Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2016, 16:41   #1531
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dZired View Post
Heavy vehicles banned on city roads during peak hours
I hope the BMC garbage dumpers are also on the list of the heavy vehicles and not categorized as essentials. It will be a huge relief not to see the madly driven, foul emanating dumpers on the road during the restricted hours.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2016, 18:37   #1532
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
Autorickshaws should also be prohibited from plying on the WEH and EEH as they simply slow down the traffic. They should be restricted to Linking road/SV Road and LBS.
Yes totally agree. On many occasions I have come across them slowly chugging along on right most lane.
In fact this is the case with old taxis as well, we need better monitoring by traffic police using technology.
Old 21st December 2016, 20:32   #1533
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverado View Post
...we need better monitoring by traffic police using technology.

The Mumbai traffic police (MTP) app is a step in the right direction. It allows you to snap a photo of an offence and post it on the app for police to take action.

Had tried it recently when an auto squeezed past my car and took off the OVRM. The control room called the very next day. Unfortunately they couldn't issue a challan as I hadn't clicked a photo of the auto. But the person at the other end was nice enough to explain that as long as I have a photo of the offence, they can issue a challan.

The app has sections for all offences, e.g. Parking, rash driving etc. In my view each citizen should use the app to post all the offences we see each day. Once the errant drivers realise that they have to cough up money for every offence, we may start having better roads.
varunsangal is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2016, 08:54   #1534
Senior - BHPian

Unfortunately, seems the light (overloaded) commercial vehicles would not be banned. While essential in a hub and spoke model, they are simply too underpowered on anything remotely resembling an uphill stretch

Probably the criteria should be based on average speeds the vehicles are capable of.
Old 22nd December 2016, 20:17   #1535
BHPian

https://twitter.com/gallinews/status/811892333453058048

Since past couple of days, I have come across almost 5 multiple-vehicle collisions on the EEH. I just stick to the middle lane keeping a steady distance between my car and the one in front of me just as a precaution. However, tailgating morons are so frequent on the EEH, that I have to literally slow down further and let these people overtake me just in order to avoid any instances.
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:29   #1536
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varunsangal View Post
The Mumbai traffic police (MTP) app is a step in the right direction. It allows you to snap a photo of an offence and post it on the app for police to take action.

Had tried it recently when an auto squeezed past my car and took off the OVRM. The control room called the very next day. Unfortunately they couldn't issue a challan as I hadn't clicked a photo of the auto. But the person at the other end was nice enough to explain that as long as I have a photo of the offence, they can issue a challan.

The app has sections for all offences, e.g. Parking, rash driving etc. In my view each citizen should use the app to post all the offences we see each day. Once the errant drivers realise that they have to cough up money for every offence, we may start having better roads.
This is a good attempt by the Traffic Police but this version looks pretty cumbersome to use, especially if you and / or the traffic violator are on the move. At the moment you need to type your login id, enter your password and then navigate to the relevant icon, and so on. By the time you get to the correct window the violation may have passed, or the violator may have disappeared from view. In order to be really useful we should be able to launch the app with a single touch, as well as be able to select a pic from the cellphone album at a later time. In my case it would be more convenient for me to extract a pic from my dashcam and use it in the app than to fiddle with my cellphone while driving.
Cheers
Old 23rd December 2016, 15:59   #1537
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniHilat0R View Post
https://twitter.com/gallinews/status/811892333453058048

Since past couple of days, I have come across almost 5 multiple-vehicle collisions on the EEH. I just stick to the middle lane keeping a steady distance between my car and the one in front of me just as a precaution. However, tailgating morons are so frequent on the EEH, that I have to literally slow down further and let these people overtake me just in order to avoid any instances.
To avoid such morons, I give way to them by changing lanes. I occasionally keep an eye on my RVM. If I see any vehicle getting too close for comfort, I just change my lane and move out of their way.
Another trick I have adopted is brake lightly a few times which makes the vehicle behind keep its distance. I step on the brake lightly, leave it after a few moments, then step on it again and so on.
Old 23rd December 2016, 17:27   #1538
BHPian

Tailgatting is a big problem on WEH where the traffic density is very high. In fast moving traffic (50-60 kmph is fast for WEH) i usually gradually decrease my speed if i spot a tailgetter in my RVM. General observation is these tailgetters have very little patience and if made to follow for even a full minute they will themselves change their lanes and move on.

Last edited by Dieseltuned : 23rd December 2016 at 17:27. Reason: grammar and spell check
Old 2nd January 2017, 09:09   #1539
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
... In order to be really useful we should be able to launch the Mumbai Traffic Police (MTP) app with a single touch, as well as be able to select a pic from the cellphone album at a later time. In my case it would be more convenient for me to extract a pic from my dashcam and use it in the app than to fiddle with my cellphone while driving.
Cheers
Agree, the app is still coming up the curve. The last version didn't even launch properly, this one works, but the issue with the camera remains. Might have been designed with an accident situation only in mind. The true use of the app will be when each citizen can upload all violations they see, a dashcam being the best tool to capture the violations themselves.
Old 2nd January 2017, 18:45   #1540
Senior - BHPian

Im still seeing heavy vehicles on the roads at all times of the day. So was the circular about restricting their timings real or not ? Unless they are greasing the cops hands to allow their 'essential goods/services' to pass through
Old 2nd January 2017, 20:59   #1541
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Im still seeing heavy vehicles on the roads at all times of the day. So was the circular about restricting their timings real or not ? Unless they are greasing the cops hands to allow their 'essential goods/services' to pass through
Same here. The way I see it, if the palm greasing scenario is real,then the circular doesn't make any sense whatsoever, in the first place.

I see these 10-wheeler big size dumpers/tippers hogging up all the road in full glory even today. I'm still wondering how can a private builder or the tipper contractor categorize a 30-40 ton payload carrying tipper truck as an "essential services" category vehicle. Or is the whole thing a big farce and we are all getting worked up for nothing?

Anyway the metro project is really screwing up traffic big-time inmumbai as of now. I wonder if they had a thought out plan to choke-up/cordon off all the roads at once or are they stupid not to know better
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:12   #1542
BHPian

Vehicles in Mumbai have increased by 50% in the last 5 years while the roads have not as per this news article. The count now stands at around 9 lakh vehicles.

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/56302918.cms

I am in a way surprised to see these numbers to say the least because Mumbai, in general has a really good public transport system network all through (Railways, Metro, Monorail, Buses, taxis, autorickshaws etc. you name it and you have it kinda). Just shudder to think what if this was not the case and the public transport system was as pathetic as say Pune. It would have been a disaster.
Old 3rd January 2017, 11:54   #1543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Same here. The way I see it, if the palm greasing scenario is real,then the circular doesn't make any sense whatsoever, in the first place.

I see these 10-wheeler big size dumpers/tippers hogging up all the road in full glory even today.
Today I saw policemen stopping trucks near Hiranandani Powai on Vikroli bound direction, JVLR. I have seen this for the first time today.
Old 4th January 2017, 01:25   #1544
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
Mumbai, in general has a really good public transport system network all through (Railways, Metro, Monorail, Buses, taxis, autorickshaws etc. you name it and you have it kinda).

Well, it all seems bliss on paper but the reality is far far away from that. Try to drive around in Mumbai these days and you'll know what I mean.

From what I can fathom, at a glance, the already less road-space here is mostly occupied by unnecessary stuff like about 25℅ for metro work, 25℅ parking(mostly in ridiculously haphazard manner), 10℅ happily jaywalking unruly pedestrians( see, here pedestrians seem to think that they are not responsible for any manner to contribute to smooth flowing traffic and they can walk/cross whenever or wherever they fancy while deliberately looking the other way and then if someone hits them, it's a carnal sin!) because there are no laws for pedestrians at all here in India. About 30 percent of road is always dug up for indefinite times.The rest is gobbled up by the real traffic. So where does that leave us? High and dry.

Then you have hawkers, illegal hoarders like garages n stuff, just to name a few.

And oh, by the way, most mumnaikars don't even know what is the meaning of a sidewalk, let alone using one. The concept is totally lost on them. They believe that if you don't have a vehicle you just consider the whole world as your personal garden and stroll/walk/hop/skip/scoot around as and when you like. It's your motherland and who can say anything. The motorists are just pesky side effects of western civilization. The result? The space is encroached upon by footpath dwellers and the likes because if people were using the footpath they wouldn't have let anyone illegally occupy it in the first place. It's a place meant for pedesteians to walk for Gods sake!

As for the public transport, the most efficient in doing most of the work are the local trains but they are always overloaded. Buses are doing an ok job but they don't have much of road left to function properly or efficiently. Metro is yet to fully develope enough to justify it existing in a metro city but work is in progress at a more than comfortable pace. Rickshaws in their sheer numbers, are like festering gangrene wounds on the roads and their sheer numbers are of no good use because here the rickshaw guy doesn't go where you want to go but you should happen to be going to the same place that HE wants to go. So he doesn't ask you, you ask him if he'll go or is in the mood to go at all. Taxis are ok ok. Most Mumbaikars haven't even seen a monorail coach in the flesh yet. Nobody knows much about them like where do they start from or where to do they go. So the whole "public transport" scenario is not exactly blissful to put it mildly. If it was, people wouldn't have had these many cars. Period.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
Today I saw policemen stopping trucks near Hiranandani Powai on Vikroli bound direction, JVLR. I have seen this for the first time today.
That's the typical "palm-greasing" area with the checknaka nearby.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2017, 08:50   #1545
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
This is a everyday affair. They stop the heavy vehicles right after the IIT Powai signal and cause a traffic jam. Add to that pedestrians crossing the road in spite of over bridge being provided at that junction. Everyday I literally curse these people since they have wasted precious tax payers money by not using the over bridge.

Most Viewed