but since part of my post in another thread was Mumbai-specific and I didn't get any response from there I'm posting the link here in case anyone is interested.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street...ml#post4068751

Last edited by FarPatel : 6th October 2016 at 00:03.
Old 19th October 2016, 12:27   #1515
Lij
BHPian

The government is all set to make our roads safer (atleast in Maharashtra) by the addition of a new cess for "Road Safety Fund" from October 24.

Quote:
Officials said the cess will be 2% of the one-time road tax for two-wheelers and cars /SUVs. For light motor goods vehicles such as a tempo, the cess will be 4% of the road tax while for medium and heavy goods vehicles, it will be either 2% of the one-time tax or 10% of annual road tax. For autos and taxis the cess will be 5% of the road tax. The government plans to raise up to Rs 150 crore through this new cess by March 2017.
"The government has defined various categories under which we will levy this cess. It will be collected with the objective of raising a fund that can be used for road safety measures and to prevent fatalities,'' said state transport commissoner Praveen Gedam.
News reads here and here as well.

Most Viewed