Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2018, 20:31   #1636
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by avdhesh15 View Post
The situation in Navi Mumbai has gone from bad (last month) to pathetic (this week). There are 8-10 potholes in the middle of the highway which cause jams of kilometers together. It's unbelievable that the authorities are so insensitive that it repeats every single year!
Really sad to hear. Back in the days, it was an absolute breeze to drive in Navi Mumbai. With newly laid out wide roads, planned infrastructure and minimal traffic, we used to calculate ETA something like (Number of kms + 2 mins overhead) mins door to door.
arun687 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 22:33   #1637
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
Really sad to hear. Back in the days, it was an absolute breeze to drive in Navi Mumbai. With newly laid out wide roads, planned infrastructure and minimal traffic, we used to calculate ETA something like (Number of kms + 2 mins overhead) mins door to door.
Exactly my point. No matter how much you develop new Infra and/or improve the old one, there is a limit on how much each avenue can take it. Roads have limitations and in Mumbai there is a limit on how many or wide roads you can develop.

We have the highest car density and I see too many people driving solo in peak hours. Can't blame them as this might be their only option or they deserve to splurge their money but we have to start thinking about sustainability and also demand the same from authorities.

1) Need to discourage driving cars for errands and also discourage unnecessary ownership of multiple cars in a family.
2) Need to demand better infra with quality work. Current workmanship is shoddy and carried out by those who care least about quality.
3) Ask for better alternatives such as better trains or metro or bus transport.
4) Demand transparency in Municipal dealings and quality of work done by the contractors.

I work in Airoli at a newly developed facility classified as an SEZ. The CM had visited our office last year in summer and the road was awesome. Currently it is not there at all. The road is now an off-roading track actually with too many potholes, rather craters, that they don't look like potholes any more. Those are now multi-feet wide and meters in length. So deep that even Innovas find it difficult to balance and avoid hitting stone underneath.

What was good (not great) may years ago is not sufficient anymore due to growth in population and lowering of quality of maintenance.

Even the upcoming Metro is behind in planning by a decade I believe.
sunilch is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st August 2018, 22:34   #1638
Senior - BHPian

The highway in Navi Mumbai from Vashi to Panvel is going from bad to worse. The drive which should take about 45 minutes now takes hours.
One of the worst sections are Kopra, Kharghar to Belapur flyover, Turbhe junction, before Vashi toll plaza.
The demand for a 3rd bridge between Mumbai and Navi Mumbai is going up. There was a proposal for a bridge from Vikhroli to Ghansoli but that's only on paper. The Sewri -Nhava link is still in the pipeline. With the airport job going on in full swing, the roads leading to the new airport are pathetic.
We can just hope for the situation to improve.
Old 22nd August 2018, 14:28   #1639
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
The highway in Navi Mumbai from Vashi to Panvel is going from bad to worse. The drive which should take about 45 minutes now takes hours.
One of the worst sections are Kopra, Kharghar to Belapur flyover, Turbhe junction, before Vashi toll plaza.
The demand for a 3rd bridge between Mumbai and Navi Mumbai is going up. There was a proposal for a bridge from Vikhroli to Ghansoli but that's only on paper. The Sewri -Nhava link is still in the pipeline. With the airport job going on in full swing, the roads leading to the new airport are pathetic.
We can just hope for the situation to improve.
Well, hope springs eternal in the human breast, as the saying goes. However, I've decided I'm not waiting for my suspension to give way, after I spent 2 hours going from Belapur to Sion yesterday evening, just because of the potholes in the road. The last straw was the pitiful sight of a truck with a busted suspension, deep in one of the potholes outside Vashi Gaon. So I'm getting myself a 1-month railway pass right now, after spending 18 years on this route by road, and will see how it goes. Just the savings in fuel and toll will make it worthwhile.
Cheers
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2018, 16:06   #1640
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FarPatel View Post
So I'm getting myself a 1-month railway pass right now, after spending 18 years on this route by road, and will see how it goes. Just the savings in fuel and toll will make it worthwhile.
Cheers
That's a wise decision indeed.
Considering the time, money and energy spent, it's better to go by train especially if you are time bound and go to work.
Hope this problem remains only till the monsoon lasts and they immediately repair the roads.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th September 2018, 09:57   #1641
Senior - BHPian

Fadnavis Government Gives Ganesh Chaturthi Gift, Waives Off Toll For Commuters Going Home From Mumbai.

Quote:
Maharashtra State Public Works Department Minister Eknath Shinde has said that the government would waive toll fees between 10 and 13 September in order to ease traffic during Ganeshotsav, Hindustan Times has reported.

The toll waiver will be applicable to those travelling from Mumbai, Thane towards Konkan via Pune expressway and the Mumbai-Goa highway. The toll waiver will also be applicable for Maharashtra state road transport buses.

“Motorists who are travelling to their hometowns for the festival can get a sticker that says, ‘Ganeshotsav-2018 Konkan Darshan’ from the traffic police and regional transport RTOs,” Shinde said.

The Minister also added that commuters returning from Konkan to Mumbai and Thane on 23 September would also not be required to pay toll.

The toll has been exempted to reduce traffic jams.

The Maharashtra minister has also ordered his department to fill up all potholes and complete repair work on the highway before the commencement of the festival season. “The work to fill up the potholes on the highway is going on and it will be completed before the festival commences,” the minister said.

Many to their hometowns in Raigad, Ratnagiri, Satara, Sangli, Ahmad Nagar and other places of the state from Mumbai and Navi Mumbai during Ganeshotsav festival season.
News Source : https://swarajyamag.com/insta/fadnav...me-from-mumbai
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st November 2018, 08:52   #1642
BHPian

We now stand to lose our riding/driving privileges for 3 months if we commit certain traffic violations according to this Mumbai Mirror article. A good move, but will it be implemented in the right spirit or will this turn out to be just another way to harass us on the roads?

Quote:
According to the notification issued by ADG, driving licence should be suspended for minimum three months if a motorist is found driving under the influence of alcohol, using a mobile phone while driving, over-speeding, jumping red light or if the heavy vehicles are overloading and are found transporting passengers more than the prescribed limit. The notification stated that in charge of all the police stations and traffic branch have been tasked with the responsibility to send a maximum number of licence suspension proposals to RTO. All the police unit heads have been asked to take the periodic review and send a weekly action taken a report to the office of State Highway Police.
So I was riding to my cousin's place in Goregaon on Sunday afternoon and there was a lot of traffic from the Juhu Circle Signal. Filtering my way till DN Nagar police station took about 15 mins, compared to barely 2 mins normally. And then I found out the reason for traffic being backed up. It was policemen in khaki uniforms in front of the DN Nagar Police Station who were stopping motorists for "checking". The road has already been reduced to a single lane due to Metro construction and my cousin says that this "checking" is a daily occurrence of late. Wonder why.

@Mods can we discuss suspension of driving license in a new thread if it has not already been done?

Last edited by Shumi_21 : 21st November 2018 at 08:57.
Old 21st November 2018, 15:16   #1643
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shumi_21 View Post
We now stand to lose our riding/driving privileges for 3 months if we commit certain traffic violations according to this Mumbai Mirror article. A good move, but will it be implemented in the right spirit or will this turn out to be just another way to harass us on the roads?
If implemented to its fullest extent - it would result in 8 out of every 10 drivers being off the road for 3 months.

But, it really just looks looks like another way to line the pockets.
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:27   #1644
BHPian

Going from western suburbs into Nariman Point area, is the farmer strike going to be a cause for worry on this route?
Old 22nd November 2018, 14:46   #1645
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixantz View Post
Going from western suburbs into Nariman Point area, is the farmer strike going to be a cause for worry on this route?
Shouldn't be. From what I heard - they will be coming from Dadar to Azad Maidan, so should take the back route (JJ Flyover side).

Stick to the highway and main roads and you should be fine but keep a few minutes in hand extra just in case.
Old 24th November 2018, 14:39   #1646
Senior - BHPian

Mumbai-bound Versova creek bridge to be partially shut for a month for repairs.

Quote:
Motorists entering the city from Delhi, Gujarat, Palghar, Vasai-Virar will have to brace for heavy traffic as the Mumbai bound Versova creek bridge at Ghodbunder junction will be partially shut for light vehicles for about a month.

From November 26 to December 24, light vehicles will be allowed to use only one of the two-lane Mumbai bound bridge.
News Source.
SJM1214 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2018, 19:34   #1647
Distinguished - BHPian

What’s wrong with Google maps? It showed me a 14 minute journey from Tulsi Pipe Road, Dadar to Lalbaug. It’s been 30 minutes since then, and I am still stuck about 400 metres from the Elphinstone Bridge. Has the insane traffic at Elphinstone and Lower Parel broken Google’s algorithms? My guess - Google may think that all the cars waiting here are parked - and measuring the time taken by people walking with their phones.
Old 4th December 2018, 20:42   #1648
Distinguished - BHPian

Made it at last. 1 hour 40 minutes to cover 1 km from just before the Elphinstone flyover to Parel TT.

(Mods : apologies for back to back posts - but they are separated by 1 hour)
Old 4th December 2018, 21:13   #1649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJM1214 View Post
Mumbai-bound Versova creek bridge to be partially shut for a month for repairs.

News Source.

The repair work has started today. Took me 2 hours today instead of the normal 1.15 min from Vasai to Malad.

The worst part is that it's the new bridge which is under repair not the old one !
dean5545 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2018, 23:43   #1650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
The repair work has started today. Took me 2 hours today instead of the normal 1.15 min from Vasai to Malad.
Well they started the work on the new bridge full fledge on the 7th.
Being a Friday, while going to work I didn't expect there to be much traffic as most of the factories are shut on Friday.
But boy oh boy I was in for a big suprise. At 9:45am there was traffic uptil Suvi Palace. Looking at that state, I thought I'll leave a little early so that I won't waste more than an hour being stuck there.
I left my fcatory at around 5:15pm and reached Krishna resort which is opposite Mc Donald's around 5:30pm. I could only cross fountain at around 8:55pm.
Mumbai Traffic-img_20181207_173841.jpg

Near McDonald's at 5:30pm

Mumbai Traffic-img_20181207_173828__01.jpg

Reached Suvi Palace only around 7pm that's just 1km. From where I got stuck.

Mumbai Traffic-img_20181207_184632.jpg

Crossed the bridge only at 8:55pm.
Mumbai Traffic-img20181207wa0010.jpg

So only one lane is to be used on the Mumbai bound bridge. Four lanes of traffic is being forced to use only one lane while entering the city, one can only imagine the chaos!
Finally I reached home sharp at 10:00pm and decided to travel by train till this madness gets over.

This was the case today at 4:30pm
Mumbai Traffic-img20181208wa0006.jpg

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks