Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 21:53   #286
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carzone View Post
Are you talking about the Mahavir Nagar area or somewhere close by. I am not well verse with the names in those areas, but think I know what area you are talking about.

I too was in a similar situation on one of those dug up roads near Mahavir Nagar at around 10 in the night. Parking on the sides of the roads make matters even worse.
yes mahavir nagar.
the bad part is that my building is on that road so i have to pass from there so many times everyday.

around an hour back an i10 slightly brushed against my car because there was a tempo parked on the left and the i10 was in the wrong way, so my car got sandwiched between them.
StrangeWizard is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 22:07   #287
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
yes mahavir nagar.
the bad part is that my building is on that road so i have to pass from there so many times everyday.

around an hour back an i10 slightly brushed against my car because there was a tempo parked on the left and the i10 was in the wrong way, so my car got sandwiched between them.
Thats very sad. The civic authorites do not realize the problem of the public.
The road in front of my house has been dug up for repairs for 3 months almost now, and even if the repair work has been completed about a month ago, the road has not yet been made and thrown open for traffic. The result, traffic jams every evening on a busy road connecting station.

Number of complaints/suggestions have gone un-noticed.
Old 14th February 2013, 08:27   #288
SDP
Team-BHP Support

Guys, hope you are tracking the discussion on the following thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...rive-cars.html

Hope the Google-cars materialize in Mumbai soon. People who find driving in Mumbai-traffic frustrating would be pleased as they no longer would have to drive their car. People who employ a driver would be pleased as they no longer have to put up with the tantrums from their driver.

Day-dreaming again!
SDP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 10:39   #289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeWizard View Post
yes mahavir nagar.around an hour back an i10 slightly brushed against my car because there was a tempo parked on the left and the i10 was in the wrong way, so my car got sandwiched between them.
Hello,

I live at Malad & frequently visit mahavir Nagar in Kandivali. Yes the traffic situation is really bad in Mahavir Nagar. Especially after all those fast food outlets have come up. On weekends, I see people parking their Cars on two lanes of the road & leaving only one lane for traffic (including Buses) to pass.

How can we even expect traffic police to monitor situation here? If is purely a matter of self-discipline. Till the time people do not understand value of their own & others time & safety, I feel the situation on Indian roads will not improve.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 10:58   #290
BHPian

I drive through Mahavir Nager every day, once early in the morning and once in the evening. Evenings that road is simply pathetic. Seemingly educated folks, and the way they park is so disturbing. But then, its a general trend in Bombay traffic, not to bother about the convenience of other road users- rather, not to bother about the other road users at all. Running red lights is the norm. Lane cutting, which used to be pretty rare in Bombay till even 3-4 years back is quite common now. And there is no sense of apology in the person breaking the law.

And the police only care about drunk driving and about hiding behind trees and parked vehicles to catch unsuspecting red light runners to make some money.
prabuddhadg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 15:38   #291
BHPian

Yesterday evening the entire North bound carriage on the WE highway between Bandra Kala Nagar and Jogeshwari was jammed thanks to a lone truck which decided to die on the JVLR flyover. The worse part was the truck stopped at such a bad angle that only 1 car could go at a time. Most irritating was the fact that the guys were trying to repair it on the same spot instead of towing it away.

Today morning the South bound carriage was no different from Andheri to Bandra Kala Nagar at least. However what surprised me was this long trailer on the Vakola flyover during the crazy peak hours & as usual he was driving right in the middle of the road. Other vehicles had to dangerously overtake the trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Mumbai Traffic-img_20130215_103840.jpg  

Maverick1977 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 16:05   #292
BHPian

What luck!!!! I had left office early from Lower Parel and reached JVLR in

about 50 minutes.

Had I left at my regular hours .....
Old 15th February 2013, 16:10   #293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
However what surprised me was this long trailer on the Vakola flyover during the crazy peak hours & as usual he was driving right in the middle of the road. Other vehicles had to dangerously overtake the trailer.
Everyday I see a lot of trucks instructed to come to a side immediately after toll naka at Mulund on EEH. The police are always waiting to get such trucks and most truckers should know it. Why do they try their luck everyday? They increase corruption (enticing policemen to take bribe) and inconvenience office goers.
sa_kiran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th February 2013, 21:50   #294
BHPian

Drove from Thane to Vile Parle today morning at about 8.30, and it was a smooth ride (smooth = having a chance to drive in the 3rd gear ) Here are a few grouses:

1. People who need to take the right on the EEH and go to Powai block all the lanes, even the left most one and then try to take the right, not only causing a delay for us, but also blocking the southward lanes.

2. The concrete slabs used for making the divider on the JVLR have fallen on the road near Hiranandani junction, blocking almost half the right lane. No idea if this happened today or is a common feature.

3. Jaywalkers crossing the road, slowing down the traffic, right under the foot over-bridges
Old 19th February 2013, 08:45   #295
BHPian

Northbound traffic on the W E Highway stopped due to VVIP movement.

This was around 08:00 today morning all the way from Kala Nagar flyover to Santacruz Airport Signal.

Please check status before you leave if you travel on the same route.

Southbound traffic unaffected.
arup.misra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2013, 15:31   #296
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Was surprised to see cops on the south bound stretch of the Sealink at 12noon today fining cars for over-speeding.

Last edited by PPS : 26th February 2013 at 15:32.
Old 26th February 2013, 17:16   #297
BHPian

^^ this has been going on for about a week now. Regulars just slow down for a few seconds and then take off once the stretch is over. IMHO, cops should not be inconveniencing the entire traffic but can collect fines near to the exit. They can pass on the numbers on walkie-talkies. They are not only risking their own lives but forcing people to slow down suddenly on the sea-link which was actually built to save time.
Old 26th February 2013, 18:10   #298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Was surprised to see cops on the south bound stretch of the Sealink at 12noon today fining cars for over-speeding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abdriver2000 View Post
^^ this has been going on for about a week now. Regulars just slow down for a few seconds and then take off once the stretch is over.
Hello,

This will mostly be a temporary action by the cops to complete their monthly collection targets. I doubt whether they are genuinely interested in forcing the drivers to control their speeds.

Also in ideal situation, drivers should adhere to speed limits (which I believe is 60 KMPL on this road) which they rarely do.

But rather than stopping the traffic near exit, they should simply scan the in & out timings (based on toll receipt). Based on this average speed can be easily calculated by the computer & fine can be easily imposed on the defaulting drivers.

Thanks,
Old 26th February 2013, 19:43   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
This will mostly be a temporary action by the cops to complete their monthly collection targets. I doubt whether they are genuinely interested in forcing the drivers to control their speeds.
+1. Its month end and they need something to fill their monthly pockets.

Quote:
Also in ideal situation, drivers should adhere to speed limits (which I believe is 60 KMPL on this road) which they rarely do.
Its 50Kmph, which IMO, is a bit too less for the quality of the road. Regarding the users, I think its on a person's mindset. I am comfortable doing around 70 kmph on the sealink, considering the traffic obviously, but the people who think sealink is made for a 200 kmph sprint, God bless them.

Quote:
But rather than stopping the traffic near exit, they should simply scan the in & out timings (based on toll receipt). Based on this average speed can be easily calculated by the computer & fine can be easily imposed on the defaulting drivers.
I doubt this is possible. What would you do for the ones who have monthly passes. AFAIK, they don't get a daily receipt when passing through the sealink. What if I enter from the worli end, where no one notes down my entry time!
Placing speed guns at around every 500mts would be the only way from not letting people speed all down. Also, speed limit should be increased, thats what I feel. Afterall, sealink was made for reducing the time, and not for crawling on it at 50kmph.
carzone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th February 2013, 12:43   #300
BHPian

Quote:
Hello All,

Drivers rejoice. Finally the third lane on JVLR Junction is open to traffic & believe me the traffic jams have just vanished today morning.

In my opinion, this one development has reduced our travel time by 10 - 15 minutes. I am wondering how much will be the fuel costs savings?

Thanks,
Ever sine the JVLR junction work finished couple of weeks ago, travelling on that stretch has become an absolute breeze. Minimum daily saving of 10 minutes and some on the fuel as well.

Perhaps they should add these time and cost savings multiplied by the number of people traveling through the junction when imposing fines on contractors for delays.

Most Viewed