Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th December 2018, 00:44   #1651
BHPian

Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverKill View Post

So only one lane is to be used on the Mumbai bound bridge. Four lanes of traffic is being forced to use only one lane while entering the city, one can only imagine the chaos!
Finally I reached home sharp at 10:00pm and decided to travel by train till this madness gets over.
I have already taken a first class pass.
I didn't go to vasai today.
Tommorow I need to take the car as I have some work. If there is more traffic while heading home I'll comed by train and let the driver bring the car
I do this every time there is traffic. There have been times where I have reached home taking the train had dinner watched tv for 45minutes and then saw the driver enter my building gate.

The problem nowadays is that there is quite
a bit of traffic to reach Vasai station too(Dad took 40minutes to reach station which is 5km from my factory). But that's only during peak hours.

Last edited by dean5545 : 9th December 2018 at 00:53.
dean5545 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th March 2019, 10:30   #1652
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

The Sion flyover on Ambedkar road is expected to be shut for 2 months from April 20 for the load bearing member repairs. Already delayed by an year, the most frequently used flyover as a link between Sion & Chunabatti is going to increase the traffic snarls on the Eastern express highway in the coming days.

Quote:
Closure of the bridge would lead to traffic diversions and could cause jams on other roads between Thane and south Mumbai
Quote:
The repair work includes changing of bearings and expansion joints on the 1.1-km-long flyover that was constructed in the late 1990s
https://www.dnaindia.com/mumbai/repo...ril-20-2734556
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th April 2019, 21:41   #1653
Senior - BHPian

I was travelling back home from my Airoli office via the SCLR road today evening. At around the Kalina area a inspector gestured in my direction to stop the vehicle. Just ahead of me there is a truck which is going in the same direction. Confused and not sure if the cop signaled me or the at the truck I slow down but do not stop and proceed away slowly checking in the rear view mirror. I see that cop looking at my car but again since I was not sure if I was the intended vehicle to stop I proceed slowly.

Just at the next signal a few metres from the above incident I stop for a red light. Immediately another cop knocks on my left side window and asks me in a stern voice why I did not stop the car. I politely tell him I was not sure if it was me or the truck the cop wanted to stop I kept driving. He goes on to say if one is signalled he should stop, he can fine me for not doing so and that they are not stupid to stand on road just like that. I keep my cool and do not say anything except the same that I did not understand that I was the intended vehicle to stop so I didn't. I was then let off without any further questions.

I was wondering that what this was all about as neither there was any signal nor any (now defunct) octroi posts where I have been stopped and even chased many times by octroi officials at the Mulund Airoli check naka. I had noticed a gentleman standing next to the second cop wearing a neck tag which said "comission" . I later on realized that it must have been due to the oncoming election season that random checking must be going on. I just posted this as a warning to fellow readers about such random checks going, so be aware of such things and be cool when the cops stop you. Next time when a cop asks to stop at least I plan to stop and confirm whether it's me or someone else (You know what I have stopped before when cops had asked me to do so in other incidents) it was just plain unpleasant luck that I had to face a unhappy policeman while travelling back home.

Last edited by sumeethaldankar : 16th April 2019 at 21:44.
sumeethaldankar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 00:52   #1654
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
....I later on realized that it must have been due to the oncoming election season that random checking must be going on.
Yes it is very likely because of that. I live near a very buys signal and right at a round-about which is also very central in my area and hence quite busy. There was a heavy checking of all the cars two days back and in many cases they were also checking the boots of the cars. No fines or anything like that if you are a regular joe with nothing in the boot. That day they were not asking for papers
sunilch is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 08:55   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
What’s wrong with Google maps? It showed me a 14 minute journey from Tulsi Pipe Road, Dadar to Lalbaug.
Never trust Google maps for Elphinstone traffic. After being stuck there for over 40 minutes on a couple of occasions both from Dadar side and Prabhadevi side, I avoid this bridge at all costs.
The best way to come from the suburbs to Parel is to get off Tulsi pipe road early and use Dadar TT bridge. This way one also does not have to negotiate the metro construction work parallel to Tulsi pipe road.

On another note, there has been road repairs going on under the end of Lalbagh flyover for the past 2 weeks now.
Mumbai Traffic-img_20190417_081452.jpg
Because of this, no cars can pass and there is a compulsory right through lanes where there are clusters of hospitals. This is frustrating for patients( because of the noise) as well as motorists.
A 10 minute drive from my place to Matunga now takes over 30minutes

Last edited by Pratyush2407 : 17th April 2019 at 09:16.
Pratyush2407 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th April 2019, 09:06   #1656
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumeethaldankar View Post
. I had noticed a gentleman standing next to the second cop wearing a neck tag which said "comission" . I later on realized that it must have been due to the oncoming election season that random checking must be going on.
Yes, lots of checking going on for cash etc. On Monday, we were stopped in a UP reg media car that we were testing after the Panvel toll plaza on NH 48. Just asked to open the car, checked bags and let go after asking where we came from. There was also a chap doing video recording on a digital camera.
blackwasp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 11:41   #1657
Distinguished - BHPian

Used the BKC Connector to get to work today. Even though I had to travel all the way to the Kurla flyover to take a U Turn to get to the connector, and my total distance was 1 km more than my usual LBS Road route (and 2 km more than the shortest Dharavi route), I saved between 10 and 15 minutes. Dispersal at the BKC end is on one way streets. Hope it stays as good going forward. Longer distance, less time and I dare say less fuel is a great deal
Hayek is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 12:37   #1658
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Used the BKC Connector to get to work today. Even though I had to travel all the way to the Kurla flyover to take a U Turn to get to the connector, and my total distance was 1 km more than my usual LBS Road route (and 2 km more than the shortest Dharavi route), I saved between 10 and 15 minutes. Dispersal at the BKC end is on one way streets. Hope it stays as good going forward. Longer distance, less time and I dare say less fuel is a great deal

Are you referring to the new Chunnabatti BKC flyover inaugurated yesterday?
How is it better than using the SCLR for getting to BKC from the eastern suburbs?
Old 11th November 2019, 15:12   #1659
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
How is it better than using the SCLR for getting to BKC from the eastern suburbs?
I have been taking the SCLR from Amar Mahal to reach Income Tax office building from the last 3 years. It takes around 45-60 minutes during peak time. Today I took the connector and reached the same place in 20 minutes i.e half the time saved. No traffic and good roads as added advantage. Hopefully it stays like this for long which I doubt though.
VWAllstar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 15:48   #1660
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VWAllstar View Post
I have been taking the SCLR from Amar Mahal to reach Income Tax office building from the last 3 years. It takes around 45-60 minutes during peak time. Today I took the connector and reached the same place in 20 minutes i.e half the time saved. No traffic and good roads as added advantage. Hopefully it stays like this for long which I doubt though.

When the SCLR started, you could reach BKC in 25 minutes even in peak traffic then. People don't know about this new connector yet - when they do come to know about it, more people like you will shift to this from the SCLR, so I guess traffic will be split between the two.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 15:48   #1661
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well for starters you avoid a lot of the road & metro work going on that is creating chaotic traffic at the BKC / Santacruz junction (where you turn left for BKC).
I used it yesterday, and though you have to drive longer to access it - if you are coming from Navi Mumbai / Thane, but it is a breeze once you're on it and takes you directly to BKC in minutes!

That being said, I expect the main BKC Signal (where you turn right for the WEH, and left for Dharavi) to be absolute chaos thanks to this once this route becomes popular & recognized on google maps.
Old 11th November 2019, 18:28   #1662
BHPian

Quote:
When the SCLR started, you could reach BKC in 25 minutes even in peak traffic then. People don't know about this new connector yet - when they do come to know about it, more people like you will shift to this from the SCLR, so I guess traffic will be split between the two.
Yeah, that's what I meant. It will be chaos once it is known to many. They have also some ambiguous turns at the BKC end for ex: to go to Indian Oil building you have to go all the way to the left and then take a U turn. Even the helpers are not so well informed about what the ideal route is.

But all said and done, it will split the traffic between SCLR, Dharavi and itself.
Old 27th November 2019, 10:54   #1663
Senior - BHPian

With the new Chunabhatti flyover functional now, Central Railway is planning to close the Chunabhatti railway crossing to improve punctuality of Harbour line trains. This railway crossing is one of the busiest on the Harbour Line.

Source: https://www.mid-day.com/articles/mum...-shut/22160187
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2020, 08:48   #1664
Senior - BHPian

Summary of roads / bridges closed or being repaired in Mumbai.

Source: TOI.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-mum_1.jpg  

ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2020, 03:56   #1665
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
Summary of roads / bridges closed or being repaired in Mumbai.

Source: TOI.
Thanks for sharing this. It's important and in the spirit of info sharing, but certainly not good news here. One more batch of flies in the already liberally fly-speckled ointment of Mumbai commute. Horrible state of affairs and apparently more addition of stress for the average Mumbai commuter.

As if the Metro construction is not havoc enough, now the only other means of faster commute in places, the flyovers/bridges are being cordoned. How do the authorities expect people to exist in sane minds on a day-to-day basis is beyond my imagination. There appears to be no sense or planning put into anything with these works and everything is being blocked at the same time.

Besides the obvious hazardous levels of stress this creates for all humans, its so wasteful of us, of natural resources, if you take into consideration how much extra fuel we are wasting because of the resulting constant jams.

More stress, fuel wastage, pollution, time waste, overall health deterioration for all involved. Free of cost. No, wait, we're paying for using up double the fuel we should be using.

I'm not sure if even God can help us here, because apparently we can't help ourselves at this moment.
pixantz is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks