Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 4th January 2017, 11:42   #1546
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Add to that pedestrians crossing the road in spite of over bridge being provided at that junction.
I am really not sure why arent these people fined especially where there are underpasses or foot over bridge available? These people dont want to wait but rather jump in front of an oncoming vehicle and if god forbid, there is an accident we all know what happens. I think its high time cops/judiciary also consider these things before putting a case in case of accident
Old 4th January 2017, 11:51   #1547
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur View Post
I think its high time cops/judiciary also consider these things before putting a case in case of accident
I dont think the cops are even bothered. The jaywalking happens right in front of their eyes and they turn a blind eye always. Once there is an accident, they suddenly spring in action and hold the vehicle owners for any thing. Unless people themselves realize their fault, things are not going to improve. In such circumstances, prevention is better than cure. Cross the stretch at the lowest possible speeds.

Same scenario is at the next signal towards EE highway. Over bridge exists and people use roads to cross. Even vehicles take a turn at this junction to enter IIT campus/market. The signal is also for a mere 20 secs and I do see heavy vehicles taking u turn almost on daily basis. That opening should be permanently blocked so that any vehicle wanting to take a turn should do so at IIT signal turning only. I have written this on numerous occasions to Mumbai traffic police but nothing has been done on that.
Old 4th January 2017, 11:59   #1548
BHPian

Earlier, it was just jaywalking. Now it's Jay-2wheelers, jay-trucks and taxis. Add to that, Uber and Ola drivers who refuse to allow you to overtake, and finally, the general chaos with the dug up roads, driving in Bombay is hell!

I used to enjoy driving to work in the mornings. Now even at 730 am it's hell. From the Worli end of the Sealink to lower Parel is a 20 minute journey (used to be 10 a year ago) at 745 am. The evenings are absolutely abominable.

For a while, I tried walking home to Bandra in the evenings, but the pollution was so bad that I literally fell sick.
Old 5th January 2017, 19:23   #1549
Senior - BHPian

I have to say though that Uber and Ola have definitely increased the traffic rather than their claim that traffic will reduce because private vehicles will be used less. Im pretty sure 1 in 3 or atleast 1 out of 4 vehicles you see on the road nowadays are yellow plate Uber or Ola guys.
Mortis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 00:26   #1550
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I have to say though that Uber and Ola have definitely increased the traffic rather than their claim that traffic will reduce because private vehicles will be used less. Im pretty sure 1 in 3 or atleast 1 out of 4 vehicles you see on the road nowadays are yellow plate Uber or Ola guys.
Thats an accurate observation. It's absolutely true. This is another unwanted addition to the already gory traffic mess all around us. We certainly don't need this at the moment.

And from how much I know the Indian government, nobody is going to give two hoots. And then you arrive at situations like Delhi. And then wonder why it's happening when it never did before.

Seriously these private guys should have some kind of capping. As if we don't have enough of the three wheeled menace already, we now have a four wheeled one looming very close. God have mercy. One more dimension of urban stress. Not good. At all. Pray with me fellow bhpians. :(
Old 6th January 2017, 02:14   #1551
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Seriously these private guys should have some kind of capping. As if we don't have enough of the three wheeled menace already, we now have a four wheeled one looming very close. God have mercy. One more dimension of urban stress. Not good. At all. Pray with me fellow bhpians. :(
Its totally insane out there these days, WEH is totally and completely jammed now after the metro work has begun, LBS Marg has been Dug up from places to places, The route to khar Subway is dug up, Try going town from BKC - Sea link - Haji ali from afternoon onwards and its totally jam pack! And yes indeed Ola and Uber taxi's are in very good numbers and several times they can be seen driving rashly to probably pickup their customer! Totally as if those notorious 3 wheeler's wasn't enough of us, We do need prayer's, Like literally!
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th January 2017, 11:23   #1552
BHPian

To the list of already existing woes are people who not only flout rules but also manhandle the cops for doing their job.

Quote:

Man drives in no-entry lane, wife slaps cop

NAVI MUMBAI: A criminal offence has been registered against a couple from Turbhe after the woman allegedly slapped a traffic police constable near Mahape junction on the Thane-Belapur road on Thursday.

The woman Sapna Patil (29) and her husband Sopan Awhad (26) were in their car when her husband, who was at the wheel, allegedly drove into a no-entry lane around 7.45 pm.

When traffic constable Pritesh Bhatuse flagged down Awhad's car, his wife allegedly manhandled the policeman.

Senior inspector Ramchandra Deshmukh said that when the constable signalled to Awhad to halt, he tried to run over the constable. "The woman slapped him and threatened to call a few goons to beat up the cop,"he said.

Deshmukh added that the woman will be arrested after obtaining the magistrate's permission as a woman cannot be arrested and kept in custody after sunset.
Source
Old 18th January 2017, 19:21   #1553
Senior - BHPian

Major jam on the northbound side of the highway just after the Dahisar toll booth. Due to some road work they have diverted the service road to cut across the northbound side to get onto the southbound side. It took us 3 hours to get from Vile Parle to Mira Road. Missed my friends morning wedding ceremony and only reached in time for lunch like a shady person
Old 18th January 2017, 23:58   #1554
BHPian

Im just wondering who are the blokes who give the go-ahead for these projects that too all at once? There's definately no visible planning into it looking at the way traffic is in total shambles what with so-called development work gong on simultaneously all over the place!

There is no respite whichever way you turn your vehicle towards. And going by how responsible government employees are these days, I think we're pretty much done for. No hope in site. I dread to even think what will happen the day these smarties think of unleashing the 'metro' axe on s.v. road as well. Im sure there will be people commiting suicide then.
Old 19th January 2017, 17:19   #1555
Senior - BHPian

For the people staying on western line in Mumbai especially the suburbs tough times are ahead. Adding to the traffic woes of an already bursting city. The metro work has started on two of the most important roads SIMULTANEOUSLY!!!. That is the Western Express Highway(Andheri to Dahisar Metro), (Colaba-Bandra-SEEPZ) and Link Road (Dahisar to Mankhurd).

Now I can understand that it is for decongesting the city, but there has to be a mechanism in place to avoid traffic snarls on these important roads which I haven't seen happening or isn't just enough. For example keep the sides of all these roads mentioned above as Strictly No Parking Zones and have tow trucks on standby to tow away any parked vehicle on sight, create special diversions as they do when a politician visits the city, designate time for entry of heavy vehicles on those roads, carry out maximum heavy work during the night, and lastly work on those projects on a war footing. I know I am being optimistic about all of this but what else can I do. Aaall is Well Aaall is Well.
Old 19th January 2017, 23:50   #1556
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
For the people staying on western line in Mumbai especially the suburbs tough times are ahead.
Your post is a few weeks/month late! Traffic has gotten worse already & it really is a frustrating time when you venture out on the roads nowadays in the suburbs.
Old 20th January 2017, 00:10   #1557
Senior - BHPian

Had to reach Oberoi mall by 3 PM, Left a good an hour early so that i could reach on time, Still even during the time from 12 - 3 PM in the afternoon the traffic was still at its peak, No matter what time or what day the traffic on WEH is getting worse day by day and i don't see it improving in the near future.
Old 20th January 2017, 08:44   #1558
BHPian

Well why don't we see it with a different perspective. The metro work is being done to benefit the unfortunate millions who use the jam packed sardine tins that we call as 'local trains'. Every thing that we discuss here does not have to be from a car owners perspective right ? There are millions of others in this God damn city who are in dire need of transportation.
Coming to the point of traffic management, I think that the cops are doing a decent job. I travel daily on the WEH from BORIVALI to POWAI and the cops are always there to man the traffic. Creating lanes, hell even I have seen khaki cops reprimanding slow Mo truckers, pulling up errant private company buses for stopping anywhere and everywhere to pickup /drop people. My own company bus driver was reprimanded severly 2 days back.
Now, how about stopping being an arm chair laptop hugging complainee and doing something about it. The govt, MMRDA, MTP had already warned people of the coming up metro work, diversions, etc. So can we do our bit and at least stop using the car unless absolutely necessary. Is it so much a pain to wait for a bus or walk up to a railway station ?

I think we must support our government in whatever good intended work they are doing and stop complaining on every possible opportunity available. After all, this work is being carried out for the betterment of the city ,right ?

Some of us have asked whether all this should have been taken up simultaneously? And my answer is yes!. We are already behind time in improving our transportation system. Look at Delhi. Even that city suffered during the construction phase, but look at the fruits reaping out of it.

P.S. :: have a look at this website. A blogspot of sorts for metro work updates from all across the country. Mumbai itself has 66kms of metro lines under construction. Hell, even tier 2 and tier 3 cities like surat and lucknow have a metro plan in place. We are living a metro revolution of sorts, the countries transportation future is looking bright if I must say.

http://themetrorailguy.com/2017/01/0...metros-line-2/.

I do not have any relation with this website , just browse it regularly for updates.

Regards
Dieseltuned.
Old 20th January 2017, 12:59   #1559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseltuned View Post
Well why don't we see it with a different perspective. Every thing that we discuss here does not have to be from a car owners perspective right ? There are millions of others in this God damn city who are in dire need of transportation.

I think we must support our government in whatever good intended work they are doing and stop complaining on every possible opportunity available. After all, this work is being carried out for the betterment of the city ,right ?

Some of us have asked whether all this should have been taken up simultaneously? And my answer is yes!. We are already behind time in improving our transportation system.
The problem is not just from cars perspective. Everbody using the road including emergency(ambulance, dire, etc) are the ones facing the problem. So they will complain first. Check out that perspective too. Imagine the plight of someone dying in an ambulance needing to get help fast. That person is good as dead in todays scenario. I don't think that can be justified by any reason.

Its just that there is a way to do stuff. If a person is dying of thirst, throwing him into the sea is not justified. He would be just as dead.
Old 20th January 2017, 13:13   #1560
Senior - BHPian

Some exhibition at NSE till 23rd Jan. Super traffic due to it. Please note and plan accordingly. You wouldn't want to take the service road. Even Mrinal Gore Flyover jammed due to this.

Most Viewed