Team-BHP > Street Experiences

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2013, 14:05   #421
BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
I sometimes wonder, is it only the sheer no. of increased cars on the road or something else? For eg: Nothing has changed at the right turn at kanjur marg in terms of infrastructure, but the traffic snarls keep getting longer with the day.
The problem is that the infrastructure was built keeping in mind level of traffic at time of planning, not level of traffic thats going to be there in near future.

I find it hilarious that our civic planners think a one way flyover such as at the Kanjur Marg junction on EEH was ever going to be a long term solution and similarly for the slender 3 lane flyover at sion.

IMHO, If any junction deserves a one way flyover, in most cases it deserves a 2 lane flyover! The level of traffic going one way in the morning is probably equal to the level of traffic returning the other way in the evening - unless half the folks going to work decide to sleep at office itself.
gomzi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 19:04   #422
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Heads Up !The digging for construction of the Kherwadi flyover begins on Monday. Get set for huge jams from monday evenings at Kherwadi. 30 months is the estimated time of completion.
It hasn't yet started! Any update regarding this? Its going to be utter chaos once the monsoon sets in.
Only people to benefit from this would be the folks who sell nuts on the road!
Old 30th April 2013, 19:51   #423
Senior - BHPian

I saw the road cordoned off near the domestic airport while going towards South Mumbai on the WE Highway on Sunday night. Are they doing something there as well.
Old 30th April 2013, 20:02   #424
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
I saw the road cordoned off near the domestic airport while going towards South Mumbai on the WE Highway on Sunday night. Are they doing something there as well.
That is for an underpass for the Sahar Elevated Access Road. It goes from the WEH as an underpass before becoming the flyover joining the airport.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th April 2013, 21:12   #425
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmosedici View Post
That's been the case since the past couple of weeks now. Very rarely will you find this stretch traffic free in the morning rush-hour!
PPS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2013, 13:57   #426
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The one which is directly in line with the temple, I guess its the service road extension which then joins the service road opp the Cinemax/Wondermall. It will be interesting to see whether the bridge manages to break the temple which is bang in the middle of the road or cross above the temple.
Finally the bridged road opp the Paper products co on the Ghodbunder Road near Majiwade/Kapurbavdi is ready with the road laying and asphalting completely done. Suprisingly the temple which was in the way of the bridge has been removed without any hue or cry by political activists. The bridge will be thrown open sooner I guess for the public use otherwise the traffic jamming at the Kapurbavdi circle was getting out of hand
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 11:02   #427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Suprisingly the temple which was in the way of the bridge has been removed without any hue or cry by political activists.
That is really good news. A religious structure being demolished without any protest in my opinion is clearly sign of growing maturity (about accept practical problems) among masses. Especially among local politicians.

I am not getting into religious debate here, but what is illegal is illegal by any means. This is equally applicable to hawkers, shop extensions, religious structures, etc. If all the obstacles on roads / footpaths are removed, roads & streets in Mumbai will not be nightmares for drivers & pedestrians.

Thanks,
Old 3rd May 2013, 20:52   #428
PPS
Senior - BHPian

There was zero traffic from WEH to Malad subway today evening around 6:30pm! All these days i was taking the Goregaon east-west flyover onto Inorbit thinking road towards Malad subway would be chaotic but that wasn't the case.
Old 3rd May 2013, 22:24   #429
BHPian

Quote:
Finally the bridged road opp the Paper products co on the Ghodbunder Road near Majiwade/Kapurbavdi is ready with the road laying and asphalting completely done. Suprisingly the temple which was in the way of the bridge has been removed without any hue or cry by political activists. The bridge will be thrown open sooner I guess for the public use otherwise the traffic jamming at the Kapurbavdi circle was getting out of hand
They have thrown open the bridge to public from today evening. But I see another bottleneck just where the bridge ends and the traffic merges again.
Let's see how it pans out in next few days.
I think the traffic is also thinner these days due to vacations.
Old 4th May 2013, 21:43   #430
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
There was zero traffic from WEH to Malad subway today evening around 6:30pm! All these days i was taking the Goregaon east-west flyover onto Inorbit thinking road towards Malad subway would be chaotic but that wasn't the case.
Hello PPS,

With west to east road of Malad subway being closed, the traffic situation has really improved in the area in general. Infact crossing Malad subway from East to West direction is a breeze now-a-days.

Today I spoke a traffic constable near the Malad subway RTO post & he told me that the current work will be completed by 30th May for sure & the rest of the work will be done after monsoons.

Thanks,
Jignesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2013, 10:39   #431
Senior - BHPian

Hello All,

Western Express Highway is jammed packed today morning right from Times of India fly-over to JVLR Junction.

Does anyone has anybody has any idea as to what is the cause of this massive traffic built-up this Monday morning?

The traffic is almost standstill & moving dead slow. With summer at it's peak the driver's frustration levels are also reaching saturation point making people honk wildly & indulge in petty fights.

Thanks,
Old 13th May 2013, 11:47   #432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by engrohit View Post
They have thrown open the bridge to public from today evening. But I see another bottleneck just where the bridge ends and the traffic merges again.
Let's see how it pans out in next few days.
I think the traffic is also thinner these days due to vacations.
I took this tiny bridge few days ago. It does segregate traffic efficiently with those going straight on down ghodbunder road taking the bridge, but with increasing traffic, this small bridge could soon be overwhelmed.
It just seems to be a stop gap measure until the main flyover is completed.
Old 13th May 2013, 12:16   #433
Senior - BHPian

Hello,

Some good news from Mumbai:

Cases of drivers "caught" talking on mobiles phones while driving has decreased 57% in 2012 as compared to 2011.

Similarly, other offences that recorded a fall are:
Drunk driving - 13.24%
Over speeding - 95%
Riding without Helmet - 5%
No Parking - 43.75%
Driving without seat belt - 52%

Source - http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/c...w/20021767.cms

Though, frankly speaking the above are only recorded numbers, there are many who escape uncaught, specially those using phone, riding without helmets & over speeders.

Thanks,
Old 13th May 2013, 14:18   #434
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Hello All,

Western Express Highway is jammed packed today morning right from Times of India fly-over to JVLR Junction.

Does anyone has anybody has any idea as to what is the cause of this massive traffic built-up this Monday morning?

The traffic is almost standstill & moving dead slow. With summer at it's peak the driver's frustration levels are also reaching saturation point making people honk wildly & indulge in petty fights.

Thanks,
We also got stuck in this line -up. Though at 10 AM it was moving at a slow pace. No break downs seen anywhere between Borivali to JVLR fly over. I think WEH has a habit of getting itself jammed without any reason.
Old 24th May 2013, 21:04   #435
Senior - BHPian

Aarey Road has been relayered at many spots. Much better at the moment. Waiting for the first couple of rains to see whether it gets washed away as usual.

Most Viewed