Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2020, 16:57   #1666
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)
Re: Mumbai Traffic

For those who are driving regularly - how is the traffic these days? Is the Western Express Highway packed as much as during pre-COVID times or is it better? If I am driving from Kandivili towards Ghatkopar at 8:00 pm on a weekday, what is the best route for me to take? And how much time should I expect it to take?
Old 19th August 2020, 18:33   #1667
BHPian

At that hour you should be ok, as you would be going in the opposite direction of the traffic.
So roadblocks and diversions due to metro activities.

Kandivali to JVLR should be smooth, JVLR to Powai might be slower. Haven't gone beyond Powai, so won't know about that side.
Old 19th August 2020, 20:17   #1668
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofromcapone View Post
JVLR to Powai might be slower.
How bad would that be? In non-COVID times, I know it would have been terrible. So just trying to figure out if traffic is reduced now with several people working from home or not?
Old 16th September 2020, 20:51   #1669
Senior - BHPian

Good news for Mumbaikars.
MSRTDC has started Fastag at Vashi Toll Naka. Two lanes on each side were dedicated Fastag lanes, but I saw cash people also entering. I hope the facility has been extended at Mulund, Airoil, Dahsisar nakas.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th September 2020, 10:20   #1670
Senior - BHPian

Toll rates at Mumbai entry point booths at Vashi, Mulund, LBS Marg, Airoli and Dahisar will go up from October 1. The one-way toll for a passenger car, which was Rs35, will now be Rs40.

Quote:
A state government notification said for toll recovery against cost of flyovers, bridges, subways and road development besides maintenance, the increase of roughly 18% in rates is made effective every three years. The toll of Rs35 has been constant for six years. The new rates will be applicable till September 30, 2023
So in short motorists will have to pay more for Bigger and Better POTHOLES for next few years.

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/78304169.cms
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-pot.jpg  

RM Motorsports is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 5th November 2020, 10:43   #1671
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruzbehxyz View Post
MSRTDC has started Fastag at Vashi Toll Naka. Two lanes on each side were dedicated Fastag lanes, but I saw cash people also entering. I hope the facility has been extended at Mulund, Airoil, Dahsisar nakas.
Yes, but it's creating more problems at the moment. The innermost lanes on either side are for Fastag-cars, and the 4th or 5th lane for Fastag-trucks.
The innermost lanes seem to be permanently used for opposite traffic due to the heavy rush during office hours, so by the time you realise this its too late to cut into the traffic to get into the truck lane.
Sort of defeats the purpose, doesn't it? I argued with the staff a couple of times, even showed them the govt notification about not having to pay if the sensor doesn't work, but then they too are helpless as they're not the authority responsible for installating the sensors in all the lanes.
Can't wait for the trains to start regular services for the general public so that this problem is reduced to some extent.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2020, 17:38   #1672
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
FASTAG can now be used at Mulund-Airoli toll.

Last edited by Aditya : 15th November 2020 at 23:02. Reason: Typo
Lij is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 10:59   #1673
BHPian

Do we have any clear update from the authorities about wearing a mask in your personal vehicles when you're with your family or traveling solo? Most cities like Pune have it mandatory and there's no logic to it honestly. I wear glasses and they fog up when I am wearing a mask and that's a huge risk for me while I am driving. I have tried changing masks although nothing has helped.

Do we have any updates about what the Mumbai police is implementing?
kalpeshc is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 19:52   #1674
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
FASTAG can now be used at Mulund-Airoli toll.
How do we get monthly pass on FASTAG ? or we continue with the MEP one ?
there is no information on this.
ShaileshHinge is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:32   #1675
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post
With Fastag, you will have to pay Rs. 40 each time you pass by the toll.
With the monthly pass on the MEP, you can save some amount, however you will have to select the non Fastag lane.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:34   #1676
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaileshHinge View Post

You will have to continue on MEP monthly pass & take care to NOT enter Fastag lane. At Airoli toll the MEP monthly pass/ETC lane is clearly marked.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th November 2020, 20:36   #1677
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
You will have to continue on MEP monthly pass & take care to NOT enter Fastag lane. At Airoli toll the MEP monthly pass/ETC lane is clearly marked.
This is exactly what I have said.

Even at the Vashi toll naka, the lanes are clearly marked. So if you have the MEP, you should not enter the Fastag lane and vice-versa.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 27th November 2020 at 20:39.
Old 3rd July 2021, 10:59   #1678
Senior - BHPian

Road closure at Andheri till August 31 for Metro work.

The north bound arm of New Link Road from the Indian Oil Junction to Chitrakoot junction in Andheri (W) will remain closed from July 1 to August 31, 2021, for Metro construction work.

Source: https://m.timesofindia.com/city/mumb...campaign=cppst
ruzbehxyz is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 08:19   #1679
Senior - BHPian

Flyover on Ghatkopar-Mankhurd road finally opened on 01st Aug. 2021.

Mumbai Traffic-images-15.jpeg
Source: TOI., 02nd Aug. 2021.

Quote:
The 2.9-km-long Ghatkopar-Mankhurd flyover was opened for traffic from Sunday after much delay. The flyover is expected to bring relief for those travelling between Navi Mumbai and Mumbai from the traffic congestion on Ghatkopar-Mankhurd Link Road. Chief minister Uddhav Thackeray, who inaugurated the flyover, for which construction started half a decade ago, asked the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) to ensure the surface of the flyover is made smooth.

The BMC had also made a design change in the flyover by adding a connector to the Deonar dumping ground due to which the construction cost of the flyover was increased to over ₹700 crore. The flyover is expected to bring relief to the traffic on Ghatkopar-Mankhurd Link Road that is used by motorists heading towards Navi Mumbai, Lonavala and further to Pune.
Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...832362184.html

My observation: The flyover will no doubt give relief to commuters, however the design of the flyover is such that it will create bottlenecks at both ends. At the Mankhurd end, the flyover ends just before the Sion-Chembur road. At the Ghatkopar end, the flyover ends at the junction of the Eastern freeway, which will cause another bottleneck. Instead they should have given a direct two lane connector, at least on the Ghatkopar end, for seemless travel, like how they have a connector for trucks going to Deonar dumping ground. Overall something is better than nothing, but more detailed planning is required.

Last edited by ruzbehxyz : 2nd August 2021 at 08:22.
ruzbehxyz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2021, 19:38   #1680
BHPian

Quote:
Flyover on Ghatkopar-Mankhurd road finally opened on 01st Aug. 2021.

Attachment 2187182
Source: TOI., 02nd Aug. 2021.

Source: https://www.hindustantimes.com/citie...832362184.html

My observation: The flyover will no doubt give relief to commuters, however the design of the flyover is such that it will create bottlenecks at both ends. At the Mankhurd end, the flyover ends just before the Sion-Chembur road. At the Ghatkopar end, the flyover ends at the junction of the Eastern freeway, which will cause another bottleneck. Instead they should have given a direct two lane connector, at least on the Ghatkopar end, for seemless travel, like how they have a connector for trucks going to Deonar dumping ground. Overall something is better than nothing, but more detailed planning is required.
You're right about the bottlenecks developing at the two ends, especially the Mankhurd end, since the traffic from the service road on the left cuts in, in order to turn right towards Mumbai. I experienced this traffic jam this morning. Apart from this, the trip was very stress-free, as I could avoid going through Chembur on my way to Navi Mumbai. The opposite lane was closed this morning, though, so I took the Chembur route for my return trip in the evening in case it was still closed. Hope it is opened to traffic tomorrow.
FarPatel is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed