Team-BHP > Street Experiences
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th October 2011, 14:08   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Mumbai Traffic

To all those complaing about Mumbai traffic- Drive to Pune and see the difference. The moment you leave the E-Way, its a chaos right till you reach your destination. The main problem with Pune is the two wheeler traffic. That, being less in Bombay, the traffic (though enormous) is disciplined.
Old 13th October 2011, 14:25   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swanand Inamdar View Post
To all those complaing about Mumbai traffic- Drive to Pune and see the difference. The moment you leave the E-Way, its a chaos right till you reach your destination. The main problem with Pune is the two wheeler traffic. That, being less in Bombay, the traffic (though enormous) is disciplined.
Very true. People complaining about traffic in mumbai should try driving in pune or bangalore. One is worse than the other. And taking in view the load of traffic in mumbai, it is much much better than the other two.

I am comparing these 3 places only coz I've driven in these 3 places (and my hometown ASSAM which can't be nrought in this comparisn!). Heard delhi traffic is worse but haven't experienced it so cant comment.
Old 15th October 2011, 01:10   #33
BHPian

anky
hi.
the merc did not belong to mr Thackrey but to a member of shivaji park gymkhana
rgds
Old 23rd October 2011, 15:29   #34
BHPian

just joking about whom the merc belonged to . Was trying to show that in most cases influential people can get away with parking anywhere at anytime.
Old 23rd October 2011, 23:31   #35
BHPian

anky
hi
Influential people get away.
Navratri scene outside Vijay sales: during evening peak hours a SUV with very dark glasses double parked on the main lady jamshedji road effectively reducing the road to a single lane.
rgds
Old 14th February 2012, 08:09   #36
Senior - BHPian

JVLR finally operational

BHPians,

The JVLR is finally operational with the opening of the (road over railway) bridges on the Kanjurmarg railways section thrown open to public since yesterday. This was done without any much fan fare keeping into account the BMC elections due on 16th Feb although it looks like it was done just to make it before the election day.

However it seems that the work is not entirely finished as it was evident by the unleveled roads when coming to Eastern express highway from Powai. There's a dangerous stretch immediately after the new bridge where the chances of collision with the vehicles coming from the original bridge are very high. Also the old bridge roads needs to be repaired/smoothened to make the traffic smooth.

Anyone travelled on this stretch yet?
Old 20th February 2012, 14:53   #37
Senior - BHPian

One thing I have noticed now-a-days in Mumbai or for that matter in most places in India - The moment Signal turns Green everyone just want their car / bikes to start moving. Even people waiting almost 50 - 75 meters away form the signal start honking the moment they see that signal has turned green.

They somehow fail to understand that there are almost 20 / 25 vehicles ahead of them & it will take some time (probably a few seconds) for them to start moving.

Yes. I accept two wheeler traffic is a real trouble in Pune & Banglore as compared to Mumbai, but those driving in Mumbai especially on JVLR & Western Express Highway in evenings are seriously the ones who experience ugly side of Mumbai trafffic.

Thanks,
Old 20th February 2012, 14:56   #38
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
One thing I have noticed now-a-days in Mumbai or for that matter in most places in India - The moment Signal turns Green everyone just want their car / bikes to start moving. Even people waiting almost 50 - 75 meters away form the signal start honking the moment they see that signal has turned green.
Another thing which people don't get is that if they are first at the signal, its their responsibility to pay attention to the damn thing. There are people dreaming for a good 10 seconds after the signal turns green before they start moving. Its because of people like that, that the habit of honking spreads.

Though anyway, besides a few cabbies, I've noticed the honking has gone down a fair amount.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:06   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Though anyway, besides a few cabbies, I've noticed the honking has gone down a fair amount.
Hello Akshay,

Yes, Honking may have gone down in Mumbai in some areas or as per statistics.

But to share my personal experience: My apartment is located right on S.V.Road at Malad West quite close to Marve Road Junction & on any weekday (including saturday) the honking noise is at its peak between 10:30 am to 1:00 pm.

I have been staying there since last 3 dacades & have simply experienced the traffic & honking worsening everyday. The same is my experience at Western Express Highway in morning & evening.

Thanks,
Old 20th February 2012, 15:08   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jignesh View Post
Ohhhh, you havent seen the Thane traffic as yet. The traffic starts off 20 secs before the signal turns green and even when the traffic from the other end hasnt stopped. I feel its the bikers and rickshaws who take the gamble of moving first and then follows the herd mentality. You get honked off if you dont budge till the signal gets green and then later a stare, list of abuses. Its getting uglier day by day. Try driving at 6pm on the Ghodbunder Road and you will see the traffic in its ugliest form.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:36   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
Another thing which people don't get is that if they are first at the signal, its their responsibility to pay attention to the damn thing. There are people dreaming for a good 10 seconds after the signal turns green before they start moving. Its because of people like that, that the habit of honking spreads.

I actually get quite irritated when these guys honk at a red signal.

Yesterday I was first at the signal & there was this biker right behind me. He was continuously honking, just so that I would move a few mts ahead & he could squeeze between my car & another one & occupy the first position. And as luck would have it, he came in front of me & blocked my way & when the signal turned green, he was day dreaming as you said.

Another cabbie was continuously honking as soon as the timer was at 3 seconds. At the next intersection, when I was with him, I had to ask him, "kyun itna horn bajate ho? Hum kya yahan chai peene ke liye ruke hain?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Anyone travelled on this stretch yet?
Me Me Me!

Problem is, now since there is fast movement of traffic in Kanjurmarg, while coming from EEH to powai, all cars pile up on the slope/uphill towards IIT.
Old 20th February 2012, 15:45   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Problem is, now since there is fast movement of traffic in Kanjurmarg, while coming from EEH to powai, all cars pile up on the slope/uphill towards IIT.
That I guess is mainly because of the traffic signal right at the tip of the slope just in front of the IIT gate to facilitate the school going children. IMO they could have done away with the signal had there been a foot over bridge at that spot.

Another thing which is irritating is that once the new Kanjurmarg ROB's are opened for traffic, the old ones are neglected. They should have repaired the old bridges so that traffic movement is smooth.
Old 13th March 2012, 07:53   #43
Senior - BHPian

Waghbill flyover in Thane thrown open to public - some good and bad news.

Some good news for Thaneites

The Waghbill flyover was yesterday thrown open to the public presumably forcefully by Shiv Sainiks. It is the last of the 4 flyovers being constructed on the Ghodbunder Road going towards Borivali. Its a delight and a huge relief to drive on the four lane flyover bypassing the busy and congesting Waghbill area.

The flyover was ready for the past month or so but there were no signs of it being inagurated for public use. Hence this move by Shiv Sena.

The bad news is there is already an accident on the new flyover. A container truck rammed into the divider early this morning and blocked one lane partially.
Old 13th March 2012, 08:54   #44
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Me Me Me!

I traveled on that flyover - traffic has definitely eased a whole lot. But I have never experienced the pile up towards Powai - not even when this bridge was uncomplete.

Infact the last week or so - there was a huge pile up at the EEH junction, took almost 20 mins to clear that junction. Resaon - cops handling the traffic instead of letting the signals work.
Old 14th March 2012, 10:26   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy View Post
Infact the last week or so - there was a huge pile up at the EEH junction, took almost 20 mins to clear that junction. Resaon - cops handling the traffic instead of letting the signals work.
Hmmm, last week? I was also stuck! Did you take a right towards Sion or a left towards Mulund.

I am asking this because I took a left towards Mulund & the reason the cops were handling the traffic is because there is some construction work going on bang on the left corner/turn which leaves just one lane for all the traffic moving towards mulund, causing a pile up.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks